Hazel Squires BSc (Sheffield), MSc (Lancaster), PhD (Sheffield)
University of Sheffield
Regent Court, 30 Regent Street
Sheffield, S1 4DA
Tel: (+44) (0)114 222 0765
Fax: (+44) (0)114 222 0749
I joined ScHARR in 2005 after completing a BSc in Mathematics from the University of Sheffield and an MSc in Operational Research from Lancaster University. Since joining ScHARR, I have undertaken modelling projects for NICE, the Department of Health, the NHS Cancer Screening Programme and the pharmaceutical industry. A large part of this work has been around Public Health interventions and cancer screening, diagnosis and treatment. In 2010 - 2013 I developed a framework for helping modellers develop the structure of Public Health economic models as part of a NIHR doctoral research fellowship.
•Modelling within public health
•Individual-level simulation to model healthcare systems
My teaching interests are:
•Mathematical modelling within healthcare
•Discrete event simulation
•Editorial Board of Journal of Simulation
I am currently working on the following projects:
•The clinical and cost-effectiveness of pertuzumab for the neoadjuvant treatment of HER2-positive breast cancer (NICE STA)
•The clinical and cost-effectiveness of adalimumab, dexamethasone and sirolimus for treating non-infectious uveitis (NICE MTA)
- A systematic review and economic evaluation of adalimumab and dexamethasone for treating non-infectious intermediate, posterior or panuveitis in adults. Health technology assessment, 21(68). View this article in WRRO
- The impact of Type 2 diabetes prevention programmes based on risk‐identification and lifestyle intervention intensity strategies: a cost‐effectiveness analysis. Diabetic Medicine, 34(5), 632-640. View this article in WRRO
- A Framework for Developing the Structure of Public Health Economic Models. Value in Health, 19(5), 588-601. View this article in WRRO
- Trastuzumab Emtansine for Treating HER2-Positive, Unresectable, Locally Advanced or Metastatic Breast Cancer After Treatment with Trastuzumab and a Taxane: An Evidence Review Group Perspective of a NICE Single Technology Appraisal. PharmacoEconomics, 34(7), 673-680. View this article in WRRO
- A systematic literature review of the key challenges for developing the structure of public health economic models. International Journal of Public Health, 61(3), 289-298. View this article in WRRO
- Modelling the economics of type 2 diabetes mellitus prevention: a literature review of methods.. Appl Health Econ Health Policy, 12(3), 239-253.
- Methods for handling uncertainty within pharmaceutical funding decisions. International Journal of Systems Science, 45(1), 60-68. View this article in WRRO
- Cost-effectiveness of interventions to return employees to work following long-term sickness absence due to musculoskeletal disorders.. J Public Health (Oxf), 34(1), 115-124.
- A systematic review and economic evaluation of cilostazol, naftidrofuryl oxalate, pentoxifylline and inositol nicotinate for the treatment of intermittent claudication in people with peripheral arterial disease.. Health Technol Assess, 15(40), 1-210.
- Cost-effectiveness of aspirin, celecoxib, and calcium chemoprevention for colorectal cancer. Clinical Therapeutics, 33(9), 1289-1305.
- The costs and benefits of bowel cancer service developments using discrete event simulation. J OPER RES SOC, 60(10), 1305-1314.
- Routine antenatal anti-D prophylaxis for RhD-negative women: a systematic review and economic evaluation.. Health technology assessment (Winchester, England), 13(10).
- Assessment of a 7-day turn-around for the reporting of cervical smear results using discrete event simulation. J OPER RES SOC, 59(7), 902-910.