Dr Maurizio Guadagnini
Department of Civil and Structural Engineering
Sir Frederick Mappin Building
Mappin Street, Sheffield, S1 3JD
Telephone: +44 (0) 114 222 5757
Fax: +44 (0) 114 222 5700
PhD, University of Sheffield; Laurea in Structural Engineering, University of Bologna, Italy
Dr Maurizio Guadagnini is a lecturer in the Department. He has extensive research experience in the experimental investigation and use of advanced composites as reinforcing materials for concrete structures, in design philosophy and in the development of design recommendations for the ongoing improvement of codes of practice used in Europe and throughout the world. For the past 9 years, he has been an active member of Task Group 9.3 of the International Federation for Structural Concrete (fib) and he has been involved in several national and international network groups and collaborative projects. He is currently responsible for the management of the European funded Marie Curie Network, EN-CORE, an extensive research and training initiative involving 11academic and industrial partners that has a total budget of €1.7M.
Since 2005 Dr Guadagnini has been a Concrete Centre Lecturer. A main objective of this endowed position is the ongoing development of innovative teaching and learning resources geared toward the creation and maintenance of an active and lasting collaboration between industry and academia.
Activities and Distinctions
- Member of the RILEM Technical Committee MSC – Masonry Strengthening with Composite Materials
- Member of the International Federation for Structural Concrete TG 9.3 "FRP Reinforcement for Concrete Structures"
- Member of the International Federation for Structural Concrete TG 4.5 "Bond Models"
- Member of IRAAC (International Research on Advanced Composites in Construction)
- Fergani H, Di Benedetti M, Miàs Oller C, Lynsdale C & Guadagnini M (2018) Durability and degradation mechanisms of GFRP reinforcement subjected to severe environments and sustained stress. Construction and Building Materials, 170, 637-648. View this article in WRRO
- Fergani H, Di Benedetti M, Miàs Oller C, Lynsdale C & Guadagnini M (2018) Long-term performance of GFRP bars in concrete elements under sustained load and environmental actions. Composite Structures, 190, 20-31. View this article in WRRO
- Ismail KS, Guadagnini M & Pilakoutas K (2018) Strut-and-Tie Modeling of Reinforced Concrete Deep Beams. Journal of Structural Engineering (United States), 144(2). View this article in WRRO
- Raffoul S, Garcia R, Escolano Margarit D, Guadagnini M, Hajirasouliha I & Pilakoutas K (2017) Behaviour of unconfined and FRP-confined rubberised concrete in axial compression. Construction and Building Materials, 147, 388-397. View this article in WRRO
- Miàs C, Torres L, Guadagnini M & Turon A (2015) Short and long-term cracking behaviour of GFRP reinforced concrete beams. Composites Part B: Engineering, 77, 223-231.
- Serbescu A, Guadagnini M & Pilakoutas K (2015) Mechanical Characterization of Basalt FRP Rebars and Long-Term Strength Predictive Model. Journal of Composites for Construction, 19(2), 04014037-04014037.
- Garcia R, Helal Y, Pilakoutas K & Guadagnini M (2014) Bond behaviour of substandard splices in RC beams externally confined with CFRP. Construction and Building Materials, 50, 340-351. View this article in WRRO
- Serbescu A, Guadagnini M & Pilakoutas K (2013) Standardised double-shear test for determining bond of FRP to concrete and corresponding model development. Composites Part B: Engineering, 55, 277-297.
- (2012) Deflection behaviour of FRP reinforced concrete beams and slabs: An experimental investigation. Composites Part B: Engineering, 43(5), 2125-2134. View this article in WRRO
- Barris C, Torres L, Baena M, Pilakoutas K & Guadagnini M (2012) Serviceability limit state of FRP RC beams. Advances in Structural Engineering, 15(4), 653-664.
- Iruansi O, Guadagnini M, Pilakoutas K & Neocleous K (2012) Predicting the shear resistance of RC beams without shear reinforcement using a Bayesian neural network. International Journal of Reliability and Safety, 6(1-3), 82-109.
- Pilakoutas K, Guadagnini M, Neocleous K & Matthys S (2011) Design guidelines for FRP reinforced concrete structures. Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers: Structures and Buildings, 164(4), 255-263.
- Guadagnini M, Pilakoutas K & Waldron P (2006) Shear resistance of FRP RC beams: Experimental study. Journal of Composites for Construction, 10(6), 464-473.
- Neocleous K, Pilakoutas K & Guadagnini M (2005) Failure-mode-hierarchy based design for reinforced concrete structures. Structural Concrete, 6(1), 23-32. View this article in WRRO
- Guadagnini M, Pilakoutas K & Waldron P (2003) Shear performance of FRP reinforced concrete beams. Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, 22(15), 1389-1407.
- Pilakoutas K, Neocleous K & Guadagnini M (2002) Design philosophy issues of fiber reinfored polymer reinforced concrete structures. Journal of Composites for Construction, 6(3), 154-161. View this article in WRRO