Dr Alberto Marzo
Bioengineering 3rd Year Tutor
Course Director of Mechanical Engineering with Biomechanics
Bioengineering Theme Lead (Biomedical Engineering)
Department of Mechanical Engineering
Sir Frederick Mappin Building
Telephone: +44 (0)114 222 0155
Dr Marzo is a lecturer at the Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Sheffield.
Dr Marzo has a degree in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Cagliari, Italy, and a PhD from the University of Sheffield. In the early stages of his PhD he was awarded the David Crighton Fellowship, and spent one year of his doctoral studies at the Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics, the University of Cambridge. Here he investigated the theory behind flow-induced oscillations in elastic vessels.
In 2011-12 he worked as a Principal Research Scientist for the NHS to support technology development, dissemination, and adoption, for people with long-term disabilities.
Dr Marzo's research area stands at the interface between the physical and life sciences. It is firmly rooted in engineering and mathematics in the context of computational fluid mechanics, including state-of-the-art fluid-structure interaction, and cardiovascular biomechanics, but has a strong emphasis on clinical interpretation and translation of engineering technologies into clinical tools.
- MEC320/6320 Computational Fluid Dynamics
- MEC434 Biomechanics of the Cardiovascular System
- Numerical modelling of wall motion in cardiovascular applications
- Image-based computational vascular haemodynamics
- Minimally invasive image-based interventional planning and guidance
- Influence of haemodynamics on cardiovascular disease
- Influence of lifestyle on haemodynamics and cardiovascular disease
- Fluid structure interaction and flow-induced oscillations in elastic vessels
Current available PhDs
Current Research Grants
- 2013-17 VPH-DARE@IT (EU FP7 - ICT) - Large-scale Intergated Project (IP) on patient-specific predictive models for early diagnosis of dementias and their evolution (co-investigator, PI Prof Alejandro Frangi)
- 2014-15 NHS/EPSRC Urinary catheters: a more efficient and dignified solution for patients suffering from urinary incontinence (Principal Investigator)
- Mandaltsi A, Grytsan A, Odudu A, Kadziela J, Morris PD, Witkowski A, Ellam T, Kalra P & Marzo A (2018) Non-invasive stenotic renal artery haemodynamics by in silico Medicine. Frontiers in Physiology, 9(AUG).
- Marzo A, Melis A, Unger J, Sablotni R, Pistis M & McCarthy AD (2018) An engineering approach towards a more discrete and efficient urinary drainage system. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part H: Journal of Engineering in Medicine.
- Narata AP, De Moura FS, Larrabide I, Perrault CM, Patat F, Bibi R, Velasco S, Januel AC, Cognard C, Chapot R, Bouakaz A, Sennoga CA & Marzo A (2018) The Role of Hemodynamics in Intracranial Bifurcation Arteries after Aneurysm Treatment with Flow-Diverter Stents. American Journal of Neuroradiology, 39(2), 323-330. View this article in WRRO
- Melis A, Clayton RH & Marzo A (2017) Bayesian sensitivity analysis of a 1D vascular model with Gaussian process emulators. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Biomedical Engineering, 33(12). View this article in WRRO
- Di Marco LY, Venneri A, Farkas E, Evans PC, Marzo A & Frangi AF (2015) Vascular dysfunction in the pathogenesis of Alzheimer's disease — A review of endothelium-mediated mechanisms and ensuing vicious circles. Neurobiology of Disease, 82, 593-606. View this article in WRRO
- Sarrami-Foroushani A, Villa-Uriol M-C, Nasr Esfahany M, Coley SC, Di Marco LY, Frangi AF & Marzo A (2015) Modeling of the Acute Effects of Primary Hypertension and Hypotension on the Hemodynamics of Intracranial Aneurysms. Annals of Biomedical Engineering, 43(1), 207-221.
- Di Marco LY, Marzo A, Muñoz-Ruiz M, Ikram MA, Kivipelto M, Ruefenacht D, Venneri A, Soininen H, Wanke I, Ventikos YA & Frangi AF (2014) Modifiable lifestyle factors in dementia: a systematic review of longitudinal observational cohort studies.. J Alzheimers Dis, 42(1), 119-135.
- Mangera A, Marzo A, Heron N, Fernando D, Hameed K, Soliman A-HA, Bradley M, Hosking I, Abdel-Maguid M, Levermore M, Tindale WB & Chapple C (2014) Development of two electronic bladder diaries: a patient and healthcare professionals pilot study.. Neurourol Urodyn, 33(7), 1101-1109.
- Brown A, Shi W, Marzo A, Sticu C, Valverde I, Beerbaum P, Lawford P & Hose DR (2012) Accuracy vs. computational time: Translating aortic simulations to the clinic. Journal of Biomechanics, 45(3), 516-523.
- Brown AG, Shi Y, Marzo A, Staicu C, Valverde I, Beerbaum P, Lawford PV & Hose DR (2012) Accuracy vs. computational time: translating aortic simulations to the clinic.. J Biomech, 45(3), 516-523.
- Larrabide I, Villa-Uriol MC, Cardenes R, Pozo JM, Macho J, San Roman L, Blasco J, Vivas E, Marzo A, Hose DR & Frangi AF (2011) Three-dimensional morphological analysis of intracranial aneurysms: A fully automated method for aneurysm sac isolation and quantification. MED PHYS, 38(5), 2439-2449.
- Mulder G, Marzo A, Bogaerds CB, Coley SC, Rongen DR, Hose DR & van de Vosse FN (2011) Patient-Specific Modeling of Cerebral Blood Flow: Geometrical Variations in a 1D Model. Cardiovascular Engineering and Technology, 2(4), 334-348.
- Marzo A, Sweeney D & Murphy M (2011) Computer Modelling of Haemodynamics and Morphology in Patient-specific Intracranial Aneurysms. Computer Aided Medical Engineering, 1, 24-26.
- Villa-Uriol MC, Berti G, Marzo A, Hose DR, Chiarini A, Singh P, Penrose J, Schmidt JG, Pozo J & Frangi A (2011) @neurIST Complex Information Processing toolchain for the integrated management of cerebral aneurysm. Journal of the Royal Society Interface(1), 308-319.
- Marzo A, Singh P, Larrabide I, Radaelli A, Coley S, Gwilliam M, Wilkinson ID, Lawford P, Reymond P, Patel U, Frangi A & Hose DR (2011) Computational hemodynamics in cerebral aneurysms: the effects of modeled versus measured boundary conditions.. Ann Biomed Eng, 39(2), 884-896.
- Singh PK, Marzo A, Howard B, Rufenacht DA, Bijlenga P, Frangi AF, Lawford PV, Coley SC, Hose DR & Patel UJ (2010) Effects of smoking and hypertension on wall shear stress and oscillatory shear index at the site of intracranial aneurysm formation.. Clin Neurol Neurosurg, 112(4), 306-313.
- Singh PK, Marzo A, Tahir H, Weeratunge TF, Kumar K, Boutarbouch M, Hose R, Patel UJ & Coley SC (2010) Effects of heparin on the hemodynamic characteristics of intracranial aneurysms.. J Neuroradiol, 37(5), 300-301.
- Singh PK, Marzo A, Staicu C, William MG, Wilkinson I, Lawford PV, Rufenacht DA, Bijlenga P, Frangi AF, Hose R, Patel UJ & Coley SC (2010) The effects of aortic coarctation on cerebral hemodynamics and its importance in the etiopathogenesis of intracranial aneurysms.. J Vasc Interv Neurol, 3(1), 17-30.
- Singh PK, Marzo A, Staicu C, Gwilliam M, Wilkinson I, Lawford PV, Rufenacht DA, Bijlenga P, Frangi A, Hose DR, Patel UJ & Coley SC (2010) The effects of aortic coarctation on cerebral hemodynamics and its importance in the etiopathogenesis of intracranial aneurysms. Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology, 1(3), 17-30.
- Gwilliam MN, Hoggard N, Capener D, Singh P, Marzo A, Verma PK & Wilkinson ID (2009) MR derived volumetric flow rate waveforms at locations within the common carotid, internal carotid, and basilar arteries.. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab, 29(12), 1975-1982.
- Marzo A, Singh P, Reymond P, Stergiopulos N, Patel U & Hose R (2009) Influence of inlet boundary conditions on the local haemodynamics of intracranial aneurysms.. Comput Methods Biomech Biomed Engin, 12(4), 431-444.
- Singh PK, Marzo A, Coley SC, Berti G, Bijlenga P, Lawford PV, Villa-Uriol M-C, Rufenacht DA, McCormack KM, Frangi A, Patel UJ & Hose DR (2009) The role of computational fluid dynamics in the management of unruptured intracranial aneurysms: a clinicians' view.. Comput Intell Neurosci, 760364. View this article in WRRO
- Radaelli AG, Augsburger L, Cebral JR, Ohta M, Rüfenacht DA, Balossino R, Benndorf G, Hose DR, Marzo A, Metcalfe R, Mortier P, Mut F, Reymond P, Socci L, Verhegghe B & Frangi AF (2008) Reproducibility of haemodynamical simulations in a subject-specific stented aneurysm model--a report on the Virtual Intracranial Stenting Challenge 2007.. J Biomech, 41(10), 2069-2081.
Conference proceedings papers
- Narata AP, De Moura FS, Marzo A, Perrault C, Larrabide I, Bouakaz A & Sennoga C (2017) Ultrasound study of hemodynamic changes by flow diverting stents in idealised and patient-specific anatomies. IEEE International Ultrasonics Symposium, IUS
- Di Marco LY, Marzo A & Frangi A (2013) Multichannel foetal heartbeat detection by combining source cancellation with expectation-weighted estimation of fiducial points. Computing in Cardiology, Vol. 40 (pp 329-332)
- Mangera A, Marzo A, Heron N, Fernando D, Abdel-Maguid MM, Hameed K, Soliman A, Bradley M, Hosking I & Chapple C (2012) DEVELOPMENT AND ASSESSMENT OF TWO ELECTRONIC BLADDER DIARIES; A PILOT STUDY. NEUROUROLOGY AND URODYNAMICS, Vol. 31(6) (pp 770-771)
- Barber DC, Hartwell J, Naylor S, Marzo A & Hose DR (2009) Determination of Wall Strain in Model Cerebral Aneurysms by Image Registration. INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON ADVANCEMENTS OF MEDICINE AND HEALTH CARE THROUGH TECHNOLOGY, Vol. 26 (pp 283-286)
- Marzo A, Luo XY & Bertram CD (2005) Three-dimensional collapse and steady flow in thick-walled flexible tubes. JOURNAL OF FLUIDS AND STRUCTURES, Vol. 20(6) (pp 817-835)