Dr Richard Thackray
PhD BEng ARSM DIC
Department of Materials Science and Engineering
Lecturer in Steelmaking
+44 114 222 5963
Full contact details
Department of Materials Science and Engineering
Sir Robert Hadfield Building
Richard Thackray was appointed to academic staff in 2003 as Corus (now Tata Steel) Lecturer in Steelmaking.
He obtained his BEng and PhD in Metallurgy at Imperial College London and held research appointments in academia, before moving to Sheffield.
Richard is a recognised authority on steelmaking and continuous casting.
- Research interests
Research is focussed on identifying strategies to produce more energy-efficient steelmaking processes and to improve material efficiency. We work with industrial partners such as Siemens to investigate sustainable plate manufacture, and with Tata Steel to conduct research in areas as diverse as alternative materials for ironmaking, dephosphorisation mechanisms in oxygen steelmaking, the effect of reduced niobium content on microstructure of pipeline grades, life cycle analysis and substance flow analysis of critical elements used in steelmaking, use of alternative waste streams in primary steel production, and improved reuse and recycling of by-products.
Secondary steelmaking and continuous casting
Research is centred on understanding the effect of thermomechanical processing on inclusion formation and behaviour as well as developing new methodologies for characterising inclusions. Casting research focuses on understanding the role of mould powders on both the internal and surface quality of cast products, particularly casting of next generation (TRIP, DP) steels.
Other areas of active research include modelling and design of castings for the nuclear supply chain, modelling of the behaviour of steel in fire, and the development of new modelling methodologies for predicting microstructure and segregation in continuously cast steels.
- Effect of CaO/Al2O3 ratio on physical properties of lime-alumina-based mould powders. Metals, 13(4).
- Novel etching technique for delineation of prior-austenite grain boundaries in low, medium and high carbon steels. Materials, 13(15). View this article in WRRO
- Quantitative Characterization of Inclusions in Continuously Cast High-Carbon Steel. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B, 46(6), 2490-2502. View this article in WRRO
- Tensile Behaviour of Galvanised Grade 8.8 Bolt Assemblies in Fire. Journal of Structural Fire Engineering, 6(3), 197-212. View this article in WRRO
- Effect of early stages of thermomechanical processing on inclusions in high carbon steel. Materials Science and Technology (United Kingdom), 30(10), 1177-1188. View this article in WRRO
- Microstructure and rheological properties of titanium carbide-coated carbon black particles synthesised from molten salt. Journal of Materials Science, 1-7.
- Sustainable plate manufacturing. Iron and Steel Technology, 9(8), 134-141.
- Rating inclusions in an as-cast carbon steel. AISTech - Iron and Steel Technology Conference Proceedings, 841-848.
- Classification and rating of inclusions in a high carbon steel. TMS Annual Meeting, 25-36.
- Performance and properties of mould fluxes. IRONMAKING & STEELMAKING, 32(1), 26-34.
- A review of slag splashing. ISIJ INT, 45(5), 619-633.
- Phase transformation reactions in rapidly solidified Al-6.5Fe-1.5V alloys. J MATER SCI, 36(13), 3197-3206.
- Microstructures and their stability in rapidly solidified Al-Fe-(V, Si) alloy powders. J MATER SCI, 36(8), 1845-1856.
- Determining a Flow Stress Model for High Temperature Deformation of Ti-6Al-4V. Materials Science Forum, 828-829, 441-446. View this article in WRRO
Conference proceedings papers
- Investigation on viscosity of CaO-Al2O3 based mould fluxes for the continuous casting of high-Al steels. Materials Proceedings, Vol. 3(1). Online, 22 March 2021 - 7 March 2021. View this article in WRRO
2O 3-C castables using carbide coated carbon. 14th Biennial Worldwide Congress on Unified International Technical Conference on Refractories, UNITECR 2015, in conjunction with the 58th International Colloquium on Refractories
Microstructure and properties of Al 2O 3-C castables using carbide coated carbon. 14th Biennial Worldwide Congress on Unified International Technical Conference on Refractories, UNITECR 2015, in conjunction with the 58th International Colloquium on Refractories
Microstructure and properties of Al
- Simulated and experimental study of segregation in continuously-cast high carbon bloom steel. AISTech - Iron and Steel Technology Conference Proceedings (pp 1221-1227)
- Sustainable plate manufacturing. AISTech - Iron and Steel Technology Conference Proceedings (pp 289-296)
- Alloys for critical applications. Ironmaking & Steelmaking, Vol. 37(4) (pp 242-250)
- Professional activities and memberships
- Past Chair of the Iron and Steel Society, a division of IOM3
- Member of the Sustainable Development Group of IOM3
- Member of the Casting and Solidification Group of IOM3
- Member of the Association of Iron and Steel Technologists
- Member of worldsteel Education and Training Committee
- Editorial Board of Ironmaking and Steelmaking
- Past President of the Sheffield Metallurgical and Engineering Association