Department of History
Thesis title: Exiles in Action: Political activism amongst the Chilean Refugees in the UK, 1973-2013.
My research will aim to explore the political activism of the Chilean refugees who fled to the UK following the military coup in 1973.
Political and human rights networks were formed locally, nationally and internationally and a great amount of solidarity was both received and given to other political struggles during that time.
The impact of political activity on the second generation, through the generational transmission of ideas and identities, will also be explored along with the ongoing activism of the Chilean diaspora after democratisation e.g. Extradite Pinochet Campaign of 1998 and Chile 40 years On.
Oral history will be used to capture the voices of the ordinary men and women caught up in extraordinary circumstances.
- PhD History, University of Sheffield, 2017 - present
- PGCE Learning and Skills Sector, Sheffield Hallam University (June 2009)
- MA(Res) Politics and International Relations: Distinction, University of Sheffield (Sept 2006)
- BA (Hons) Politics 2:1, South Bank University (June 1997)
- Professional activities
- UCU Branch Chair, City Lit.