Dr Michael F. A. Hippler
Senior Lecturer in Physical Chemistry
Telephone: +44 (0) 114 222 9505
Dr. Hippler obtained his Dipl. Phys. (diploma degree in Physics) from the Technical University of Karlsruhe, Germany in 1989. Subsequently, after his PhD in Chemistry from Heriot-Watt University in 1993, he became Postdoctoral research assistant and head teaching assistant at the Laboratorium für Physikalische Chemie of the ETH Zürich in Switzerland. In 2001 he did his "Habilitation" and "venia legendi" in Physical Chemistry at the ETH Zürich, after which he became a Lecturer in Physical Chemistry (Privatdozent) at the same institution. In 2005 he was appointed as a Senior Lecturer at the University of Sheffield.
Laser spectroscopy, gas phase analysis, ab initio theory, intermolecular association, hydrogen-bonding.
Physical Chemistry, Kinetics, Theory
The aim of my research is the development of new methods and applications of ultra-sensitive, high-resolution laser spectroscopy to study the structure and dynamics of molecules and clusters. The understanding of intramolecular primary processes in polyatomic molecules at the fully quantum dynamical level remains among the most challenging research questions in physics and chemistry, with applications also in biology and environmental sciences. High-resolution spectroscopy is among the most powerful tools in advancing such research and it is crucial in this context to develop new and ever more powerful spectroscopic experiments.
In my work in Zürich, I successfully developed new experimental techniques for the infrared laser spectroscopy of gas-phase molecules. These techniques have been applied to the study of intramolecular vibrational energy redistribution, vibrational mode-specific tunnelling of hydrogen-bonded clusters and stereomutation dynamics. In one class of experiments, pulsed IR laser systems are used to excite vibrational transitions and a second, subsequent UV laser pulse to ionise the excited molecules. Ionisation detection of IR excitation has been coupled with a mass spectrometer thus adding a second dimension to optical spectroscopy. In another class of experiments, the extreme sensitivity of cavity-ring-down (CRD) spectroscopy (effective absorption path lengths of several km) is combined with the very high resolution of continuous wave (cw) diode lasers (100 kHz). This technique has been applied to measure accurately the transition strengths and weak overtone transitions of molecules (nitrous oxide, methane) and of hydrogen-bonded clusters (HF dimer).
So far in Sheffield, I have studied molecular association by FTIR, Raman spectroscopy and high-level quantum-chemical calculations. For this purpose, I set up a very sensitive stimulated Raman experiment with photoacoustic detection ('PARS'). Among the intermolecular forces, the hydrogen-bond X-H...Y is particularly relevant. A hydrogen bond usually exhibits a characteristic 'red'-shift (shift to lower wavenumbers) of the X-H stretching vibration, but more unconventional 'blue'-shifting hydrogen bonds also occur and have become a hot topic of current research. In Sheffield, I have recently studied some unusual, "blue-shifting" hydrogen bonds (e.g., CHCl3...SO2 in the gas phase and open HCOOH structures in liquid formic acid) by theory and experiment.
Undergraduate and postgraduate taught modules
- Southam HM, Smith TW, Lyon RL, Liao C, Trevitt CR, Middlemiss LA, Cox FL, Chapman JA, El-Khamisy SF, Hippler M , Williamson MP et al (2018) A thiol-reactive Ru(II) ion, not CO release, underlies the potent antimicrobial and cytotoxic properties of CO-releasing molecule-3. Redox Biology, 18, 114-123. View this article in WRRO
- Ryabenkova Y, Jadav N, Conte M, Hippler MFA, Reeves-McLaren N, Coates PD, Twigg P & Paradkar A (2017) Mechanism of Hydrogen-Bonded Complex Formation between Ibuprofen and Nanocrystalline Hydroxyapatite. Langmuir, 33(12), 2965-2976. View this article in WRRO
- Hippler MF & Smith TW (2017) Cavity-Enhanced Raman Spectroscopy in the Biosciences: In Situ, Multicomponent, and Isotope Selective Gas Measurements To Study Hydrogen Production and Consumption by Escherichia coli. Analytical Chemistry, 89(3), 2147-2154. View this article in WRRO
- Conte M & Hippler MFA (2016) Dynamic NMR and Quantum-Chemical Study of the Stereochemistry and Stability of the Chiral MoO2(acac)2 Complex in Solution. The Journal of Physical Chemistry A, 120(34), 6677-6687. View this article in WRRO
- Tinajero-Trejo M, Rana N, Nagel C, Jesse HE, Smith TW, Wareham LK, Hippler M, Schatzschneider U & Poole RK (2016) Antimicrobial Activity of the Manganese Photoactivated Carbon Monoxide-Releasing Molecule [Mn(CO) 3 (tpa-κ 3 N )] + Against a Pathogenic Escherichia coli that Causes Urinary Infections. Antioxidants & Redox Signaling, 24(14), 765-780. View this article in WRRO
- Hippler M (2015) Cavity-Enhanced Raman Spectroscopy of Natural Gas with Optical Feedback cw-Diode Lasers. Analytical Chemistry, 87(15), 7803-7809. View this article in WRRO
- Vitórica‐Yrezábal IJ, Libri S, Loader JR, Espallargas GM, Hippler M, Fletcher AJ, Thompson SP, Warren JE, Musumeci D, Ward MD & Brammer L (2015) Coordination Polymer Flexibility Leads to Polymorphism and Enables a Crystalline Solid–Vapour Reaction: A Multi‐technique Mechanistic Study. Chemistry - A European Journal, 21(24), 8799-8811. View this article in WRRO
- Salter R, Chu J & Hippler M (2012) Cavity-enhanced Raman spectroscopy with optical feedback cw diode lasers for gas phase analysis and spectroscopy.. Analyst, 137(20), 4669-4676.
- Spencer CL, Watson V & Hippler M (2012) Trace gas detection of molecular hydrogen H(2) by photoacoustic stimulated Raman spectroscopy (PARS).. Analyst, 137(6), 1384-1388.
- Hippler M, Hesse S & Suhm MA (2010) Quantum-chemical study and FTIR jet spectroscopy of CHCl(3)-NH(3) association in the gas phase.. Phys Chem Chem Phys, 12(41), 13555-13565.
- Hippler M, Mohr C, Keen KA & McNaghten ED (2010) Cavity-enhanced resonant photoacoustic spectroscopy with optical feedback cw diode lasers: A novel technique for ultratrace gas analysis and high-resolution spectroscopy.. J Chem Phys, 133(4), 044308.
- Mohr C, Spencer CL & Hippler M (2010) Inexpensive raman spectrometer for undergraduate and graduate experiments and research. Journal of Chemical Education, 87(3), 326-330.
- Espallargas GM, Hippler M, Florence AJ, Fernandes P, van de Streek J, Brunelli M, David WIF, Shankland K & Brammer L (2007) Reversible gas uptake by a nonporous crystalline solid involving multiple changes in covalent bonding.. J Am Chem Soc, 129(50), 15606-15614.
- Hippler M, Oeltjen L & Quack M (2007) High-resolution continuous-wave-diode laser cavity ring-down spectroscopy of the hydrogen fluoride dimer in a pulsed slit jet expansion: two components of the N=2 triad near 1.3 microm.. J Phys Chem A, 111(49), 12659-12668.
- Hippler M (2007) Quantum chemical study and infrared spectroscopy of hydrogen-bonded CHCl(3)-NH(3) in the gas phase.. J Chem Phys, 127(8), 084306.
- Chung S & Hippler M (2006) Infrared spectroscopy of hydrogen-bonded CHCl3-SO2 in the gas phase.. J Chem Phys, 124(21), 214316.
- Hippler M (2005) Quantum-chemical study of CHCl3-SO2 association.. J Chem Phys, 123(20), 204311.
- Hippler M (2005) Does a photochemical reaction have a kinetic order? Reply. JOURNAL OF CHEMICAL EDUCATION, 82(1), 37-U2.
- Hippler M, Pfab R & Quack M (2003) Isotopomer-selective overtone spectroscopy of jet-cooled benzene by ionization detected IR + UV double resonance: The N = 2 CH chromophore absorption of 12C
6H 6and 13C12C 5H 6near 6000 cm-1. Journal of Physical Chemistry A, 107(49), 10743-10752.
- Albert Keppler K, Albert S, Gottselig M, Hippler M, Hollenstein H, Oeltjen L, Quack M, Seyfang G, Sieben A, Stohner J & Willeke M (2003) Physical Methods for Molecular and Biomolecular Structure and Dynamics. Chimia, 57(10), 659-666.
- Hippler M (2003) Photochemical kinetics: Reaction orders and analogies with molecular beam scattering and cavity ring-down experiments. Journal of Chemical Education, 80(9), 1074-1077.
- Hippler M (2002) Proton relaxation and intermolecular structure of liquid formic acid: A nuclear magnetic resonance study. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 4(8), 1457-1463.
- Hippler M & Quack M (2002) High-resolution Fourier transform infrared and cw-diode laser cavity ringdown spectroscopy of the ν
2+2ν 3band of methane near 7510 cm-1 in slit jet expansions and at room temperature. Journal of Chemical Physics, 116(14), 6045-6055.
- Hippler M & Quack M (1999) Cw cavity ring-down infrared absorption spectroscopy in pulsed supersonic jets: Nitrous oxide and methane. Chemical Physics Letters, 314(3-4), 273-281.
- Hippler M (1999) Interference in two-photon rotational line strengths of diatomic molecules. Molecular Physics, 97(1-2), 105-116.
- HIPPLER MICHAEL & PFAB JOSEF (1998) Electronic spectroscopy of the C state of NO by laser multiphoton ionization: rotational structure of the C 2II (v = 0) ← X 2II (v'' = 0) two-photon band. Molecular Physics, 94(2), 313-323.
- Fehrensen B, Hippler M & Quack M (1998) Isotopomer-selective overtone spectroscopy by ionization detected IR + UV double resonance of jet-cooled aniline. Chemical Physics Letters, 298(4-6), 320-328.
- He Y, Hippler M & Quack M (1998) High-resolution cavity ring-down absorption spectroscopy of nitrous oxide and chloroform using a near-infrared cw diode laser. Chemical Physics Letters, 289(5-6), 527-534.
- Hippler M & Pfab J (1998) Electronic spectroscopy of the C state of NO by laser multiphoton ionization: Rotational structure of the C2Pi(v'=0)«-X2Pi(v"=0) two-photon band. Molecular Physics, 94(2), 313-323.
- Carell T, Haefliger P, Hippler M, Mezzetti A, Studer A & Thilgen C (1997) The 36th IUPAC Congress: Frontiers in chemistry, new perspectives for the 2000s. CHIMIA, 51(12), 952-962.
- Hippler M, Quack M, Schwarz R, Seyfang G, Matt S & Märk T (1997) Infrared multiphoton excitation, dissociation and ionization of C
60. Chemical Physics Letters, 278(1-3), 111-120.
- Hippler M & Quack M (1997) Intramolecular energy transfer from isotope selective overtone spectroscopy by vibrationally assisted dissociation and photofragment ionization. Berichte der Bunsengesellschaft/Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 101(3), 356-362.
- Hippler M & Quack M (1996) Isotope selective overtone spectroscopy of CHCl
3by vibrationally assisted dissociation and photofragment ionization. Journal of Chemical Physics, 104(19), 7426-7430.
- Hippler M & Pfab J (1995) Detection and probing of nitric oxide (NO) by two-colour laser photoionisation (REMPI) spectroscopy on the A ← X transition. Chemical Physics Letters, 243(5-6), 500-505.
- Hippler M & Quack M (1994) Overtone spectroscopy by vibrationally assisted dissociation and photofragment ionization. Chemical Physics Letters, 231(1), 75-80.
- Hippler M & Pfab J (1993) Optogalvanic spectroscopy of argon and wavelength calibration in the near-ultraviolet. Optics Communications, 97(5-6), 347-352.
- King DA, Kleyn AW, Asscher M, Auerbach DJ, Luntz AC, Stone AJ, Murata Y, Holloway S, Kunimori K, Zacharias H , Pfab J et al (1993) General discussion. Faraday Discussions, 96, 349-368.
- Hippler M & Pfab J (1992) Faraday communications. Electronic absorption spectrum of methyl nitrite in the near-ultraviolet. Journal of the Chemical Society, Faraday Transactions, 88(14), 2109-2110.
- McCoustra MRS, Hippler M & Pfab J (1992) The 355 nm laser photolysis of jet-cooled methyl nitrite (CH
3ONO). Internal energy distributions of the NO fragment. Chemical Physics Letters, 200(5), 451-458.
- Hippler M, McCoustra MRS & Pfab J (1992) Structured absorption spectrum and vibrational state-selectivity in the photodissociation of methyl nitrite in the near-UV. Chemical Physics Letters, 198(1-2), 168-176.
- Hippler M, Al-Janabi FAH & Pfab J (1992) Photodissociation of jet-cooled methyl and t-butyl nitrite near 380 nm. Chemical Physics Letters, 192(2-3), 173-178.
- HIPPLER M & HERTZ HG (1992) NUCLEAR-MAGNETIC-RESONANCE STUDY OF PROTON RELAXATION IN LIQUID FORMAMIDE, AND OF ITS INTERMOLECULAR STRUCTURE. ZEITSCHRIFT FUR PHYSIKALISCHE CHEMIE-INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF RESEARCH IN PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY & CHEMICAL PHYSICS, 175, 25-39.
- Polanyi JC, Neumark DM, Schatz G, Truhlar DG, Valentini JJ, Taylor H, Balint-Kurti GG, Manolopoulos DE, Child MS, Manz J , Kubach C et al (1991) General discussion. Faraday Discussions of the Chemical Society, 91, 111-172.
- HIPPLER M, YATES AJ & PFAB J (1991) ULTRA-TRACE ANALYSIS OF NO BY HIGH-RESOLUTION LASER FLUORESCENCE AND IONIZATION SPECTROSCOPY. INSTITUTE OF PHYSICS CONFERENCE SERIES(113), 303-306.
- Alahmari S, Kang X-W & Hippler M () Diode laser photoacoustic spectroscopy of CO2, H2S and O2 in a differential Helmholtz resonator for trace gas analysis in the biosciences and petrochemistry. Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry.
- Hippler M, Miloglyadov E, Quack M & Seyfang G (2011) Mass and Isotope‐Selective Infrared Spectroscopy, Handbook of High-resolution Spectroscopy
- Quack M & Hippler M (2005) Isotope Selective Infrared Spectroscopy and Intramolecular Dynamics, Isotope Effects In Chemistry and Biology (pp. 305-360).
- () Isotope Effects In Chemistry and Biology CRC Press
Conference proceedings papers
- Alahmari S & Hippler M (2018) Helmholtz resonator diode laser photoacoustic spectroscopy for trace gas analysis in the environment and the biosciences (pp sem2j.4)
- HIPPLER M & QUACK M (1995) OVERTONE SPECTROSCOPY OF CHLOROFORM IN A SUPERSONIC JET BY VIBRATIONALLY ASSISTED DISSOCIATION AND PHOTOFRAGMENT IONIZATION. BERICHTE DER BUNSEN-GESELLSCHAFT-PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY CHEMICAL PHYSICS, Vol. 99(3) (pp 417-421)
- HIPPLER M, YATES AJ & PFAB J (1991) ULTRA-TRACE ANALYSIS OF NO BY HIGH-RESOLUTION LASER FLUORESCENCE AND IONIZATION SPECTROSCOPY. OPTOGALVANIC SPECTROSCOPY, Vol. 113 (pp 303-306)