Dr Suvodeep Mazumdar
BTech (West Bengal), MSc (Sheffield), PhD (Sheffield), PG Cert (Sheffield Hallam), FHEA
Lecturer in Data Analytics
+44 114 222 2697
Full contact details
Regent Court (IS)
Following completion of my MSc in Advanced Computer Science at the University of Sheffield, I joined the Department of Computer Science as a researcher in the area of Human Computer Interaction, Data Visualisation and user interface development. I subsequently pursued my PhD, titled ‘Visualising Large Semantic Datasets: A generic, scalable and aesthetic approach’. My PhD thesis focused on applying interactive visualisations and User-Centered Design techniques to support exploration of large semantic datasets. I briefly worked in the Centre for Assistive Technology and Connected Healthcare as a research scientist before joining the Department of Computer Science in 2014 as a postdoctoral researcher to continue my research on large scale data analytics. I joined Sheffield Hallam University as a lecturer in Computing in September 2017, and subsequently joined the Information School in the University of Sheffield as a lecturer in October, 2018.
- Research interests
My research explores developing techniques and mechanisms for reducing the barrier for user communities in understanding very large complex multidimensional datasets. I conduct inter-disciplinary research on highly engaging, interactive and visual mechanisms in conjunction with complex querying techniques for seamless navigation, exploration and understanding of complex datasets. I have applied my research in a wide range of application domains such as Aerospace Engineering, Sports Informatics, Crisis/Emergency Management, Smart Cities and Mobility Planning. As a part of my research, I collaborate with large multi-disciplinary teams of academics, industry partners, city councils and planners. I have worked in several large research and industrial projects funded by the European Union, Innovate UK and European Space Agency. My research includes:
- Studying and developing data and visual analytic techniques to analyse massive volumes of dynamic data in near real time;
- Citizen Science and Crowdsourcing techniques for observing physical phenomena, events and environments;
- User Interface development, Human Computer Interaction and User Centered Design;
- Assistive technologies to support independent activities of daily living.
- Explainable artificial intelligence for developing smart cities solutions. Smart Cities, 3(4), 1353-1382. View this article in WRRO
- Citizen science on Twitter : using data analytics to understand conversations and networks. Future Internet, 12(12). View this article in WRRO
- Remote home visit: Exploring the feasibility, acceptability and potential benefits of using digital technology to undertake occupational therapy home assessments. British Journal of Occupational Therapy. View this article in WRRO
- A novel application of deep learning with image cropping : a smart city use case for flood monitoring. Journal of Reliable Intelligent Environments. View this article in WRRO
- Harnessing Location-based Services for Effective Citizen Observatories.. International Journal of Spatial Data Infrastructures Research, 13, 101-108. View this article in WRRO
- Citizen Science and Crowdsourcing for Earth Observations: An Analysis of Stakeholder Opinions on the Present and Future. Remote Sensing, 9(1), 87-87. View this article in WRRO
- View this article in WRRO Citizen observatories for effective Earth observations: the WeSenseIt Approach. environmental SCIENTIST, 25(2), 56-61.
- Communicating with Citizens on the Ground: A Practical Study. International Journal of Information Systems for Crisis Response and Management, 8(2), 50-69. View this article in WRRO
- Affective graphs: The visual appeal of Linked Data. Semantic Web, 6(3), 277-312. View this article in WRRO
- Social Influence Analysis in Microblogging Platforms - A Topic-Sensitive based Approach. Semantic Web – Interoperability, Usability, Applicability, 5(5), 357-372. View this article in WRRO
- Exploring user and system requirements of linked data visualization through a visual dashboard approach. Semantic Web – Interoperability, Usability, Applicability, 5(3), 203-220.
- Citizen science technologies and new opportunities for participation In Hecker S, Haklay M, Bowser A, Makuch Z, Vogel J & Bonn A (Ed.), Citizen Science Innovation in Open Science, Society and Policy UCL Press
- Citizen Science for Observing and Understanding the Earth, Earth Observation Open Science and Innovation (pp. 69-88). Springer International Publishing
- Erratum to: Citizen Science for Observing and Understanding the Earth, Earth Observation Open Science and Innovation (pp. E1-E1). Springer International Publishing
- Big Data and Cyber Security: A Visual Analytics Perspective, Computer Communications and Networks (pp. 367-381). Springer International Publishing
- Crowdsourcing to enhance insights from satellite observations In Bordogna G & Carrara P (Ed.), Mobile information Systems leveraging Volunteered Geographic Information for Earth Observation (pp. 35-52). Springer View this article in WRRO
- Semantic Web Evaluation Challenges Springer International Publishing View this article in WRRO
- NL-Graphs: A Hybrid Approach toward Interactively Querying Semantic Data, The Semantic Web: Trends and Challenges (pp. 565-579). Springer International Publishing
- Extracting Semantic User Networks from Informal Communication Exchanges, The Semantic Web – ISWC 2011 (pp. 209-224). Springer Berlin Heidelberg
Conference proceedings papers
- Integrating fate/critical data studies into data science curricula: Where are we going and how do we get there?. FAT* 2020 - Proceedings of the 2020 Conference on Fairness, Accountability, and Transparency (pp 425-435) View this article in WRRO
- Using Deep Learning for IoT-enabled Camera: A Use Case of Flood Monitoring. 2019 10th International Conference on Dependable Systems, Services and Technologies (DESSERT), 5 June 2019 - 7 June 2019.
- Large scale, long-term, high granularity measurement of active travel using smartphones apps. Proceedings, Vol. 2(6), 26 March 2018 - 29 March 2018. View this article in WRRO
- View this article in WRRO Digitising the acute service based home assessment. BRITISH JOURNAL OF OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY, Vol. 80 (pp 62-62)
- Lessons learned using wi-fi and Bluetooth as means to monitor public service usage. Proceedings of the 2017 ACM International Joint Conference on Pervasive and Ubiquitous Computing and Proceedings of the 2017 ACM International Symposium on Wearable Computers View this article in WRRO
- Access Visits Using Video Communication. Studies in Health Technology and Informatics, Vol. 242 (pp 102-110) View this article in WRRO
- View this article in WRRO Seeing through the eyes of the citizens during emergencies. Proceedings of the International ISCRAM Conference
- Visualizing semantic table annotations with TableMiner. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, Vol. 1690
- A tool for creating and visualizing semantic annotations on relational tables. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, Vol. 1699 (pp 2-10)
- Workshop summary: Workshop on Semantics and Analytics for Emergency Response (SAFE2015). ISCRAM 2015 Conference Proceedings - 12th International Conference on Information Systems for Crisis Response and Management, Vol. 2015-January
- Exploiting Linked Open Data to Uncover Entity Types (pp 51-62)
- Introduction to VISUAL 2014 - Workshop on Visualizations and User Interfaces for Knowledge Engineering and Linked Data Analytics (pp 80-82)
- Geo-fence driven crowd-sourcing for Emergencies. ISCRAM 2015 Conference Proceedings - 12th International Conference on Information Systems for Crisis Response and Management, Vol. 2015-January
- Proceedings of the International Workshop on Visualizations and User Interfaces for Knowledge Engineering and Linked Data Analytics co-located with 19th International Conference on Knowledge Engineering and Knowledge Management, VISUAL@EKAW 2014, Linköping, Sweden, November 24, 2014.. VISUAL@EKAW, Vol. 1299
- Visualizing and animating large-scale spatiotemporal data with ELBAR explorer. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, Vol. 1272 (pp 161-164)
- User driven Information Extraction with LODIE. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, Vol. 1272 (pp 385-388)
- Visual Design Recommendations for Situation Awareness in Social Media. Proceedings of the 11th International ISCRAM Conference – University Park, Pennsylvania, USA, May 2014
- Visual Analysis of Real-time Social Media for Emergency Response. Proceedings of the 2nd Workshop on Social Media and Linked Data for Emergency Response (SMILE 2014), Extended Semantic Web Conference 2014. Heraklion, Crete
- Visualizations and User Interfaces for Knowledge Engineering and Linked Data Analytics. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, Vol. 1299
- Preface - Editors' note. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, Vol. 1191
- Roadmapping discussion summary - Social media and linked data for emergency response. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, Vol. 1191
- Visualising Topical Sentiment in Twitter Streams. Social Media and Linked Data for Emergency Response (SMILE)
- Evaluating the real usability of a C2 system – short and controlled vs long and real. ISCRAM. Baden-Baden, Germany, 12 May 2013 - 15 May 2013.
- Visualising Context and Hierarchy in Social Media. ntelligent Exploration of Semantic Data (IESD), co-located with Knowledge Engineering and Knowledge . Galway City, Ireland, 8 October 2012 - 9 October 2012.
- Extracting semantic user networks from informal communication exchanges. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics), Vol. 7031 LNCS(PART 1) (pp 209-224)
- A Knowledge Dashboard for Manufacturing Industries.. ESWC Workshops, Vol. 7117 (pp 112-124)
- Integrating and interpreting social data from heterogeneous sources. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, Vol. 595 (pp 16-27)
- Visualization of large datasets using semantic web technologies. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, Vol. 568
- View this article in WRRO Multi Visualization and Dynamic Query for Effective Exploration of Semantic Data. SEMANTIC WEB - ISWC 2009, PROCEEDINGS, Vol. 5823 (pp 505-520)
- Visualisation of Large Semantic Datasets: A Scalable, Generic and Aesthetic Approach. USES Conference Proceedings
- A Semantic Knowledge Management Framework for Informal Communication Exchanges. 10th International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC2011)
- SEMLEX - A Framework for Visually Exploring Semantic Query Log Analysis. 10th International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC2011). Bonn, Germany, 23 October 2011 - 27 October 2011.
- Identifying information needs by modelling collective query patterns. Consuming Linked Data Workshop (COLD 2011). Located at the 10th International Semantic Web Conferenc, Vol. 782. Bonn, Germany, 23 October 2011 - 27 October 2011.
Theses / Dissertations
- Research group
Current PhD students
- Ahmed Alnuhayt: The Role of Computational Intelligence and Aggregation Systems in Decision Making
- Yuyang Liu: Machine learning and health informatics
- Teaching interests
My primary areas of teaching involve big data, data analytics, HCI and visualisation topics. I am currently contributing to ‘Information and Knowledge Management’, ‘Human Computer Interaction’ and ‘Researching Social Media’, taught across a range of MSc programs. I also supervise dissertations from various MSc programs. As a computer scientist, I have taught various technical subjects such as programming, data structures, web technologies, big data and distributed systems, visual analytics and Tableau.
- Professional activities
I regularly serve as programme committee member and act as reviewer for several conferences and journals such as:
- ISWC – International Semantic Web Conference
- ESWC – Extended Semantic Web Conference
- ISCRAM – International Conference on Information Systems for Crisis Management
- Semantic Web Journal
- EKAW – International Conference on Knowledge Engineering and Knowledge Management
- ACM CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems
- UbiComp – International Conference on Pervasive and Ubiquitous Computing (2015)
- Journal of Web Semantics, Special issue on evaluation of semantic technologies (2013)
- VOILA – Visualisation and Interaction for Ontologies and Linked Data Workshop, collocated with ISWC (2016)
- IESD – Intelligent Exploration of Semantic Data Workshop collocated with ISWC 2014
- OntoPLM – International Workshop on Semantic Web Technologies for PLM, collocated with MICAI 2013
- BigVis – International Workshop on Big Data Visual Exploration and Analytics (2018)
I organised a series of tutorials on Visual Analytics with Social Media for Crisis Management 24 at the International Conference on Information Systems for Crisis Response and Management over several years (ISCRAM 2013, 2014, 2015,2017). The tutorials have had an increasing interest among a wide range of participants from researchers to practitioners and volunteers. I also organised a series of tutorials at ESWC, on Visual Analytics with LOD (Linked Open Data) and Social Media 25 for 2013, 2014.