Dr Jennifer Walsh
MBChB, PhD, FRCP, FHEA
Department of Oncology and Metabolism
Senior Clinical Lecturer
+44 114 215 9694
Full contact details
Department of Oncology and Metabolism
Metabolic Bone Centre, Sorby Wing
Northern General Hospital
I trained in Endocrinology in Sheffield, and completed my PhD on Determinants of Peak Bone Mass and Bone Size in 2008, funded by an Arthritis Research UK clinical fellowship. I was appointed as a Senior Clinical Lecturer in 2014.
My clinical interests are in young adult bone disease and endocrinology. I am director of Student Affairs for the Sheffield MBChB.
- Research interests
My research interests are in bone microarchitecture in skeletal maturation and ageing, the interactions of fat and bone, and treatment of osteoporosis and other metabolic bone diseases. I am currently leading clinical studies of vitamin D physiology and a clinical trial of selenium for osteoporosis, and I am a co-investigator in the TOPaZ trial in osteogenesis inperfecta.
- Physiology of high dose vitamin D dosing
- The effects of gender and age on bone microarchitecture
- The effects of obesity on bone and muscle
- Bone loss in prostate cancer treatment
- Selenium treatment for osteoporosis
- TOPaZ trial in osteogenesis imperfecta
- The prevalence and natural history of normocalcaemic hypoparathyroidism in a United Kingdom referral population. Clinical Endocrinology. View this article in WRRO
- Normocalcemic hyperparathyroidism : study of its prevalence and natural history. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, 105(4). View this article in WRRO
- Quantitative computed tomography discriminates between postmenopausal women with low spine bone mineral density with vertebral fractures and those with low spine bone mineral density only: the SHATTER study. Osteoporosis International, 31(4), 667-675.
- Testosterone replacement in young male cancer survivors : a 6-month double-blind randomised placebo-controlled trial. PLOS Medicine, 16(11). View this article in WRRO
- Characterising variability and regional correlations of microstructure and mechanical competence of human tibial trabecular bone: An in-vivo HR-pQCT study.. BONE, 121, 139-148. View this article in WRRO
- Clinical utility of bone turnover markers in monitoring the withdrawal of treatment with oral bisphosphonates in postmenopausal osteoporosis. Osteoporosis International. View this article in WRRO
- Discordant pattern of peripheral fractures in diabetes: a meta-analysis on the risk of wrist and ankle fractures. Osteoporosis International, 30(1), 135-143.
- Determination of Free 25(OH)D Concentrations and Their Relationships to Total 25(OH)D in Multiple Clinical Populations.. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, 103(9), 3278-3288.
- Effect of vitamin D supplementation on free and total vitamin D: a comparison of Asians vs Caucasians.. Clinical Endocrinology. View this article in WRRO
- Effects of discontinuing oral bisphosphonate treatments for postmenopausal osteoporosis on bone turnover markers and bone density. Osteoporosis International, 29(6), 1407-1417. View this article in WRRO
- Microarchitecture of bone predicts fractures in older women. Nature Reviews Endocrinology, 14(5), 255-256. View this article in WRRO
- Teriparatide treatment exerts differential effects on the central and peripheral skeleton: results from the MOAT study. Osteoporosis International, 29(6), 1367-1378. View this article in WRRO
- The effect of teriparatide treatment on circulating periostin and its relationship to regulators of bone formation and BMD in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis.. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. View this article in WRRO
- DIAGNOSIS OF ENDOCRINE DISEASE: Bone turnover markers: are they clinically useful?. European Journal of Endocrinology, 178(1), R19-R31. View this article in WRRO
- Vitamin D in obesity. Current Opinion in Endocrinology & Diabetes and Obesity, 24, 389-394. View this article in WRRO
- Anabolic treatment for osteoporosis: teriparatide. Clinical Cases in Mineral and Bone Metabolism, 14(2), 173-178. View this article in WRRO
- Effect of age and gender on serum periostin: Relationship to cortical measures, bone turnover and hormones. Bone, 99, 8-13. View this article in WRRO
- Obesity, Type 2 Diabetes and Bone in Adults.. Calcif Tissue Int. View this article in WRRO
- Normal bone physiology, remodelling and its hormonal regulation. Surgery (United Kingdom), 36(1), 1-6. View this article in WRRO
- SOCIETY FOR ENDOCRINOLOGY ENDOCRINE EMERGENCY GUIDANCE: Emergency management of acute hypercalcaemia in adult patients. Endocrine Connections, 5(5), G9-G11. View this article in WRRO
- Serum and plasma 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid as an alternative to 24-h urine 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid measurement. Annals of Clinical Biochemistry, 53(5), 554-560.
- The effect of bisphosphonate treatment on osteoclast precursor cells in postmenopausal osteoporosis: The TRIO study. Bone, 92, 94-99. View this article in WRRO
- Free 25-hydroxyvitamin D is low in obesity, but there are no adverse associations with bone health. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 103(6), 1465-1471. View this article in WRRO
- Response of bone turnover markers to three oral bisphosphonate therapies in postmenopausal osteoporosis: the TRIO study. Osteoporosis International, 27(1), 21-31. View this article in WRRO
- Bone turnover markers: response to comments by Seeman and Nguyen. Osteoporosis International, 27(1), 37-37. View this article in WRRO
- Evaluation of adipocytokines and traditional cardiometabolic risk factors in young male cancer survivors: an age-matched control study. Clinical Endocrinology, 84(2), 296-304.
- Testosterone replacement in young male cancer survivors (TRYMS) - pragmatic adaptation of trial design for a trial struggling with recruitment. Trials, 16(S2). View this article in WRRO
- Bone Density, Microstructure and Strength in Obese and Normal Weight Men and Women in Younger and Older Adulthood. Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, 30(5), 920-928. View this article in WRRO
- Leptin May Play a Role in Bone Microstructural Alterations in Obese Children. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, 100(2), 594-602. View this article in WRRO
- TRYMS: the ethical and practical considerations of a double-blind placebo controlled randomised clinical trial. Trials, 16(S2). View this article in WRRO
- Normal bone physiology, remodelling and its hormonal regulation. Surgery (Oxford), 33(1), 1-6.
- Comparison of the effects of three oral bisphosphonate therapies on the peripheral skeleton in postmenopausal osteoporosis: the TRIO study. Osteoporosis International, 25(12), 2729-2741.
- Osteogenesis imperfecta in adults. Journal of Clinical Investigation, 124(2), 476-477.
- Precision of high-resolution peripheral quantitative computed tomography measurement variables: influence of gender, examination site, and age.. Calcif Tissue Int, 94(2), 191-201.
- Osteoporosis in men.. Nat Rev Endocrinol, 9(11), 637-645.
- Is it time to combine osteoporosis therapies?. Lancet, 382(9886), 5-7.
- Circulating serotonin and bone density, structure, and turnover in carcinoid syndrome.. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 98(7), 2902-2907.
- Role of estrogen in the age-related decline in bone microstructure.. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 98(2), 519-521.
- Cortical consolidation of the radius and tibia in young men and women.. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 97(9), 3342-3348.
- Heart drugs that affect bone.. Trends Endocrinol Metab, 23(4), 163-168.
- Obesity is a risk factor for fracture in children but is protective against fracture in adults: a paradox.. Bone, 50(2), 457-466.
- Very low birth weight survivors have reduced peak bone mass and reduced insulin sensitivity. Clinical Endocrinology, 75(4), 443-449.
- Bisphosphonates for postmenopausal osteoporosis.. Bone, 49(1), 82-88.
- Feeding and bone.. Arch Biochem Biophys, 503(1), 11-19.
- Increased fat mass may be protective of bone mass in young male cancer survivors. Bone, 47, S189-S190.
- Hormonal determinants of bone turnover before and after attainment of peak bone mass.. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf), 72(3), 320-327.
- Depot medroxyprogesterone acetate use after peak bone mass is associated with increased bone turnover but no decrease in bone mineral density.. Fertil Steril, 93(3), 697-701.
- BONE Causes of low bone mass in breast cancer-time for action?. NAT REV ENDOCRINOL, 6(1), 10-12.
- Lumbar spine peak bone mass and bone turnover in men and women: a longitudinal study.. Osteoporos Int, 20(3), 355-362.
- Effects of Feeding on Bone Metabolism. Clinical Reviews in Bone and Mineral Metabolism, 7(3), 230-239.
- Effects of Depot medroxyprogesterone acetate on bone density and bone metabolism before and after peak bone mass: a case-control study.. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 93(4), 1317-1323.
- The response of fibroblast growth factor-23 to teriparatide in postmenopausal osteoporosis. Bone Abstracts.
- Evaluation of adipocytokines and traditional cardiometabolic risk factors in young male cancer survivors: an age-matched control study. Endocrine Abstracts.
- The effect of bisphosphonate treatment on osteoclast precursor cells in postmenopausal women with rsteoporosis: The TRIO study. Bone Abstracts.
- Determinants of bone turnover marker response to three oral bisphosphonate therapies in postmenopausal osteoporosis: the TRIO study. Bone Abstracts.
- The effect of bisphosphonate treatment on sclerostin levels in postmenopausal osteoporosis: the TRIO study. Bone Abstracts.
- View this article in WRRO Metabolic complications In Young A, Board R, Leonard P, Cooksley T, Stewart A & Michie C (Ed.), Problem solving in acute oncology (pp. 84-88). ebn Health
- Metabolic Complications In Marshall E, Clark P, Selby P & Young A (Ed.), Problem Solving in Acute Oncology Clinical Publishing
Conference proceedings papers
- LOW CIRCULATING 25 HYDROXYVITAMIN D IN OBESITY IS NOT ASSOCIATED WITH LOWER 24-HOUR URINE CALCIUM, HIGHER BONE TURNOVER OR LOWER BONE MINERAL DENSITY. OSTEOPOROSIS INTERNATIONAL, Vol. 25 (pp S672-S673)
- High circulating serotonin in carcinoid syndrome is not associated with alterations in bone turnover or bone density. Bone, Vol. 50 (pp S53-S53)
- Peak bone mineral content and bone volume at the lumbar spine in males and females: Longitudinal study.. JOURNAL OF BONE AND MINERAL RESEARCH, Vol. 21 (pp S206-S207)
- Endocrine determinants of bone turnover in adolescence and young adulthood.. JOURNAL OF BONE AND MINERAL RESEARCH, Vol. 21 (pp S206-S206)
- Effect of depot medroxyprogesterone acetate on markers of bone turnover.. JOURNAL OF BONE AND MINERAL RESEARCH, Vol. 20(9) (pp S226-S226)
- Effect of depot medroxyprogesterone acetate on attainment of peak bone mass. BONE, Vol. 36 (pp S129-S129)
- Bone size at the distal radius is inversely correlated with volumetric bone mineral density. OSTEOPOROSIS INTERNATIONAL, Vol. 15 (pp S26-S26)
- Bone size at the distal radius is inversely correlated with volumetric bone mineral density.. JOURNAL OF BONE AND MINERAL RESEARCH, Vol. 19 (pp S301-S301)
- Effect of depot medroxyprogesterone acetate on bone mineral density at the spine, hip and forearm.. JOURNAL OF BONE AND MINERAL RESEARCH, Vol. 18 (pp S369-S369)
- Vitamin D is low in obesity, and this is due to greater volume of distribution. Bone Abstracts
- Research group
- Lisa Dowling
- Teaching interests
I teach in the Sheffield undergraduate curriculum, giving lectures and seminars on calcium physiology and metabolic bone disease, and masterclasses in teenage and young adult medicine. I run the AUBM training programme.
I lead the CIMA MRes in musculoskeletal ageing, and teach regularly on the ECTS PhD training course and Mellanby courses on bone biochemical markers and vertebral fracture.
I completed the RCP/UCL Postgraduate Diploma in Medical Education in 2012 and have since joined the RCP teaching team, as a tutor on the Doctors as Educators programme.
I am Training Programme Director for Endocrinology and Diabetes in South Yorkshire.
- Professional activities
- Sheffield Children’s Hospital Charity Scientific Advisory Committee 2014-
- Brittle Bone Society Medical Board member 2012-
- Member of Society for Endocrinology Special Interest groups:
- Bone and Mineral, Late Effects of Cancer, Teenage and Young Adult 2010-
- Organising and scientific programme committee for national Late Effects meetings 2012, 2014
- Efficacy and Mechanism Evaluation associate board member 2011-2013