Dr Domenico Bau
Department of Civil and Structural Engineering
Sir Frederick Mappin Building
Mappin Street, Sheffield, S1 3JD
Telephone: +44 (0) 114 22 20253
Fax: +44 (0) 114 222 5701
Room: G13 Kroto
My research helps to prevent water pollution and protect us from contaminants.
Dr Domenico Bau
Domenico’s research explores computational methods of modelling the movement of fluids in the subsurface, such as groundwater, oil and gas, contaminant transport (including chemicals within fluids), and the mechanics of soil and fluid formations. By understanding the characterisation of the area below the surface of the earth, its structure and how it behaves, his work can help prevent water pollution, protect us from contaminants, and reduce uncertainty and risk in the subsurface management.
Domenico has an undergraduate degree in Structural Engineering from the University of Padua, Italy, and a PhD in Environmental Engineering from Michigan Technological University, USA. For his undergraduate and graduate studies, he developed numerical models to assess the environmental impact associated with the development of gas reservoirs and aquifers, and he designed remediation systems for the cleanup of contaminated groundwater plumes. In his academic career, he has led research projects focusing on the design of systems for carbon geological storage, management of water supply from integrated aquifer-catchment systems, and characterisation of geomechanical parameters of gas reservoirs using land-surface deformation data.
Domenico joined the Department in 2014. His current research concentrates on subsurface hydrology, with a particular focus on: the development and use of computer models to simulate groundwater flow and reactive contaminant transport, as well as deformation in geologic formations due to fluid extraction. He also focuses on the development of computational methods for characterising hydrogeological properties using field observations.
- Bahrawi J, Fontane DG & Bau D (2010) Stochastic Analysis of the Impacts of Rainfall on Groundwater Recharge. VDM Verlag.
- González-Nicolás A, Bau D & Cody BM (2018) Application of Binary Permeability Fields for the Study of CO2 Leakage from Geological Carbon Storage in Saline Aquifers of the Michigan Basin. Mathematical Geosciences, 50(5), 525-547. View this article in WRRO
- Alzraiee AH, Bailey R & Bau D (2017) Assimilation of historical head data to estimate spatial distributions of stream bed and aquifer hydraulic conductivity fields. Hydrological Processes, 31(7), 1527-1538. View this article in WRRO
- Bekbauov B, Berdyshev A, Baishemirov Z & Bau D (2017) Numerical Validation of Chemical Compositional Model for Wettability Alteration Processes. Open Engineering, 7(1).
- Bau D, Alzraiee A, Zoccarato C, Gambolati G, Ferronato M, Bottazzi F, Mantica S & Teatini P (2016) Testing a data assimilation approach to reduce geomechanical uncertainties in modelling land subsidence. Environmental Geotechnics, 3(6), 386-396. View this article in WRRO
- Zoccarato C, Baù D, Bottazzi F, Ferronato M, Gambolati G, Mantica S & Teatini P (2016) On the importance of the heterogeneity assumption in the characterization of reservoir geomechanical properties. Geophysical Journal International, 207(1), 47-58. View this article in WRRO
- Zoccarato C, Baù D, Ferronato M, Gambolati G, Alzraiee A & Teatini P (2016) Data assimilation of surface displacements to improve geomechanical parameters of gas storage reservoirs. Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth, 121(3), 1441-1461.
- González-Nicolás A, Baù D & Alzraiee A (2015) Detection of potential leakage pathways from geological carbon storage by fluid pressure data assimilation. Advances in Water Resources, 86, 366-384.
- Zoccarato C, Baù D, Bottazzi F, Ferronato M, Gambolati G, Mantica S & Teatini P (2015) Estimate of a spatially variable reservoir compressibility by assimilation of ground surface displacement data. Proceedings of the International Association of Hydrological Sciences, 372, 351-356. View this article in WRRO
- González-Nicolás A, Baù D, Cody BM & Alzraiee A (2015) Stochastic and global sensitivity analyses of uncertain parameters affecting the safety of geological carbon storage in saline aquifers of the Michigan Basin. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, 37, 99-214. View this article in WRRO
- Bau D, Cody BM & González-Nicolás A (2015) An iterative global pressure solution for the semi-analytical simulation of geological carbon sequestration. Computational Geosciences: modeling, simulation and data analysis, 19(4), 781-789. View this article in WRRO
- Cody BM, Baù D & González-Nicolás A (2015) Stochastic injection-strategy optimization for the preliminary assessment of candidate geological storage sites. Hydrogeology Journal, 23(6), 1229-1245. View this article in WRRO
- González-Nicolás A, Baù D, Cody BM & Alzraiee A (2015) Stochastic and global sensitivity analyses of uncertain parameters affecting the safety of geological carbon storage in saline aquifers of the Michigan Basin. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control, 37, 99-114. View this article in WRRO
- Baù D, Ferronato M, Gambolati G, Teatini P & Alzraiee A (2015) Ensemble smoothing of land subsidence measurements for reservoir geomechanical characterization. International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics, 39(2), 207-228. View this article in WRRO
- Alzraiee AH, Baù D & Elhaddad A (2014) Estimation of heterogeneous aquifer parameters using centralized and decentralized fusion of hydraulic tomography data. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 18, 3207-3223. View this article in WRRO
- Crestani E, Camporese M, Baú D & Salandin P (2013) Ensemble Kalman filter versus ensemble smoother for assessing hydraulic conductivity via tracer test data assimilation. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 17(4), 1517-1531.
- Alzraiee AH, Bau DA & Garcia LA (2013) Multiobjective design of aquifer monitoring networks for optimal spatial prediction and geostatistical parameter estimation. Water Resources Research, 49(6), 3670-3684.
- Bailey RT, Baù DA & Gates TK (2012) Estimating spatially-variable rate constants of denitrification in irrigated agricultural groundwater systems using an Ensemble Smoother. Journal of Hydrology, 468-469, 188-202.
- Baú DA (2012) Planning of Groundwater Supply Systems Subject to Uncertainty Using Stochastic Flow Reduced Models and Multi-Objective Evolutionary Optimization. Water Resources Management, 26(9), 2513-2536.
- Bailey RT & Baù D (2012) Estimating geostatistical parameters and spatially-variable hydraulic conductivity within a catchment system using an ensemble smoother. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 16(2), 287-304.
- Baú DA & Lee J (2011) Multi-objective optimization for the design of groundwater supply systems under uncertain parameter distribution. Pacific Journal of Optimization, 7(3), 407-424.
- Bailey RT & Baù D (2011) Estimating spatially-variable first-order rate constants in groundwater reactive transport systems. Journal of Contaminant Hydrology, 122(1-4), 104-121.
- Bailey R & Baù D (2010) Ensemble smoother assimilation of hydraulic head and return flow data to estimate hydraulic conductivity distribution. Water Resources Research, 46(12).
- Teatini P, Ferronato M, Gambolati G, Baù D & Putti M (2010) Anthropogenic Venice uplift by seawater pumping into a heterogeneous aquifer system. Water Resources Research, 46(11).
- Baú DA & Mayer AS (2008) Optimal design of pump-and-treat systems under uncertain hydraulic conductivity and plume distribution. Journal of Contaminant Hydrology, 100(1-2), 30-46.
- Baú DA & Mayer AS (2007) Data-worth analysis for multiobjective optimal design of pump-and-treat remediation systems. Advances in Water Resources, 30(8), 1815-1830.
- Baú DA & Mayer AS (2006) Stochastic management of pump-and-treat strategies using surrogate functions. Advances in Water Resources, 29(12), 1901-1917.
- Ferronato M, Gambolati G, Teatini P & Baù D (2006) Stochastic poromechanical modeling of anthropogenic land subsidence. International Journal of Solids and Structures, 43(11-12), 3324-3336.
- Bau D, Ferronato M, Gambolati G & Teatini P (2004) Surface Flow Boundary Conditions in Modeling Land Subsidence Due to Fluid Withdrawal. Ground Water, 42(4), 516-525.
- Ferronato M, Gambolati G, Teatini P & Baù D (2004) Radioactive Marker Measurements in Heterogeneous Reservoirs: Numerical Study. International Journal of Geomechanics, 4(2), 79-92.
- Baú D & Mayer AS (2004) Analysis of the impact of layered soil heterogeneity on optimal policies for groundwater, remediation. Developments in Water Science, 55(PART 2), 1159-1170.
- Ferronato M, Gambolati G, Teatini P & Bau D (2003) Interpretation of Radioactive Marker Measurements To Evaluate Compaction in the Northern Adriatic Gas Fields. SPE Reservoir Evaluation & Engineering, 6(06), 401-411.
- Baú D, Ferronato M, Gambolati G & Teatini P (2002) Basin-scale compressibility of the northern Adriatic by the radioactive marker technique. Géotechnique, 52(8), 605-616.
- Ferronato M, Gambolati G, Teatini P & Baù D (2001) Land surface uplift above compacting overconsolidated reservoirs. International Journal of Solids and Structures, 38(46-47), 8155-8169.
- Baú D, Ferronato M, Gambolati G & Teatini P (2001) Land Subsidence Spreading Factor of the Northern Adriatic Gas Fields, Italy. International Journal of Geomechanics, 1(4), 459-475.
- Teatini P, Baú D & Gambolati G (2000) Water-gas dynamics and coastal land subsidence over Chioggia Mare field, northern Adriatic Sea. Hydrogeology Journal, 8(5), 462-479.
- Baü D, Gambolati G & Teatini P (2000) Waterdrive dynamics and enhanced land subsidence over productive gas fields: Application to Dosso degli Angeli reservoir, Ravenna, Italy. Special Paper of the Geological Society of America, 348, 129-149.
- Gambolati G, Teatini P, Baú D & Ferronato M (2000) Importance of poroelastic coupling in dynamically active aquifers of the Po River Basin, Italy. Water Resources Research, 36(9), 2443-2459.
- BAU D, GAMBOLATI G & TEATINI P (1999) Residual Land Subsidence Over Depleted Gas Fields in the Northern Adriatic Basin. Environmental & Engineering Geoscience, V(4), 389-405.
- Bau D, Gambolati G & Teatini P (1999) Residual land subsidence over depleted gas fields in the northern adriatic basin. ENVIRONMENTAL & ENGINEERING GEOSCIENCE, 5(4), 389-405.
- Bau D & El-Din Hassan AS (2015) Management of Aquifer Systems Connected to Streams Using Semi-Analytical Models In Wang LK, Yang CT & Wang M-HS (Ed.), Advances in Water Resources Management (pp. 111-246). Springer
Conference proceedings papers
- Zoccarato C, Ferronato M, Gambolati G, Teatini P & Baù D (2016) Ensemble smoothing of land displacements and deep compaction for the geomechanical characterization of hydrocarbon reservoirs. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering: From the Past to the Future, Vol. 2 (pp 1171-1176)
- Zoccarato C, Ferronato M, Gambolati G, Janna C, Teatini P, Alzraiee A & Baú D (2015) Data assimilation of SAR-based measurements for geomechanical characterization. Computer Methods and Recent Advances in Geomechanics - Proceedings of the 14th Int. Conference of International Association for Computer Methods and Recent Advances in Geomechanics, IACMAG 2014 (pp 1229-1234)
- Zoccarato C, Alzraiee A, Bau D, Ferronato M, Gambolati G, Janna C & Teatini P (2014) Geomechanical characterization of storage reservoirs by assimilation of surface displacements. 4th EAGE CO2 Geological Storage Workshop 2014: Demonstrating Storage Integrity and Building Confidence in CCS (pp 92-96)
- Bailey RT & Bau DA (2010) INVERSE MODELLING OF HYDRAULIC CONDUCTIVITY DISTRIBUTION BY ASSIMILATION OF RETURN FLOW DATA. PROCEEDINGS OF THE XVIII INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON COMPUTATIONAL METHODS IN WATER RESOURCES (CMWR 2010) (pp 879-886)
- Teatini P, Ferronato M, Gambolati G, Bau D & Putti M (2010) STOCHASTIC ANALYSIS OF THE VENICE UPLIFT DUE TO SEAWATER INJECTION INTO DEEP AQUIFERS. PROCEEDINGS OF THE XVIII INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON COMPUTATIONAL METHODS IN WATER RESOURCES (CMWR 2010) (pp 534-541)
- Bau D, Gambolati G & Teatini P (2000) Under-relaxed iterations for coupled finite element solution to gas and water dynamics in depleted reservoirs. Computational methods in water resources - Volume 1 - Computational methods for subsurface flow and transport (pp 195-200)