Dr Jose L. Curiel-Sosa
IngInd, MRes, PhD, CEng, MIMechE, EurIng, SFHEA
Lecturer in Aircraft Design and Aeroelasticity
Department of Mechanical Engineering
Telephone: +44 (0) 114 222 7857
Fax: +44 (0) 114 222 7890
Research Group: CA2M
After undertaking his engineering studies at the University of Seville, Jose joined Reyplas, a composite manufacturing company supplying the aerospace sectors. He was later awarded a Master of Research (MRes) in Finite Element Analysis and Computer Modelling in Mechanical Engineering from Swansea University. This was followed by his PhD on Computational Modelling of Critical Points and Structural Instabilities, also completed at Swansea University.
From August 2005 to September 2007, Jose worked as a Research Assistant in Impact Engineering in the Department of Engineering Science of the University of Oxford. In September 2007, he joined the Polytechnic University of Catalonia, Barcelona, as a Lecturer in Applied Mathematics. Here he taught modules such as 'Numerical Methods' and 'Computer Modelling' in the Schools of Civil and Aerospace Engineering and the Faculty of Mathematics.
Jose's research focused on the development of new simulation software for calculating structural collapse and failure in a range of structures and mechanisms. In addition, he investigated the structural integrity of urban design concepts subjected to impact loading, a project that was sponsored by FDB Ltd. Jose also conducted research, sponsored by Rolls-Royce, on damage modelling of aircraft engine blade roots.
In January 2010 he joined Sheffield Hallam University as a Senior Lecturer in Mechanical Engineering, teaching topics such as Finite Element Method, Solid Mechanics, Fatigue, Fracture Mechanics and Aerospace Structures. Since January 2013, he has worked as a lecturer in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Sheffield.
Jose is a member of the European engineers association FEANI (EurIng), a chartered engineer (CEng), and a member of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (MIMechE). In his spare time he likes reading Spanish and English Literature, country walks, birdwatching and running.
Jose’s learning and teaching approach is best described as project-based and research-led. Project-based learning is recognised as very effective for the development of professional skills in engineering students, aligning effectively learning outcomes to those skills. In his Aircraft Design module, students work cooperatively to design an aircraft concept, encouraging the incorporation of recent innovations from the aeronautical sector. Short period activities are embedded within his lectures to promote student interaction, critical thinking and problem-solving, making use of learning technology –e.g. audience response systems- to communicate and receive feedback from students in real time.
Strategies to improve inclusivity of all students independently of their background or origin is an area he is keen on finding new teaching methods to enhance it. Thus, he created the Aircraft Design Café in which informal discussions on this and any matters of interest for students can be raised. He has consistently received high scores for his learning and teaching strategy, which has led to several award nominations for teaching and doctoral supervision.
Jose is recognised as a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. He acts as assessor for the Learning and Teaching Professional Recognition Scheme ( LTPRS ) at TUOS. LTPRS follows the UK Professional Standards Framework to acknowledge success in Higher Education.
Computer-Aided Aerospace & Mechanical Engineering (CA2M)
Dr Curiel-Sosa leads the CA2M which is a research group based at the University of Sheffield.
The group investigate within a wide range of topics including:
- Computational analyses of nonlinear structures (composites, FGM, piezoelectric, elastic-plastic)
- Computational aerodynamics: active flow control, transonic buffet
- Innovative aerospace designs and systems
- Failure assessment and prediction of damage (fracture, fatigue, delamination)
- Contribution to the advancement of methodologies for Aeroelasticity (flutter, divergence, control reversal, unsteady aerodynamics, energy harvesting)
Professional Activities and Recognition
- Nominated by University of Sheffield students to the Outstanding Teaching Students’ Union Academic Award (2017, 2018)
- Nominated by PhD students to the Best Postgraduate Supervisor Students’ Union Academic Award (2018)
- Full Member of the EPSRC College of Reviewers
- Nominated to the TUOS Senate Award for “Sustained Excellence” in 2017
- Inspirational Teaching Award nomination-by-students (2011)
- PhD external examiner: University of Manchester, University of Oviedo (Spain), University of Castilla La Mancha (Spain), Putra Malaysia, University of Warwick, University of Greenwich
- Invited talks: Imperial College, Barcelona UPC, Sheffield Hallam, Swansea University, University of Warwick)
- Reviewer for research grant proposals: EPSRC, Croatian Science Foundation (CSF), National Science Centre, Poland (NCN)
- Member of the European Engineers Association (FEANI): EurIng
- Chartered engineer, UK Engineering Council (CEng)
Completed PhD's (as 1st supervisor)
[2015-2018] Dr Nur Azam bin Abdullah, with the thesis title “Numerical Modelling of Fracture and Aeroelasticity in Fluttering Composite Structures for Aerospace Applications”.
[2013-2017] Dr Behrooz Tafazzolimoghaddam with the thesis title “Computational Mechanics of Fracture and Fatigue on Composite Laminates by means of XFEM and CZM”
[2013-2017] Dr Joaquin Navarro-Zafra with the thesis title “Computational Mechanics of Fracture on Advanced Aerospace Structures”.
- Alsaadi A, Meredith J, Swait T, Curiel-Sosa JL, Jia Y & Hayes S (2019) Structural health monitoring for woven fabric CFRP laminates. Composites Part B: Engineering, 174. View this article in WRRO
- Akbar M & Curiel-Sosa JL (2019) An iterative finite element method for piezoelectric energy harvesting composite with implementation to lifting structures under Gust Load Conditions. Composite Structures, 219, 97-110. View this article in WRRO
- Alsaadi A, Meredith J, Swait T, Curiel-Sosa JL & Hayes S (2019) Damage detection and location in woven fabric CFRP laminate panels. Composite Structures, 220, 168-178. View this article in WRRO
- Cepero-Mejías F, Curiel-Sosa JL, Zhang C & Phadnis VA (2019) Effect of cutter geometry on machining induced damage in orthogonal cutting of UD polymer composites: FE study. Composite Structures, 214, 439-450. View this article in WRRO
- Wang C, Yu T, Curiel-Sosa JL, Xie N & Bui TQ (2019) Adaptive chaotic particle swarm algorithm for isogeometric multi-objective size optimization of FG plates. Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, 60(2), 757-778.
- Zhu Q, Zhang C, Curiel-Sosa JL, Quoc Bui T & Xu X (2019) Finite element simulation of damage in fiber metal laminates under high velocity impact by projectiles with different shapes. Composite Structures, 214, 73-82.
- Cepero-Mejias F, Phadnis VA & Curiel-Sosa JL (2019) Machining induced damage in orthogonal cutting of UD composites: FEA based assessment of Hashin and Puck criteria. Procedia CIRP, 82, 332-337. View this article in WRRO
- Apetrei RM, Curiel-Sosa JL & Qin N (2019) Using the reynolds stress model to predict shock-induced separation on transport aircraft. Journal of Aircraft, 56(2), 583-590. View this article in WRRO
- Ahmad MIM, Curiel-Sosa JL, Arun S & Rongong JA (2019) An enhanced void-crack-based Rousselier damage model for ductile fracture with the XFEM. International Journal of Damage Mechanics, 28(6), 943-969. View this article in WRRO
- Zhang C, Curiel-Sosa JL & Bui TQ (2019) Meso-Scale Finite Element Analysis of Mechanical Behavior of 3D Braided Composites Subjected to Biaxial Tension Loadings. Applied Composite Materials, 26(1), 139-157. View this article in WRRO
- Zhang C, Curiel-Sosa JL & Bui TQ (2018) Meso-scale progressive damage modeling and life prediction of 3D braided composites under fatigue tension loading. Composite Structures, 201, 62-71. View this article in WRRO
- Zhang C, Mao C, Curiel-Sosa JL & Bui TQ (2018) Meso-Scale Finite Element Simulations of 3D Braided Textile Composites: Effects of Force Loading Modes. Applied Composite Materials, 25(4), 823-841. View this article in WRRO
- Akbar M & Curiel-Sosa JL (2018) Implementation of multiphase piezoelectric composites energy harvester on aircraft wingbox structure with fuel saving evaluation. Composite Structures, 202, 1000-1020. View this article in WRRO
- Curiel-Sosa JL, Tafazzolimoghaddam B & Zhang C (2018) Modelling fracture and delamination in composite laminates: Energy release rate and interfacial stress. Composite Structures, 189, 641-647. View this article in WRRO
- Abdullah NA, Curiel-Sosa JL & Akbar M (2018) Aeroelastic assessment of cracked composite plate by means of fully coupled finite element and Doublet Lattice Method. Composite Structures, 202, 151-161. View this article in WRRO
- Vu TV, Curiel-Sosa JL & Bui TQ (2018) A refined sin hyperbolic shear deformation theory for sandwich FG plates by enhanced meshfree with new correlation function. International Journal of Mechanics and Materials in Design.
- Akbar M & Curiel-Sosa JL (2018) Evaluation of piezoelectric energy harvester under dynamic bending by means of hybrid mathematical/isogeometric analysis. International Journal of Mechanics and Materials in Design, 14(4), 647-667. View this article in WRRO
- Ahmad MIM, Sosa JLC & Rongong JA (2017) Characterisation of creep behaviour using the power law model in copper alloy. Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Sciences, 11(1), 2503-2510. View this article in WRRO
- Abdullah NA, Curiel-Sosa JL, Taylor ZA, Tafazzolimoghaddam B, Martinez Vicente JL & Zhang C (2017) Transversal crack and delamination of laminates using XFEM. Composite Structures, 173, 78-85. View this article in WRRO
- Zhang C, Curiel-Sosa JL & Duodu EA (2017) Finite element analysis of the damage mechanism of 3D braided composites under high-velocity impact. Journal of Materials Science, 52(8), 4658-4674. View this article in WRRO
- Lai W, Yu T, Bui TQ, Wang Z, Curiel-Sosa JL, Das R & Hirose S (2017) 3-D elasto-plastic large deformations: IGA simulation by Bézier extraction of NURBS. Advances in Engineering Software, 108, 68-82. View this article in WRRO
- Zhang C, Curiel-Sosa JL & Bui TQ (2017) A novel interface constitutive model for prediction of stiffness and strength in 3D braided composites. Composite Structures, 163, 32-43. View this article in WRRO
- Wang Z, Yu T, Bui TQ, Tanaka S, Zhang C, Hirose S & Curiel-Sosa JL (2017) 3-D local mesh refinement XFEM with variable-node hexahedron elements for extraction of stress intensity factors of straight and curved planar cracks. Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 313, 375-405. View this article in WRRO
- Zhang C, Curiel-Sosa JL & Bui TQ (2017) Comparison of periodic mesh and free mesh on the mechanical properties prediction of 3D braided composites. Composite Structures, 159, 667-676. View this article in WRRO
- Akbar M & Curiel-Sosa JL (2016) Piezoelectric energy harvester composite under dynamic bending with implementation to aircraft wingbox structure. Composite Structures, 153, 193-203. View this article in WRRO
- Navarro-Zafra J, Curiel-Sosa JL & Serna Moreno MC (2016) Three-Dimensional Static and Dynamic Analysis of a Composite Cruciform Structure Subjected to Biaxial Loading: A Discontinuum Approach. Applied Composite Materials, 23(2), 139-154. View this article in WRRO
- Molina AJC & Curiel-Sosa JL (2016) A Large Strains Finite Element Multiscale Approach. International Journal of Computational Methods in Engineering Science and Mechanics, 17(1), 46-58. View this article in WRRO
- Ibbett J, Tafazzolimoghaddam B, Hernandez Delgadillo H & Curiel-Sosa JL (2015) What triggers a microcrack in printed engineering parts produced by selective laser sintering on the first place?. Materials and Design, 88, 588-597. View this article in WRRO
- Navarro-Zafra J, Curiel-Sosa JL & Serna Moreno MC (2015) Mixed-mode damage into a CGRP cruciform subjected to biaxial loading. Composite Structures, 133, 1093-1100. View this article in WRRO
- Tafazzolimoghaddam B & Curiel-Sosa JL (2015) On the calculation of energy release rate in composites by Finite Elements, Boundary Elements and Analytical Methods. Composites: Mechanics, Computations, Applications, 6(3), 219-237. View this article in WRRO
- Tafazzolimoghaddam B & Curiel-Sosa JL (2015) On the calculation of energy release rates in composite laminates by finite element, boundary element, and analytical methods. Composites: Mechanics, Computations, Applications, 6(3), 219-237.
- Carneiro Molina AJ & Curiel-Sosa JL (2015) A multiscale finite element technique for nonlinear multi-phase materials. Finite Elements in Analysis and Design, 94(C), 64-80. View this article in WRRO
- Serna Moreno MC, Curiel-Sosa JL, Navarro-Zafra J, Martínez Vicente JL & López Cela JJ (2014) Crack propagation in a chopped glass-reinforced composite under biaxial testing by means of XFEM. Composite Structures, 119, 264-271. View this article in WRRO
- Beg OA, Mahabaleshwar US, Rashidi MM, Rahimzadeh N, Curiel-Sosa JL, Sarris I & Laraqi N (2014) Homotopy analysis of magnetohydrodynamic convection flow in manufacture of a viscoelastic fabric for space applications. International Journal for Applied Mathematics and Mechanics, 10, 9-49. View this article in WRRO
- Tripathi D, Bég OA & Curiel-Sosa JL (2014) Homotopy semi-numerical simulation of peristaltic flow of generalised Oldroyd-B fluids with slip effects. Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering, 17(4), 433-442.
- Curiel-Sosa JL, Beg OA & Murillo JML (2013) Finite element analysis of structural instability using an implicit/explicit switching technique. International Journal of Computational Methods in Engineering Science and Mechanics, 14(5), 452-464.
- Sosa JLC, Phaneendra S & Munoz JJ (2013) Modelling of mixed damage on fibre reinforced composite laminates subjected to low velocity impact. International Journal of Damage Mechanics, 22(3), 356-374. View this article in WRRO
- Curiel-Sosa JL & Owen DRJ (2013) Switching implicit-explicit numerical technique for nonlinear unstable structures. Revista Internacional de Metodos Numericos para Calculo y Diseno en Ingenieria, 29(2), 92-103.
- Curiel Sosa JL & Karapurath N (2012) Delamination modelling of GLARE using the extended finite element method. Composites Science and Technology, 72(7), 788-791. View this article in WRRO
- Sosa JLC (2010) Modeling of the nonlinear interface in reinforced concrete. International Journal of Computational Methods in Engineering Science and Mechanics, 11(3), 157-161.
- Curiel Sosa JL & Gil AJ (2009) Analysis of a continuum-based beam element in the framework of explicit-FEM. Finite Elements in Analysis and Design, 45(8-9), 583-591.
- Curiel Sosa JL, Petrinic N & Wiegand J (2008) A three-dimensional progressive damage model for fibre-composite materials. Mechanics Research Communications, 35(4), 219-221.
- Petrinic N, Sosa JLC, Siviour CR & Elliott BCF (2006) Improved predictive modelling of strain Localisation and ductile fracture in a Ti-6Al-4V alloy subjected to impact loading. Journal De Physique. IV : JP, 134, 147-155.
- Curiel Sosa JL, de Souza Neto E & Owen DRJ (2006) A combined implicit-explicit algorithm in time for non-linear finite element analysis. Communications in Numerical Methods in Engineering, 22(1), 63-75.
- Bég OA, Rashidi MM, Mahabaleswar US, Rahimzadeh N, Curiel-Sosa JL & Laraqi N () Homotoy analysis of magnetohydrodynamic convection flow in manufacture of a viscoelastic fabric for space applications. International Journal of Applied Mathematics and Mechanics.
- Curiel-Sosa JL, Brighenti R, Serna Moreno MC & Barbieri E (2015) Computational techniques for simulation of damage and failure in composite materials, Structural Integrity and Durability of Advanced Composites (pp. 199-219). Elsevier View this article in WRRO
- Curiel Sosa JL (2011) Finite Element Analysis of Progressive Degradation versus Failure Stress Criteria on Composite Damage Mechanics In Attaf B (Ed.), Advances in Composite Materials - Ecodesign and Analysis View this article in WRRO
Conference proceedings papers
- Ahmad MIM, Curiel-Sosa JL, Akbar M & Abdullah NA (2018) Numerical Inspection based on Quasi-Static Analysis using Rousselier Damage Model for Aluminium Wingbox Aircraft Structure. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, Vol. 1106(1) View this article in WRRO
- Wirawan N, Abdullah NA, Akbar M & Curiel-Sosa JL (2018) Analysis on Cracked Commuter Aircraft Wing under Dynamic Cruise Load by Means of XFEM. Journal of Physics: Conference Series, Vol. 1106(1) View this article in WRRO
- Abdullah NA, Wirawan N, Curiel-Sosa JL & Akbar M (2018) Aerofracturelastic on Wing Box of Multi-Purpose Commuter Aircraft Under Gust Load by means of XFEM. Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Integrity – Reliability -Failure. Lisbon, Portugal, 22 July 2018 - 26 July 2018. View this article in WRRO
- Abdullah NA, Curiel-Sosa JL, Wirawan N, Akbar M & Curiel Sosa JL (2018) Structural Integrity Assessment on Cracked Composite Plate under Aeroelastic Loading by means of XFEM. Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Integrity – Reliability -Failure. Lisbon, Portugal, 22 July 2018 - 26 July 2018. View this article in WRRO
- Akbar M & Curiel-Sosa JL (2017) Implementation of Multiphase Piezoelectric Composites on Aircraft Wingbox Structure for Energy Harvesting Purpose. Proceedings of the 20th International Conference on Composite Structures. Paris, France, 4 September 2017 - 7 September 2017.
- Abdullah NA, Curiel-Sosa JL & Akbar M (2017) Flutter assessment on composite plate with crack by means of fully coupled Finite Element and Doublet Lattice Method. Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Mechanics of Composites. Bologna, 4 July 2017 - 7 July 2017.
- (2017) Mechcomp3 3rd International Conference of Mechanics of Composite View this article in WRRO
- Curiel Sosa J, Ahmad MIM & Rongong J (2017) Development of modified-Rousselier model for creep damage problems in eXtended finite element method (XFEM) approach. CFRAC 2017. Nantes, France, 14 June 2017 - 16 June 2017.
- Akbar M & Sosa JLC (2017) HYBRID MATHEMATICAL/ISOGEOMETRIC ANALYSIS OF PIEZOELECTRIC ENERGY HARVESTER COMPOSITE UNDER DYNAMIC BENDING. PROCEEDINGS OF THE 7TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON MECHANICS AND MATERIALS IN DESIGN (M2D2017) (pp 53-62)
- Curiel-Sosa JL, Tafazzolimoghaddam B, Navarro-Zafra J, Akbar M, Abdullah NA & Ahmad MIM (2017) MODELLING TECHNIQUES FOR DELAMINATION AND FRACTURE OF COMPOSITES. PROCEEDINGS OF THE 7TH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON MECHANICS AND MATERIALS IN DESIGN (M2D2017) (pp 1181-1182)
- Abdullah NA & Curiel-Sosa J (2016) Aerodynamics Modelling of a New Smart Light Aircraft. Applied Aerodynamics Conference. London, 19 July 2016 - 21 July 2016.
- Curiel-Sosa J, Navarro-Zafra J, Tafazzolimoghaddam B & Serna Moreno MC (2016) Extended Finite Element Method: Strategies for Delamination and Fracture in Composites. Proceedings of II MechComp conference. Porto, Portugal, 11 July 2016 - 14 July 2016.
- Tafazzolimoghaddam B, Curiel-Sosa J & Navarro Zafra J (2015) Energy release rates in composite laminates by finite element, boundary element, and analytical methods. 23rd UK Conference of the Association for Computational Mechanics in Engineering.. Swansea, 8 April 2015 - 10 April 2015.
- Curiel-Sosa JL, Tafazzolimoghadam B, Navarro-Zafra J & Serna Moreno MC (2014) Damage and Failure in Composites. 11th World Congress on Computational Mechanics (WCCM XI). Barcelona, Spain, 20 July 2014 - 25 July 2014.
- Serna Moreno MC, Curiel Sosa JL & Navarro Zafra J (2014) Initiation and evolution of cracks in a chopped glass-reinforced composite under biaxial testing by means of XFEM. 16th European Conference on Composite Materials, ECCM 2014
- Navarro-Zafra J, Curiel-Sosa JL & Serna Moreno MC (2014) 3D crack analysis of a chopped glass-reinforced polyester cruciform specimen under biaxial loading using two different numerical techniques for modelling cracks: XFEM and a progressive damage model. 18th International Conference on Composite Structures (ICCS18). Lisbon, Portugal, 15 June 2015 - 19 June 2015.
- Curiel Sosa JL, Muñoz JJ, Pinho ST, Li Q & Beg OA (2012) Simulation of damage on laminates. ECCOMAS 2012 - European Congress on Computational Methods in Applied Sciences and Engineering, e-Book Full Papers (pp 1940-1946) View this article in WRRO
- Curiel Sosa JL (2008) A novel directional damage model for composites. Civil-Comp Proceedings, Vol. 88
- Curiel Sosa J, Petrinic N, Siviour CR & Elliot BCF (2007) On competing volumetric and deviatoric damage mechanisms in simulation of ductile fracture in Ti64 alloy at high rates of strains. 10th European Mechanics of Materials Conference (EMMC10), Multi-phases and multi-components material. Kazimierz Dolny, Poland, 11 June 2007 - 14 June 2007.
- Sosa JLC, Petrinic N, de Neto EAS & Owen DRJ (2006) Modelling of reinforced materials by a subcycling algorithm (pp 121-121)
- Curiel Sosa JL, De Souza Neto E & Owen DRJ (2005) In-time implicit-explicit algorithm for nonlinear finite element analysis. 3rd M.I.T. Conference on Computational Fluid and Solid Mechanics (pp 1090-1094)
Theses / Dissertations
- Curiel Sosa JL (2006) Computational Modelling of Critical Points and Structural Discontinuities. Swansea University. View this article in WRRO
- Curiel-Sosa JL (2015) Book Review of 'Introduction to Aeronautics: a Design Perspective'-Third Edition. Aeronautical Journal, 1463-1464. View this article in WRRO