Working in the UK as a dependant

Check if your dependants can work in the UK and the types of work they can do on a Student Dependent visa.



Your Dependants can work in the UK if you are:

  • a government sponsored student studying on a full time course that is at least six months; or
  • taking a full-time postgraduate course of 9 months or longer at a Higher Education provider' with 'a track record of compliance' (we meet that requirement); or
  • studying on a course which is 9 months or more and your full-time course is at degree level or above. 

Dependants will also be able to work if you're extending your student status for less than 9 months to continue to study on a course for which you were previously granted permission of 9 months or more. 

Their right to work should be confirmed in their visa decision letter and on their BRP. You should check that the BRP has the correct work condition and visa duration, as mistakes can happen. 

You can report any errors to UKVI.

Types of work they can do 

As a dependant, you cannot: 

  • work as a professional sportsperson, which includes being a sports coach 
  • work as a doctor or dentist in training if their permission as a Tier 4 partner was decided before 9 a.m. on 5 October 2020 (although there are some special exemptions to this, described in paragraph 319D(b)(iii) of the Immigration Rules)

Dependants who are permitted to work can do any other type of work, including volunteer work and being self-employed. 

For more information about dependant visas and work conditions, see the UK government’s immigration rules.

Still got questions?

Find what you're looking for on Student Answers, our FAQ knowledgebase.