IoM3 Course Accreditation
All of our Undergraduate courses are accredited by the Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining (IoM3), as are three of our Postgraduate Taught Masters courses.
These courses meet the required output standards for the Engineering Council, so that our graduates gain the knowledge, understanding and skills to eventually register as an Incorporated or Chartered Engineer.
Courses may be also be recognised by other countries that are signatories to international accords.
Why choose an accredited degree?
Accreditation is an accepted - and rigorous - process of peer review against standards published by the Engineering Council in the UK Standard for Professional Engineering Competence (UKSPEC). There are several advantages to choosing an accredited degree:
- Some employers specifically recruit from accredited degree programmes
- An accredited degree is recognised professionally
- Once you have gained relevant work experience, the process of seeking professional registration as an Incorporated (IEng) or Chartered Engineer (CEng) is more straightforward
- Internationally, UK-accredited degrees are more widely recognised than those that are not accredited
Further information can be found on the Engineering Council website.
The following courses are accredited:
- BEng and MEng Materials Science and Engineering
- BEng Materials Science and Engineering (Year in Industry)
- BEng and MEng Materials Science and Engineering (Biomaterials) - Exit route for students starting in 2019 or before
- MEng Materials Science and Engineering (Research)
- MEng Metallurgy - Exit route for students starting in 2019 or before
- MEng Materials Science with Nuclear Engineering - Exit route for students starting in 2019 or before
Postgraduate taught masters
The following postgraduate taught courses are accredited:
Top in the Russell Group
We are the top-ranked Russell Group university for Graduate Prospects in Materials Science and Engineering. (The Times Good University Guide 2020)
Find the right course for you.