Dr Christophe Pinna
Department of Mechanical Engineering
Senior Lecturer in Mechanical Engineering
+44 114 222 7831
Full contact details
Department of Mechanical Engineering
Sir Frederick Mappin Building
Christophe Pinna graduated with a PhD from Ecole Polytechnique in France in 1997 in the field of mechanics of materials applied to fatigue and fracture. He joined the Department in 1998 as a post-doctoral Research Associate and started to work on the thermo-mechanical processing of metals.
He became Research Fellow the same year and Lecturer in 2000. He was promoted to Senior Lecturer in 2008. He is an EPSRC Full College Member and a Member of the Advanced Materials and Structures Division Committee (AMSTAC) of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers.
- Research interests
Dr Pinna’s research covers the areas of mechanics of materials, fatigue, fracture, manufacturing process modelling and includes both experimental and computational mechanics. Projects are funded through grants from EPSRC, the European Union and industry.
Applications include automotive advanced high strength steels, thermo-mechanical processing of metals (e.g. forging, rolling, friction stir welding), aerospace and automotive fibre composites and machining.
The work involves multi-scale experiments at both room and elevated temperatures using conventional as well as small-scale mechanical testing (e.g. tensile and bending inside a Scanning Electron Microscope, tensile and compression inside an X-ray micro-Computed Tomography microscope – Zeiss Xradia 620 Versa) and Full-field strain measurement techniques (e.g Digital Volume Correlation, optical 3D Digital Image Correlation, Scanning Electron Microscopy-based Digital Image Correlation and microgrids generated through Electron-Beam Lithography).
Modelling techniques include finite element models, micro-scale crystal plasticity models, cellular automata and phase-field models for simulations of microstructural deformation and evolution.
- Impact damage characteristics of carbon fibre metal laminates : experiments and simulation. Applied Composite Materials. View this article in WRRO
- Non-intrusive measurement of strip thickness and roll-bite length in metal rolling. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture. View this article in WRRO
- Analyzing the properties promoting shear bands and damage initiation in 3-point bending of ultra-high strength steel. Procedia Manufacturing, 50, 570-573.
- Do additive manufactured parts deserve better?. Fatigue & Fracture of Engineering Materials & Structures, 42(9), 2146-2154. View this article in WRRO
- Finite element modelling of surface defect evolution during hot rolling of Silicon steel. Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 268, 181-191. View this article in WRRO
- Machining distortion in asymmetrical residual stress profiles. Procedia CIRP, 82, 395-399. View this article in WRRO
- FE modelling of CFRP machining- prediction of the effects of cutting edge rounding. Procedia CIRP, 82, 59-64. View this article in WRRO
- Fatigue crack initiation in AA2024: A coupled micromechanical testing and crystal plasticity study. Fatigue and Fracture of Engineering Materials and Structures, 42(1), 321-338. View this article in WRRO
- Ageing of a polymeric engine mount investigated using digital image correlation. Polymer Testing, 71, 137-144. View this article in WRRO
- Materials characterisation and modelling on the small scale. Materials Science and Technology (United Kingdom), 34(13), 1529-1530. View this article in WRRO
- Ageing Simulation of a Hydraulic Engine Mount: a Data Informed Finite Element Approach. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering. View this article in WRRO
- Deformation-Induced Microstructural Banding in TRIP Steels. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A: Physical Metallurgy and Materials Science, 49(7), 2893-2906. View this article in WRRO
- Experimental and modelling study of fatigue crack initiation in an aluminium beam with a hole under 4-point bending. International Journal of Solids and Structures, 138, 87-96. View this article in WRRO
- Prediction of growth of jet fuel autoxidative deposits at inner surface of a replicated jet engine burner feed arm. Fuel, 214, 528-537. View this article in WRRO
- Surface defect evolution in hot rolling of high-Si electrical steels. Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 249, 302-312. View this article in WRRO
- 2D and 3D Finite Element Models for the Edge Trimming of CFRP. Procedia CIRP, 58, 233-238. View this article in WRRO
- An optical method for measuring surface roughness of machined carbon fibre-reinforced plastic composites. Journal of Composite Materials, 51(3), 289-302. View this article in WRRO
- Investigation of surface deposition in a simulated fuel injector feed arm with sudden expansion/contraction. Fuel, 186, 534-543. View this article in WRRO
- Hybrid-modelling of compact tension energy in high strength pipeline steel using a Gaussian Mixture Model based error compensation. Applied Soft Computing, 48, 1-12. View this article in WRRO
- Two-dimensional simulation of grain structure growth within selective laser melted AA-2024. Materials and Design. View this article in WRRO
- New Experimental Procedure for the Analysis of Micro-Scale Surface Damage at High Temperature. Experimental Mechanics, 56(6), 1063-1072. View this article in WRRO
- Machining of Carbon Fibre: Optical Surface Damage Characterisation and Tool Wear Study. Procedia CIRP, 45, 71-74. View this article in WRRO
- Damage in dual phase steel DP1000 investigated using digital image correlation and microstructure simulation. Modelling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering, 23(8). View this article in WRRO
- Assessment of crystal plasticity finite element simulations of the hot deformation of metals from local strain and orientation measurements. International Journal of Plasticity, 73, 24-38. View this article in WRRO
- Modelling impact damage in composite laminates: A simulation of intra- and inter-laminar cracking. Composite Structures, 114(1), 10-19.
- Interface cohesive elements to model matrix crack evolution in composite laminates. Applied Composite Materials, 21(1), 57-70.
- Failure mechanisms in DP600 steel: Initiation, evolution and fracture. Materials Science and Engineering A, 588, 420-431. View this article in WRRO
- Multi-scale modelling of stress and strain partitioning in high strength dual phase steel. Computer Methods in Materials Science, 12, 163-174.
- Characterization of the High Temperature Strain Partitioning in Duplex Steels. EXPERIMENTAL MECHANICS, 53(2), 205-215.
- Damage Assessment of Composite Structures Using Digital Image Correlation. Applied Composite Materials, 1-16.
- Damage monitoring and analysis of composite laminates with an open hole and adhesively bonded repairs using digital image correlation. Composites Part B: Engineering, 53, 76-91.
- Void growth and coalescence modelling in AA2050 using the Rousselier model. International Journal of Damage Mechanics, 22(2), 219-237.
- Quantitative strain analysis of the large deformation at the scale of microstructure: comparison between Digital Image Correlation and Microgrid techniques. Experimental Mechanics. View this article in WRRO
- Using Digital Image Correlation Techniques for Damage Detection on Adhesively Bonded Composite Repairs. Advanced Composites Letters, 21(2), 096369351202100-096369351202100.
- Modelling textures formed during the plane strain compression and subsequent static recrystallization of Body-Centred Cubic (BCC) metals. Materials Science Forum, 706-709, 3040-3045.
- Modelling the static recrystallization texture of FCC metals using a phase field method. Materials Science Forum, 715-716, 739-744.
- Model fusion using fuzzy aggregation: Special applications to metal properties. Applied Soft Computing Journal.
- Using digital image correlation techniques for damage detection on adhesively bonded composite repairs. Advanced Composites Letters, 21(2), 51-57.
- Analysis of adhesively bonded repairs in composites: Damage detection and prognosis. Composite Structures.
- Modelling static recrystallisation textures using a coupled crystal plasticity-phase field technique. Materials Science Forum, 702-703, 663-666.
- Identification of modes of fracture in a 2618-T6 aluminum alloy using stereophotogrammetry. Materials Characterization, 62(12), 1141-1150.
- Modeling and Optimal Design of Machining-Induced Residual Stresses in Aluminium Alloys Using a Fast Hierarchical Multiobjective Optimization Algorithm. Materials and Manufacturing Processes, 26(3), 508-520.
- Local plastic strain evolution in a high strength dual-phase steel. MAT SCI ENG A-STRUCT, 527(18-19), 5026-5032. View this article in WRRO
- Strain evolution measurement at the microscale of a dual phase steel using Digital Image Correlation. Applied Mechanics and Materials, 24-25, 201-206. View this article in WRRO
- Determination of micro-scale plastic strain caused by orthogonal cutting. INT J MACH TOOL MANU, 48(2), 228-235. View this article in WRRO
- Measurement and prediction of deformation in plane strain compression tests of AA5182. MATER SCI TECH-LOND, 22(11), 1380-1386. View this article in WRRO
- Measurement of deformation gradients in hot rolling of AA3004. EXP MECH, 45(6), 517-525. View this article in WRRO
- View this article in WRRO Micro-scale strain distribution in hot-worked duplex stainless steel. STEEL RES INT, 76(2-3), 137-141.
- Effect of roll pass schedule on through thickness texture development in Al-Mn alloy. MATER SCI TECH-LOND, 19(4), 477-482.
- Modelling of a multipass rolling mill: a finite element comparison. ALUMINIUM: International Journal for Industry, Research and Application, 78, 908-912.
- Finite element modelling of a multipass research mill. ALUMINIUM: International Journal for Industry, Research and Application, 78, 902-907.
- The preferred fatigue crack propagation mode in a M250 maraging steel loaded in shear. FATIGUE FRACT ENG M, 22(3), 173-183.
- A study of mode II fatigue crack propagation with a particular attention paid to the effects of friction. MEC IND MATER, 50(1), 15-18.
- Microstructure evolution and strain localization during shear deformation of an aluminium alloy. ACTA MATER, 44(10), 4195-4208.
- Multi-scale approach of the compressive behaviour of carbon/resin composites.. RECH AEROSPATIALE(5-6), 441-455.
- Multi-scale approach to the compressive strength of carbon/resin composites. COMPOSITES SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY, 56(7), 855-859.
- Dynamic Modelling of a Hydraulic Engine Mount Including the Effects of Elastomer Ageing. SAE International Journal of Engines, 14(1), 99-114.
- View this article in WRRO Two-Layer Laser Clad Coating as a Replacement for Chrome Electroplating on Forged Steel. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part C: Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science.
- Low-velocity impact of composite laminates, Dynamic Deformation, Damage and Fracture in Composite Materials and Structures (pp. 117-146). Elsevier
- List of contributors, Dynamic Deformation, Damage and Fracture in Composite Materials and Structures (pp. xi-xii). Elsevier
- Low velocity impact of composite laminates: damage evolution In Silberschmidt VV (Ed.), Dynamic Deformation, Damage and Fracture in Composite Materials and Structures (pp. 117-144). Duxford: Woodhead Publishing Ltd.
- Fatigue Life Prediction in Aluminum Alloy 2618-T6 Using a Paris Law Modification, Fatigue of Materials III (pp. 239-250). Springer International Publishing
- Rolling of Aluminium - 1: Thermomechanical Processing and FEM simulation In Hirsch J (Ed.), Virtual Fabrication of Aluminium Products - Microstructural Modeling in Industrial Aluminium Fabrication Processes (pp. 247-274). WILEY-VCH
- Rolling of Aluminium - 2: Practical aspects for finite element model development In Hirsch J (Ed.), Virtual Fabrication of Aluminium Products - Microstructural Modeling in Industrial Aluminium Fabrication Processes WILEY-VCH
Conference proceedings papers
- Effect of the injection moulding fibre orientation distribution on the fatigue life of short glass fibre reinforced plastics for automotive applications. Procedia CIRP, Vol. 85 (pp 255-260). AMRC, Sheffield, UK, 10 October 2019 - 11 October 2019. View this article in WRRO
- Localized damage analysis for high strength S960 steel using micro-tensile testing and digital image correlation. Ubiquity Proceedings, Vol. 1(S1) (pp 16-16). Swansea, Wales, 10 July 2018 - 12 July 2018. View this article in WRRO
- Nonlinear Dynamics of Structures with Material Degradation. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, Vol. 744 (pp 012123-012123) View this article in WRRO
- View this article in WRRO Simulating the microstructural evolution of a Selective Laser Melted AA-2024. Solid Freeform Fabrication 2016: Proceedings of the 27th Annual International Solid Freeform Fabrication Symposium - An Additive Manufacturing Conference, SFF 2016 (pp 257-267)
- Machining of carbon fibre: optical surface damage characterisation and tool wear study. 3rd CIRP Conference on Surface Integrity (CIRP CSI), Charlotte, NC, USA, 8 June 2016 - 10 June 2016.
- Surface defect evolution in hot rolling of high Si-electrical steels. METAL 2016 - 25th Anniversary International Conference on Metallurgy and Materials, Conference Proceedings (pp 267-272)
- View this article in WRRO An approach for dynamic analysis of stationary cracks using XFEM. Proceedings of the 24th UK Conference of the Association for Computational Mechanics in Engineering. Cardiff, UK, 31 March 2016 - 1 April 2016.
- Crystal plasticity finite element modelling of fatigue crack nucleation in AA2024. International Symposium on Plasticity 2016, 3 January 2016 - 9 January 2016.
- New insights in fatigue crack initiation and small crack growth regime: coupled micro-mechanical testing and crystal plasticity modelling. 13th US National Congress on Computational Mechanics, 27 July 2015 - 30 July 2015.
- The fatigue of carbon fibre composites containing interlaminar inkjet printed polymer droplets. ICCM International Conferences on Composite Materials, Vol. 2015-July
- Characterisation of the tensile and fracture properties of filament wound carbon fibre rings. 16th European Conference on Composite Materials, ECCM 2014
- Damage formation in Dual-Phase steels – a combined approach of digital image correlation and microstructure modelling. EUROSTEEL 2014. Naples, Italy, 10 September 2014 - 12 September 2014.
- Fatigue life prediction in aluminum alloy 2618-T6 using a Paris law modification. Materials Science and Technology Conference and Exhibition 2014, MS and T 2014, Vol. 2 (pp 1113-1124)
- An investigation on the subsurface micro-cracking induced by coating process in automotive steels. 16th International Conference on Experimental Mechanics, 7 July 2014 - 11 July 2014.
- Simulating Microstructural Evolution during the Selective Laser Melting Process: A Literature Review. 24th International Solid Freeform Fabrication Symposium, an Additive Manufacturing Conference. The University of Texas in Austin, USA, 4 August 2014 - 6 August 2014.
- Modelling interaction effect of nanosilica particles on nanosilica/epoxy composite stiffness. 16th European Conference on Composite Materials. Seville, Spain, 22 June 2014 - 26 June 2014.
- Strain distribution measurements in the microstructure of hot damage steels. 16th International Conference on Experimental Mechanics. Cambridge, UK, 7 July 2014 - 11 July 2014.
- Increased fatigue life of self-ameliorating composites using inkjet-printed thermoplastics. 16th European Conference on Composite Materials. Seville, Spain, 22 June 2014 - 26 June 2014.
- Characterisation of the tensile and fracture properties of filament wound carbon fibre rings. 16th European Conference on Composite Materials. Seville, Spain, 22 June 2014 - 26 June 2014.
- Crystal Plasticity finite element modelling of the hot deformation of metals. International Symposium on Plasticity. Freeport, The Bahamas, 3 January 2014 - 8 January 2014.
- Impact damage characterisation of fibre/metal laminates by X-ray computed tomography. 5th Conference on Industrial Computed Tomography. Austria, 25 February 2014 - 28 February 2014.
- Modelling interaction effect of nanosilica particles on nanosilica/epoxy composite stiffness. 16th European Conference on Composite Materials, ECCM 2014
- Damage assessment of notched composites laminates and adhesively bonded repairs using digital image correlation. 4th Canadian Conference on Nonlinear Solid Mechanics (CanCNSM2013). Montreal, Canada, 23 July 2013 - 26 July 2013.
- Modelling impact damage characteristics of composite laminates accounting for matrix cracking and plitting failure modes. 4th Canadian Conference on Nonlinear Solid Mechanics (CanCNSM2013). Montreal, Canada, 23 July 2013 - 26 July 2013.
- Prediction of texture and microstructure evolution during the thermo-mechanical processing of metals using a Crystal Plasticity-Phase Field approach. International Symposium on Plasticity. Nassau, The Bahamas
- Modelling transverse matrix cracking in composite laminates using cohesive elements. 12th Deformation and Fracture of Composites/ 6th Structural Integrity Conferences. Cambridge, UK, 8 April 2013 - 11 April 2013.
- An investigation into the failure mechanisms at the onset of necking in DP600 steel. 15th International Conference on Experimental Mechanics (ICEM 15). Porto- Portugal, 22 July 2012 - 27 July 2012.
- 3D Digital Image Correlation (DIC) analysis in relation to damage development in third generation AA2050-T851 aluminium alloy. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, Vol. 382(012034). University of Glasgow, 29 August 2012 - 31 August 2012.
- Analysis of the structure of deposited materials at inner surface of jet fuel injector feed arm with Optical and Scanning Electron Microscopy. 12th International Conference on Stability, Handling and Use of Liquid Fuels 2011, Vol. 2 (pp 1120-1148)
- Systems-Modelling of Compact Tension Energy in High Strength Pipeline Steel. 18th IFAC World Congress. Milan, Italy, 28 August 2011 - 2 September 2011.
- Model Fusion via a Master Fuzzy System with Special Application to Engineering Materials. 18th IFAC World Congress. Milan, Italy, 28 August 2011 - 2 September 2011.
- Optical based Characterisation of an Aluminium Alloy. European Conference of Fracture 17. Brno, Czech Republic
- A finite element model of the heterogeneous deformation of austenite and ferrite in a duplex stainless steel under hot plane strain compression. ADVANCES IN HETEROGENEOUS MATERIAL MECHANICS 2008 (pp 312-315)
- Local strain measurement in hot deformed microstructures. Advances in Experimental Mechanics V, Vol. 7-8 (pp 167-172)
- Experimental measurement of the deformation in hot rolling of aluminium 1% Mn: the grid technique. Advances in Experimental Mechanics IV, Vol. 3-4 (pp 111-116)
- Fatigue Life Prediction in Aluminum Alloy 2618-T6 Using a Paris Law Modification (pp 239-250)
- Layer Material Removal Selection for Residual Stress Relief. 14th High Speed Machining Conference
- Mode II fatigue crack propagation in a maraging steel. 6th International Conference on Fatigue. Berlin, Germany, 13 May 1996 - 17 May 1996.
- Experimental evaluation of T stress. ESIA10 Conference. Manchester, United Kingdom, 19 May 2009 - 20 May 2009.
- Uncertainties in modelling the evolution of crystallographic texture during hot rolling. 9th Symposium on Modelling of Metal Rolling Process. London, United Kingdom, 12 December 1998 - 14 December 1998.
- Experimental investigation and micromechanical modelling of hot deformation of duplex stainless steels. 39th Annual Conference of Metallurgists 2000, Thermomechanical Processing of Steel (pp 16). Ottawa, Canada, 19 August 2000 - 22 August 2000.
- Modelling of the effect of lubrication on texture evolution during hot rolling. 3rd Conference on Modelling of Metal Rolling Processes. London, United Kingdom, 13 December 1999 - 15 December 1999.
- Quantification of friction effects during mode II fatigue crack propagation in a maraging steel. 5th Conference on biaxial/multiaxial fatigue. Krakow, Poland, 4 September 1997 - 8 September 1997.
- Measurement of local strain heterogeneity in AA5182 after hot rolling deformation. Int. Conf. on Thermomechanical Processing: Mechanics, Microstructure & Control (pp 393). Sheffield, United Kingdom, 23 June 2002 - 26 June 2002.
- Rolling Experiments, texture measurements and computer-based predictions: closing the loop. 39th Annual Conference of Metallurgists 2000, Thermomechanical Processing of Steel (pp 121). Ottawa, Canada, 19 August 2000 - 22 August 2000.
- Homogeneisation variationnelle pour l'analyse des deformations a chaud d'aciers biphases. 17ieme Congres Francais de Mecanique. Troyes, France, 29 August 2005 - 2 September 2005.
- Determination of microscale deformation in hot worked steel. 10th International Conference on Metal Forming (pp 387). Krakow, Poland, 19 September 2004 - 22 September 2004.
- Influence of microstructural morphology on viscoplastic flow of two-phase polycrystals. 43rd Technical Annual Meeting Society of Engineering Science. Pennsylvania, United States, 13 August 2006 - 16 August 2006.
- Evaluation of local strain fields in hot worked stainless steel. International Conference on full-field measurement techniques and their applications in experimental solid mechanics. Clermont-Ferrand, France, 10 July 2006 - 12 July 2006.
- Application of electron-beam lithography technique for the determination of micro-scale plastic strain due to machining. 10th CIRP International Workshop on Modeling of Machining Operations. Reggio Calabria, Italy, 27 August 2007 - 28 August 2007.
- Potential influence of microstructural morphology on the viscoplastic flow of two-phase polycrystals. 11th International Symposium on Continuum Models and Discrete Systems. Paris, France, 30 July 2007 - 3 August 2007.
- Modelling static recrystallisation textures using a coupled crystal plasticity-phase field technique. 16th International Conference on the Textures of Materials. Mumbai, India, 12 December 2011 - 17 December 2011.
- Local damage initiation mechanisms of a DP steel: surface observations vs. mid-plane deformation. European Congress and Exhbition on Advanced Materials and Processes. Montpellier, France, 12 September 2011 - 15 September 2011.
- Modelling textures formed during the plane strain compression and subsequent static recrystallisation of body-centred cubic (BCC) metals. 7th International Conference on Processing and Manufacturing of Advanced Materials. Montreal, Canada, 1 August 2011 - 5 August 2011.
- Digital Image Correlation analysis applied to monitor damage evolution of composite plates with stress concentrations and bonded patch repairs. 15th European Conference on Composite Materials. Venice, Italy, 24 June 2012 - 28 June 2012.
- Modelling the microstructural evolution during the static recrystallisation of aluminium alloy AA5052 by a level set method. 11th International Conference on Aluminium Alloys. Aachen, Germany, 22 September 2008 - 26 September 2008.
- Strain distribution at the grain scale of hot worked metals. International Symposium on Plasticity 2008. Hawaii, USA, 2 January 2008 - 6 January 2008.
- On the modelling of chip formation in orthogonal cutting: damage mechanics approach. 12th CIRP conference on modelling of machining operations. San Sebastian, Spain, 7 May 2009 - 8 May 2009.
- Prediction of Machining Induced Residual Stresses in Aluminium Alloys Using a Hierarchical Data-Driven Fuzzy Modelling Approach. IFACMMM 2009. Vina del Mar, Chile, 14 October 2009 - 16 October 2009.
- Strain Evolution Measurement at the microscale of a Dual Phase Steel using Digital Image Correlation. 7th BSSM conference on Advances in Experimental Mechanics. University of Liverpool, UK, 7 September 2010 - 9 September 2010.
- Determination of high temperature micro-scale strain distribution – application to duplex stainless steels. Duplex Stainless steels 2010 International Conference. Beaune, France, 13 October 2010 - 15 October 2010.
- Finite Element Modelling of Friction Stir Welding. 8th International Symposium on Friction Stir Welding. Maritim Seehotel Timmendorfer Strand, Germany, 18 May 2010 - 20 May 2010.
- In-situ strain and damage analyses of Dual-Phase steels at micro-scale using Digital Image Correlation. 2nd International Conference on super-high strength steels. Verona, Italy, 17 October 2010 - 20 October 2010.
- Modelling the static recrystallisation texture of FCC metals using a phase field method. 4th Conference on Recrystallization and Grain Growth. Sheffield, UK, 4 July 2010 - 9 July 2010.
- Research group
Current PhD students
- Y.A. Lizama-Camara, Fatigue of short fibre composites
- A. Alsharif, Multi-scale modelling of Advanced High Strength Steels
- R. Dowding, Bendability of high strength hot rolled steels
- V.A. Perez Cervantes, Fatigue of short fibre composites
- A. Cooper, Machining-induced residual stress modelling
- S.M. Dabrowski, Cutting tools wear modelling
- G. Osborne, Manufacturing-induced residual stress modelling
- Z. Chen, Effect of manufacturing process on mechanical response of carbon-fibre composites
Graduated PhD students
- R. Bilkhu, Machining strategies for distortion control during high speed machining, 2020
- N.I. Rohaizat, Fracture of automotive high strength steels, 2019
- N. Duboust, Edge trimming of CFRP – surface roughness measurement and prediction, 2019
- G.J. Adeyemi, New kind of sensors for rolling applications, 2018
- A. Cartledge, Fatigue of self-healing composites, 2018
- K. Giasin, Drilling GLARE fibre metal laminates, 2017
- T. Mbwadzawo, Investigating and improving fracture resistance of elastomer o-rings and spring seals exposed to rapid gas decompression, 2016
- A. Ratner, Hybrid steel wire strands with carbon fibre reinforced plastics, 2016
- K. Alharbi, Damage Investigation in Dual-Phase 1000 Steel and behaviour prediction using microstructure based modelling, 2016
- M.F. Kiu, Hot deformation and damage of free cutting steel, 2015
- P. Efthymiadis, Multiscale experimentation and modelling of fatigue crack development in aluminium alloy 2024, 2015
- Y. Shi, Modelling low velocity impact behaviour of composite laminates used in aerospace, 2014
- H. Ghadbeigi, Metal cutting mechanics: investigation and simulation of deformation and damage mechanisms, 2010
- A. Salas-Zamarripa, Fatigue behaviour of an aluminium alloy used in Turbocharger compressor wheels, 2008
- C. Boldetti, High resolution strain measurements of Intra-granular deformation in structural materials at high temperature, 2006
- EPSRC – An X-ray Micro-Computed Tomography Facility with in-situ/in operando testing, 2019 – 2022, £ 1175k (CI)
- EU – H2020 – Fracture across Scales and Materials, Processes and Disciplines (FRAMED), 2017-2021, £142k (CI)
- EPSRC - Cradle to grave Life cycle prediction of automotive materials and systems in service: Impact of ageing on performance, 2014-2018, £ 1m (CI)
- KTP/TSB with Arnold Magnetic Technologies Ltd – 2012-2014, £135k (PI)
- M2i (Materials innovation institute – The Netherlands) / Tata Steel – Advanced High Strength Steels, 2010-2013, £377k (PI)
- EPSRC, A new framework for hybrid through-process modelling, process simulation and optimisation in the metals industry, 2008-2012, £4.6m (CI)
- EPSRC platform grant, Modern metals processing: transfer of knowledge and core skills to new and emerging technologies, 2007-2012, £880k (CI)
- EU RFCS grant, Roll-Gap Sensors, 2009-2012, £115k (CI)
- BAE Systems Marine, Plastic strain analysis, 2009-2011, £211k (CI)
- EU Framework 6, COMPACT - A concurrent approach to manufacturing induced part distortion in aerospace components, 2005-2009, £279k (CI)
- EPSRC, Thermomechanical processing: metallurgy, mechanics and modelling, 2002-2007, £3.9m (CI)
- EPSRC first grant, High resolution strain measurements of intra-granular deformation in structural materials at high temperatures, 2003-2006, £122k (PI)
- Teaching activities
- MEC445 Industrial Applications of Finite Element Modelling
- MEC313 Finite Element Techniques