Professor Lin Ma
BSc, MSc, PhD
Department of Mechanical Engineering
1st floor, the Arts Tower
Sheffield S10 2TN
T +44(0)114 21 57212
Professor Ma completed his PhD at the University of Leeds, then took a series of posts at the University including Research Fellow, Senior Research Fellow, Senior Lecturer and Associate Professor. He has been working on sustainable energy technology and in particular on computational fluid dynamics (CFD) modelling of various energy processes and a wide range of industrial fluid flow, heat and mass transfer problems. He took up the post of Professor of Mechanical Engineering (Energy) at the University of Sheffield in February 2015, as a member of the Energy 2050 initiative.
Areas of Research
Lin’s research is in the field of future clean and sustainable energy technology with a focus on multi-scale energy process computational and CFD modelling. His active research areas include carbon capture and storage from power generation processes, clean coal/biomass combustion for power generation and pollutants formation prediction, fuel related ash deposition, slagging and fouling in power plant furnaces, future power plant multi-scale and dynamic simulation, wind turbine aerodynamics and wind resources prediction, fuel cells and anaerobic digestion processes modelling.
He has been participating in a number of major clean fuel and renewable energy technology research projects sponsored by RCUK, TSB, EU, and industry. He has co-authored over 160 pear reviewed research papers in leading scientific research journals and conferences, including the publication of two books and two patents.
Current Research Grants
EPSRC - Opening New Fuels for UK Generation, £455k
EPSRC - Selective exhaust gas recirculation for CCS with GT, £340k
EPSRC - Process intensification for post-combustion capture, £350k
EPSRC - BioCPV - Integration of biomass and photovoltaic system, £500k
EU FP7 SWIP wind turbine development and demonstration, €670k
EU FP7 RELCOM - Oxy-coal combustion (FP7-268191), €622k
EPSRC UKCCSRC - Bio-CAP - Biomass combustion with CO2 capture, £750k
EPSRC UKCCSRC - Radiative heat flux in small/large scale furnaces, £200k
EPSRC UKCCSRC - Oxy-coal combustion with real flue/vent gas recycling, £255k
- Xie P, Lu X, Yang X, Ingham D, Ma L & Pourkashanian M (2017) Characteristics of liquid flow in a rotating packed bed for CO 2 capture: A CFD analysis. Chemical Engineering Science, 172, 216-229. View this article in WRRO
- Aslam RM, Ingham DB, Ismail MS, Hughes KJ, Ma L & Pourkashanian M (2017) Simultaneous direct visualisation of liquid water in the cathode and anode serpentine flow channels of proton exchange membrane (PEM) fuel cells. Journal of the Energy Institute. View this article in WRRO
- Simoes MC, Hughes KJ, Ingham DB, Ma L & Pourkashanian M (2017) Temperature Dependence of the Parameters in the Pitzer Equations. Journal of Chemical & Engineering Data, 62(7), 2000-2013. View this article in WRRO
- Simoes MC, Hughes KJ, Ingham DB, Ma L & Pourkashanian M (2017) Estimation of the Thermochemical Radii and Ionic Volumes of Complex Ions. Inorganic Chemistry, 56(13), 7566-7573. View this article in WRRO
- Erete JI, Hughes KJ, Ma L, Fairweather M, Pourkashanian M & Williams A (2017) Effect of CO2 dilution on the structure and emissions from turbulent, non-premixed methane–air jet flames. Journal of the Energy Institute, 90(2), 191-200.
- Ismail MS, Ingham DB, Ma L, Hughes KJ & Pourkashanian M (2017) Effects of catalyst agglomerate shape in polymer electrolyte fuel cells investigated by a multi-scale modelling framework. Energy, 122, 420-430. View this article in WRRO
- Orogbemi OM, Ingham DB, Ismail MS, Hughes KJ, Ma L & Pourkashanian M (2017) Through-plane gas permeability of gas diffusion layers and microporous layer: Effects of carbon loading and sintering. Journal of the Energy Institute. View this article in WRRO
- Ali U, Hughes KJ, Ingham DB, Ma L & Pourkashanian M (2017) Effect of the CO2 enhancement on the performance of a micro gas turbine with a pilot-scale CO2 capture plant. Chemical Engineering Research and Design, 117, 11-23. View this article in WRRO
- Cross D, Hughes B, Ingham D & Ma L (2017) Enhancing the piston effect in underground railway tunnels. Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology, 61, 71-81. View this article in WRRO
- Ikonwa CA, Gale WF, Ingham DB, Ma L & Pourkashanian M (2016) Investigation of airfoil profiles for use in self-starting, small-scale, low reynolds number vertical axis wind turbines. International Journal of Environmental Sustainability, 12(3), 33-52. View this article in WRRO
- Simoes MC, Hughes KJ, Ingham DB, Ma L & Pourkashanian M (2016) Estimation of the Pitzer Parameters for 1–1, 2–1, 3–1, 4–1, and 2–2 Single Electrolytes at 25 °C. Journal of Chemical & Engineering Data, 61(7), 2536-2554. View this article in WRRO
- Ali U, Agbonghae EO, Hughes KJ, Ingham DB, Ma L & Pourkashanian M (2016) Techno-economic process design of a commercial-scale amine-based CO2 capture system for natural gas combined cycle power plant with exhaust gas recirculation. Applied Thermal Engineering, 103, 747-758. View this article in WRRO
- Owhondah R, Walker M, Ma L, Nimmo W, Poggio D & Pourkashanian M (2016) Assessment and parameter identification of simplified models to describe the kinetics of semi-continuous biomethane production from anaerobic digestion of green and food waste. Bioprocess and Biosystems Engineering, 39(6), 977-992. View this article in WRRO
- De Santis A, Ingham DB, Ma L & Pourkashanian M (2016) CFD analysis of exhaust gas recirculation in a micro gas turbine combustor for CO2 capture. Fuel, 173, 146-154. View this article in WRRO
- Ismail MS, Ingham DB, Hughes , Ma & Pourkashanian (2016) The effects of shape on the performance of cathode catalyst agglomerates in polymer electrolyte fuel cells: a micro-scale FEM study. International Journal of Numerical Methods for Heat and Fluid Flow. View this article in WRRO
- Yang X, Ingham D, Ma L, Williams A & Pourkashanian M (2016) Predicting ash deposition behaviour for co-combustion of palm kernel with coal based on CFD modelling of particle impaction and sticking. Fuel, 165, 41-49. View this article in WRRO
- Fei Y, Black S, Szuhánszki J, Ma L, Ingham DB, Stanger PJ & Pourkashanian M (2015) Evaluation of the potential of retrofitting a coal power plant to oxy-firing using CFD and process co-simulation. Fuel Processing Technology, 131, 45-58. View this article in WRRO
- Edmunds R, Sithole H, Porter R, Cockerill T, Pourkashanian M, Ma L & Hughes KJ (2015) The Impact of the “Shale Gas Revolution” on the United Kingdom Electricity Generation Outlook. The International Journal of Environmental Sustainability, 11(4), 1-20.
- Alhazmi N, Ingham DB, Ismail MS, Hughes K, Ma L & Pourkashanian M (2014) The through-plane thermal conductivity and the contact resistance of the components of the membrane electrode assembly and gas diffusion layer in proton exchange membrane fuel cells. Journal of Power Sources, 270, 59-67.
- Darvell LI, Ma L, Jones JM, Pourkashanian M & Williams A (2014) Some aspects of modeling NOx formation arising from the combustion of 100% wood in a pulverized fuel furnace. Combustion Science and Technology, 186(4-5), 672-683.
- Ismail MS, Ingham DB, Hughes KJ, Ma L & Pourkashanian M (2013) Thermal modelling of the cathode in air-breathing PEM fuel cells. Applied Energy, 111, 529-537.
- Ismail MS, Ingham DB, Ma L & Pourkashanian M (2013) The contact resistance between gas diffusion layers and bipolar plates as they are assembled in proton exchange membrane fuel cells. Renewable Energy, 52, 40-45.
- Huang W, Wang Z-G, Ingham DB, Ma L & Pourkashanian M (2013) Design exploration for a single expansion ramp nozzle (SERN) using data mining. Acta Astronautica, 83, 10-17.
- Hassan G, Pourkashanian M, Ingham D, Ma L, Newman P & Odedra A (2013) Predictions of CO and NOx emissions from steam cracking furnaces using GRI2.11 detailed reaction mechanism - A CFD investigation. Computers and Chemical Engineering, 58, 68-83.
- Garba MU, Ingham DB, Ma L, Degereji MU, Pourkashanian M & Williams A (2013) Modelling of deposit formation and sintering for the co-combustion of coal with biomass. Fuel.
- Black S, Szuhánszki J, Pranzitelli A, Ma L, Stanger PJ, Ingham DB & Pourkashanian M (2013) Effects of firing coal and biomass under oxy-fuel conditions in a power plant boiler using CFD modelling. Fuel, 113, 780-786.
- Millward-Hopkins JT, Tomlin AS, Ma L, Ingham DB & Pourkashanian M (2012) Aerodynamic Parameters of a UK City Derived from Morphological Data. Boundary-Layer Meteorology, 1-22.
- Gubba SR, Ingham DB, Larsen KJ, Ma L, Pourkashanian M, Qian X, Williams A & Yan Y (2012) Investigations of the transportation characteristics of biomass fuel particles in a horizontal pipeline through CFD modelling and experimental measurement. Biomass and Bioenergy, 46, 492-510.
- Wang X, Liu Y, Tan H, Ma L & Xu T (2012) Mechanism Research on the Development of Ash Deposits on the Heating Surface of Biomass Furnaces. Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 51(39), 12984-12992.
- Ismail MS, Hughes KJ, Ingham DB, Ma L & Pourkashanian M (2012) Effects of anisotropic permeability and electrical conductivity of gas diffusion layers on the performance of proton exchange membrane fuel cells. Applied Energy, 95, 50-63.
- Williams A, Jones JM, Ma L & Pourkashanian M (2012) Pollutants from the combustion of solid biomass fuels. Progress in Energy and Combustion Science, 38(2), 113-137.
- Millward-Hopkins JT, Tomlin AS, Ma L, Ingham D & Pourkashanian M (2012) The predictability of above roof wind resource in the urban roughness sublayer. Wind Energy, 15(2), 225-243.
- Gubba SR, Ma L, Pourkashanian M & Williams A (2011) Influence of particle shape and internal thermal gradients of biomass particles on pulverised coal/biomass co-fired flames. FUEL PROCESS TECHNOL, 92(11), 2185-2195.
- Wang X, Tan H, Niu Y, Pourkashanian M, Ma L, Chen E, Liu Y, Liu Z & Xu T (2011) Experimental investigation on biomass co-firing in a 300MW pulverized coal-fired utility furnace in China. Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 33(2), 2725-2733.
- Rosli MI, Borman DJ, Ingham DB, Ismail MS, Ma L & Pourkashanian M (2010) Transparent PEM Fuel Cells for Direct Visualization Experiments. Journal of Fuel Cell Science and Technology, 7(6), 061015-061015.
- Ma L, Gharebaghi M, Porter R, Pourkashanian M, Jones JM & Williams A (2009) Modelling methods for co-fired pulverised fuel furnaces. FUEL, 88(12), 2448-2454.
- Carcadea E, Stefanescu I, Ionete RE, Ene H, Ingham DB & Ma L (2008) PEM fuel cell system geometry optimisation using mathematical modeling. International Journal of Multiphysics, 2(3), 313.
- Yang A (2008) Combustion of a single particle of biomass. Energy and Fuels, 22(1), 306-316.
- Ma L, Ingham DB, Pourkashanian M & Carcadea E (2005) Review of the Computational Fluid Dynamics modeling of fuel cells. Journal of Fuel Cell Science and Technology, 2, 246-257.
- Backreedy RI, Fletcher LM, Jones JM, Ma L, Pourkashanian M & Williams A (2005) Co-firing pulverised coal and biomass: a modeling approach. Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, 30(2), 2955-2964.
- Ma L, Ingham DB & Wen X (1998) Numerical predictions of the performance of small sampling cyclones. Journal of Aerosol Science, 29(SUPPL 1).
- Almohammadi KM, Ingham DB, Ma L & Pourkashanian M (2013) Effect of Transitional Turbulence Modelling on a Straight Blade Vertical Axis Wind Turbine, Alternative Energies (pp. 93-112). Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Ma L, Pourkashanian M & Ingham DB (2008) Advances in Fuel Cell/Turbine Hybrid Systems In Chen X (Ed.), Applied Physics in the 21st Century (pp. 109).
- Ingham DB & Ma L (2001) Cyclones in Industrial Ventilation In Goodfellow H & Tahti E (Ed.), Industrial Ventilation Guide Book (pp. 1200-1211). London: Academic Press.
- Ma L, Fan YC & Naijin C (1992) Research on similarity law to gas-solid two phase flow in turbomachinery, Engineering Mechanics (pp. 730-737). Beijing Science and Technology Book Press
Conference proceedings papers
- Mallick TK, Micheli L, Banerjee S, Shanks K, Lokeswaran S, Baig H, Calabria F, Sarmah N, Walker M, Theristis M, Reddy KS, Ghosh P, Walker G, Choudhury S, Pourkashanian M, O'Donovan T, Hamilton J, Poggio D, Giddings D, Hazara A, Balachandran S, Grant D, Nimmo W, Ma L, Mathew AK, Goswami R, Chakraborty A, Dinha D, Bandyopadhyay K, Almonacid F & Fernandez EF (2015) Status and perspective of concentrating photovoltaic systems: The results of the BioCPV project and opportunities for a sustainable energy supply to rural areas. ISES Solar World Congress 2015, Conference Proceedings (pp 488-499)
- Chalmers H, Al-Jeboori M, Anthony B, Balusamy S, Black S, Marincola FC, Clements A, Darabkhani H, Dennis J, Farrow T, Fennell P, Franchetti B, Gao L, Gibbins J, Hochgreb S, Hossain M, Jurado N, Kempf A, Liu H, Lu G, Ma L, Navarro-Martinez S, Nimmo W, Oakey J, Pranzitelli A, Scott S, Snape C, Sun C-G, Sun D, Szuhánszki J, Trabadela I, Wigley F, Yan Y & Pourkashanian M (2014) OxyCAP UK: Oxyfuel Combustion - academic Programme for the UK. Energy Procedia, Vol. 63 (pp 504-510)
- Millward-Hopkins JT, Tomlin AS, Ma L, Ingham DB & Pourkashanian M (2012) Mapping the Urban Wind Resource over UK cities using an analytical downscaling method. European Wind Energy Conference and Exhibition 2012, EWEC 2012, Vol. 2 (pp 1306-1315)
- Alhazmi N, Hughes K, Ingham D, Ismail M, Ma L & Pourkashanian M (2011) The effect of anisotropic GDL on the performance of PEM fuel cell. EFC 2011 - Proceedings of the 4th European Fuel Cell Piero Lunghi Conference and Exhibition (pp 407-408)
- Huang W, Wang Z-G, Luo S-B, Liu J, Xia Z-X, Lei J, Jin L, Wang Z-W, Pourkashanian M, Ma L & Ingham DB (2011) Overview of fuel injection techniques for scramjet engines. Proceedings of the ASME Turbo Expo, Vol. 2(PARTS A AND B) (pp 17-24)
- Vural Y, Ma L, Ingham DB, Pourkashanian M & Ismail M (2009) On the multicomponent mass transport in an anode-supported solid oxide fuel cell. EFC 2009 - Piero Lunghi Conference, Proceedings of the 3rd European Fuel Cell Technology and Applications Conference (pp 185-186)
- Carcadea E, Ingham DB, Ma L, Pourkashanian M, Ene H, Stefanescu I & Ionete RE (2008) A parametrical study of a seven serpentine channel PEM fuel cell. Proceedings of the ASME Turbo Expo, Vol. 2 (pp 763-770)
- Gharebaghi M, Goh B, Ma L, Pourkashanian M & Williamsa A (2008) Numerical investigation of oxy-coal combustion in pilot scale and the challenges. 25th Annual International Pittsburgh Coal Conference, PCC - Proceedings
- Pourkashanian M & Ma L (2005) Chemical kinetic modelling of the evolution of gaseous aerosol precursors within a gas turbine engine. Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power