BA Cambridge, MA KCL, PhD UCL
Department of Philosophy
Professor of Philosophy
Director of Learning and Teaching
Full contact details
Department of Philosophy
45 Victoria Street
I have been a member of the Department since September 2001; after a two-year lectureship at University College London, where I took my doctorate.
- Research interests
- Second-personal attitudes
- Social Epistemology
- Knowledge on Trust. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- The exchange of words. The Philosophical Review, 130(1), 167-171. View this article in WRRO
- The nature and rationality of conversion. European Journal of Philosophy. View this article in WRRO
- Indirect Communication, Authority, and Proclamation as a Normative Power: Løgstrup's Critique of Kierkegaard. Graduate Faculty Philosophy Journal, 40(1), 147-182. View this article in WRRO
- What are we doing when we are training?. Sport, Ethics and Philosophy, 13(3-4), 348-362. View this article in WRRO
- Finding Trust in Government. Journal of Social Philosophy. View this article in WRRO
- View this article in WRRO Fake Barns, Fake News. Social Epistemology Review and Reply Collective, 7(6), 16-21.
- Giving the Benefit of the Doubt. International Journal of Philosophical Studies. View this article in WRRO
- Collective Testimony and Collective Knowledge. Ergo, 5(4), 103-126. View this article in WRRO
- The attitude of trust is basic. Analysis, 75(3), 424-429. View this article in WRRO
- Really Trying or Merely Trying. Journal of the Philosophy of Sport, 41(3), 363-380. View this article in WRRO
- The moral obligations of trust. Philosophical Explorations, 17(3), 332-345. View this article in WRRO
- Two-Stage Reliabilism, Virtue Reliabilism, Dualism and the Problem of Sufficiency. Social Epistemology Review and Reply Collective, 2(8), 121-138.
- The practical rationality of trust. Synthese, 191(9), 1975-1989. View this article in WRRO
- View this article in WRRO Replies. Abstracta : Linguagem, Mente e Ação, 2012(Special Issue 6).
- View this article in WRRO Precis "Knowledge on Trust". Abstracta(Special Issue 6).
- View this article in WRRO Trust and the Assessment of Credibility. Social Epistemology Review and Reply Collective, 1(8), 1-6.
- Review: Carson, "Lying and Deception: Theory and Practice". Ethics, 121, 799-803.
- View this article in WRRO Review: Lackey, "Learning from Words". Mind: a quarterly review of philosophy, 118(470), 479-485.
- Can We Agree to Disagree?. Studies in History and Philosophy of Science Part A, 39, 282-285.
- Cooperation and trust in conversational exchanges. Theoria, 1(23), 23-34.
- On Telling and Trusting. Mind, 116, 875-902.
- What is Wrong with Lying?. Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, 75, 535-557.
- A Genealogy of Trust. Episteme, 4, 305-321.
- Understanding Knowledge Transmission. Ratio, 19, 156-175.
- On Dreaming and Being Lied To. Episteme, 2, 149-159.
- Review: Thinking About Knowing. Mind, 113, 390-394.
- View this article in WRRO Relativism and Our Warrant for Scientific Theories. International Journal of Philosophical Studies, 12, 259-269.
- Problems of knowledge: A critical introduction to epistemology. PHILOSOPHICAL QUARTERLY, 53(211), 292-295.
- Review: Hetherington, "Good Knowledge, Bad Knowledge". Mind, 112, 346-349.
- View this article in WRRO On the rationality of our response to testimony. Synthese, 131(3), 353-370.
- View this article in WRRO Testimonial Knowledge. Acta Analytica, 15(24), 127-138.
- The Social Character of Testimonial Knowledge. Journal of Philosophy, 97, 581-601.
- View this article in WRRO David Hume’s Reductionist Epistemology of Testimony. Pacific Philosophical Quarterly, 79, 302-313.
- The Presumption of Assurance. Synthese.
- View this article in WRRO A Virtue Theory of Testimony. Proceedings of the Aristotelian Society.
- Lockdown: A Case Study in How to Lose Trust and Undermine Compliance. Global Discourse / Global Discourse: An Interdisciplinary Journal of Current Affairs and Applied Contemporary Thought.
- Trust and testimony, The Routledge Handbook of Trust and Philosophy (pp. 329-340).
- View this article in WRRO The Problem of Trust In Faulkner P & Simpson T (Ed.), The Philosophy of Trust (pp. 109-129). Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Is Taxation on a Par with Force Labour? In Peeters B, Gribnau H & Badisco J (Ed.), Building Trust in Taxation (pp. 73-88). Intersentia
- View this article in WRRO Trust and the radical ethical demand, What is Ethically Demanded?: K. E. Logstrup's Philosophy of Moral Life (pp. 237-254).
- View this article in WRRO Agency and Disagreement In Reider P (Ed.), Social Epistemology and Epistemic Agency: Decentralizing Epistemic Agency (pp. 75-91). London: Rowman & Littlefield International.
- View this article in WRRO Lying and Deceit, The International Encyclopedia of Ethics Wiley
- Epistemology of Testimony, Handbook of Pragmatics John Benjamins
- View this article in WRRO Norms of Trust In Haddock A, Millar A & Pritchard D (Ed.), Social Epistemology OUP Oxford
- Introduction (pp. 1-4). Springer Science and Business Media LLC
- The Epistemic Role of Trust, Trust, Reputation, and Security: Theories and Practice (pp. 30-38). Springer
- View this article in WRRO Jennifer Lackey, Ernest Sosa, "The Epistemology of Testimony". Mind, 116(464), 1136-1139.
- View this article in WRRO Review: Kusch, "Knowledge by Agreement". Philosophical Books, 47(1), 81-85.