A career with impact
As a civil engineer, the work you do will have a direct and positive impact on people's lives, now and for future generations.
You'll be involved in projects that help create and shape the world, working at the forefront of inspiring and diverse developments. We work hard to ensure you graduate with skills that make you stand out in the jobs market.
- Industrial Partners – employers feed into our modules so teaching is relevant to industry needs
- University careers service
- Faculty of Engineering’s Year in Industry Team – support and guidance for placement students
- Our University teachers have extensive industry experience
- Year in Industry courses – get on-the-job experience, employability skills, and put your academic studies into context
- Industrial mentor scheme – students work with engineers in industry for insight into profession
- Annual Careers fairs with corporate partners – meet potential employers
- Careers wiki – bespoke guidance on careers in Civil & Structural Engineering
- Summer placement scheme – our links with companies help you find work experience during vacation time
- Virtual design consultancy – spend your summer working in our virtual company and enhancing your job skills
- Employability skills embedded in projects such as Global Engineering Challenge and Integrated Design Project – tackle real-world problems in international, multi-disciplinary, industry contexts
- Close links with key professional engineering institutions, the Institution of Civil Engineers, the Institution of Structural Engineers, the Institute of Highway Engineers and the Chartered Institution of Highways and Transportation.
We're proud to be academic partners of the Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE).
- ICE website
- Career prospects information from ICE (PDF: 4.9MB)
The challenges and opportunities in Civil Engineering in the UK, and indeed worldwide, are breathtaking and can only grow as increasing demand is placed on the world's limited resources. I have been particularly impressed by the quality of students and teaching at Sheffield in the light of this.
Dr David Tonks
Edge Consultants UK Ltd
We've built up strong links with leading consultants, contractors and specialist engineering firms. Some of these companies offer structured, paid vacation work, which may lead to sponsorship for subsequent years of your course or job offers. The Faculty of Engineering's Year in Industry Team are a dedicated team of staff who can help you with finding a suitable placement.
Because industry input into our programmes is strong, students typically opt for work experience in the summer vacation. However, if you decide you'd like to take a Year in Industry, you can integrate this into your course.
Lucas did a summer placement in Malaysia with Sunway Construction.
You could spend part of your course – three months or a year – in Europe, America, Canada, Australia or Asia. This is a great way to show employers you're an independent and resourceful person.
Our league table rankings
Top 50 in the world and 7th in the UK according to the QS World University rankings by subject (2022).
8th in the UK according to the Complete University Guide (2023).
10th in the UK according to the Times University League Table (2023).
Explore the University
Discover why Sheffield is the right choice for you at one of our open days or events.