Dr Edith Poku, BSc, MBChB, MSc, FHEA
Research Fellow in Systematic Reviewing
University of Sheffield
Regent Court, 30 Regent Street
Sheffield, S1 4DA
Tel: (+44) (0)114 222 0692
Fax: (+44) (0)114 222 0749
I joined ScHARR in 2009. I am a member of the ScHARR Technology Assessment Group (ScHARR-TAG). ScHARR-TAG carries out reviews of clinical and cost effectiveness of health care interventions for the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) and the Health Technology Assessment Programme on behalf of policy makers, including the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE). I am also a strategic member of the Health Economics and Decision Science (HEDS) Consultancy Functional Working Group and an active member of the ScHARR Research Ethics Committee.
I lead systematic reviews of patient-reported outcome measures, including health state utility values. I have also undertaken various types of systematic reviews which related to the appropriateness of health utilities in different health conditions, the clinical effectiveness and safety of technologies and the prevalence of chronic conditions.
My current research focus is on methodological developments in identifying and evaluating patient-reported outcome measures including quality of life measures. I am also interested in the application of systematic reviewing methods to support evidence-based healthcare delivery and decision-making.
I am involved in teaching and training in systematic reviewing methods. I also have an interest in pedagogical approaches used in the teaching of critical appraisal skills.
My teaching activities include:
- Module lead, Dissertation module (HAR689 & 690), MSc International Health Technology Assessment, Pricing and Reimbursement
- Lecturer, Masters in Public Health (HAR6501); MSc Health Economics and Decision Modelling (HAR669)
- Supervisor, Post-graduate research dissertations
- Fellow of Higher Education Academy
- Member of Health Technology Assessment International (HTAi)
- Member of InterTASC (a collaboration of nine UK groups involved in health technology assessment)
- Member of Society of Social Medicine (SSM)
- Member of European Public Health Association (EuPHA)
Adalimumab and dexamethasone for treating non-infectious uveitis - multiple technology assessment
The Design, Development, Commissioning and Evaluation of Patient Focused Vascular Services
- Prehospital Noninvasive Ventilation for Acute Respiratory Failure: Systematic Review, Network Meta-analysis, and Individual Patient Data Meta-analysis. Academic Emergency Medicine, 21(9), 960-970. View this article in WRRO
- The safety of intravitreal bevacizumab monotherapy in adult ophthalmic conditions: systematic review. BMJ Open, 4. View this article in WRRO
- Health state utilities in patients with diabetic retinopathy, diabetic macular oedema and age-related macular degeneration: a systematic review.. BMC Ophthalmol, 13, 74. View this article in WRRO
- Echocardiography in newly diagnosed atrial fibrillation patients: a systematic review and economic evaluation.. Health Technol Assess, 17(36), 1-vi.
- Pre-hospital non-invasive ventilation for acute respiratory failure: a systematic review and cost-effectiveness evaluation. Health Technology Assessment, 19(42), 1-102. View this article in WRRO