Winter Graduation Ceremonies 2019
The information given on these web pages is extremely important. Please ensure you read them. Navigation is via the menu on the right of the screen (on a PC) or at the bottom of the page (mobile device).
Time of Ceremony
Arrive on campus (approx)
Seated in the hall
Ceremony finish time (approx)
Bring with you:
- Your eticket showing your seat numbers
- Robe order confirmation
- Photography order confirmation (if appropriate)
The safety and security of visitors to the university has always been and continues to be, our highest priority. With this forefront in our minds we will be implementing heightened security procedures at the forthcoming graduation ceremonies. As a condition of entry the following procedures will be in place:
- A search regime will be in place and all bags will be searched. No bag larger than a small handbag will be allowed into the building. Please do not bring large bags or suitcases to the Octagon Centre or the Sheffield Sudents' Union.
- There will be person searches on entry. Please be assured that the male and female staff conducting them are trained in person searches and will conduct them appropriately and with dignity.
- Alcohol is not permitted in the Octagon Centre and anyone who appears to be under the influence of alcohol will not be permitted entry.
- Please arrive as near as possible to the published opening times. Please bear in mind that you will need to arrive, robed, at the published time for your ceremony. Graduands will be given priority access to the Octagon Centre.
We would ask that guests be patient and understand that these heightened security procedures may impact on queue times and/or the prohibition of items permitted in the Octagon Centre.
The Graduation Enquires Desk is located in the foyer of the Octagon Centre and will be open from 8.15am to 5.00pm each day.
Getting to the venue
Graduation Ceremonies are held on central campus in the Octagon Centre. The full address of the venue is:
The Octagon Centre
University of Sheffield
We strongly advise that you do not bring a car to the Octagon Centre. Parking is extremely scarce and graduation ceremonies take place on working days. Sheffield has an excellent public transport system and we recommend that you take advantage of this.
For information on travelling by car to the University, including directions, please see our Visitors Information webpage: www.shef.ac.uk/visitors/mapsandtravel/car
Park & Ride
Supertram park and ride is a very convenient way for visitors arriving by car to travel to the University without having to drive through the city centre and find somewhere to park. For further information on this service, please see: www.shef.ac.uk/visitors/mapsandtravel/parkandride
Sheffield is a large city and like most cities in the UK, does experience heavy traffic.. We advise anyone travelling by car to ensure they take this in to consideration when planning their journey and to always allow extra travel time.
We also advise that you check with the Highways Agency m.highwaysengland.co.uk/ for advice regarding traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads, prior to setting off.
We always advice using public transport as parking on campus is extremely limited.
If you are travelling by car, parking is available on campus at the QPark Durham Road site. This car park has 560 spaces however, it gets extremely busy and spaces cannot be guaranteed.
There is also parking on the edge of campus at QPark Rockingham. This is a 530 space long-stay off-street car park, approximately half a mile from the Octagon Centre.
A map detailing all the car parks in the city centre can be found on the following page: www.sheffield.gov.uk/home/parking/car-parks
Due to the limited amount of space available, we regret that we are unable to allocate parking spaces for disabled graduands or guests. If your guests have mobility difficulties, we would recommend that these guests are dropped off at the Octagon Centre prior to parking the car. Campus Wardens on duty will assist blue badge holders if requested.
**Parking spaces cannot be guaranteed so leave plenty of time if you are arriving by car.**
You can download a copy of our Campus Map from the following web page: www.shef.ac.uk/visitors/mapsandtravel/university
During the winter months, the UK is likely to experience snowy and icy conditions. Unless you are advised otherwise, the ceremonies will be going ahead.
However, we always advise graduands and guests to take extra care and allow extra time for their journey. We strongly recommend that people use trains and trams to travel to the University and take extra care whilst walking around campus.
- For those travelling by car, please refer to the Highways Agency for advice regarding traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads: m.highwaysengland.co.uk/
- For those travelling by train, we advise you to check for service disruptions prior to setting off www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/today.aspx
- For those travelling by public transport within South Yorkshire, please see www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/News for current service disruptions.