Dr. Imran Aziz MBChB (Honours), MRCP (UK), MRCP (Gastroenterology), MD (research)
Senior Clinical Lecturer in Gastroenterology and Honorary Consultant Gastroenterologist
Department of Infection, Immunity & Cardiovascular Disease
University of Sheffield
Beech Hill Road
Tel: +44 (0) 114 215 9507
I qualified in Medicine from the University of Sheffield in 2004. I then undertook general medical and gastroenterology training in South Yorkshire until 2016. In addition, between the years 2012-2015, I successfully completed a post-graduate degree at the University of Sheffield on gluten-related disorders, focusing predominantly on non-coeliac wheat sensitivity. Following this, I moved to Sweden to undertake a two-year post-doctoral fellowship in functional gastrointestinal disorders at the Sahlgrenska Academy, University of Gothenburg. I returned back to Sheffield in October 2018 as a Senior Clinical Lecturer and Honorary Consultant Gastroenterologist.
My research interests are in functional gastrointestinal disorders and gluten-related disorders.
My teaching and other lecture duties cover clinical gastroenterology on both the MBChB and BDS course. I also provide postgraduate teaching to both junior doctors and allied healthcare professionals.
For Key Publications see below. For a full list of publications click here.
- Aziz I, Palsson OS, Whitehead WE, Sperber AD, Simrén M & Törnblom H (2019) Epidemiology, Clinical Characteristics, and Associations for Rome IV Functional Nausea and Vomiting Disorders in Adults. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology, 17(5), 878-886.
- Aziz I (2018) The Global Phenomenon of Self-Reported Wheat Sensitivity. American Journal of Gastroenterology, 113(7), 945-948.
- Aziz I, Törnblom H, Palsson OS, Whitehead WE & Simrén M (2018) How the Change in IBS Criteria From Rome III to Rome IV Impacts on Clinical Characteristics and Key Pathophysiological Factors. The American Journal of Gastroenterology, 113(7), 1017-1025.
- Aziz I, Palsson OS, Törnblom H, Sperber AD, Whitehead WE & Simrén M (2018) Epidemiology, clinical characteristics, and associations for symptom-based Rome IV functional dyspepsia in adults in the USA, Canada, and the UK: a cross-sectional population-based study. The Lancet Gastroenterology & Hepatology, 3(4), 252-262.
- Aziz I, Palsson OS, Törnblom H, Sperber AD, Whitehead WE & Simrén M (2018) The Prevalence and Impact of Overlapping Rome IV-Diagnosed Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders on Somatization, Quality of Life, and Healthcare Utilization: A Cross-Sectional General Population Study in Three Countries. The American Journal of Gastroenterology, 113(1), 86-96.
- Aziz I, Peerally MF, Barnes JH, Kandasamy V, Whiteley JC, Partridge D, Vergani P, Cross SS, Green PH & Sanders DS (2017) The clinical and phenotypical assessment of seronegative villous atrophy; a prospective UK centre experience evaluating 200 adult cases over a 15-year period (2000–2015). Gut, 66, 1563-1572. View this article in WRRO
- Aziz I, Törnblom H & Simrén M (2017) Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth as a cause for irritable bowel syndrome. Current Opinion in Gastroenterology, 33(3), 196-202.
- Aziz I, Trott N, Briggs R, North JR, Hadjivassiliou M & Sanders DS (2015) Efficacy of a Gluten-Free Diet in Subjects With Irritable Bowel Syndrome-Diarrhea Unaware of Their HLA-DQ2/8 Genotype. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology, 14(5), 696-703.e1.
- Aziz I, Hadjivassiliou M & Sanders DS (2015) The spectrum of noncoeliac gluten sensitivity. Nature Reviews Gastroenterology & Hepatology, 12(9), 516-526.
- Aziz I, Mumtaz S, Bholah H, Chowdhury FU, Sanders DS & Ford AC (2015) High Prevalence of Idiopathic Bile Acid Diarrhea Among Patients With Diarrhea-Predominant Irritable Bowel Syndrome Based on Rome III Criteria. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology, 13(9), 1650-1655.e2.
- Aziz I, Branchi F, Pearson K, Priest J & Sanders DS (2015) A Study Evaluating the Bidirectional Relationship Between Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Self-reported Non-celiac Gluten Sensitivity. Inflammatory Bowel Diseases, 21(4), 847-853.
- Aziz I, Lewis NR, Hadjivassiliou M, Winfield SN, Rugg N, Kelsall A, Newrick L & Sanders DS (2014) A UK study assessing the population prevalence of self-reported gluten sensitivity and referral characteristics to secondary care. European Journal of Gastroenterology & Hepatology, 26(1), 33-39.
- Aziz I, Hadjivassiliou M & Sanders DS (2012) Does gluten sensitivity in the absence of coeliac disease exist?. BMJ, 345(nov30 1), e7907-e7907.
- Evans KE, Aziz I, Cross SS, Sahota GRK, Hopper AD, Hadjivassiliou M & Sanders DS (2011) A Prospective Study of Duodenal Bulb Biopsy in Newly Diagnosed and Established Adult Celiac Disease. American Journal of Gastroenterology, 106(10), 1837-1742.
- Aziz I, Evans KE, Hopper AD, Smillie DM & Sanders DS (2010) A prospective study into the aetiology of lymphocytic duodenosis. Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics, 32(11-12), 1392-1397.