Dr Adam Stanovic
Department of Music
The University of Sheffield
34 Leavygreave Road
Tel: +44 (0) 114 222 0475
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
I am a composer, performer and writer specialising in electroacoustic/acousmatic music - that is, music which involves some form of electronic mediation.
I started composing electroacoustic music some 20 years ago, before completing a degree in music production at The University of Leeds, and a PhD in electroacoustic composition at City University, London, under the supervision of Professor Denis Smalley. During that time, I composed in a number of European electronic music studios (including the IMEB, France, Musiques et Recherches, Belgium, VICC and EMS, Sweden, amongst others), and I also had the opportunity to perform my music in festivals and events around the world (in over throughout Europe, Asia, North and South America and Australasia). I have since received a number of international awards for my musical works (Bourges, Metamophoses, Destellos, Contemporanea, SYNC) and released music on a variety of different labels (Elektramusic, Taukey, Sargasso, ICMA, amongst others).
Alongside my creative work, I have published numerous journal articles and book chapters relating the creation and presentation of electroacoustic music. Although my written work deals with a wide range of topics (including compositional methods, analytical approaches, the nature of performance interpretation and authenticity, amongst others), I have an on-going fascination with the various ontological/phenomenological paradoxes that the electroacoustic tradition seems to produce. I have been lecturing on such topics for the past 10 years and started working at The University of Sheffield in September 2012 where I am currently Director of the MA in Sonic Arts and the MA in Composition.
- Electroacoustic/acousmatic music (composition and performance)
- Analysis of electronic music (methods and works)
- Aesthetics of contemporary music
- Philosophy of sound/music (particularly musical ontology and phenomenology)
Current Research Students
- Alejandro Albornoz – acousmatic composition
- Vanessa Sorce-Levesque – acousmatic composition
- Mark Summers – human+computer music performance and improvisation
- Rees Archibald – sound installations, process, chance and agency
- Chris Bevan – acousmatic composition
Selected Publications (journals and book chapters)
- Stansbie, A. 2016. “Beyond the Fixity Fallacy: rethinking the work-concept in an age of electronic music”. In, Dogantan-Dack and Dack, eds. Music and Sonic Art: Practices and Theories. Cambridge Scholars Publishing: Cambridge
- Stansbie, A. 2015 (forthcoming). “Degrees of Determinacy: classifying acousmatic works in an age of sound diffusion”. In, Musimédiane, Vol 8. Musimédiane, Paris.
- Stansbie, A. 2015. “The Acousmatic Sound Sculpture: an ontological account of works, performances and the centrality of space”. In, “Sound Spaces and Audiovisual Spaces: Creation, Representation and Design”. Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (UAM): Madrid
- Stansbie, A. 2014. “Between Plasticity and Performance: an ontological account of electroacoustic music”. In, the Journal of the Korean Electro-Acoustic Music Society, Emilie, Vol 11. KEAMS, Seoul.
- Moore, A., Moore, D., Pearse, S., Stansbie, A. 2013. “Tracking Production Strategies: identifying compositional methods in electroacoustic music”. In, A. Moore and A. Stansbie, Eds., the Journal of Music, Technology and Education, Vol 6.3. Intellect, Bristol
- Stansbie, A. 2012. Between Plasticity and Performance: the creation and presentation of acousmatic art. In, Digital Art Criticism: Sonic Arts. Foundation of Digital Arts : Taiwan.
- Stansbie, A. 2011. Sounds, Agents, Works and Listeners: A Model of Computer Music Performance. In, the Journal of Music, Technology and Education, Vol 3.1. Intellect, Bristol.
- Stansbie, A. 2010. Through Thick and Thin: the Ontology of Tape Music. In, the Journal of Music and Meaning. University of Southern Denmark, Odense.
Selected Publications (music)
- Stansbie, A. 2015. “one times one”, in Destellos Prize-winning Pieces, CD published by the Foundation Destellos, Argentina, and CMMAS, Mexico
- Stansbie, A. 2012. Isthmus. Solo CD published by Sargasso, featuring five acousmatic compositions (Isthmus, Early Morning, Parenthesis, Point of Departure and Escapade).
- Stansbie, A. 2011. “Spore!”, in autohypnosis sex war noise faith white truth light, 8th CD of Mute Sound Records, Zaragoza, Spain.
- Stansbie, A. 2011. “Fractions”, in Elektramusic III, Elektramusic, Strasbourg.
- Stansbie, A. 2011. “Escapade”, in ICMC Proceedings, Huddersfield University, Huddersfield.
- Stansbie, A. 2011. “Escapade”, in Città di Udine – Eighth Edition, Taukay Edizioni Musicali, Udine.
- Made in Great Britain, Musique&Recherches Concert series, Brussels, Belgium, 24th February 2016
- 3*3, The University of York, UK, 22nd Jan 2016
- AKOUSMA, Electrochoc No.3, Montreal, Canada, 10th Dec 2015
- MUSLAB2015, INSTITUTO TUDOR, Mexico City, Mexico, 5th Dec 2015
- Relincha Festival, Chile, 28th Nov 2015
- “> SYNC.2015”, Yekaterinburg, Russia, 31st Oct – 1st Nov 2015
- MANTIS festival/Metanast, Manchester, UK, 18th Oct 2015
- Sonic Voyages: Bristol University Loudspeaker Orchestra, Bristol, UK, 16th Oct 2015
- Sonic Voyages: Bristol University Loudspeaker Orchestra, Bristol, UK, 16th Oct 2015
- Birmingham Conservatoire Concert Series, Birmingham, UK, 12th Oct 2015
- Acousmatic Transcendence, Academy of Fine Arts, Vienna, 25th – 27th Sept 2015
- INTER- #3, Stereo, Glasgow, UK, 17th Sept 2015
- Chapel Walk Gallery, Sheffield, UK, 19th July 2015
- Sixth International Symposium on Music/Sonic Art: Practices and Theories, Karlsruhe Institut für Musikwissenschaft und Musikinformatik (IMWI), Karlsruhe, Germany, 23-25 June, 2015
- EMS conference, Sheffield, UK, 24th June 2015
- Sound Junction 2015, University of Sheffield, 14th May 2015
- ssoo, Flagstaff, Arizona, USA, 2nd May 2015
- HPO’s What Next Festival, Hamilton, Canada, 2nd May 2015
- Sonorities, Festival of Contemporary Music, 2015, SARC, Belfast, 22nd – 26th April 2015
- International Festival for Innovations in Music Production and Composition (iFIMPaC), Leeds College of Music, Leeds, 12th – 13th March 2015
- MANTIS Spring Festival 2015, Manchester, UK, 1st March 2015
- Sound Junction 2014, University of Sheffield, 15th Nov 2014
- Open Circuit 2014, Liverpool University, UK, 24th Oct 2014
- INTIME2014 Symposium, Coventry University, UK, 18th Oct 2014
- Fifth International Symposium on Music/Sonic Art: Practices and Theories, Karlsruhe Institut für Musikwissenschaft und Musikinformatik (IMWI), Karlsruhe, Germany, 26-29 June, 2014
- Facing Extinction, University for the Creative Arts, Farnham, UK, 7th – 8th June, 2014
- The Electroacoustic Music Festival, The Electro Acoustic Project, Vienna, 19th June 2014
- Sonorities, Festival of Contemporary Music, Listening Room, Belfast, 27th April – 4th May 2014
- Sweet Thunder Festival of Electro-Acoustic Music, San Francisco, USA, 24th – 27th April 2014
- Sonorities, Festival of Contemporary Music, 2014, SARC, Belfast, 27th April – 4th May 2014
- Sound Junction 2014, Sheffield, UK, 4th April 2014
- SoundImageSound 10 International Festival of New Music and Visual Image, Conservatory of Music, University of the Pacific, USA, 30th – 31st Jan 2014
- Seoul International Computer Music Festival 2013, Seoul, Korea, 31st Oct 2013
- Espacios Sonoros 2013, Madrid, Spain 12th – 15th March 2013
- PHONOS, Campus de la Comunicació, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona, Spain, 12th March 2013
- ISCM World Music Days 2012, British Panel Selection, Belgium, 25th October – 4th November 2012.
- International Computer Music Conference (ICMC) 2012, Slovenia, 9th – 15th September 2012.
- NoiseFloor 2012, Staffordshire University, UK, 4th May 2012.
- International Forum for Innovations in Production and Composition (IFIMPaC), Leeds College of Music, Leeds, UK, 26th – 27th April 2012.
- FEASt Fest, Miami, USA, 8th November 2011.
- City Sounds, Flykingen, Sweden, 26th October 2011.
- INTIME2011 Symposium, Coventry University, 23rd – 25th September 2011.
- Festival Futura 2011, Crest, Drôme, France, 25th – 28th August 2011.
- International Computer Music Conference (ICMC) 2011, Huddersfield, UK, 31st July – 5th August 2011
- CONCIERTOS PHONOS 2010-2011, Concierto acusmático, Barcelona, Spain, 8th June 2011
- Image and Resonance, Mar del Plata, Argentina, 2nd June 2011.
Awards, mentions and commissions
- 2nd Prize at the International Festival/Competition of Electroacoustic Music and Multimedia “>SYNC.2015”, Yekaterinburg, Russia, Oct 2015
- Commission from Sheaf Prospects: soundmapping Furnace Park – a public engagement project supported by Arts Enterprise funding, Sheffield, May 2015
- Commission from Thomas Gorbach and The Electro Acoustic Project for a stereo, acousmatic work to be premiered at the Electroacoustic Music Festival Vienna, 19th June 2014
- Escapade one of two compositions selected by the International Society for Contemporary Music (ISMC) (pre-selected by the British Panel) to represent the British entry for the ISCM World Music Days 2012, July 2011
- Commission from Erik Bosgraaf for an alto-recorder and tape piece; Premiered May 2012.
- First Prize in the Third International Competition of Electroacoustic Composition and Visual Music, Destellos Foundation, Argentina, Sept 2010
- Finalist in VIII International Competition for Composers “Città di Udine”, August 2010
- Shortlisted Composer for the 2010 MATA Commission, New York, June 2010
- First Prize in International Competition of Acousmatic Music “Métamorphoses” Category A, Belgium, June 2006
- Residency Prize at the 33rd International Competition of Electroacoustic Music and Sonic Art / Bourges 2006, June 2006
Selected Studio Residences
- Guest Composer at CMMAS, Mexico, June 2016
- Guest Composer at Elektronmusikstudion (EMS), Sweden, June/July 2011.
- Composer in Residence at Visby International Centre for Composers (VICC), Sweden, June 2010.
- Composer in Residence at Musique et Recherché, Belgium, June 2009.
- Composer in Residence at the Institut International de Musique Electroacoustique de Bourges (IMEB), France, Oct/Nov 2008.