What Support is Available?

Check what disability support is available and whether you’re eligible.



We can put in place individually-tailored support based on discussions with you about your requirements, so you’ll have a lot of control over your support. 

We also make ‘reasonable adjustments’ based on the Equality Act 2010 to ensure our environments, policies and practices do not place disabled students at a substantial disadvantage (e.g. making the environment more accessible or altering teaching, learning or assessments). 

 To find out if you’re eligible for disability support, visit:

Before you start your course 

Orientation and accessing campus

We can provide:

  • mobility training if you’re blind or partially-sighted
  • tailored one-to-one orientation support to help you get used to the University environment and find your way round

Online access guides are available via ‘AccessAble’ for all of our buildings and facilities, including route guides to assist travel across campus. 

University accommodation 

If you have specific accommodation requirements due to your disability (e.g. a wheelchair-accessible and/or en-suite room), please mention these in your accommodation application form to ensure your allocated accommodation meets your needs. 

If you have any questions please contact the accommodation team

The website below explains how to apply for accommodation. 

Personal care support 

You can apply for personal care support if you require assistance with day-to-day living tasks such as:

  • Washing
  • Getting up
  • Getting dressed 
  • Going to the toilet
  • Cleaning the house
  • Shopping and cooking

Personal care support can also cover the cost of specialist equipment (e.g. wheelchairs or profiling beds) that you’d need regardless of being at University. 

How to apply

You can apply for personal care support through the Social Services department of the local authority where you’re ordinarily resident (e.g. your term-time home address). 

Make sure you contact your local authority as far in advance as possible, ideally around a year before the start of your course, as this can take a long time.

Please also let us know if you’re applying for care funding so we can ensure your care support needs whilst at University are accurately assessed. 

Tell us about your care funding

International students 

If you’re an international student, we can’t provide any funding to cover the cost of assistance with day-to-day living tasks. 

If you need any kind of care assistance at University, you should ensure you have enough funding to pay for this well in advance of your arrival.

Please contact us if you need any advice on how to arrange care support.

Contact DDSS

Autism support

If you’re a student with autism, the page below provides information about your transition to University and suggests strategies to overcome any challenges you may encounter.

After you start your course

Once you arrive at University, we can discuss your individual requirements and put tailored support in place for you. 

The following support is available: 

Accessing campus

  • Personal assistants to help you access taught sessions and University facilities (e.g. the libraries).
  • Provision of a taxi account so you can easily and safely travel to/from University. 
  • Referral for a University disabled parking permit. 

Online access guides are available via ‘AccessAble’ for all of our buildings and facilities, including route guides to assist travel across campus. 

Accessing taught sessions 

  • The loan of digital recorders to record sessions.
  • Copies of lecture notes and handouts in advance and/or in alternative formats.
  • Support worker assistance in practical sessions (e.g. in labs) to ensure you can work effectively and safely.
  • Support workers (e.g. note-takers or sign language interpreters) to ensure you have an accurate record of what is covered in your lectures.


  • Extra time
  • Rest or nutrition breaks
  • Use of a computer and assistive software
  • Permission to use specialist ergonomic equipment
  • Exam papers in alternative formats (e.g. braille or large print)
  • Permission to sit your exams in a venue with fewer candidates, or on your own
  • Modification of the language used in exam questions (e.g. if you’re deaf or hard of hearing or have an autism spectrum condition such as Asperger syndrome)

Managing your workload 

  • One-to-one support aimed at developing your study skills. If you have specific learning difficulties, this is provided by the English Language Teaching Centre
  • One-to-one mentor support sessions to help you develop your organisational skills, manage your workload and maintain your focus on academic progress. This is usually arranged by our Support Worker Service.
  • The provision of computing equipment/specialist assistive equipment and software to enable independent learning. 
  • Stickers to put on pieces of assessed written work to inform markers that you have difficulties with written communication. 
  • Alternative methods of assessment where the standard method of assessment used may disadvantage you. 
  • The Disability Liaison Officer in your academic department will share relevant information about your disabilities and support requirements to help your tutors provide appropriate support.

Fieldwork, placements and years abroad

We’ll ensure departments take your specific support requirements into account when allocating placements, arranging field trips and organising years abroad. 

How to set up support 

The page below explains how to set up disability support for when you arrive at University. 

Related information 

To talk to a current student about their experience accessing disability support go to Key Topics > Disabled Students on the page below. 

Talk to a current student