Mike Campbell (BA,MSc, PhD, CStat)
Emeritus Professor of Medical Statistics
Design, Trials & Statistics, ScHARR
The University of Sheffield
Regent Court, 30 Regent Street
Telephone: 20839 (internal), 0114 22208390114 2220839 (UK)
email : email@example.com
I came to Sheffield in 1997 and joined the Institute of General Practice and Primary Care. I moved to the HSR Section in 2005 and was Section Head from 2006-9.
Qualifications: BA in Mathematics from York University, MSc in Probability and Statistics from Sheffield University and a PhD in Medical Statistics from Edinburgh University.
Previous jobs. MRC Pneumoconiosis Unit in Cardiff and at the University of Southampton -head of the Medical Statistics and Computing Group.
- Design of complex interventions including cluster randomised trials
- Statistics in Primary Care
- Sample size estimation
- Time series analysis, particularly applied to air pollution and health data
- Health Technology Assessment
- Hospital Mortality
- Director of Postgraduate Research, ScHARR(2012-2016)
- Member of NIHR Health Services and Delivery Research Commissioning Board (2010-2014)
- Director, Health Services Research Section ScHARR (2006-9)
- Chair, Medical Section Royal Statistical Society(2012-2014)
- Joint Editor Statistics in Medicine (2002-7)
- Member of Appraisal Committee, NICE (2000-10)
- Chair ScHARR Research Committee (1998-2005)
- Member HEFCE Research Assessment Exercise sub-Panel 12 Professions Allied to Medicine
- Deputy Director Institute of General Practice and Primary Care (2003)
- Member MRC Health Services Research Fellowships Panel (1997-2001)
- Member NHS Research Capacity Development National Primary Care Awards Panel (1999-2002)
- Chair Royal Statistical Society Examination Board (1997-2002)
HTA -In utero magnetic resonance imaging of fetal brain abnormalities Griffiths C, Robson S, Campbell MJ, Cooper C Reeves M and Graham M 3 years £1.9M
HTA- REPOSE (Relative Effectiveness of Pumps Over MDI and Structured Education) Trial Heller S, Amiel S, Brennan A, Campbell M, Lawton J £1.5M
|NIHR Programme Grant. Developing new ways of measuring the impact of ambulance service care, PHOEBE – Pre Hospital Outcomes for Evidence Based Evaluation. Siriwardena N, Turner J, Nicholl J. Goodacre S, Lyons R. Booth A, Snooks H, Brazier J, Grey J, Walker, A, Campbell M, Coster J, O’Cathain A, Meechan D £1.98M|
DoH Policy Research Programme., The value of 25 hydroxyvitamin D as a biomarker in obesity Eastell R, Walsh J, Naylor K, Barker M, Dimitri P, Campbell M, Schoenmakers I £350K
NIHR Programme Grant. DAFNEPlus. (2015) A lifelong approach to promote effective self-management in adults with Type 1 diabetes. Heller S (PI) Cohen J, Brennan A, Baird W, Lawton J, Yardley L Campbell MJ £2.5M
Mike Campbell is based in the Health Services Research section.
Please click here to view a full list of Mike Campbell's publications.
- Campbell MJ & Walters SJ (2014) How to Design, Analyse and Report Cluster Randomised Trials in Medicine and Health Related Research. John Wiley & Sons Ltd..
- Campbell MJ, Hemming K & Taljaard M (2019) The stepped wedge cluster randomised trial: what it is and when it should be used.. The Medical Journal of Australia. View this article in WRRO
- Hemming K, Taljaard M, McKenzie JE, Hooper R, Copas A, Thompson JA, Dixon-Woods M, Aldcroft A, Doussau A, Grayling M , Kristunas C et al (2018) Reporting of stepped wedge cluster randomised trials: extension of the CONSORT 2010 statement with explanation and elaboration. The BMJ, 363, k1614.
- Pollard DJ, Brennan A, Dixon S, Waugh N, Elliott J, Heller S, Lee E, Campbell M, Basarir H & White D (2018) Cost-effectiveness of insulin pumps compared with multiple daily injections both provided with structured education for adults with type 1 diabetes: a health economic analysis of the Relative Effectiveness of Pumps over Structured Education (REPOSE) randomised controlled trial. BMJ Open, 8(4). View this article in WRRO
- Cortés J, González JA, Medina MN, Vogler M, Vilaró M, Elmore M, Senn SJ, Campbell M & Cobo E (2018) Does evidence support the high expectations placed in precision medicine? A bibliographic review. F1000Research, 7, 30.
- Campbell MJ, Lancaster GA & Eldridge SM (2018) A randomised controlled trial is not a pilot trial simply because it uses a surrogate endpoint. Pilot and Feasibility Studies, 4(1), 130. View this article in WRRO
- Griffiths PD, Bradburn M, Campbell MJ, Cooper CL, Graham R, Jarvis D, Kilby MD, Mason G, Mooney C, Robson SC , Wailoo A et al (2017) Use of MRI in the Diagnosis of Fetal Brain Abnormalities in Utero (MERIDIAN): A Multicenter, Prospective Cohort Study. Obstetric Anesthesia Digest, 37(4), 202.
- Gibson LA, Hernandez M, Kelly M & Campbell M (2017) The effects of breastfeeding on childhood BMI: a propensity score matching approach. Journal of Public Health, 39(4), e152-e160. View this article in WRRO
- Griffiths PD, Bradburn M, Campbell MJ, Cooper CL, Graham R, Jarvis D, Kilby MD, Mason G, Mooney C, Robson SC , Wailoo A et al (2017) Use of MRI in the Diagnosis of Fetal Brain Abnormalities in Utero (MERIDIAN): A Multicentre, Prospective Cohort Study. Obstetrical & Gynecological Survey, 72(6), 323.
- Heller S, White D, Lee E, Lawton J, Pollard D, Waugh N, Amiel S, Barnard K, Beckwith A, Brennan A , Campbell M et al (2017) A cluster randomised trial, cost-effectiveness analysis and psychosocial evaluation of insulin pump therapy compared with multiple injections during flexible intensive insulin therapy for type 1 diabetes: the REPOSE Trial. Health Technology Assessment, 21(20), 1-278. View this article in WRRO
- Barker D, D'Este C, Campbell MJ & McElduff P (2017) Minimum number of clusters and comparison of analysis methods for cross sectional stepped wedge cluster randomised trials with binary outcomes: A simulation study.. Trials, 18(1), 119-119. View this article in WRRO
- Campbell MJ (2017) What is propensity score modelling?. Emergency Medicine Journal, 34(3), 129-131. View this article in WRRO
- Griffiths PD, Bradburn M, Campbell MJ, Cooper CL, Graham R, Jarvis D, Kilby MD, Mason G, Mooney C, Robson SC , Wailoo A et al (2016) Use of MRI in the diagnosis of fetal brain abnormalities in utero (MERIDIAN): a multicentre, prospective cohort study. Lancet, 389(10068), 538-546. View this article in WRRO
- Eldridge SM, Chan CL, Campbell MJ, Bond CM, Hopewell S, Thabane L & Lancaster GA (2016) CONSORT 2010 statement: extension to randomised pilot and feasibility trials. BMJ, 355. View this article in WRRO
- Eldridge SM, Chan CL, Campbell MJ, Bond CM, Hopewell S, Thabane L & Lancaster GA (2016) CONSORT 2010 statement: extension to randomised pilot and feasibility trials. Pilot and Feasibility Studies, 2(64). View this article in WRRO
- Maheswaran R, Pearson T, Beevers SD, Campbell MJ & Wolfe CD (2016) Air Pollution and Subtypes, Severity and Vulnerability to Ischemic Stroke—A Population Based Case-Crossover Study. PLOS ONE, 11(6), e0158556-e0158556. View this article in WRRO
- Barker D, McElduff P, D’Este C & Campbell MJ (2016) Stepped wedge cluster randomised trials: a review of the statistical methodology used and available. BMC Medical Research Methodology, 16(1). View this article in WRRO
- Campbell MJ (2014) Challenges of cluster randomized trials.. J Comp Eff Res, 3(3), 271-281.
- Whitehead AL, Sully BGO & Campbell MJ (2014) Pilot and feasibility studies: is there a difference from each other and from a randomised controlled trial?. Contemp Clin Trials, 38(1), 130-133.
- Nicholl J, Jacques RM & Campbell MJ (2013) Direct risk standardisation: a new method for comparing casemix adjusted event rates using complex models.. BMC Med Res Methodol, 13, 133. View this article in WRRO
- Campbell MJ, Jacques RM, Fotheringham J, Maheswaran R & Nicholl J (2012) Developing a summary hospital mortality index: retrospective analysis in English hospitals over five years.. BMJ, 344, e1001. View this article in WRRO