Doctoral training partners
The Faculty of Social Sciences collaborates with similar faculties across the North of England to provide the White Rose Doctoral Training Partnership.
ESRC White Rose Doctoral Training Partnership
The White Rose Social Sciences Doctoral Training Partnership (WRDTP), accredited by the Economic and Social Research Council in 2016, is led by the University of Sheffield. We collaborate across the social sciences with fellow Higher Education establishments:
- University of Leeds
- University of York
- University of Bradford
- Sheffield Hallam University
- University of Hull
- Manchester Metropolitan Universities
The WRDTP delivers excellent supervision, first class discipline and cutting-edge interdisciplinary research and transferable skills training, and a world-class intellectual environment for postgraduate research students.
It supports PhD students to participate in local, national and international networks of leading academics, non-academic partners, opinion formers, and policymakers.
We produce doctoral graduates with outstanding skills and flexibility, and the imagination to tackle the most difficult challenges confronting the social sciences today.
ESRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Data Analytics and Society
Data Analytics and Society is an ESRC funded Centre for Doctoral Training providing postgraduate research and training across four universities:
- University of Leeds
- University of Liverpool
- University of Manchester
- University of Sheffield
The CDT encourages significant advances which bring together social science with methods from computing, mathematics and the natural sciences.
The four-year programme includes an integrated MSc in Data Analytics over the first two years which will provide you with the foundation skills to complete your research project.
The CDT offers scholarships and training focused on:
- Promoting the creation and analysis of new longitudinal and streamed data resources for socio-economic investigations
- Creating new methods (eg scaling up existing methods for real-time big data analytics)
- Investigating social processes (eg virtualisation of retailing; data-driven decision making and social behaviours)
- Facilitating interventions (eg resource targeting, network planning, social media apps for diet, travel, lifestyle planning).
Find a PhD
Search for PhD opportunities at Sheffield and be part of our world-leading research.