Dr Patrick J Smith
Department of Mechanical Engineering
Kroto Research Institute
Telephone: +44(0)114 222 7738
Fax: +44(0)114 222 7890
email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr Patrick J Smith was awarded a first class BSc degree in Applied Chemistry from Manchester Metropolitan University in 1997, which he studied for part-time whilst working as Technical Officer for Ilford Ltd.
In 2002, he was awarded his PhD in Engineering from the University of Cambridge for his research into increasing the critical current density of bulk high-temperature superconductors.
He then had a number of post-doc positions working first with Brian Derby in Manchester (2002 – 2005), Ulrich Schubert in Eindhoven (2005 – 2007) and Jan Korvink (2007 – 2010).
In July 2010, he was appointed to the position of Lecturer in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Sheffield.
Areas of Research
Dr Smith's current research areas are additive manufacture, aerosol deposition, rapid prototyping, reactive inkjet printing, metal-organic decomposition inks and droplet behaviour on the substrate.
He is particularly interested in solution-based inks, particularly hybrid-containing inks and precursor inks for hybrids, and discovering cost-effective ways to make photovoltaic and electronic devices.
Research Projects (Funded)
As Principle Investigator:
- "Inkjet printed sensors", Pennine Water Group (£6000)
- "Security printing on copper cables", KTA R&D Collaborative Award (£33,625)
- "Reactive inkjet printing and controlled crystallisation", Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (£121,459)
- "Inkjet-assisted creation of self-healing layers between composite plies", European Office of Aerospace Research and Development ($50,000) PI: Prof. Alma Hodzic
Dr Smith teaches the following course:
- Manufacturing Technology, MEC130
- Korvink JG, Smith PJ & Shin DY (2012) Inkjet-based micromanufacturing.
- Li J, Wasley T, Ta D, Shephard J, Stringer J, Smith PJ, Esenturk E, Connaughton C, Harris R & Kay R (2018) Micro electronic systems via multifunctional additive manufacturing. Rapid Prototyping Journal. View this article in WRRO
- Rider PM, Brook IM, Smith PJ & Miller CA (2018) Reactive Inkjet Printing of Regenerated Silk Fibroin Films for Use as Dental Barrier Membranes. Micromachines, 9(2). View this article in WRRO
- Tse CCW & Smith PJ (2018) Inkjet printing for biomedical applications, 1771, 107-117.
- Bianco A, Burg SL, Parnell AJ, Fernyhough CM, Washington AL, Hill CJ, Smith PJ, Whittaker DM, Mykhaylyk OO & Fairclough JPA (2017) Control of the Porous Structure of Polystyrene Particles Obtained by Nonsolvent Induced Phase Separation. Langmuir, 33(46), 13303-13314. View this article in WRRO
- Zhang Y, Stringer J, Hodzic A & Smith PJ (2017) Toughening mechanism of carbon fibre-reinforced polymer laminates containing inkjet-printed poly(methyl methacrylate) microphases. Journal of Composite Materials. View this article in WRRO
- Hopkinson N, Ellis A, Smith P & Norazman F (2017) Smoother and stronger high speed sintered elastomers through surface modification process. International Journal of Rapid Manufacturing, 6(2/3), 155-155. View this article in WRRO
- Rider P, Zhang Y, Tse C, Zhang Y, Jayawardane D, Stringer J, Callaghan J, Brook IM, Miller CA, Zhao X & Smith PJ (2016) Biocompatible silk fibroin scaffold prepared by reactive inkjet printing. Journal of Materials Science, 51(18), 8625-8630. View this article in WRRO
- Stringer J, Althagathi TM, Tse CCW, Ta VD, Shephard JD, Esenturk E, Connaughton C, Wasley TJ, Li J, Kay RW & Smith PJ (2016) Integration of additive manufacturing and inkjet printed electronics: a potential route to parts with embedded multifunctionality. Manufacturing Review, 3, 12-12. View this article in WRRO
- Gregory DA, Zhang Y, Smith PJ, Zhao X & Ebbens SJ (2016) Reactive Inkjet Printing of Biocompatible Enzyme Powered Silk Micro-Rockets. Small, 12(30), 4048-4055. View this article in WRRO
- Rouholamin D, van Grunsven W, Reilly GC & Smith PJ (2016) Morphological effects of porous poly-D,L-lactic acid/hydroxyapatite scaffolds produced by supercritical CO2 foaming on their mechanical performance. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part H: Journal of Engineering in Medicine, 230(8), 761-774. View this article in WRRO
- Ta VD, Dunn A, Wasley TJ, Li J, Kay RW, Stringer J, Smith PJ, Esenturk E, Connaughton C & Shephard JD (2016) Laser textured surface gradients. Applied Surface Science, 371, 583-589. View this article in WRRO
- Ta VD, Carter RM, Esenturk E, Connaughton C, Wasley TJ, Li J, Kay RW, Stringer J, Smith PJ & Shephard JD (2016) Dynamically controlled deposition of colloidal nanoparticle suspension in evaporating drops using laser radiation. Soft Matter, 12(20), 4530-4536. View this article in WRRO
- Ta VD, Dunn A, Wasley TJ, Li J, Kay RW, Stringer J, Smith PJ, Esenturk E, Connaughton C & Shephard JD (2016) Laser textured superhydrophobic surfaces and their applications for homogeneous spot deposition. Applied Surface Science, 365, 153-159.
- Tse C, Whiteley R, Yu T, Stringer J, MacNeil S, Haycock JW & Smith PJ (2016) Inkjet printing Schwann cells and neuronal analogue NG108-15 cells. Biofabrication, 8(1), 015017-015017. View this article in WRRO
- Tse CCW, Ng SS, Stringer J, MacNeil S, Haycock JW & Smith PJ (2016) Utilising Inkjet Printed Paraffin Wax for Cell Patterning Applications. International Journal of Bioprinting, 2(0).
- Ta DV, Dunn A, Wasley TJ, Kay RW, Stringer J, Smith PJ, Connaughton C & Shephard JD (2015) Nanosecond laser textured superhydrophobic metallic surfaces and their chemical sensing applications. Applied Surface Science, 357, 248-254. View this article in WRRO
- Fleet EJ, Zhang Y, Hayes SA & Smith PJ (2015) Inkjet printing of self-healing polymers for enhanced composite interlaminar properties. J. Mater. Chem. A, 3(5), 2283-2293. View this article in WRRO
- Algarni SA, Althagafi TM, Smith PJ & Grell M (2014) An ionic liquid-gated polymer thin film transistor with exceptionally low “on” resistance. Applied Physics Letters, 104(18), 182107-182107. View this article in WRRO
- Rouholamin D, Smith PJ & Ghassemieh E (2013) Control of morphological properties of porous biodegradable scaffolds processed by supercritical CO2 foaming. Journal of Materials Science, 48(8), 3254-3263.
- Zhang Y, Stringer J, Smith PJ, Grainger R & Hodzic A (2013) Improvements in carbon fibre reinforced composites by inkjet printing of thermoplastic polymer patterns. Physica Status Solidi - Rapid Research Letters.
- Beard JD, Stringer J, Ghita OR & Smith PJ (2013) High yield growth of patterned vertically aligned carbon nanotubes using inkjet-printed catalyst. ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, 5(19), 9785-9790.
- Smith PJ & Morrin A (2012) Reactive inkjet printing. Journal of Materials Chemistry, 22(22), 10965-10970.
- Löffelmann U, Wang N, Mager D, Smith PJ & Korvink JG (2012) Solvent-free inkjet printing process for the fabrication of conductive, transparent, and flexible ionic liquid-polymer gel structures. Journal of Polymer Science, Part B: Polymer Physics, 50(1), 38-46.
- Loffelmann U, Korvink JG, Hendriks CE, Schubert US & Smith PJ (2011) Ink Jet Printed Silver Lines Formed in Microchannels Exhibit Lower Resistance Than Their Unstructured Counterparts. J IMAGING SCI TECHN, 55(4).
- Bouendeu E, Greiner A, Smith PJ & Korvink JG (2011) A low-cost electromagnetic generator for vibration energy harvesting. IEEE Sensors Journal, 11(1), 107-113.
- Mager D, Peter A, Tin LD, Fischer E, Smith PJ, Hennig J & Korvink JG (2010) An MRI receiver coil produced by inkjet printing directly on to a flexible substrate.. IEEE Trans Med Imaging, 29(2), 482-487.
- Mager D, Smith PJ & Korvink JG (2010) On-line monitoring and feedback control of inkjet printed capacitors using the modular custom made printing platform MicroStack3D. International Conference on Digital Printing Technologies, 726-729.
- Perelaer J, Smith PJ, Mager D, Soltman D, Volkman SK, Subramanian V, Korvink JG & Schubert US (2010) Printed electronics: the challenges involved in printing devices, interconnects, and contacts based on inorganic materials. J MATER CHEM, 20(39), 8446-8453.
- Madec MB, Smith PJ, Malandraki A, Wang N, Korvink JG & Yeates SG (2010) Enhanced reproducibility of inkjet printed organic thin film transistors based on solution processable polymer-small molecule blends. J MATER CHEM, 20(41), 9155-9160.
- Valeton JJP, Hermans K, Bastiaansen CWM, Broer DJ, Perelaer J, Schubert US, Crawford GP & Smith PJ (2010) Room temperature preparation of conductive silver features using spin-coating and inkjet printing. Journal of Materials Chemistry, 20(3), 543-546.
- Delaney JT, Smith PJ & Schubert US (2009) Inkjet printing of proteins. Soft Matter, 5(24), 4866-4877.
- Walther M, Ortner A, Meier H, Löffelmann U, Smith PJ & Korvink JG (2009) Terahertz metamaterials fabricated by inkjet printing. Applied Physics Letters, 95(25).
- Meier H, Löffelmann U, Mager D, Smith PJ & Korvink JG (2009) Inkjetprinted, conductive, 25 uμm wide silver tracks on unstructured polyimide. Physica Status Solidi (A) Applications and Materials Science, 206(7), 1626-1630.
- Perelaer J, Smith PJ, Van Den Bosch E, Van Grootel SSC, Ketelaars PHJM & Schubert US (2009) The Spreading of Inkjet-Printed Droplets with Varying Polymer Molar Mass on a Dry Solid Substrate. Macromolecular Chemistry and Physics, 210(6), 495-502.
- Perelaer J, Smith PJ, Wijnen MMP, Van Den Bosch E, Eckardt R, Ketelaars PHJM & Schubert US (2009) Droplet tailoring using evaporative inkjet printing. Macromolecular Chemistry and Physics, 210(5), 387-393.
- Perelaer J, Smith PJ, Hendriks CE, Van Den Berg AMJ & Schubert US (2008) The preferential deposition of silica micro-particles at the boundary of inkjet printed droplets. Soft Matter, 4(5), 1072-1078.
- Tekin E, Smith PJ & Schubert US (2008) Inkjet printing as a deposition and patterning tool for polymers and inorganic particles. Soft Matter, 4(4), 703-713.
- Hendriks CE, Smith PJ, Perelaer J, Van Den Berg AMJ & Schubert US (2008) "Invisible" silver tracks produced by combining hot-embossing and inkjet printing. Advanced Functional Materials, 18(7), 1031-1038.
- Shin DY & Smith PJ (2008) Theoretical investigation of the influence of nozzle diameter variation on the fabrication of thin film transistor liquid crystal display color filters. Journal of Applied Physics, 103(11).
- Mager D, Löffelmann U, Smith PJ, Peter A, Del Tin L & Korvink JG (2008) Inkjet printing of structures for MRI coils. International Conference on Digital Printing Technologies, 891-894.
- Tekin E, Smith PJ, Hoeppener S, van den Berg AMJ, Susha AS, Rogach AL, Feldmann J & Schubert US (2007) Inkjet printing of luminescent CdTe nanocrystal-polymer composites. ADVANCED FUNCTIONAL MATERIALS, 17(1), 23-28.
- van den Berg AMJ, de Laat AWM, Smith PJ, Perelaer J & Schubert US (2007) Geometric control of inkjet printed features using a gelating polymer. JOURNAL OF MATERIALS CHEMISTRY, 17(7), 677-683.
- van den Berg AMJ, Smith PJ, Perelaer J, Schrof W, Koltzenburg S & Schubert US (2007) Inkjet printing of polyurethane colloidal suspensions. Soft Matter, 3(2), 238-243.
- Smith PJ, Shin DY, Stringer JE, Derby B & Reis N (2006) Direct ink-jet printing and low temperature conversion of conductive silver patterns. Journal of Materials Science, 41(13), 4153-4158.
- Dearden AL, Smith PJ, Shin DY, Reis N, Derby B & O'Brien P (2005) A low curing temperature silver ink for use in ink-jet printing and subsequent production of conductive tracks. Macromolecular Rapid Communications, 26(4), 315-318.
- Smith PJ & Stringer J () Patterning. Inkjet-Based Micromanufacturing, 87-96.
- Zhang Y, Tse C, Rouholamin D & Smith PJ () Scaffolds for tissue engineering produced by inkjet printing. Central European Journal of Engineering, 2(3), 325-335.
Conference proceedings papers
- Gregory DA, Zhang Y, Smith PJ, Ebbens SJ & Zhao X (2016) Altering the Bubble Release of Reactive Inkjet Printed Silk Micro-rockets. International Conference on Digital Printing Technologies, Vol. 2016 (pp 452-456), 12 September 2016 - 12 September 2016. View this article in WRRO
- Zhang Y, Gregory DA, Smith PJ & Zhao X (2016) Regenerated silk fibroin as an inkjet printable biomaterial. International Conference on Digital Printing Technologies, Vol. 2016 (pp 406-409), 12 September 2016 - 16 September 2016. View this article in WRRO
- Tse C & Smith PJ (2016) Reactive inkjet printing applications for tissue engineering. International Conference on Digital Printing Technologies (pp 442-445)
- Smith PJ & Zhang Y (2016) Multi-functional carbon fibre reinforced composites obtained using inkjet printed polymers. International Conference on Digital Printing Technologies (pp 482-485)
- Edney L, Smith PJ & Hatton PV (2016) The use of inkjet printing and thermal phase change inks to create sacrificial prevascular networks. International Conference on Digital Printing Technologies (pp 419-423)
- Cartledge A, Pinna C, Hodzic A & Smith PJ (2015) The fatigue of carbon fibre composites containing interlaminar inkjet printed polymer droplets. 20th International Conference on Composite Materials, 19 July 2015 - 24 July 2015.
- Zhang Y, Stringer J, Grainger R, Smith PJ & Hodzic A (2015) Fabrication of patterned thermoplastic microphases between composite plies by inkjet printing. Journal of Composite Materials, Vol. 49(15) (pp 1907-1913) View this article in WRRO
- Zhang Y, Stringer J, Smith PJ, Hodzic A & Grainger R (2014) Toughening composites with self-ameliorating capability using inkjet printing technique. 16th European Conference on Composite Materials, ECCM 2014
- Mager D, Raimann M, Smith PJ & Korvink JG (2009) MicroStack3D: A low cost production platform for micromanufacturing by inkjet printing. AIP Conference Proceedings, Vol. 1181 (pp 317-323)
- Smith PJ, Mager D, Löffelmann U & Korvink JG (2008) Inkjet printing silver-containing inks. International Conference on Digital Printing Technologies (pp 689-692)
- Mager D, Smith PJ & Korvink JG (2007) Phase change rapid prototyping with aqueous inks. NIP 23: 23RD INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON DIGITAL PRINTING TECHNOLOGIES, TECHNICAL PROGRAM AND PROCEEDINGS/DIGITAL FABRICATION 2007 (pp 908-911)
- Stringer JE, Smith PJ & Derby B (2004) Droplet behaviour in inkjet printing. Materials Research Society Symposium Proceedings, Vol. 860 (pp 1-6)
- Schubert US, Dijksman F, Cibis D, Currle U, Meyer W, Anderson P, Wehl W, De Gans BJ, Smith PJ, Jabbour G, Voncken E, Tekin E, Bietsch A, Walder L & Hudd A (2005) Inkjet printing of functional polymers and materials: 2ndinternational workshop in Eindhoven
- Gregory DA, Zhang Y, Smith PJ, Zhao X & Ebbens SJ (2016) Reactive Inkjet Printing: Reactive Inkjet Printing of Biocompatible Enzyme Powered Silk Micro-Rockets (Small 30/2016). Small, 12(30), 4022-4022.