Professor Rachel Horn
Professor of Engineering Education
Faculty of Engineering Director of Learning and Teaching
Department of Civil and Structural Engineering
Sir Frederick Mappin Building
Mappin Street, Sheffield, S1 3JD
Telephone: +44 (0) 114 222 5792
Fax: +44 (0) 114 222 5700
- PhD, University of Cambridge; BA(Hons), University of Cambridge;
- CEng Member of the Institution of Civil Engineers
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Rachel joined the academic staff in 2005 after 10 years in practice as a Civil Engineer and Project Manager, and completion of a PhD in Flow Resistance of Floodplain Vegetation at the University of Cambridge. She is a Chartered Civil Engineer and a member of the Institution of Civil Engineers with experience in the design, construction and project management of numerous projects including roads, bridges and various building refurbishments. Rachel is currently a member of the Institution of Civil Engineers' Yorkshire and Humber Committee, the Joint Board of Moderators and the ICE Academic Qualifications Panel.
In the Department of Civil and Structural Engineering, Rachel led a recent review of undergraduate programmes, which led to development of a major 3rd year Integrated Design Project. Having taught a number of modules on construction and project management in the past, she now contributes to teaching and further development of the third year Integrated Design Project. She supervises MEng, BEng and MSc Individual Research Projects. Between 2011 and 2014, Rachel was Deputy Head of Department and Departmental Director of Learning and Teaching.
In addition to departmental teaching, Rachel is also a leading member of the faculty team who have developed and run the annual faculty-wide project weeks for all first and second year students (Global Engineering Challenge ~900 1st year engineers and Engineering, You’re Hired ~900 2nd year engineers).
Rachel is currently the Director of Learning and Teaching in the Faculty of Engineering, and contributes to numerous Faculty and University committees including University Learning and Teaching Committee, Careers Advisory Board, University of Sheffield International College, Senate and Learning and Teaching Professional Review Scheme Panel.
Professional / External Apointments and Achievements
- Member of the Joint Board of Moderators since 2015
- Institution of Civil Engineers Academic Qualifications Panel Member since 2013
- External advisor for programme reviews etc: Universities of Southampton, Bradford, Cardiff, Waikato (New Zealand)
- Institution of Civil Engineers Yorkshire and Humber Committee Member since 2010
- Member of the Association of Civil Engineering Departments Committee since 2012
- Royal Academy of Engineering, ExxonMobil Excellence in Teaching Award – 2012-13
- Sheffield Students’ Union Award for Internationalisation 2011-12
- Senate Award for Excellence in Learning and Teaching (Collaboration) – 2011-12
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy 2010
- Senate Award for Excellence in Learning and Teaching (Rising Stars) – 2009-10
Rachel's general research interests and area of scholarship lies in development of teaching and learning. Areas of specific interest include project based learning, internationalisation, peer instruction and assessment and professional development. This has resulted in several conference papers and awards.
Conference proceedings papers
- Murray P & Horn RP (2012) Inspiring global employability skills in a 1-week project. The Higher Education Academy STEM Conference. London, UK, April 2012.
- Horn RP & Murray P (2012) Global engineering challenge: A curriculum innovation to inspire rather than assess. 4th International Symposium for Engineering Education. Sheffield, UK, July 2012.
- Murray P & Horn RP (2012) A global curriculum and a global working environment. International Conference for Engineering Education. Coventry, UK, September 2012.