Dr Tom Slatter
MEng, PhD, AIMechE
Department of Mechanical Engineering
Sir Frederick Mappin Building
Telephone: +44(0)114 2227772
email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr Tom Slatter graduated from the University of Sheffield in 2004 with an MEng in Mechanical Engineering and in 2010 with a PhD in Mechanical Engineering. During this time he worked for the Ford Motor Company in powertrain CAE and diesel engine engineering. His PhD was sponsored by the Ford Advanced Research and Materials Group in Aachen, Germany and concerned the wear of automotive valvetrain components. In 2007, Tom became a University Teaching Associate and then in 2011 was appointed Lecturer in Mechanical Engineering. Tom is a member of the Leonardo Tribology Centre and is a Deputy Centre Director of the EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Integrated Tribology (iT-CDT).
Areas of Research
Dr Slatter's research interests have expanded into manufacturing with projects investigating the design, performance and instrumentation of manufacturing machines, processes and tooling with organisations such as Sandvik Coromant, Primetals, Bremont, Rolls-Royce, BEP Surface Technologies, Hill Pumps, and the University’s Advanced Manufacturing Research Centre (AMRC) and Nuclear Advanced Manufacturing Research Centre.
Tom also continues to be involved in automotive research; continuing work on valvetrain wear with a number of automotive OEMs, investigating the influence of novel combustion processes on valvetrain design and assessing the performance of bio-lubricants. Work in these automotive related areas has included projects with companies such as Jaguar Land Rover, Caterpillar, JCB Power Systems, MWH, Hoganas, Nanovit, and McLaren.
Outside of these applied areas, Tom works at a more fundamental level investigating topics including impact wear and the cryogenic treatment of metals.
Liam Chisman - 'Valvetrain design for novel combustion'.
Nikki Hilton - 'Performance and control of deep-hole drilling'.
Adli Bahari - 'Optimisation of bio-lubricant blends'.
Julius Abere - 'Characterisation of bio-lubricants with nano-additive packages'.
Mike Hayward - ‘Development of oil-film bearing for dynamic shape rolling of metals’.
Julia Carrell – ‘Performance of bio-lubricants in automotive contacts’.
Lisa Alhadeff – ‘Micromachining of novel alloys for watchmaking’.
Paulo Herrera – ‘Cryogenic treatment of metals’.
Ellis Taylor – ‘Cryogenic machining processes’.
Jon Walsh – ‘Online monitoring of machining processes’.
Teaching & Professional Activities
Tom's teaching activities are in the area of manufacturing and design. He is the Deputy Director of Learning & Teaching for Mechanical Engineering and in 2012 he was awarded a University Senate Award for Excellence in Learning and Teaching. Tom is also the Deputy Centre Director (Learning & Teaching) for the EPSRC iT-CDT and is the Faculty Advisor for the University's Formula Student team, 'Sheffield Formula Racing'.
Tom is a member of the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE), the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME), the Society for Tribology and Lubrication Engineering (STLE), and is an Associate Member of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE). He serves on the committee of the Yorkshire Centre of the IMechE Automobile Division and is a member of the University of Sheffield Alumni Board.
1. Douglas Bomford Trust - Biodegradable Lubricants for use in Internal Combustion Engines, November 2014 (£3,100)
2. innovateUK/BEP Surface Finishing, KTP - High-precision grinding, February 2014 (£129,450)
3. EPSRC, Centre for Doctoral Training in Integrated Tribology (iCDT), November 2013 (£7,335,911) (co-investigator)
4. Siemens PLC/EPSRC, Development of the Oil-Film Bearing for a Wide Dynamic Shape Roll (DSR), September 2013 (£103,648)
5. innovateUK/Hill Pumps, KTP – Hill Pumps, August 2013 (£130,392)
6. Royal Society, Assessment of the oxidative stability of biolubricants to establish their suitability for use in automotive engines, May 2013 (£15,000)
- Taylor E & Slatter T (2017) Role of temperature parameters in achieving precision traverse cylindrical grinding of chrome-plated ferrous metal rolls. Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering. View this article in WRRO
- Seemuang N & Slatter T (2017) Using Barkhausen noise to measure coating depth of coated high-speed steel. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 92(1-4), 247-258. View this article in WRRO
- Lewis R, Magel E, Wang W-J, Olofsson U, Lewis SR, Slatter T & Beagles A (2017) Towards a standard approach for the wear testing of wheel and rail materials. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part F: Journal of Rail and Rapid Transit, 231(7), 760-774. View this article in WRRO
- Bahari A, Lewis R & Slatter T (2017) Friction and wear response of vegetable oils and their blends with mineral engine oil in a reciprocating sliding contact at severe contact conditions. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part J-Journal of Engineering Tribology. View this article in WRRO
- Carrell J, Slatter T, Little U & Lewis R (2017) Combining DLC, Shot blasting, chemical dip and nano fullerene surface treatments to reduce wear and friction when used with bio-lubricants in automotive contacts. SAE Technical Papers. View this article in WRRO
- Vera-Cardenas EE, Lewis R & Slatter T (2017) Sensitivity Study of a Valve Recession Model. Open Journal of Applied Sciences, 7(2), 50-56. View this article in WRRO
- Vera-Cardenas EE, Lewis R & Slatter T (2017) Sliding Wear Study on the Valve-Seat Insert Contact. Open Journal of Applied Sciences, 7(2), 42-49. View this article in WRRO
- Bahari A, Lewis R & Slatter T (2017) Friction and Wear Phenomena of Vegetable Oil–Based Lubricants with Additives at Severe Sliding Wear Conditions. Tribology Transactions. View this article in WRRO
- Bahari A, Lewis R & Slatter T (2016) Hardness characterisation of grey cast iron and its tribological performance in a contact lubricated with soybean oil. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part C: Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science. View this article in WRRO
- Bruce T, Long H, Slatter T & Dwyer-Joyce RS (2016) Formation of white etching cracks at manganese sulfide (MnS) inclusions in bearing steel due to hammering impact loading. Wind Energy, 19(10), 1903-1915. View this article in WRRO
- Seemuang N, Mcleay T & Slatter T (2016) Using spindle noise to monitor tool wear in a turning process. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 86(9-12), 2871-2790. View this article in WRRO
- Thornton R, Slatter T & Lewis R (2014) Effects of deep cryogenic treatment on the wear development of H13A tungsten carbide inserts when machining AISI 1045 steel. Production Engineering, 8(3), 355-364.
- Thornton R, Slatter T & Ghadbeigi H (2013) Effects of deep cryogenic treatment on the dry sliding wear performance of ferrous alloys. Wear, 305(1-2), 177-191.
- Slatter T, Lewis R & Jones AH (2011) The influence of cryogenic processing on wear on the impact wear resistance of low carbon steel and lamellar graphite cast iron. Wear, 271(9-10), 1481-1489.
- Thornton R, Slatter T, Jones AH & Lewis R (2011) The effects of cryogenic processing on the wear resistance of grey cast iron brake discs. Wear, 271(9-10), 2386-2395.
- Slatter T, Lewis R & Broda M (2011) The Influence of Induction Hardening on the Impact Wear Resistance of Compacted Graphite Iron, 124-129.
- Slatter T, Lewis R & Jones AH (2011) The influence of induction hardening on the impact wear resistance of compacted graphite iron (CGI). Wear, 270(3-4), 302-311.
- Lewis R, Tsoraki C, Broughton J, Cripps JC, Afodun SA, Slatter T & Roubos V (2011) Abrasive and impact wear of stone used to manufacture axes in Neolithic Greece. Wear, 271(9-10), 2549-2560. View this article in WRRO
- Slatter T, Lewis R & Taylor H (2009) Laser treatment for improved impact wear resistance. The Laser User Magazine(56), 30-31.
- Slatter T, Taylor H, Lewis R & King P (2009) The influence of laser hardening on wear in the valve and valve seat contact. Wear, 267(5-8), 797-806. View this article in WRRO
- Slatter T, Lewis R & Dwyer-Joyce RS (2006) Valve recession modelling. SAE Technical Papers.
- Lewis R, Dwyer-Joyce R, Slatter T & Brooks A (2004) Valve recession: From experiment to predictive model. VDI Berichte(1813), 79-93. View this article in WRRO
- Carrell J, Lewis R & Slatter T () The Interaction of Bio-lubricants with Elastomers, Tested Through Hanson Solubility Parameter and Stress Relaxation Tests. Tribologia: Finnish Journal of Tribology.
- Slatter T & Thornton R (2016) Cryogenic Treatment of Engineering Materials In Hashmi S (Ed.), Reference Module in Materials Science and Materials Engineering (pp. 421-454). Elsevier
- Lewis R & Slatter T (2012) Design for Reduced Wear In Tung SC & Totten GE (Ed.), Automotive Lubricants and Testing (pp. 293-315). Eagan, MN, USA: ASTM International.
Conference proceedings papers
- Carrell J, Lewis R & Slatter T (2016) The Interaction of Bio-lubricants with Elastomers, Tested Through Hanson Solubility Parameter and Stress Relaxation Tests.. Proceedings of 17th Nordic Symposium on Tribology - NORDTRIB 2016
- Seemuang N, Mcleay T & Slatter T (2015) The Relationship between Spindle Sound and Tool Performance in Turning. International Journal of Materials and Metallurgical Engineering, Vol. 2(8)
- Slatter T, Lewis R & Broda M (2011) The Influence of Induction Hardening on the Impact Wear Resistance of Compacted Graphite Iron (pp 124-124)
- Slatter T & Lewis R (2006) Valve Recession - Investigating the Importance of Impact Wear. Tribology 2006: Surface Engineering and Tribology for Future Engines and Drivelines. London, UK, 12 July 2006 - 13 July 2006.
- Slatter T & Lewis R (2005) Valve Recession: From Experiment to Predictive Model. Experimental And Numerical Methods For Powertrain Development. Institution of Mechanical Engineers, London, UK, 28 September 2005 - 29 September 2005.
- Hilton N, Slatter T & Goodfellow M (2015) Development of deep hole drilling technologies for extreme length-to diameter ratio holes. University of Sheffield Engineering Symposium.
- Carrell J & Slatter T (2014) Bio lubricants in Automotive Applications. SAE Powertrains, Fuels & Lubricants Meeting, Birmingham, UK.
- Seemuang N & Slatter T (2013) Evaluation of Case-depth Layer in Coated Cutting Tool by Using Barkhausen Noise and Electromagnetic Acoustic Emission Techniques. 2nd Annual EPSRC Manufacturing the Future Conference.
- Thornton R, Slatter T & Lewis R (2013) The effects of cryogenic treatment on the sliding wear performance and microstructure of ferrous alloys. 19th International Conference on Wear of Materials.
- HIlton N, Slatter T, Dawson S & Lobato H (2012) Development of Deep Hole Drilling Technology for Extreme L/D Ratio Holes with R&D into Tool Tip Tracking and Steering Technology. EPSRC Manufacturing the Future Conference 2012.
Theses / Dissertations
- Slatter T (2010) Reducing Automotive Valve Recession Using Surface Treatment.