Richard Cooper PhD, MA, LLB, BSc, PGCertHE, FRSPH, SFHEA, MRPharmS
Section of Public Health
University of Sheffield
30 Regent Street
Room 2037, 2nd Floor, Regent Court
Tel: +44 (0) 114 222 0768
Fax: +44 (0) 114 222 0749
email : : email@example.com
I studied pharmacy as a first degree and undertook various community pharmacist roles before studying law, then health care ethics at the University of Leeds; my PhD was undertaken at the University of Nottingham and involved an empirical study of ethics in healthcare.
I have been at the University of Sheffield since 2007 and am a Senior Lecturer in Public Health and am the Deputy Director of the Public Health section.
My research interests span a number of methodologies (but particularly qualitative and mixed methods) and themes including:
- Misuse, abuse and addiction to medicines
- Over-the-counter and prescription medicine supply and prescribing
- Medical sociology
- Medical ethics
I contribute to a variety of teaching and assessment on Master of Public Health degree modules, as well as the MBChB Medical Degree; I am the director of the Europubhealth programme, co-ordinator of the Qualitative Research Design and Analysis module (HAR6531); I run masterclasses in public health ethics, addiction to prescription/OTC medicine and teach and assess ethics on the MBChB.
- Registered pharmacist (GPhC regn 2038210)
- Member of the Royal Pharmaceutical Society
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Public Health
- Associate editor: Pharmaceutical Issues Journal of Substance Use
- Editorial board member journal: Pharmacy
- Member of the Society for the Study of Addiction
- Member of the British Sociological Association
- Member of the Institute of Medical Ethics
- Regular peer reviewer for a variety of journals and funding bodies
Opioid Analgesic Dependence Study 2016-19 Principal Investigator
Exploring the Misuse and Abuse of Over the Counter (OTC) Medicines in the UK. Principal Investigator. Jul 08-Dec 10
Over-the-Counter Medicine Abuse: a pilot study. 2011-2012
I am interested in supervising research students and particularly in any of my research interests listed above. I currently supervise students in the following areas: GP Decision-making on Insulin Initiation, Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting in Ghana, Indigenous Population Use of Traditional medicines in Ecuador, Exploring the Impact of Dealing with Terrorist Incidents for Emergency Services and Hospital Staff, Medicines Optimisation of DOACs: Healthcare Practitioners and Older Patient Perceptions
- Coombes H & Cooper R (2019) Staff perceptions of prescription and over-the-counter drug dependence services in England : a qualitative study. Addiction Science and Clinical Practice, 14. View this article in WRRO
- Lee E & Cooper R (2019) Codeine Addiction and Internet Forum Use and Support: Qualitative Netnographic Study. Journal of Medical Internet Research Mental Health, 6(4). View this article in WRRO
- Sherlaw W, Fernandez A, McColl K & Cooper R (2018) Learning from transnational differences in how risk of harm is viewed in human research ethics. European Journal of Public Health, 28(suppl_4). View this article in WRRO
- Sprake E, Russell MJ, Cecil J, Cooper R, Grabowski PS, Pourshahidi LK & Barker M (2018) Dietary patterns of university students in the UK: a cross-sectional study. Nutrition Journal, 17(90). View this article in WRRO
- Cooper R & Tsoneva J (2017) Benefits and tensions in delivering public health in community pharmacies – a qualitative study of healthy living pharmacy staff champions. International Journal of Pharmacy Practice, 25(5), 351-357. View this article in WRRO
- Green MA, Little E, Cooper R, Relton C & Strong M (2016) Investigation of social, demographic and health variations in the usage of prescribed and over-the-counter medicines within a large cohort (South Yorkshire, UK). BMJ Open, 6, e012038-e012038. View this article in WRRO
- Parry CDH, Deluca P, Cooper R & Van Hout MC (2015) Do we have sufficient information to optimally inform regulatory or other policy decisions about medications containing codeine?. Addiction, 110(10), 1690-1691. View this article in WRRO
- Relton C, Li J, Strong M, Holdsworth M, Cooper R, Green M & Bissell P (2014) Deprivation, clubs and drugs: results of a UK regional population-based cross-sectional study of weight management strategies.. BMC Public Health, 14, 444. View this article in WRRO
- Cooper RJ (2013) 'I can't be an addict. I am.' Over-the-counter medicine abuse: a qualitative study.. BMJ Open, 3(6). View this article in WRRO
- Cooper R (2013) Surveillance and uncertainty: Community pharmacy responses to over the counter medicine abuse. Health and Social Care in the Community, 21(3), 254-262. View this article in WRRO
- Cooper RJ (2013) Over-the-counter medicine abuse - a review of the literature.. J Subst Use, 18(2), 82-107. View this article in WRRO
- Cooper RJ, Bissell P, Ward P, Murphy E, Anderson C, Avery T, James V, Lymn J, Guillaume L, Hutchinson A & Ratcliffe J (2012) Further challenges to medical dominance? The case of nurse and pharmacist supplementary prescribing.. Health (London), 16(2), 115-133.
- Cooper R (2012) Making the case for ethical decision-making models. Nurse Prescribing, 10(12), 607-611. View this article in WRRO
- Cooper R (2011) In praise of the prescription: The symbolic and boundary object value of the traditional prescription in the electronic age. Health Sociology Review, 20(4), 462-474. View this article in WRRO
- Cooper R & O'Hara R (2010) Patients' and staffs' experiences of an automated telephone weather forecasting service.. Journal of Health Services Research and Policy, 15(Suppl 2), 41-46. View this article in WRRO
- Cooper RJ, Bissell P & Wingfield J (2009) 'Islands' and 'doctor's tool': the ethical significance of isolation and subordination in UK community pharmacy.. Health (London), 13(3), 297-316. View this article in WRRO
- Cooper RJ (2009) Solo doctors and ethical isolation.. J Med Ethics, 35(11), 692-695. View this article in WRRO
- Cooper R, Anderson C, Avery T, Bissell P, Guillaume L, Hutchinson A, Lymn J, Murphy E, Ratcliffe J & Ward P (2008) Stakeholders' views of UK nurse and pharmacist supplementary prescribing. J HEALTH SERV RES PO, 13(4), 215-221.
- Cooper R, Guillaume L, Avery T, Anderson C, Bissell P, Hutchinson A, Lymn J, Murphy E, Ward P & Ratcliffe J (2008) Nonmedical prescribing in the United kingdom: developments and stakeholder interests.. J Ambul Care Manage, 31(3), 244-252. View this article in WRRO
- Cooper RJ, Bissell P & Wingfield J (2008) Ethical decision-making, passivity and pharmacy.. J Med Ethics, 34(6), 441-445. View this article in WRRO
- Cooper RJ, Anderson C, Avery T, Bissell P, Guillaume L, Hutchinson A, James V, Lymn J, McIntosh A, Murphy E , Ratcliffe J et al (2008) Nurse and pharmacist supplementary prescribing in the UK - A thematic review of the literature. HEALTH POLICY, 85(3), 277-292. View this article in WRRO
- Guillaume L, Cooper R, Avery A, Mitchell S, Ward P, Anderson C, Bissell P, Hutchinson A, James V, Lymn J , McIntosh A et al (2008) Supplementary prescribing by community and primary care pharmacists: an analysis of PACT data, 2004-2006.. J Clin Pharm Ther, 33(1), 11-16. View this article in WRRO
- Anderson C, Cooper RJ, Guillaume L, Avery A, Bissell P, Hutchinson A, James V, Lymn J, McIntosh A & Murphy E (2008) The views of pharmacists in England on their supplementary prescribing training. International Journal of Pharmacy Practice, 16(SUPPL. 1), A6-A7. View this article in WRRO
- Cooper RJ, Lymn J, Anderson C, Avery A, Bissell P, Guillaume L, Hutchinson A, Murphy E, Ratcliffe J & Ward P (2008) Learning to prescribe - pharmacists' experiences of supplementary prescribing training in England.. BMC Med Educ, 8, 57. View this article in WRRO
- Cooper RJ, Bissell P & Wingfield J (2008) Ethical, religious and factual beliefs about the supply of emergency hormonal contraception by UK community pharmacists. Journal of Family Planning and Reproductive Health Care, 34(1), 47-50. View this article in WRRO
- Cooper RJ, Bissell P & Wingfield J (2007) A new prescription for empirical ethics research in pharmacy: a critical review of the literature.. J Med Ethics, 33(2), 82-86. View this article in WRRO
- COOPER RJ, BISSELL P & WINGFIELD J (2007) Dilemmas in Dispensing, Problems in Practice? Ethical Issues and Law in UK Community Pharmacy. CLINICAL ETHICS, 2(2), 103-108.
- Cooper R (2007) Ethical issues in the use of electronic health records for pharmacy medicines sales.. J. Inf., Comm, Ethics in Society, 5, 7-19.
- Howard-Drake E, Cooper R & Halliday V () Headteachers’ and chairs of governors’ perspectives on adolescent obesity and its prevention in English secondary school settings. Journal of Public Health (Springer). View this article in WRRO
- Lee E & Cooper RJ () Codeine Addiction and Internet Forum Use and Support: Qualitative Netnographic Study (Preprint).
- Cooper R (2019) Measuring health and illness In van Teijlingen E & Humphris G (Ed.), Psychology and Sociology Applied to Medicine Elsevier
- Cooper R (2018) Misuse and Abuse of Over-the- Counter Medicines In Schepis T (Ed.), The Prescription Drug Abuse Epidemic: Incidence, Treatment, Prevention, and Policy USA: ABC-Clio.
- Cooper R (2010) The Ethics of Prescribing In Bath-Hextall F (Ed.), New Prescriber Wiley-Blackwell
- Cooper R (2008) Information technology, ethics and pharmacy medicine sales In Robinson S & Strain J (Ed.), Ethics for Living and Working (pp. 15-30). Troubador Publishing
Conference proceedings papers
- Nagumo W-R, Cooper R & Akparibo R (2018) Factors Influencing Low Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting Among Healthcare Professionals in Ghana. DRUG SAFETY, Vol. 41(11) (pp 1152-1153)
- Lymn J, Cooper R, Anderson C, Avery T, Bissell P, Guillaume L, Hutchinson A, James V, McIntosh A, Murphy E , Ratcliffe J et al (2008) No more pharmacology? Pharmacists' and stakeholders' views on supplementary prescribing course content. BRITISH JOURNAL OF CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGY, Vol. 65(6) (pp 976-976)
- Cooper R (2008) The Safety Climate of Pharmacist Supplementary Prescribing in England. International Journal of Pharmacy Practice, Vol. s1(16) (pp A21). Liverpool
- Milevska-Kostova N, Cooper K & Cooper R () Nostalgia for the Past: Precsribing and Dispensing Practices in Macedionia. Nostalgia for the Past: Prescribing and Dispensing Practices in Macedonia
- ali P, ariss S, crowder M, powell K & Cooper R (2017) Doncaster Domestic Abuse Perpetrator Programme: Evaluation Report View this article in WRRO
- Cooper RJ (2011) 'Respectable Addiction' - a qualitative study of over the counter medicine abuse in the UK. View this article in WRRO
- bissell P, Cooper R, preston L, anderson C, avery A, james V, hutchinson A, lymn J, murphy E, ratcliffe J , ward P et al () An Evaluation of Supplementary Prescribing in Nursing and Pharmacy. Final Report for the Department of Health View this article in WRRO