Dr Jose L. Curiel-Sosa
IngInd, MRes, PhD, CEng, MIMechE, EurIng
Lecturer in Aircraft Design and Aeroelasticity
Department of Mechanical Engineering
B79 Portobello Centre
Telephone: +44 (0) 114 222 7857
Fax: +44 (0) 114 222 7890
Dr Curiel-Sosa is a lecturer of Aircraft Design and Aeroelasticity in the Department of Mechanical Engineering since January 2013. He completed his PhD on Computational Modelling at Swansea University. He worked as a Research Assistant in Impact Engineering at the University of Oxford since 2005. In September 2007, he joined the Polytechnic University of Catalonia as a Lecturer in Applied Mathematics, teaching modules such as ‘Numerical Methods’ and ‘Computer Modelling' in Aerospace Engineering and in the Faculty of Mathematics. He also worked as a Senior Lecturer at Sheffield Hallam University (Jan/2010-Jan/2013).
Computer-Aided Aerospace & Mechanical Engineering (CA2M)
Dr Curiel-Sosa leads the CA2M which is a research group based at the University of Sheffield. Its aim is to develop novel research for enhanced predictive computational tools and to find solutions to engineering problems by means of advanced computer methods that can serve the industrial practice. Consultancy projects in engineering design, finite element analyses, and computer modelling are also part of the work conducted by CA2M. The group investigate within a wide range of topics including:
- Advanced computational analyses of nonlinear structures (composites, FGM, piezoelectric, elastic-plastic...).
- Innovative aerospace designs and systems through the advancement of numerical tools.
- Enhancement of structural integrity analyses through the development of tailored computational techniques.
- Failure assessment and prediction of damage (fracture, fatigue, ...)
- Damage prediction in machining of composites.
- Contribution to the advancement of methodologies for Aeroelasticity (flutter, divergence, control reversal, unsteady aerodynamics)
All of the above is conducted by using novel computational tools (XFEM, XIGA, DEM...) for enhanced reliability and accurateness. Although the origin of CA2M is within the aerospace and mechanical engineering theme, problems in other engineering branches such as civil are also undertaken.
Professional Activities and Recognition
- Associate Member of the EPSRC College of Reviewers
- Reviewer for research grant proposals: EPSRC, Croatian Science Foundation (CSF), National Science Centre, Poland (NCN).
- Referee for 21 indexed scientific journals
- Inspirational Teaching Award nomination-by-students (2011)
- PhD external examiner (UK and internationally)
- Chairman and organiser of minisymposium at 11th World Congress in Computational Mechanics
- Chairman -minisymposium- at 6th European Congress Comp Mech
- Invited external research seminars (Imperial College, Barcelona UPC, Sheffield Hallam, Swansea University, Warwick University)
- Member of the European Engineers Association (FEANI): EurIng
- Chartered engineer, UK Engineering Council (CEng).
- Affiliate, International Association of Computational Mechanics
- Affiliate, UK Association of Computational Mechanics (ACME).
- Member of Computational Mechanics and Design (CMD).
- Aircraft Design (AER380)
- Aircraft Aeroelasticity and Loads (MEC413/6413)
Current PhD Researchers (as 1st supervisor)
- Behrooz Tafazzolimoghaddam (Fatigue and Fracture on Aerospace Laminates using XFEM)
- Meor Iqram Meor Ahmad (Structural Integrity Including Creep on Mechanical Components in Aerospace Applications)
- Nur Azam bin Abdullah (Numerical Modeling of Passive Aeroelasticity on Self-Healing Composite Light Aircraft)
- Mahesa Akbar (Conceptual Design of Jet Transport Aircraft with Harvesting Energy Structure)
- Mohammad Hasan (Aircraft Design - Computing Evaluation of a Novel Concept)
- Fernando Cepero (Predicting Delamination Damage in the Machining of CFRP composites)
- Razvan Apetrei (Active Flow Control)
- [2013-2017] Dr Joaquin Navarro-Zafra with the thesis title “Computational Mechanics of Fracture on Advanced Aerospace Structures”.
- Curiel-Sosa JL, Tafazzolimoghaddam B & Zhang C (2018) Modelling fracture and delamination in composite laminates: Energy release rate and interfacial stress. Composite Structures, 189, 641-647. View this article in WRRO
- Abdullah NA, Curiel-Sosa JL & Akbar M (2018) Aeroelastic assessment of cracked composite plate by means of fully coupled finite element and Doublet Lattice Method. Composite Structures. View this article in WRRO
- Akbar M & Curiel-Sosa JL (2017) Evaluation of piezoelectric energy harvester under dynamic bending by means of hybrid mathematical/isogeometric analysis. International Journal of Mechanics and Materials in Design, 1-21. View this article in WRRO
- Ahmad MIM, Sosa JLC & Rongong JA (2017) Characterisation of creep behaviour using the power law model in copper alloy. Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Sciences, 11(1), 2503-2510. View this article in WRRO
- Abdullah NA, Curiel-Sosa JL, Taylor ZA, Tafazzolimoghaddam B, Martinez Vicente JL & Zhang C (2017) Transversal crack and delamination of laminates using XFEM. Composite Structures, 173, 78-85. View this article in WRRO
- Zhang C, Curiel-Sosa JL & Duodu EA (2017) Finite element analysis of the damage mechanism of 3D braided composites under high-velocity impact. Journal of Materials Science, 52(8), 4658-4674. View this article in WRRO
- Lai W, Yu T, Bui TQ, Wang Z, Curiel-Sosa JL, Das R & Hirose S (2017) 3-D elasto-plastic large deformations: IGA simulation by Bézier extraction of NURBS. Advances in Engineering Software, 108, 68-82. View this article in WRRO
- Zhang C, Curiel-Sosa JL & Bui TQ (2017) A novel interface constitutive model for prediction of stiffness and strength in 3D braided composites. Composite Structures, 163, 32-43. View this article in WRRO
- Wang Z, Yu T, Bui TQ, Tanaka S, Zhang C, Hirose S & Curiel-Sosa JL (2017) 3-D local mesh refinement XFEM with variable-node hexahedron elements for extraction of stress intensity factors of straight and curved planar cracks. Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 313, 375-405. View this article in WRRO
- Zhang C, Curiel-Sosa JL & Bui TQ (2017) Comparison of periodic mesh and free mesh on the mechanical properties prediction of 3D braided composites. Composite Structures, 159, 667-676. View this article in WRRO
- Akbar M & Curiel-Sosa JL (2016) Piezoelectric energy harvester composite under dynamic bending with implementation to aircraft wingbox structure. Composite Structures, 153, 193-203. View this article in WRRO
- Navarro-Zafra J, Curiel-Sosa JL & Serna Moreno MC (2016) Three-Dimensional Static and Dynamic Analysis of a Composite Cruciform Structure Subjected to Biaxial Loading: A Discontinuum Approach. Applied Composite Materials, 23(2), 139-154. View this article in WRRO
- Molina AJC & Curiel-Sosa JL (2016) A Large Strains Finite Element Multiscale Approach. International Journal of Computational Methods in Engineering Science and Mechanics, 17(1), 46-58. View this article in WRRO
- Ibbett J, Tafazzolimoghaddam B, Hernandez Delgadillo H & Curiel-Sosa JL (2015) What triggers a microcrack in printed engineering parts produced by selective laser sintering on the first place?. Materials and Design, 88, 588-597. View this article in WRRO
- Navarro-Zafra J, Curiel-Sosa JL & Serna Moreno MC (2015) Mixed-mode damage into a CGRP cruciform subjected to biaxial loading. Composite Structures, 133, 1093-1100. View this article in WRRO
- Tafazzolimoghaddam B & Curiel-Sosa JL (2015) On the calculation of energy release rates in composite laminates by finite element, boundary element, and analytical methods. Composites: Mechanics, Computations, Applications, 6(3), 219-237.
- Carneiro Molina AJ & Curiel-Sosa JL (2015) A multiscale finite element technique for nonlinear multi-phase materials. Finite Elements in Analysis and Design, 94(C), 64-80. View this article in WRRO
- Serna Moreno MC, Curiel-Sosa JL, Navarro-Zafra J, Martínez Vicente JL & López Cela JJ (2014) Crack propagation in a chopped glass-reinforced composite under biaxial testing by means of XFEM. Composite Structures, 119, 264-271. View this article in WRRO
- Beg OA, Mahabaleshwar US, Rashidi MM, Rahimzadeh N, Curiel-Sosa JL, Sarris I & Laraqi N (2014) Homotopy analysis of magnetohydrodynamic convection flow in manufacture of a viscoelastic fabric for space applications. International Journal for Applied Mathematics and Mechanics, 10, 9-49. View this article in WRRO
- Tripathi D, Bég OA & Curiel-Sosa JL (2014) Homotopy semi-numerical simulation of peristaltic flow of generalised Oldroyd-B fluids with slip effects. Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering, 17(4), 433-442.
- Curiel-Sosa JL, Beg OA & Murillo JML (2013) Finite element analysis of structural instability using an implicit/explicit switching technique. International Journal of Computational Methods in Engineering Science and Mechanics, 14(5), 452-464.
- Sosa JLC, Phaneendra S & Munoz JJ (2013) Modelling of mixed damage on fibre reinforced composite laminates subjected to low velocity impact. International Journal of Damage Mechanics, 22(3), 356-374. View this article in WRRO
- Curiel-Sosa JL & Owen DRJ (2013) Switching implicit-explicit numerical technique for nonlinear unstable structures. Revista Internacional de Metodos Numericos para Calculo y Diseno en Ingenieria, 29(2), 92-103.
- Curiel Sosa JL & Karapurath N (2012) Delamination modelling of GLARE using the extended finite element method. Composites Science and Technology, 72(7), 788-791. View this article in WRRO
- Sosa JLC (2010) Modeling of the nonlinear interface in reinforced concrete. International Journal of Computational Methods in Engineering Science and Mechanics, 11(3), 157-161.
- Curiel Sosa JL & Gil AJ (2009) Analysis of a continuum-based beam element in the framework of explicit-FEM. Finite Elements in Analysis and Design, 45(8-9), 583-591.
- Curiel Sosa JL, Petrinic N & Wiegand J (2008) A three-dimensional progressive damage model for fibre-composite materials. Mechanics Research Communications, 35(4), 219-221.
- Petrinic N, Sosa JLC, Siviour CR & Elliott BCF (2006) Improved predictive modelling of strain Localisation and ductile fracture in a Ti-6Al-4V alloy subjected to impact loading. Journal De Physique. IV : JP, 134, 147-155.
- Curiel Sosa JL, de Souza Neto E & Owen DRJ (2006) A combined implicit-explicit algorithm in time for non-linear finite element analysis. Communications in Numerical Methods in Engineering, 22(1), 63-75.
- Curiel-Sosa JL, Brighenti R, Serna Moreno MC & Barbieri E (2015) Computational techniques for simulation of damage and failure on composites In Beaumont P & Soutis C (Ed.), Structural Integrity and Durability of Advanced Composites Woodhead Publishing View this article in WRRO
- Curiel Sosa JL (2011) Finite Element Analysis of Progressive Degradation versus Failure Stress Criteria on Composite Damage Mechanics In Attaf B (Ed.), Advances in Composite Materials - Ecodesign and Analysis View this article in WRRO
Conference proceedings papers
- Akbar M & Curiel-Sosa JL (2017) Implementation of Multiphase Piezoelectric Composites on Aircraft Wingbox Structure for Energy Harvesting Purpose. Proceedings of the 20th International Conference on Composite Structures. Paris, France, 4 September 2017 - 7 September 2017.
- Abdullah NA, Curiel-Sosa JL & Akbar M (2017) Flutter assessment on composite plate with crack by means of fully coupled Finite Element and Doublet Lattice Method. Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Mechanics of Composites. Bologna, 4 July 2017 - 7 July 2017.
- Abdullah NA, Curiel-Sosa JL, Taylor ZA, Tafazzolimoghaddam B, Martinez Vicente JL & Zhang C (2017) Modelling of transversal crack and delamination under traction with XFEM. Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Mechanics of Composites, 4 July 2017 - 7 July 2017. View this article in WRRO
- Curiel Sosa J, Ahmad MIM & Rongong J (2017) Development of modified-Rousselier model for creep damage problems in eXtended finite element method (XFEM) approach. CFRAC 2017. Nantes, France, 14 June 2017 - 16 June 2017.
- Curiel Sosa J & Bui TQ (2017) Advances in Computational Failure of Composites. Proceedings of the 2017 US Engineering Mechanics Institute Conference. San Diego, USA, 4 June 2017 - 7 June 2017.
- Akbar M & Curiel-Sosa JL (2017) Hybrid mathematical/isogeometric analysis of piezoelectric energy harvester composite under dynamic bending. Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Mechanics and Materials in Design. Albufeira, Portugal, 11 June 2017 - 15 June 2017.
- Curiel-Sosa JL, Tafazzolimoghaddam B, Navarro-Zafra J, Akbar M, Abdullah NA & Ahmad MIM (2017) Modelling technique for delamination and fracture. Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Mechanics and Materials in Design. Albufeira, Portugal, 11 June 2017 - 15 June 2017.
- Meor Ahmad MI & Curiel-Sosa J (2016) Characterization of Creep Behaviour using Maxwell Model in 7075 Aluminium Alloy. Symposium on Damage Mechanism in Materials and Structures 2016 (SDMMS 2016). Malaysia, 9 August 2016.
- Curiel-Sosa J & Apetrei R (2016) A numerical investigation on Circulation Controlled Lift Augmentation for STOL Aircraft. The 2016 Applied Aerodynamics Conference: Evolution & Innovation Continues- The Next 150 Years of Co. Bristol, 21 July 2016.
- Curiel-Sosa J, Navarro-Zafra J, Tafazzolimoghaddam B & Serna Moreno MC (2016) Extended Finite Element Method: Strategies for Delamination and Fracture in Composites. Proceedings of II MechComp conference. Porto, Portugal, 11 July 2016 - 14 July 2016.
- Navarro-Zafra J, Curiel-Sosa J, Serna Moreno MC, Pinna , Martinez Vicente JL, Rohaizat N & Tafazzolimoghaddam B (2016) An approach for dynamic analysis of stationary cracks using XFEM. Proceedings of the 24th UK Conference of the Association for Computational Mechanics in Engineering. Cardiff, UK, 31 March 2016 - 1 April 2016. View this article in WRRO
- Tafazzolimoghaddam B, Curiel-Sosa J & Navarro Zafra J (2015) Energy release rates in composite laminates by finite element, boundary element, and analytical methods. 23rd UK Conference of the Association for Computational Mechanics in Engineering.. Swansea, 8 April 2015 - 10 April 2015.
- Navarro-Zafra J, Curiel-Sosa JL & Serna Moreno MC (2015) 3D Crack analysis of a CGRP cruciform under biaxial loading using two numerical approaches: XFEM and PDM. 23rd UK Conference of the Association for Computational Mechanics in Engineering. Swansea, 8 April 2015 - 10 April 2015.
- Curiel-Sosa JL, Barbieri E & Baiz Villafranca PM (2014) Minisymposium: "Computational techniques and simulation of damage/failure in composite materials". 11th. World Congress on Computational Mechanics (WCCM2014) 5th. European Conference on Computational. Barcelona, Spain, 20 July 2014 - 25 July 2014.
- Curiel-Sosa JL, Tafazzolimoghadam B, Navarro-Zafra J & Serna Moreno MC (2014) Damage and Failure in Composites. 11th World Congress on Computational Mechanics (WCCM XI). Barcelona, Spain, 20 July 2014 - 25 July 2014.
- Serna Moreno MC, Curiel-Sosa JL & Navarro-Zafra J (2014) Initiation and evolution of cracks in a chopped glass reinforced composite under biaxial testing by means of XFEM. 16th European Conference on Composite Materials. Seville, Spain, 22 June 2014 - 26 June 2014.
- Navarro-Zafra J, Curiel-Sosa JL & Serna Moreno MC (2014) 3D crack analysis of a chopped glass-reinforced polyester cruciform specimen under biaxial loading using two different numerical techniques for modelling cracks: XFEM and a progressive damage model. 18th International Conference on Composite Structures (ICCS18). Lisbon, Portugal, 15 June 2015 - 19 June 2015.
- Fatoba O, Akid R, Myriounis D & Curiel Sosa J (2012) Lifetime modelling for corrosión fatigue. National Conference in metallic materials. Manchester, UK
- Curiel Sosa JL, Muñoz JJ, Pinho ST, Li Q & Beg OA (2012) Simulation of damage on laminates. ECCOMAS 2012 - European Congress on Computational Methods in Applied Sciences and Engineering, e-Book Full Papers (pp 1940-1946) View this article in WRRO
- Curiel Sosa J, Huerta A, Peraire J, Muñoz JJ & Bonet J (2009) Optimization of collapse state in frames. 8th W Numerical Methods in Applied Science and Engineering (NMASE). Vall de Nuria, Barcelona, 15 January 2009 - 16 January 2009.
- Curiel Sosa J (2008) A novel directional damage model for fibre reinforced composites. . September 2-5, 2008.. Ninth Computational Structures Technology Conference. Athens, Greece, 2 September 2008 - 5 September 2008.
- Curiel Sosa JL (2008) A novel directional damage model for composites. Civil-Comp Proceedings, Vol. 88
- Curiel Sosa J, Petrinic N, Siviour CR & Elliot BCF (2007) On competing volumetric and deviatoric damage mechanisms in simulation of ductile fracture in Ti64 alloy at high rates of strains. 10th European Mechanics of Materials Conference (EMMC10), Multi-phases and multi-components material. Kazimierz Dolny, Poland, 11 June 2007 - 14 June 2007.
- Curiel Sosa J, Owen DRJ & Petrinic N (2006) Modelling of reinforced materials by a subcycling algorithm. Computational Mechanics, Solids, Structures and Coupled Problems in Engineering. Lisbon, Portugal, 5 June 2006 - 8 June 2006.
- Curiel Sosa JL, De Souza Neto E & Owen DRJ (2005) In-time implicit-explicit algorithm for nonlinear finite element analysis. 3rd M.I.T. Conference on Computational Fluid and Solid Mechanics (pp 1090-1094)
- Curiel-Sosa JL Personal webpage for research outputs. Retrieved from http://www.ca2m.group.shef.ac.uk/
Theses / Dissertations
- Curiel Sosa JL (2006) Computational Modelling of Critical Points and Structural Discontinuities. Swansea University. View this article in WRRO
- Curiel-Sosa JL (2015) Book Review of 'Introduction to Aeronautics: a Design Perspective'-Third Edition. Aeronautical Journal, 1463-1464. View this article in WRRO