Professor Damien Lacroix
Professor of Mechanobiology
Department of Mechanical Engineering
F32, Pam Liversidge
Telephone: +44(0)114 2220156
Damien Lacroix is Professor of Mechanobiology in the Department of Mechanical Engineering. He has a first degree in Mechanical Engineering from the National Institute of Applied Science (INSA Lyon, France) and a PhD in Biomechanics from Trinity College Dublin.
After a post-doc in 2001 in Toulouse (France) for Smith and Nephew at the Purpan Hospital, he was awarded a Marie-Curie TMR EU fellowship in 2002 and a Ramon y Cajal senior fellowship in 2004 at the Technical University of Catalonia (Spain). In 2008 he was appointed Group Leader of Biomechanics and Mechanobiology at the Institute of Bioengineering of Catalonia (Spain). Damien joined the Department in 2012 when he took a Chair in Biomedical Engineering within the INSIGNEO research institute.
Other professional activities and achievements
- Past-President of the European Society of Biomechanics
- Council Member of the European Alliance for Medical and Biological Engineering and Science (EAMBES)
- Editorial Board member of Biomaterials, Journal of Biomechanics and Clinical Biomechanics
- 2010 Jean Leray Award from the European Society of Biomaterials
- 2006 City Award of Barcelona in Technology Research for the development of a new injectable porous material based on calcium phosphate
- Recipient of European Research Council Starting Grant in 2011
Professor Lacroix's research covers bone mechanobiology (bone tissue engineering, bone distraction, fracture healing) and spine biomechanics (mechanobiology of disc degeneration, disc angiogenesis, disc implant analysis).
The focus of his research group is the study of the effect of mechanical stimuli on biological response. The group's objective is to make scientific advancements in simulations of in vitro and in vivo biomechanics and mechanobiology and in experimental in vitro mechanobiology. The current focus of the group is mainly on the development of simulations in spine biomechanics, tissue engineering and cell mechanics. These numerical simulations based on the finite element method are complemented with in vitro tests using bioreactors and microfluid chambers.
- Multiscale modelling of the musculoskeletal system
- Development of a predictive computational platform for disc degenration
- Simulation of a biological / biomaterials interactions in tissue engineering
- Simulation of bone fracture healing
- Modelling of cell mechanics
- Study of cell adhesion
- Microfluidic study of fluid shear stresses
- Implant prothesis design
Prof. Lacroix supervises final year undergraduate and MSc projects.
Current Research Grants
- European Research Council Starting Grant, MECHANOBIO - 'Finite element simulations of mechanobiology in tissue engineering', 10/2011-09/2016. €1.49m
- European Commission, FP7 ICT 269909, MySpine - 'Functional prognosis simulation of patient-specific spinal treatment for clinical use', 03/2011-02/2014. €0.68m.
- ESPRC Frontier Engineering Award (EP/K03877X/1), M J Hounslow, D Lacroix, M Viceconti, S A Billings, V Kadirkamanathan, A pavic, E McCloskey, T Skerry, 'Modelling Complex and Partially Identified Engineering Problems - Application to the Individualised Multi-scale Simulation of the Musculoskeletal System', 01.09.2013 to 31.08.2018 £4.86m
- Marin AC, Grossi T, Bianchi E, Dubini G & Lacroix D (2017) µ-Particle tracking velocimetry and computational fluid dynamics study of cell seeding within a 3D porous scaffold. Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, 75, 463-469. View this article in WRRO
- Brunelli M, Perrault CM & Lacroix D (2017) Short bursts of cyclic mechanical compression modulate tissue formation in a 3D hybrid scaffold. Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, 71, 165-174. View this article in WRRO
- Palanca M, Bodey AJ, Giorgi M, Viceconti M, Lacroix D, Cristofolini L & Dall'Ara E (2017) Local displacement and strain uncertainties in different bone types by digital volume correlation of synchrotron microtomograms. Journal of Biomechanics, 58, 27-36. View this article in WRRO
- Campos Marin A, Grossi T, Bianchi E, Dubini G & Lacroix D (2017) 2D µ-Particle Image Velocimetry and Computational Fluid Dynamics Study Within a 3D Porous Scaffold. Annals of Biomedical Engineering, 45(5), 1341-1351. View this article in WRRO
- Brunelli M, Perrault CM & Lacroix D (2017) Mechanical response of 3D Insert® PCL to compression. Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, 65, 478-489. View this article in WRRO
- Yao Y, Lacroix D & Mak AFT (2016) Effects of oxidative stress-induced changes in the actin cytoskeletal structure on myoblast damage under compressive stress: confocal-based cell-specific finite element analysis. Biomechanics and Modeling in Mechanobiology, 15(6), 1495-1508.
- Wittkowske C, Reilly GC, Lacroix D & Perrault CM (2016) In Vitro Bone Cell Models: Impact of Fluid Shear Stress on Bone Formation. Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology, 4. View this article in WRRO
- Giorgi M, Verbruggen SW & Lacroix D (2016) In silico bone mechanobiology: modeling a multifaceted biological system.. Wiley Interdiscip Rev Syst Biol Med. View this article in WRRO
- Wills CR, Malandrino A, van Rijsbergen MM, Lacroix D, Ito K & Noailly J (2016) Simulating the sensitivity of cell nutritive environment to composition changes within the intervertebral disc. Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 90, 108-123. View this article in WRRO
- Castro APG, Laity P, Shariatzadeh M, Wittkowske C, Holland C & Lacroix D (2016) Combined numerical and experimental biomechanical characterization of soft collagen hydrogel substrate. Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine, 27(4). View this article in WRRO
- Perrault C, Brugues A, Bazellieres E, Ricco P, Lacroix D & Trepat X (2015) Traction Forces of Endothelial Cells under Slow Shear Flow. Biophysical Journal, 109(8), 1533-1536. View this article in WRRO
- Khayyeri H, Barreto S & Lacroix D (2015) Primary cilia mechanics affects cell mechanosensation: A computational study. Journal of Theoretical Biology, 379, 38-46.
- Campos Marin A & Lacroix D (2015) The inter-sample structural variability of regular tissue-engineered scaffolds significantly affects the micromechanical local cell environment. Interface Focus, 5(2), 20140097-20140097.
- Lacroix D, Brunelli M, Shariatzadeh M, Campos A & Perrault CM (2014) The effect of mechanical stimuli on cell adhesion. JOURNAL OF TISSUE ENGINEERING AND REGENERATIVE MEDICINE, 8, 33-34.
- Brunelli M, Perrault C & Lacroix D (2014) Microfluidic bioreactor for high-throughput and prolonged perfusion of bone scaffolds. JOURNAL OF TISSUE ENGINEERING AND REGENERATIVE MEDICINE, 8, 480-480.
- Shariatzadeh M, Perrault C & Lacroix D (2014) Effect of mechanical stimulation on osteogenesis of self-assembled collagen-heMSC/MG63 microspheres. JOURNAL OF TISSUE ENGINEERING AND REGENERATIVE MEDICINE, 8, 258-258.
- Anderson DD, Thomas TP, Campos Marin A, Elkins JM, Lack WD & Lacroix D (2014) Computational techniques for the assessment of fracture repair.. Injury, 45 Suppl 2, S23-S31. View this article in WRRO
- Malandrino A, Lacroix D, Hellmich C, Ito K, Ferguson SJ & Noailly J (2014) The role of endplate poromechanical properties on the nutrient availability in the intervertebral disc.. Osteoarthritis Cartilage, 22(7), 1053-1060.
- Malandrino A, Noailly J & Lacroix D (2014) Numerical exploration of the combined effect of nutrient supply, tissue condition and deformation in the intervertebral disc. Journal of Biomechanics.
- Sánchez Egea AJ, Parraga Quiroga JM, Noailly J, Lacroix D, Valera M & Proubasta I (2014) Impact of hip anatomical variations on the cartilage stress: A finite element analysis towards the biomechanical exploration of the factors that may explain primary hip arthritis in morphologically normal subjects. Clinical Biomechanics.
- Barreto S, Perrault CM & Lacroix D (2014) Structural finite element analysis to explain cell mechanics variability.. J Mech Behav Biomed Mater, 38, 219-231.
- Ruiz C, Noailly J & Lacroix D (2013) Material property discontinuities in intervertebral disc porohyperelastic finite element models generate numerical instabilities due to volumetric strain variations.. J Mech Behav Biomed Mater, 26, 1-10.
- Barreto S, Clausen CH, Perrault CM, Fletcher DA & Lacroix D (2013) A multi-structural single cell model of force-induced interactions of cytoskeletal components. Biomaterials, 34(26), 6119-6126. View this article in WRRO
- Malandrino A, Noailly J & Lacroix D (2013) Regional annulus fibre orientations used as a tool for the calibration of lumbar intervertebral disc finite element models.. Comput Methods Biomech Biomed Engin, 16(9), 923-928.
- Olivares AL & Lacroix D (2012) Simulation of cell seeding within a three-dimensional porous scaffold: a fluid-particle analysis.. Tissue Eng Part C Methods, 18(8), 624-631.
- Noailly J & Lacroix D (2012) Finite element modelling of the spine, 144-232.
- Malandrino A, Fritsch A, Lahayne O, Kropik K, Redl H, Noailly J, Lacroix D & Hellmich C (2012) Anisotropic tissue elasticity in human lumbar vertebra, by means of a coupled ultrasound-micromechanics approach. Materials Letters, 78, 154-158.
- Noailly J, Ambrosio L, Elizabeth Tanner K, Planell JA & Lacroix D (2012) In silico evaluation of a new composite disc substitute with a L3-L5 lumbar spine finite element model.. Eur Spine J, 21 Suppl 5, S675-S687.
- Galbusera F, Schmidt H, Noailly J, Malandrino A, Lacroix D, Wilke H-J & Shirazi-Adl A (2011) Comparison of four methods to simulate swelling in poroelastic finite element models of intervertebral discs. JOURNAL OF THE MECHANICAL BEHAVIOR OF BIOMEDICAL MATERIALS, 4(7), 1234-1241.
- Byrne DP, Lacroix D & Prendergast PJ (2011) Simulation of Fracture Healing in the Tibia: Mechanoregulation of Cell Activity Using a Lattice Modeling Approach. JOURNAL OF ORTHOPAEDIC RESEARCH, 29(10), 1496-1503.
- Malandrino A, Noailly J & Lacroix D (2011) The Effect of Sustained Compression on Oxygen Metabolic Transport in the Intervertebral Disc Decreases with Degenerative Changes. PLoS Computational Biology, 7(8). View this article in WRRO
- Sandino C & Lacroix D (2011) A dynamical study of the mechanical stimuli and tissue differentiation within a CaP scaffold based on micro-CT finite element models.. Biomech Model Mechanobiol, 10(4), 565-576.
- Noailly J, Planell JA & Lacroix D (2011) On the collagen criss-cross angles in the annuli fibrosi of lumbar spine finite element models.. Biomech Model Mechanobiol, 10(2), 203-219.
- Bohner M, Loosli Y, Baroud G & Lacroix D (2011) Commentary: Deciphering the link between architecture and biological response of a bone graft substitute. ACTA BIOMATERIALIA, 7(2), 478-484.
- Lacroix D & Ramírez Patiño JF (2011) Finite element analysis of donning procedure of a prosthetic transfemoral socket. Annals of Biomedical Engineering, 39(12), 2972-2983.
- Melchels FPW, Tonnarelli B, Olivares AL, Martin I, Lacroix D, Feijen J, Wendt DJ & Grijpma DW (2011) The influence of the scaffold design on the distribution of adhering cells after perfusion cell seeding. Biomaterials, 32(11), 2878-2884.
- Santoro R, Olivares AL, Brans G, Wirz D, Longinotti C, Lacroix D, Martin I & Wendt D (2010) Bioreactor based engineering of large-scale human cartilage grafts for joint resurfacing. Biomaterials, 31(34), 8946-8952.
- Sandino C, Checa S, Prendergast PJ & Lacroix D (2010) Simulation of angiogenesis and cell differentiation in a CaP scaffold subjected to compressive strains using a lattice modeling approach. Biomaterials, 31(8), 2446-2452.
- Prendergast PJ, Checa S & Lacroix D (2010) Computational models of tissue differentiation, 353-372.
- Planell JA, Navarro M, Altankov G, Aparicio C, Engel E, Gil J, Ginebra MP & Lacroix D (2010) Materials surface effects on biological interactions. NATO Science for Peace and Security Series A: Chemistry and Biology, 233-252.
- Koch MA, Vrij EJ, Engel E, Planell JA & Lacroix D (2010) Perfusion cell seeding on large porous PLA/calcium phosphate composite scaffolds in a perfusion bioreactor system under varying perfusion parameters. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research - Part A, 95(4), 1011-1018.
- Milan JL, Planell JA & Lacroix D (2010) Simulation of bone tissue formation within a porous scaffold under dynamic compression. Biomechanics and Modeling in Mechanobiology, 9(5), 583-596.
- Malandrino A, Planell JA & Lacroix D (2009) Statistical factorial analysis on the poroelastic material properties sensitivity of the lumbar intervertebral disc under compression, flexion and axial rotation.. J Biomech, 42(16), 2780-2788.
- Milan JL, Planell JA & Lacroix D (2009) Computational modelling of the mechanical environment of osteogenesis within a polylactic acid-calcium phosphate glass scaffold. Biomaterials, 30(25), 4219-4226.
- Planell JA, Best SM, Lacroix D & Merolli A (2009) Bone repair biomaterials. Bone Repair Biomaterials, 1-477.
- Lacroix D (2009) Biomechanical aspects of bone repair, 106-118.
- Lacroix D, Planell JA & Prendergast PJ (2009) Computer-aided design and finite-element modelling of biomaterial scaffolds for bone tissue engineering.. Philos Trans A Math Phys Eng Sci, 367(1895), 1993-2009.
- Lacroix D & Planell JA (2009) Biomaterials: Processing, characterization, and applications, 123-154.
- Milan JL, Sandino C, Midderhoff S, Marques L, Planell JA & Lacroix D (2009) Mode of failure of a biomaterial composite scaffold for bone tissue engineering using synchrotron micro-tomography and finite element analysis. 12th International Conference on Fracture 2009, ICF-12, 8, 6179-6186.
- Olivares AL, Marsal E, Planell JA & Lacroix D (2009) Finite element study of scaffold architecture design and culture conditions for tissue engineering. Biomaterials, 30(30), 6142-6149.
- Koch MA, Engel E, Planell JA & Lacroix D (2008) Material characterization and dynamic cell seeding on PLA/glass composite scaffolds for bone tissue engineering. 8th World Biomaterials Congress 2008, 3, 1248.
- Charles-Harris M, Koch MA, Navarro M, Lacroix D, Engel E & Planell JA (2008) A PLA/calcium phosphate degradable composite material for bone tissue engineering: An in vitro study. Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine, 19(4), 1503-1513.
- Sandino C, Planell JA & Lacroix D (2008) A finite element study of mechanical stimuli in scaffolds for bone tissue engineering. Journal of Biomechanics, 41(5), 1005-1014.
- Engel E, Michiardi A, Navarro M, Lacroix D & Planell JA (2008) Nanotechnology in regenerative medicine: the materials side. Trends in Biotechnology, 26(1), 39-47.
- Byrne DP, Lacroix D, Planell JA, Kelly DJ & Prendergast PJ (2007) Simulation of tissue differentiation in a scaffold as a function of porosity, Young's modulus and dissolution rate: Application of mechanobiological models in tissue engineering. BIOMATERIALS, 28(36), 5544-5554.
- Charles-Harris M, del Valle S, Hentges E, Bleuet P, Lacroix D & Planell JA (2007) Mechanical and structural characterisation of completely degradable polylactic acid/calcium phosphate glass scaffolds.. Biomaterials, 28(30), 4429-4438.
- Noailly J, Wilke H-J, Planell JA & Lacroix D (2007) How does the geometry affect the internal biomechanics of a lumbar spine bi-segment finite element model? Consequences on the validation process.. J Biomech, 40(11), 2414-2425.
- Saló G, Cáceres E, Lacroix D, Planell JA, Molina A, Ramírez M & Lladó A (2007) Biomechanical performance of the anterior graft in lumbar spine surgery. Comparative finite-element analysis. Revista de Ortopedia y Traumatologia, 51(5), 284-295.
- Roca Romalde D, Lacroix D, Caja López VL, Proubasta Renart I & Planell Estany JA (2007) Surgical treatment of aseptic nonunions of the humeral shaft. A biomechanical study. Revista de Ortopedia y Traumatologia, 51(2), 88-93.
- Lacroix D, Chateau A, Ginebra M-P & Planell JA (2006) Micro-finite element models of bone tissue-engineering scaffolds.. Biomaterials, 27(30), 5326-5334.
- Lacroix D, Noailly J, Salo G, Caceres E & Planell JA (2006) The effect of bone graft geometry on spinal fusion vertebral stresses.. J Appl Biomater Biomech, 4(3), 135-142.
- Noailly J, Lacroix D & Planell JA (2005) Finite element study of a novel intervertebral disc substitute.. Spine (Phila Pa 1976), 30(20), 2257-2264.
- Charles-Harris M, Lacroix D, Proubasta I & Planell JA (2005) Intramedullary nails vs osteosynthesis plates for femoral fracture stabilization: A finite element analysis.. J Appl Biomater Biomech, 3(3), 157-167.
- Idelsohn S, Peña J, Lacroix D, Planell JA, Gil FJ & Arcas A (2004) Continuous mandibular distraction osteogenesis using superelastic shape memory alloy (SMA).. J Mater Sci Mater Med, 15(4), 541-546.
- Lacroix D & Prendergast PJ (2002) Three-dimensional simulation of fracture repair in the human tibia.. Comput Methods Biomech Biomed Engin, 5(5), 369-376.
- Lacroix D & Prendergast PJ (2002) A mechano-regulation model for tissue differentiation during fracture healing: analysis of gap size and loading.. J Biomech, 35(9), 1163-1171.
- Lacroix D, Prendergast PJ, Li G & Marsh D (2002) Biomechanical model to simulate tissue differentiation and bone regeneration: application to fracture healing.. Med Biol Eng Comput, 40(1), 14-21.
- Lacroix D, Murphy LA & Prendergast PJ (2000) Three-dimensional finite element analysis of glenoid replacement prostheses: a comparison of keeled and pegged anchorage systems.. J Biomech Eng, 122(4), 430-436.
- Lacroix D & Prendergast PJ (1997) Stress analysis of glenoid component designs for shoulder arthroplasty.. Proc Inst Mech Eng H, 211(6), 467-474.
Conference proceedings papers
- Burnett A & Lacroix D (2015) MultiSim: Report of Stakeholder Workshop Outcomes. MultiSim: Report of Stakeholder Workshop Outcomes, Vol. 1(1) (pp 1-7). Insigneo Institute for in silico medicine, 7 September 2014 - 7 September 2014. View this article in WRRO
- Marin AC, Grossi T, Bianchi E, Dubini G & Lacroix D (2015) mu-Particle Image Velocimetry and Computational Fluid Dynamics Study of Perfusion Cell Seeding Within a 3d Porous Scaffold. TISSUE ENGINEERING PART A, Vol. 21 (pp S117-S118)
- Shariatzadeh M, Perrault C & Lacroix D (2015) Effect of Mechanical Stimulation on Osteogenic Differentiation of Self-Assembled Collagen-Cell Seeded Hydrogels. TISSUE ENGINEERING PART A, Vol. 21 (pp S271-S271)
- Checa S, Sandino C, Byrne DP, Kelly DJ, Lacroix D & Prendergast PJ (2011) Computational techniques for selection of biomaterial scaffolds for tissue engineering. Computational Methods in Applied Sciences, Vol. 20 (pp 55-69)
- Planell JA, Navarro M, Altankov G, Aparicio C, Engel E, Gil J, Ginebra MP & Lacroix D (2010) Materials Surface Effects on Biological Interactions. ADVANCES IN REGENERATIVE MEDICINE: ROLE OF NANOTECHNOLOGY AND ENGINEERING PRINCIPLES (pp 233-+)
- Viceconti M, Lacroix D, Dall'Ara E, Giorgi M, Palanca M & Cristofolini L Dataset SRACC: Synchrotron microCT for testing accuracy of Digital Volume Correlation (DVC) methods.