Dr Iman Hajirasouliha
Senior Lecturer in Structural Engineering
Department of Civil and Structural Engineering
Sir Frederick Mappin Building
Mappin Street, Sheffield, S1 3JD
Telephone: +44 (0) 114 222 5710
Fax: +44 (0) 114 222 5700
PhD (Sharif University of Technology); MSc (Sharif University of Technology); BSc (Isfahan University of Technology).
Dr Hajirasouliha obtained his PhD in 2006 from Sharif University of Technology in Iran, which is one of the leading technological universities in the Middle East. His research led to the development of an advanced theory for optimum performance-based design of structures that was awarded the “Tavakoli Prize” for conducting original research at Sharif University of Technology and “Distinguished Young Researcher Award” by the Iranian Earthquake Engineering Association. After being a lecturer in Civil Engineering Department at University of Science and Culture for two years, he was awarded a Marie Curie Research Fellowship at the University of Sheffield on the use of internal FRP reinforcement in new RC structures. In 2009, Dr Hajirasouliha received a prestigious Marie Curie individual fellowship (IIF) at The University of Sheffield on optimum strengthening of deficient RC buildings using FRP composites. From 2010 to 2012, he was a Lecturer in Structural Engineering at the University of Nottingham, where he was convener of “Advanced Concrete Structures” and “Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics” modules. In 2012, Dr Hajirasouliha was appointed Lecturer in Structural Engineering in the Department of Civil and Structural Engineering at The University of Sheffield. He has been principal or co-investigator of several EU and nationally funded projects.
Dr Hajirasouliha has extensive research experience in Earthquake Engineering, Structural Dynamics, Performance-Based Design, Optimisation, Structural Strengthening, Cold-formed Steel Structures, and Soil-Structure Interaction. He is currently the leader of the Earthquake Engineering Group (EEG) at The University of Sheffield.
Activities and Distinctions
- Invited Lecturer, Nottingham Trent University (2011- present)
- Invited Lecturer, University of Science and Culture (2008- present)
- Individual Marie Curie International Incoming Fellowship (2009)
- The Marie Curie Research Fellowship, En-core MCRTN (2008)
- Distinguished Lecturer, University of Science and Culture, Iran (2007)
- Distinguished Young Researcher award, Iranian Earthquake Engineering Association (2006)
- Tavakoli Prize for conducting original research, Sharif University of Technology (2005)
- The British Council Chevening Scholarship award, The University of Sheffield (2003)
- 2014-2015: “Performance-Based Optimisation of Novel Lightweight Steel Frame Systems for Rapid, Economical and Sustainable Construction” funded by EPSRC (1st Grant). Investigator: I Hajirasouliha. Value: £101,000.
- 2013-2017: “Innovative Reuse of All Tyre Components in Concrete (Anagennisi)” funded by European Commission FP7. Investigators: K Pilakoutas (PI), M Guadagnini, I Hajirasouliha. Value: €4,455,000.
- 2013-2017: “COST Action TU1207: Next Generation Design Guidelines for Composites in Construction” funded by COST Office European Commission FP7. Investigators: M Guadagnini (PI), K Pilakoutas, I Hajirasouliha. Value: €520,000.
- 2013-2017: “MC ITN European Network for Durable Reinforcement and Rehabilitation Solutions (endure)” funded by European Commission FP7. Investigators: M Guadagnini (PI), K Pilakoutas, I Hajirasouliha. Value: €3,870,520.
- 2011-2012: Early Career Research and Knowledge Transfer Grant to work on "Resilience of multi-storey structures under extreme loading conditions" funded by the University of Nottingham. Investigator: I Hajirasouliha. Value: £47,800.
- 2010-2012: "Seismic Strengthening of Deficient RC Buildings Using Ductile Post-Tensioned Metal Straps" funded by European Union FP7 (SERIES). Principal Investigator: K Pilakoutas. Co-Investigator and Proposal Coordinator: I Hajirasouliha. Value: £186,430.
- 2008-2010: Marie Curie International Incoming Fellowship funded by European Union FP7 to work on "Optimal Seismic Rehabilitation of Reinforced Concrete Buildings Using FRP Composites". Investigator: K Pilakoutas and I Hajirasouliha. Value: £180,217.
Staff Member Responsible (SMR) for postgraduate module CIV4181/6181 “Structural Dynamics and Applications to Earthquake Engineering and Vibration” .
- Helal Y, Garcia R, Pilakoutas K, Guadagnini M & Hajirasouliha I (2016) Strengthening of short splices in RC beams using Post-Tensioned Metal Straps. Materials and Structures, 49(1-2), 133-147. View this article in WRRO
- Ma W, Becque J, Hajirasouliha I & Ye J (2015) Cross-sectional optimization of cold-formed steel channels to Eurocode 3. Engineering Structures, 101, 641-651. View this article in WRRO
- Garcia R, Pilakoutas K, Hajirasouliha I, Guadagnini M, Kyriakides N & Ciupala MA (2015) Seismic Retrofitting of RC Buildings Using CFRP and Post-Tensioned Metal Straps: Shake Table Tests. Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering. View this article in WRRO
- Atashzaban A, Hajirasouliha I, Jazany RA & Izadinia M (2015) Optimum drilled flange moment resisting connections for seismic regions. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 112, 325-338. View this article in WRRO
- Russell JM, Owen JS & Hajirasouliha I (2015) Experimental investigation on the dynamic response of RC flat slabs after a sudden column loss. Engineering Structures, 99, 28-41.
- Parastesh H, Hajirasouliha I & Ramezani R (2014) A new ductile moment-resisting connection for precast concrete frames in seismic regions: An experimental investigation. Engineering Structures, 70, 144-157. View this article in WRRO
- Garcia R, Hajirasouliha I, Guadagnini M, Helal Y, Jemaa Y, Pilakoutas K, Mongabure P, Chrysostomou C, Kyriakides N, Ilki A, Budescu M, Taranu N, Ciupala MA, Torres L & Saiidi M (2014) Full-Scale Shaking Table Tests on a Substandard RC Building Repaired and Strengthened with Post-Tensioned Metal Straps. Journal of Earthquake Engineering, 18(2), 187-213. View this article in WRRO
- Jazany RA, Hajirasouliha I & Farshchi H (2013) Influence of masonry infill on the seismic performance of concentrically braced frames. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 88, 150-163. View this article in WRRO
- Tizani W, Wang ZY & Hajirasouliha I (2013) Hysteretic performance of a new blind bolted connection to concrete filled columns under cyclic loading: An experimental investigation. Engineering Structures, 46, 535-546. View this article in WRRO
- Al-Sunna R, Pilakoutas K, Hajirasouliha I & Guadagnini M (2012) Deflection behaviour of FRP reinforced concrete beams and slabs: An experimental investigation. Composites Part B: Engineering. View this article in WRRO
- Hajirasouliha I, Asadi P & Pilakoutas K (2012) An efficient Performance-Based Seismic Design of Reinforced Concrete Frames. Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, 40. View this article in WRRO
- Hajirasouliha I & Pilakoutas K (2012) General Seismic Load Distribution for Optimum Performance-Based Design of Shear-Buildings. Journal of Earthquake Engineering, 16(4), 443-462. View this article in WRRO
- Son KS, Hajirasouliha I & Pilakoutas K (2011) Strength and deformability of waste tyre rubber-filled reinforced concrete columns. Construction and Building Materials, 25(1), 218-226. View this article in WRRO
- Hajirasouliha I, Pilakoutas K & Moghaddam H (2011) Topology optimization for the seismic design of truss-like structures. COMPUT STRUCT, 89(7-8), 702-711. View this article in WRRO
- Hajirasouliha I & Doostan A (2010) A simplified model for seismic response prediction of concentrically braced frames. ADV ENG SOFTW, 41(3), 497-505. View this article in WRRO
- Garcia R, Hajirasouliha I & Pilakoutas K (2010) Seismic behaviour of deficient RC frames strengthened with CFRP composites. Engineering Structures, 32(10), 3075-3085. View this article in WRRO
- Hajirasouliha I & Moghaddam H (2009) New Lateral Force Distribution for Seismic Design of Structures. J STRUCT ENG-ASCE, 135(8), 906-915. View this article in WRRO
- (2006) Toward more rational criteria for determination of design earthquake forces. International Journal of Solids and Structures, 43(9), 2631-2645. View this article in WRRO
- Moghaddam H & Hajirasouliha I (2006) An investigation on the accuracy of pushover analysis for estimating the seismic deformation of braced steel frames. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 62(4), 343-351. View this article in WRRO
- Moghaddam H, Hajirasouliha I & Doostan A (2005) Optimum seismic design of concentrically braced steel frames: concepts and design procedures. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 61(2), 151-166. View this article in WRRO