Academic Unit of Medical Education
Senior Lecturer in Medical Education
Full contact details
Academic Unit of Medical Education
The Medical School
Beech Hill Road
I qualified from the University of Sheffield in 1997. Following basic surgical training in Sheffield I performed research in the field of prostate cancer metastasis towards an MD thesis at the University of Sheffield.
I undertook urological training within the Yorkshire and Humber deanery and was appointed as a consultant urologist in 2013. I am currently undertaking a Masters in Education at the University of Sheffield.
In 2016 I commenced work within the Academic Unit of Medical Education as a senior clinical lecturer and also work as a consultant urologist at Chesterfield Royal Hospital.
- Complications of prostate cancer treatment. The Lancet Oncology, 15(4), e150-e151.
- European Association of Urology (@Uroweb) Recommendations on the Appropriate Use of Social Media. European Urology, 66(4), 628-632.
- Prostate cancer. Surgery (Oxford), 31(10), 516-522.
- Obstruction of the upper and lower urinary tract. Surgery (Oxford), 31(7), 346-353.
- Upper tract urothelial carcinoma. Journal of Clinical Urology, 6(5), 272-279.
- Disease Specific Mortality in Patients with Low Risk Bladder Cancer and the Impact of Cystoscopic Surveillance. Journal of Urology, 189(3), 828-833.
- Conservative management of pelvi-ureteric junction obstruction (PUJO): is it appropriate and if so what duration of follow-up is needed?. BJU International, 110(3), 446-448.
- What is the evidence for the management of urethral amyloidosis? A systematic review of the literature. BJU International, 109(12), 1858-1861.
- Whole-body Magnetic Resonance Imaging and Prostate Cancer Metastases: A New Gold Standard of Detection, But Does It Help Us and At What Cost?. European Urology, 62(1), 76-77.
- 1043 Routine cystoscopic surveillance is ineffective in preventing death due to bladder cancer in patients with low risk disease. European Urology Supplements, 11(1), e1043-e1043a.
- Routine cystoscopic surveillance is ineffective in preventing death due to bladder cancer in patients with low risk disease. EUROPEAN UROLOGY SUPPLEMENTS, 11(1), E1043-EU179.
- Re: Comorbidity and Mortality Results from a Randomised Prostate Cancer Screening Trial. European Urology, 60(4), 867-867.
- Gastrointestinal Toxicity Following Radiotherapy for Prostate Cancer: A Ring of Fire. European Urology, 60(5), 917-919.
- Gastrointestinal Toxicity Following Radiotherapy for Prostate Cancer: A Ring of Fire. European Urology.
- Letter to the Editor on ‘Sildenafil in spinal cord injury’ by Khorrami et al. (2009). International Journal of Andrology, 33(6), 865-865.
- Obstruction of the upper and lower urinary tract. Surgery (Oxford), 28(7), 331-337.
- Recent advances in the treatment of premature ejaculation. Drug Design, Development and Therapy, 1-1. View this article in WRRO
- Imaging the effects of castration on bone turnover and hormone-independent prostate cancer colonization of bone. The Prostate, 68(15), 1707-1714.
- α2β 1HI/CD133+ PROSTATE CANCER STEM CELLS FROM HUMAN TUMOURS ARE HIGHLY TUMORIGENIC IN VIVO. European Urology Supplements, 5(14), 790-790.
- Early diagnosis and surgical management of prostate cancer. Cancer Treatment Reviews, 29(3), 151-160.
- Twelve tips for facilitating medical students prescribing learning on clinical placement. Medical Teacher, 1-6.
- Bone-Directed Therapy in Prostate Cancer: Rationale and Novel Approaches, Prostate Cancer: Translational and Emerging Therapies (pp. 223-236). Informa Healthcare
Conference proceedings papers
- CONSERVATIVE MANAGEMENT OF PELVI-URETERIC JUNCTION OBSTRUCTION (PUJO): IS IT APPROPRIATE AND IF SO HOW LONG IS FOLLOW-UP NEEDED?. JOURNAL OF ENDOUROLOGY, Vol. 25 (pp A54-A54)
- Conservative management of pelvi-ureteric junction obstruction (PUJO): is it appropriate and if so how long is follow-up needed?. BJU INTERNATIONAL, Vol. 108 (pp 48-48)
- Teaching activities
In foundation clinical skills I teach on how to examine the GI/GU system as well as on how to take a medication history/prescribing.
In Phase 3b and Phase 4 I teach on prescribing, drug errors and prescribing safety assessment preparation.
I am keen to incorporate prescribing learning into all clinical encounters for student doctors.
- Professional activities
I currently oversee the pharmacology and prescribing strand which spans the whole MBChB course and I am clinical lead for the Prescribing Safety Assessment (PSA).