Tier 4 Attendance

The University records the attendance of its students to ensure they are engaging in studies and to identify any who may be struggling and in need of further support.

Please see this webpage and the video below for more information about the University’s approach to attendance monitoring. You should also read your handbook to find out your department’s specific attendance monitoring processes and how to inform them if you are absent from studies.

Video:Attendance monitoring

Your attendance and the University’s Tier 4 Sponsor duties

If you have a Tier 4 visa please note that the University’s sponsorship of your visa is connected to your attendance on your course. As part of the University’s Tier 4 Sponsor obligations, as set by UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI), the University must record your attendance and is obligated to withdraw your visa sponsorship where there are sufficient consecutive absences as to meet UKVI’s threshold for action to be taken. This is 10 or more consecutive absences from your studies. Withdrawal of your Tier 4 sponsorship would result in withdrawal from the University.

To prevent this from occurring the University hopes to identify Tier 4 students who are at risk of withdrawal on the basis of non-attendance and provide an opportunity for them to demonstrate sufficient improvement in this area. Please see the process below for more detail.
Your responsibilities

Your responsibilities

You must ensure you are aware of your responsibilities in relation to attendance and your Tier 4 visa. They are:

  • To attend your studies regularly.
  • To ensure your attendance is recorded (for the modules where a record is taken). Not recording your attendance, or forgetting to do so, is not an adequate explanation for absences on your attendance record.
  • To inform your department of any absences. You should contact your department or read your handbook to check how they wish for you to inform them. You may need to submit a self-certification or an extenuating circumstances form. Long-term absences require a leave of absence form to be completed.
  • To inform your department of any ongoing issues or problems that are affecting your ability to attend your studies.
  • To check your emails regularly and respond to any correspondence regarding your attendance. It is your responsibility to reply within any relevant period.
  • To provide any supporting evidence regarding non-attendance where requested by International Student Support and within the period provided.

Tier 4 Student Attendance Policy

At various intervals during the academic year departments will provide central services with the student attendance data they have recorded. This attendance data is reviewed and any students whose attendance is of concern are passed to International Student Support. These are called ‘Attendance Review Periods’.

  • If your attendance record shows you are at risk of reaching UKVI’s threshold for consecutive absences you will receive a warning email. Following this email you should return to studies as soon as possible. No further action is required if you do so.
  • If your attendance record shows you have reached UKVI’s threshold for consecutive absences, or you are very close to reaching this, so you will receive an email requesting that you attend an appointment with a member of International Student Support. You must attend this appointment.
  • Actions following an appointment with International Student Support (as above) may include taking a leave of absence, informing your department of any extenuating circumstances, and significantly improving your attendance by the next ‘Attendance Review Period’.

Withdrawal for non-attendance

Please note that the University does not take withdrawing students on the basis of non-attendance lightly. In most cases a consideration for withdrawal will be communicated to you in advance of the final decision and you will be provided an opportunity to provide any relevant information and evidence as part of the decision-making process.

You would be considered for withdrawal if you were to show continued poor or non-attendance, having had an appointment with International Student Support at a previous ‘Attendance Review Period’. This also applies if you had an appointment earlier in the year, or in a previous session, but then have sufficient consecutive absences to hit UKVI’s threshold again.

Withdrawal may also occur if you were to have sufficient consecutive absences from studies, do not attend an appointment with International Student Support where required and do not contact them to provide a reason as to why you could not attend.

There may be exceptional cases where withdrawals on the basis on non-attendance fall outside of the general process detailed above.

English Language Teaching Centre

The English Language Teaching Centre have their own attendance monitoring processes. ELTC has their own thresholds for non-attendance and a separate procedure in cases where attendance is a concern. If you are studying in ELTC then the Tier 4 Student Attendance Policy detailed above does not apply to you. ELTC will contact you if your attendance becomes a concern and provide further instruction.

Study Abroad students

You are required to report to SSiD with your UCard for Attendance Monitoring on the 1st and 15th of every month (or as near as possible). This is to ensure that your attendance is recorded in the system where you may take a selection of modules for which attendance is not taken.

The policy as below applies to Study Abroad students with a Tier 4 visa as with other Tier 4 students.


How do I find out more about how my attendance is recorded?

Please check your programme handbook in the first instance. If you still have questions please contact your department directly and they will be able to provide more information.

Attendance can be monitored in a variety of ways and for a range of 'events'. These could include lectures, seminars, supervisor meetings and labs.  

What should I do if I think my attendance data is incorrect?

The attendance data is provided by your department. If you think there is an error please contact your department administrative office.

Who should I contact if I have an issue that is affecting my attendance?

You can speak to your personal tutor or a student support staff member within your department. You can also contact International Student Support who will be able to signpost you to relevant support services

The University provides many services to support students who may be struggling for a variety of reasons such as health, academic or financial. Please see Student Support Services website.