Students from care

Advice, information and support for students from a care background.


If you're a student with caring responsibilities, please click the link below.

Students with caring responsibilities

Before you arrive

If you're a new student coming from a care background, we can help you research your higher education options and negotiate the UCAS application process.

For advice on coming to the University, use the below contact details:

Telephone: +44 114 222 1378


University support

We can offer you dedicated support where

  • you've been looked after by someone other than your parents
  • you were previously considered to be a care leaver by your local authority

As part of our student community, you can receive

  • a care leavers’ non-repayable bursary
  • help to access financial assistance and support
  • a guaranteed place in University accommodation
  • a dedicated Care Leaver contact who can offer tailored, individual and sustained support throughout your studies

For more information on the support available to you, use the below contact details:

Telephone: +44 114 222 1378


Financial support

As a care leaver, you may be eligible to apply for a range of financial schemes to assist you during your studies.

Here are the financial options available to you:

University bursary for care leaversAccommodation scholarships for care leavers

For information, assistance or support, contact our Student Welfare and Wellbeing team at


Below are some definitions of terms that may apply to students from care. For more information, visit the Buttle website.

Care leaver

This includes individuals who are under 25 years old and have been looked after by a local authority for at least 13 weeks since the age of 14; and who were looked after by the local authority at school-leaving age or after that date.

Background in care

This includes individuals who have been in the care of a local authority for at least 13 weeks, whether away from home or in the home.

Looked after and/or in the care of a local authority

This includes individuals who are in foster care, local authority accommodation, under a care order at home or under kinship care.

Still got questions?

Find what you're looking for on Student Answers, our FAQ knowledgebase.