Professor Syed Hussain
MBBS, MSc, MD, FRCP
Department of Oncology and Metabolism
Professor and Consultant in Medical Oncology
+44 114 215 9682
Full contact details
Department of Oncology and Metabolism
Room 228, 2nd Floor, Broomcross Building
Weston Park Hospital
For enquiries, please contact - firstname.lastname@example.org
I graduated from Dow Medical College Karachi in 1994 and completed my general medical professional training in UK. I did my Doctorate in Oncology at the University of Birmingham and then completed my Medical oncology training in Birmingham, United Kingdom and received my certification and specialist registration in Medical oncology.
I am Professor and Consultant in Medical Oncology at the University of Sheffield and Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust.
- Research interests
My major areas of interest are management of urological cancers, clinical trials, early drug development and translational medicine. I have set up a large number of clinical trials from early phase to late phase studies during my career.
My work on organ preservation in bladder cancer moved all the way from an early phase I study (Hussain et al Annals of Oncology 2001), to phase II efficacy study (Hussain et al BJC 2004) that led to a Cancer Research UK funded study BC2001 trial that was reported in New England Journal of Medicine (James, Hussain, Hall et al April 2012).
This study has now changed the standard of care for patients with muscle invasive bladder cancer opting for organ preservation treatment. I am principal investigator of a number of studies in urological cancers.
I am chief investigator of a national randomised placebo-controlled phase II neo-adjuvant study in muscle invasive bladder cancer and have served as chief investigator of various early phase trials, and translational studies.
I have authored over 90 peer-reviewed publications including 4 book chapters in textbooks of oncology and been an invited speaker to a number of national and international meetings. I have secured funding of over 10 million pounds from funding bodies.
- Setting up of clinical trials in bladder cancers.
- Early phase studies in bladder cancer.
- Development of panel of Biomarkers in bladder cancer.
- Translational research linked to bladder cancer clinical trials.
This person does not have any publications available.
- The Scottish Bladder Cancer Quality Performance Indicators Influencing Outcomes, Prognosis, and Surveillance (Scot BC Quality OPS) Clinical Project. European Urology Focus.
- Reply to Santhanam Sundar and Paul Symonds' Letter to the Editor re: Syed A. Hussain, Nuria Porta, Emma Hall, et al. Outcomes in Patients with Muscle-invasive Bladder Cancer Treated with Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy Followed by (Chemo)radiotherapy in the BC2001 Trial. Eur Urol 2021;79:307-15.. Eur Urol.
- Impact of COVID 19 pandemic on psychological wellbeing of oncology clinicians in MENA (Middle East and North Africa) region.. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 39(15_suppl), e24105-e24105.
- Disparities in reporting and representation of women, older adults and racial minorities in immune checkpoint inhibitor (ICI) clinical trials.. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 39(15_suppl), 6549-6549.
- Clinical Outcomes of Platinum-ineligible Patients with Advanced Urothelial Carcinoma Treated With First-line PD1/L1 Inhibitors. Clinical Genitourinary Cancer.
- A Living, Interactive Systematic Review and Network Meta-analysis of First-line Treatment of Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma. European Urology.
- Phase II open-label study of S-588410 as maintenance monotherapy after first-line platinum-containing chemotherapy in patients with advanced or metastatic urothelial carcinoma.. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 39(6_suppl), 440-440.
- Quality of Life After Bladder Cancer: A Cross-sectional Survey of Patient-reported Outcomes. European Urology.
- Urological cancer patients receiving treatment during COVID-19 : a single-centre perspective. British Journal of Cancer.
- Outcomes in Patients with Muscle-invasive Bladder Cancer Treated with Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy Followed by (Chemo)radiotherapy in the BC2001 Trial. European Urology, 79(2), 307-315.
- Perioperative Treatment in Muscle-invasive Bladder Cancer: Analysis of Secondary Endpoints in a Randomized Trial Comparing Gemcitabine and Cisplatin Versus Dose-dense Methotrexate, Vinblastine, Adriamycin, and Cisplatin. European Urology.
- Occupational Bladder cancer: A cross section survey of previous employments, tasks and exposures matched to cancer phenotypes. PLoS ONE.
- Survey of the Impact of COVID-19 on Oncologists’ Decision Making in Cancer. JCO Global Oncology(6), 1248-1257.
- The Impact of Centralised Services on Metric Reflecting High-quality Performance: Outcomes from 1110 Consecutive Radical Cystectomies at a Single Centre. European Urology Focus.
- ATLANTIS: a randomised multi-arm phase II biomarker-directed umbrella screening trial of maintenance targeted therapy after chemotherapy in patients with advanced or metastatic urothelial cancer. Trials, 21(1).
- Reply to Wei Liu, Xiaoping Liu, Sheng Li’s Letter to the Editor, re: Robert A. Huddart, Emma Hall, Rebecca Lewis, et al. Patient-reported Quality of Life Outcomes in Patients Treated for Muscle-invasive Bladder Cancer with Radiotherapy ± Chemotherapy in the BC2001 Phase III Randomised Controlled Trial. Eur Urol 2020;77:260–8. European Urology, 77(6), e156-e157.
- Phase II randomized placebo-controlled neoadjuvant trial of nintedanib or placebo with gemcitabine and cisplatin in locally advanced muscle invasive bladder cancer (NEO-BLADE).. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 38(6_suppl), 438-438.
- Patient reported quality of life outcomes in patients treated for muscle invasive bladder cancer with radiotherapy +/- chemotherapy in the BC2001 phase III randomised controlled trial. European Urology, 77(2), 260-268.
- CD40L membrane retention enhances the immunostimulatory effects of CD40 ligation. Scientific Reports, 10(1). View this article in WRRO
- Ramucirumab plus docetaxel versus placebo plus docetaxel in patients with locally advanced or metastatic urothelial carcinoma after platinum-based therapy (RANGE): overall survival and updated results of a randomised, double-blind, phase 3 trial. The Lancet Oncology, 21(1), 105-120.
- Biomarker analyses of ramucirumab in patients with platinum refractory urothelial cancer from RANGE, a global, randomized, double-blind, phase III study. Annals of Oncology, 30, v373-v374.
- Mutation Analysis of the FGFR3-encoding gene Does Not Predict Response to Checkpoint Inhibitor Treatment in Metastatic Bladder Cancer. European Urology, 76(5), 604-606.
- Safe Use of Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors in the Multidisciplinary Management of Urological Cancer: The European Association of Urology Position in 2019. European Urology, 76(3), 368-380.
- Vinflunine in the treatment of relapsed metastatic urothelial cancer: A systematic review and meta-analysis of real-world series. Critical Reviews in Oncology and Hematology. View this article in WRRO
- Targeting IGF-1/2 with xentuzumab (Xe) plus enzalutamide (En) in metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer (mCRPC) after progression on docetaxel chemotherapy (DCt) and abiraterone (Abi): Randomized phase II trial results.. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 37(15_suppl), 5030-5030.
- First-line PD(L)1 inhibitors for platinum-ineligible advanced urothelial carcinoma (aUC).. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 37(15_suppl), e16024-e16024.
- Pharmacodynamic and Clinical Results from a Phase I/II Study of the HSP90 Inhibitor Onalespib in Combination with Abiraterone Acetate in Prostate Cancer. Clinical Cancer Research, 25(15), 4624-4633.
- From Clinical Trials to Real-life Clinical Practice: The Role of Immunotherapy with PD-1/PD-L1 Inhibitors in Advanced Urothelial Carcinoma. European Urology Oncology, 1(6), 486-500.
- Atezolizumab in Platinum-treated Locally Advanced or Metastatic Urothelial Carcinoma: Outcomes by Prior Number of Regimens. European Urology, 73(3), 462-468.
- Real-world (RW) evidence of vinflunine in metastatic urothelial cancer (mUC): A systematic review of seven European studies.. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 36(6_suppl), 463-463.
- Atezolizumab versus chemotherapy in patients with platinum-treated locally advanced or metastatic urothelial carcinoma (IMvigor211): a multicentre, open-label, phase 3 randomised controlled trial. The Lancet, 391(10122), 748-757.
- Venous Thromboembolism Risk in Patients With Locoregional Urothelial Tract Tumors. Clinical Genitourinary Cancer, 16(1), e161-e167.
- Robot-assisted Versus Open Radical Cystectomy in Patients Receiving Perioperative Chemotherapy for Muscle-invasive Bladder Cancer: The Oncologist’s Perspective from a Multicentre Study. European Urology Focus, 4(6), 937-945.
- Ramucirumab plus docetaxel versus placebo plus docetaxel in patients with locally advanced or metastatic urothelial carcinoma after platinum-based therapy (RANGE): a randomised, double-blind, phase 3 trial. The Lancet, 390(10109), 2266-2277.
- Randomized Phase II Study Investigating Pazopanib Versus Weekly Paclitaxel in Relapsed or Progressive Urothelial Cancer. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 35(16), 1770-1777.
- Towards better models and mechanistic biomarkers for drug-induced gastrointestinal injury. Pharmacology & Therapeutics, 172, 181-194.
- Inhibitor SBFI26 suppresses the malignant progression of castration-resistant PC3-M cells by competitively binding to oncogenic FABP5. OncoTargets and Therapy, 8(19), 31041-31056. View this article in WRRO
- Gene expression profiling in bladder cancer identifies potential therapeutic targets. International journal of oncology, 50(4), 1147-1159.
- BC2001 long-term outcomes: A phase III randomized trial of chemoradiotherapy versus radiotherapy (RT) alone and standard RT versus reduced high-dose volume RT in muscle-invasive bladder cancer.. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 35(6_suppl), 280-280.
- Thrombo-embolic events (TEE) during neoadjuvant chemotherapy for muscle invasive bladder cancer.. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 35(6_suppl), 339-339.
- The predictive and prognostic value of tumour necrosis in muscle invasive bladder cancer patients receiving radiotherapy with or without chemotherapy in the BC2001 trial (CRUK/01/004). British Journal of Cancer, 116(5), 649-657.
- VICTOR: Vinflunine in advanced metastatic transitional cell carcinoma of the urothelium: A retrospective analysis of the use of vinflunine in multi-centre real life setting as second line chemotherapy through Free of Charge Programme for patients in the UK and Ireland. International journal of oncology, 50(3), 768-772.
- A phase II/III, double -blind, randomised trial comparing maintenance lapatinib versus placebo after first line chemotherapy in HER1/2 positive metastatic cancer patients.. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 35(1), 48-55.
- The increased expression of fatty acid-binding protein 9 in prostate cancer and its prognostic significance. Oncotarget, 7(50), 82783-82797.
- IMvigor210: updated analyses of first-line (1L) atezolizumab (atezo) in cisplatin (cis)-ineligible locally advanced/metastatic urothelial carcinoma (mUC). Annals of Oncology, 27, vi270-vi270.
- Phase III Study of Cabozantinib in Previously Treated Metastatic Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer: COMET-1. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 34(25), 3005-3013.
- Cisplatin- Versus Non–Cisplatin-based First-Line Chemotherapy for Advanced Urothelial Carcinoma Previously Treated With Perioperative Cisplatin. Clinical Genitourinary Cancer, 14(4), 331-340.
- Cost-effectiveness of zoledronic acid and strontium-89 as bone protecting treatments in addition to chemotherapy in patients with metastatic castrate-refractory prostate cancer: results from the TRAPEZE trial (ISRCTN 12808747). BJU International. View this article in WRRO
- FIESTA: A phase Ib and pharmacokinetic trial of AZD4547 in combination with gemcitabine and cisplatin.. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 34(15_suppl), 4521-4521.
- PARP Inhibition in Prostate Cancer: A Promising Approach. Oncology, 30(5), 393-394.
- Clinical Outcomes and Survival Following Treatment of Metastatic Castrate-Refractory Prostate Cancer With Docetaxel Alone or With Strontium-89, Zoledronic Acid, or Both. JAMA Oncology, 2(4), 493-493. View this article in WRRO
- Bladder Sparing Approaches for Muscle-Invasive Bladder Cancers. Current Treatment Options in Oncology, 17(3).
- A Randomised Phase 2 Study of AZD2014 Versus Everolimus in Patients with VEGF-Refractory Metastatic Clear Cell Renal Cancer. European Urology, 69(3), 450-456.
- Fatty acid activated PPARγ promotes tumorigenicity of prostate cancer cells by up regulating VEGF via PPAR responsive elements of the promoter. Oncotarget, 7(8), 9322-9339.
- PLUTO: A randomised phase II study of pazopanib versus paclitaxel in relapsed urothelial tumours.. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 34(2_suppl), 430-430.
- Outcome of radical cystectomy series in the management of muscle invasive bladder cancer: Liverpool experience.. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 34(2_suppl), 396-396.
- IMvigor 210, a phase II trial of atezolizumab (MPDL3280A) in platinum-treated locally advanced or metastatic urothelial carcinoma (mUC).. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 34(2_suppl), 355-355.
- The cell cycle regulator p27Kip1 is associated with urothelial bladder cancer invasion. International Journal of Clinical and Experimental Pathology, 9(10), 10515-10521.
- DNA-Repair Defects and Olaparib in Metastatic Prostate Cancer. New England Journal of Medicine, 373(18), 1697-1708.
- 2619 Patterns and potential benefit of adjuvant chemotherapy for residual muscle invasive disease after neoadjuvant chemotherapy for muscle invasive urothelial cancer (MIUC). European Journal of Cancer, 51, S518-S518.
- Comparative effectiveness of gemcitabine plus cisplatin versus methotrexate, vinblastine, doxorubicin, plus cisplatin as neoadjuvant therapy for muscle-invasive bladder cancer. Cancer, 121(15), 2586-2593.
- The international normalized ratio does not reflect bleeding risk in esophageal variceal hemorrhage. Saudi Journal of Gastroenterology, 21(4), 254-254.
- Bladder reconstruction: The past, present and future. Oncology Letters, 10(1), 3-10.
- Cisplatin-Based First-Line Therapy for Advanced Urothelial Carcinoma After Previous Perioperative Cisplatin-Based Therapy. Clinical Genitourinary Cancer, 13(2), 178-184.
- Phase II randomised placebo controlled neoadjuvant chemotherapy study of nintedanib with gemcitabine and cisplatin in locally advanced muscle invasive bladder cancer. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 33 (supplement; abstract TPS4574).
- A phase I, open-label, multicenter study to evaluate the pharmacokinetics and safety of oral panobinostat in patients with advanced solid tumors and varying degrees of renal function. Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology, 75(1), 87-95.
- The Nrf2 transcription factor contributes to resistance to cisplatin in bladder cancer. Urologic Oncology: Seminars and Original Investigations, 32(6), 806-814.
- Low vitamin D level is an independent predictor of poor outcomes in Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea. Therapeutic Advances in Gastroenterology, 7(1), 14-19.
- The Detection of Hepatocellular Carcinoma Using a Prospectively Developed and Validated Model Based on Serological Biomarkers. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers & Prevention, 23(1), 144-153.
- Randomized Noninferiority Trial of Reduced High-Dose Volume Versus Standard Volume Radiation Therapy for Muscle-Invasive Bladder Cancer: Results of the BC2001 Trial (CRUK/01/004). International Journal of Radiation Oncology*Biology*Physics, 87(2), 261-269.
- Pooled Analysis of Phase II Trials Evaluating Weekly or Conventional Cisplatin as First-Line Therapy for Advanced Urothelial Carcinoma. Clinical Genitourinary Cancer, 11(3), 316-320.
- Sorafenib for advanced hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC): impact of rationing in the United Kingdom. British Journal of Cancer, 109(4), 888-890.
- Clinical outcomes in patients with castrate-refractory prostate cancer (CRPC) metastatic to bone randomized in the factorial TRAPEZE trial to docetaxel (D) with strontium-89 (Sr89), zoledronic acid (ZA), neither, or both (ISRCTN 12808747).. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 31(18_suppl), LBA5000-LBA5000.
- Pillcam ESO® is more accurate than clinical scoring systems in risk stratifying emergency room patients with acute upper gastrointestinal bleeding. Therapeutic Advances in Gastroenterology, 6(3), 193-198.
- A Multidisciplinary Approach in Muscle-Invasive Disease: Novel Chemotherapy Combinations and Targets in Chemoradiation. American Society of Clinical Oncology Educational Book, 33, 200-206.
- Changing angles: Successful treatment of superior mesenteric artery syndrome with double-balloon enteroscopy-assisted direct feeding jejunostomy. Digestive Endoscopy, 24(6), 482-482.
- UNIQUE USAGE OF A PARTIALLY COVERED METAL STENT FOR DRAINAGE OF A PANCREATIC PSEUDOCYST VIA ENDOSONOGRAPHY-GUIDED TRANSCYSTGASTROSTOMY. Digestive Endoscopy, 24(3), 185-187.
- Radiotherapy with or without Chemotherapy in Muscle-Invasive Bladder Cancer. New England Journal of Medicine, 366(16), 1477-1488.
- Ketamine-induced Biliary Dilatation. Journal of Addiction Medicine, 6(1), 89-91.
- The Successful Treatment of Chronic Cholecystitis with SpyGlass Cholangioscopy-Assisted Gallbladder Drainage and Irrigation through Self- Expandable Metal Stents. Gut and Liver, 6(1), 136-138.
- Assessment of high-throughput high-resolution MALDI-TOF-MS of urinary peptides for the detection of muscle-invasive bladder cancer. PROTEOMICS - Clinical Applications, 5(9-10), 493-503.
- Diagnosis of multifocal small bowel carcinoid with double balloon Enteroscopy. Practical Gastroenterology, 35(9), 60-63.
- Live View Video Capsule Endoscopy Enables Risk Stratification of Patients with Acute Upper GI Bleeding in the Emergency Room: A Pilot Study. Digestive Diseases and Sciences, 56(3), 786-791.
- Role of Second-Line Systemic Treatment Post-Docetaxel in Metastatic Castrate Resistant Prostate Cancer- Current Strategies and Future Directions. Anti-Cancer Agents in Medicinal Chemistry, 11(3), 296-306.
- Tumour biology of germ cell tumours. Hematology/Oncology Clinics of North America, 25, 457-471.
- Biology of Germ Cell Tumors. Hematology/Oncology Clinics of North America, 25(3), 457-471.
- Chemotherapy for breast cancer (review). Oncology Reports, 24(5), 1121-1131.
- The West Midlands Bladder Cancer Prognosis Programme: rationale and design. BJU International, 105(6), 784-788.
- Recent Advances and Future Directions in the Management of Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma. Anti-Cancer Agents in Medicinal Chemistry, 10(3), 225-235.
- Erratum. Hemodialysis International, 14(1), 152-152.
- Advances in chemotherapy in breast cancer.. Oncology Report, 24, 1121-1131.
- Identification of Small Bowel Diverticula with Double-Balloon Enteroscopy Following Non-diagnostic Capsule Endoscopy. Digestive Diseases and Sciences, 54(10), 2296-2297.
- Outcomes of critically ill patients with acute kidney injury and end-stage renal disease requiring renal replacement therapy: a case-control study. Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation, 24(7), 2290-2290.
- Role of Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitors in Lung Cancer. Anti-Cancer Agents in Medicinal Chemistry, 9(5), 569-575.
- Outcome among patients with acute renal failure needing continuous renal replacement therapy: A single center study. Hemodialysis International, 13(2), 205-214.
- Re-challenging with Docetaxel chemotherapy following relapse: Is this an effective treatment strategy. Prostate Cancer Forum, 5, 1-9.
- Chemotherapy related encephalopathy in a patient with Stage IV cervical carcinoma treated with cisplatin and 5-fluorouracil: a case report. Cases Journal, 2(1), 8526-8526.
- Biology of testicular germ cell tumors. Expert Review of Anticancer Therapy, 8(10), 1659-1673.
- Multifocal Granular Cell Tumor Presenting as an Esophageal Stricture. Journal of Gastrointestinal Cancer, 39(1-4), 107-113.
- Genomics and Pharmacogenomics in the Management of Breast Cancer. Current Pharmacogenomics and Personalized Medicine, 6(1), 45-55.
- Management of metastatic germ cell tumors. Expert Review of Anticancer Therapy, 8(5), 771-784.
- Access to Kidney Transplantation among Patients Insured by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs. Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, 18(9), 2592-2599.
- Reply: Randomised studies with translational end points are required to further elucidate the prognostic and predictive value of CA IX. British Journal of Cancer, 96(8), 1310-1310.
- Hypoxia-regulated carbonic anhydrase IX expression is associated with poor survival in patients with invasive breast cancer. British Journal of Cancer, 96(1), 104-109.
- Molecularly Targeted Therapeutics for Breast Cancer. BioDrugs, 21(4), 215-224.
- Signal Transduction Therapy: Challenges to Clinical Trial Design. Current Signal Transduction Therapy, 2(1), 21-30.
- BK virus infection after renal transplantation. Current Opinion in Organ Transplantation, 11(4), 413-417.
- BK virus nephritis: Risk factors, timing, and outcome in renal transplant recipients. Kidney International, 68(4), 1834-1839.
- Phosphorus-enriched hemodialysis during pregnancy: Two case reports. Hemodialysis International, 9(2), 147-152.
- Management of muscle invasive bladder cancer?British approaches to organ conservation. Seminars in Radiation Oncology, 15(1), 19-27.
- Gene- and immunotherapy for hepatocellular carcinoma. Expert Opinion on Biological Therapy, 5(4), 507-523.
- Role of chemotherapy in breast cancer. Expert Review of Anticancer Therapy, 5(6), 1095-1110.
- Molecular markers in bladder cancer. Seminars in Radiation Oncology, 15(1), 3-9.
- Molecular pathways in bladder cancer: Part 1. BJU International, 95(4), 485-490.
- Molecular pathways in bladder cancer: Part 2. BJU International, 95(4), 491-496.
- Management of muscle invasive bladder cancer – can we improve the results of bladder preserving therapy?. Seminars in Radiation Oncology, 15(1), 19-27.
- Systemic therapies for hepatocellular carcinoma. Expert Opinion on Investigational Drugs, 13(12), 1555-1568.
- A phase I/II study of gemcitabine and fractionated cisplatin in an outpatient setting using a 21-day schedule in patients with advanced and metastatic bladder cancer. British Journal of Cancer, 91(5), 844-849.
- Long-term results of a phase II study of synchronous chemoradiotherapy in advanced muscle invasive bladder cancer. British Journal of Cancer, 90(11), 2106-2111.
- Endocrine therapy for early breast cancer. Expert Review of Anticancer Therapy, 4(5), 877-888.
- Endocrine therapy and other targeted therapies for metastatic breast cancer. Expert Review of Anticancer Therapy, 4(6), 1179-1195.
- CD40 expression in prostatic carcinomas. Oncology Reports: an international journal devoted to fundamental and applied research in oncology, 12(4), 679-682.
- Role of hypoxic marker CA IX in Transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder.. Oncology Reports: an international journal devoted to fundamental and applied research in oncology, 11(5), 1005-1010.
- Role of endocrine therapy in early breast cancer. Expert Review of Anticancer Therapy, 5, 877-888.
- Role of endocrine therapy in metastatic breast cancer.. Expert Review of Anticancer Therapy, 6, 1179-1195.
- The systemic treatment of advanced and metastatic bladder cancer. The Lancet Oncology, 4(8), 489-497.
- Expression of pituitary tumour transforming gene (PTTG) and fibroblast growth factor-2 (FGF-2) in human pituitary adenomas: relationships to clinical tumour behaviour. Clinical Endocrinology, 58(2), 141-150.
- Proapoptotic genes BAX and CD40L are predictors of survival in transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder. British Journal of Cancer, 88(4), 586-592.
- Successful treatment of radiation nephropathy with angiotensin II blockade. International Journal of Radiation Oncology*Biology*Physics, 55(1), 190-193.
- BCL2 expression predicts survival in patients receiving synchronous chemoradiotherapy in advanced transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder. Oncology Reports, 10(3), 571-576.
- Organ preservation strategies in bladder cancer. Expert Review of Anticancer Therapy, 2(6), 641-651.
- Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor, Its Receptor KDR/Flk-1, and Pituitary Tumor Transforming Gene in Pituitary Tumors. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, 87(9), 4238-4244.
- Rapid kidney allograft failure in patients with polyoma virus nephritis with prior treatment with antilymphocyte agents. Clinical Transplantation, 16(1), 43-47.
- A phase I–II study of synchronous chemoradiotherapy for poor prognosis locally advanced bladder cancer. Annals of Oncology, 12(7), 929-935.
- Pre-clinical and clinical study of QC12, a water-soluble, pro-drug of quercetin. Annals of Oncology, 12(2), 245-248.
- Virus-directed, enzyme prodrug therapy with nitroimidazole reductase: A phase I and pharmacokinetic study of its prodrug, CB1954. Clinical Cancer Research, 7(9), 2662-2668.
- Hepatocellular carcinoma. Annals of Oncology, 12(2), 161-172.
- Role of chemotherapy in anal tumours. GI Cancer, 3(3), 181-187.
- Docetaxel chemotherapy for metastatic hormone refractory prostate cancer as first-line palliative chemotherapy and subsequent re-treatment: Birmingham experience. Oncology Reports, 20(4).
- Urine dna for monitoring chemoradiotherapy response in muscle‐invasive bladder cancer: A pilot study. BJU International.
- Concurrent use of nivolumab and radiotherapy for patients with metastatic non‑small cell lung cancer and renal cell carcinoma with oligometastatic disease progression on nivolumab. Molecular and Clinical Oncology, 15(4).
- Bladder cancer: shedding light on the most promising investigational drugs in clinical trials. Expert Opinion on Investigational Drugs.
- Phase I Trial of DNA Methyltransferase Inhibitor Guadecitabine Combined with Cisplatin and Gemcitabine for Solid Malignancies Including Urothelial Carcinoma (SPIRE). Clinical Cancer Research.
- Therapeutics discovery: From bench to first in-human trials*. Biomedical Reports.
- Repair of a gastrocolic fistula using a wire-guided, simultaneous dual scope approach. Endoscopy, 45(S 02), E307-E308.
- CD40 expression in prostate cancer: A potential diagnostic and therapeutic molecule. Oncology Reports.
- Carbonic anhydrase IX, a marker of hypoxia: Correlation with clinical outcome in transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder. Oncology Reports.
- Molecular Mechanisms Involved in the Transition of Prostate Cancer Cells from Androgen Dependant to Castration Resistant State. Journal of Andrology and Gynaecology, 2(3).
- Critical appraisal of axitinib in the treatment of advanced renal cell carcinoma. Biologics: Targets and Therapy, 39-39. View this article in WRRO
- Management of renal angiomyolipoma in patients with tuberous sclerosis complex. Oncology Reports.
- A study of split-dose cisplatin-based neo-adjuvant chemotherapy in muscle-invasive bladder cancer. Oncology Letters.
- A phase II clinical trial of gemcitabine and split dose cisplatin in advanced non-small cell lung cancer in an outpatient setting. Oncology Reports.
- The use of self-expandable metal stents in the palliation of malignant bowel obstruction. Oncology Reports.
- Hypofractionated radiotherapy in invasive bladder cancer: an individual patient data meta‐analysis of the BC2001 and BCON trials. Lancet Oncology.
- A multidisciplinary approach in muscle-invasive disease In Hussain S (Ed.), American Society Clinical Oncology Education Book
- Systematic chemotherapy for liver tumours In Fong , Poon , Tang , Dupuy & Berlin (Ed.), Hepatobiliary Cancer
- Bladder cancer, in Perez and Brady's Principles and Practice of Radiation Oncology In Halperin EC, Wazer DE, Perez CA & Brady LW (Ed.), Percy and Brady textbook of radiation oncology
- Concomitant chemo-radiotherapy principles and management In Price (Ed.), Treatment of Cancer
Conference proceedings papers
- Changing Landscape in the Management of Advanced Bladder Cancer. JOURNAL OF PATHOLOGY, Vol. 249 (pp S10-S10)
- Hypo-Fractionation in Muscle-Invasive Bladder Cancer: An Individual Patient Data (IPD) Meta-Analysis of the BC2001 and BCON Trials. International Journal of Radiation Oncology*Biology*Physics, Vol. 105(1) (pp S138-S138)
- A randomized phase II study of AZ2014 versus everolimus in patients with VEGF refractory metastatic clear cell renal cancer (mRCC).. Journal of Clinical Oncology, Vol. 33(7_suppl) (pp 409-409)
- Clinical outcomes in patients with castrate-refractory prostate cancer (CRPC) metastatic to bone randomized in the factorial TRAPEZE trial to docetaxel (D) with strontium-89 (Sr89), zoledronic acid (ZA), neither, or both (ISRCTN 12808747).. JOURNAL OF CLINICAL ONCOLOGY, Vol. 31(18)
- Clinical outcomes in patients with castrate-refractory prostate cancer (CRPC) metastatic to bone randomized in the factorial trapeze trial to docetaxel (D) with strontium-89 (Sr89), zoledronic acid (ZA), neither, or both (ISRCTN 12808747).. JOURNAL OF CLINICAL ONCOLOGY, Vol. 31(15)
- Teaching interests
I regularly taught pharmacology to both undergraduate and postgraduate students in my previous roles and supervised both MSc and PhD students in both their projects and research.
- Professional activities
- Association of Cancer Physicians (ACP)
- European Society of Medical Oncology (ESMO)
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO)
- NCRI Blader & Renal Clinical studies group
- British Medical Association
- Chair of the NCRI Advanced Bladder Cancer – subgroup