UK government Secure English Language Tests


From 6 April 2015, the UK government made changes to the list of qualifications it considers Secure English Language Tests (SELTs) for visa purposes. For qualifications completed on or after 6 April 2015, the following qualifications only are considered SELTs:

  • IELTS taken at UK government-approved test centres (IELTS for UKVI)
  • Trinity ISE taken inside the UK
  • Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic)
  • LanguageCert International ESOL

You can find more information about the policy on the UK Visas and Immigration web pages:

Applying for a UK visa: approved English language tests

The government allows universities to accept achievement in non-SELT qualifications as evidence of English language proficiency. The University of Sheffield accepts all the qualifications listed on our English language requirements webpages, including all IELTS qualifications, for direct entry to its undergraduate and postgraduate degree courses.

English language requirements for undergraduate applicants

English language requirements for postgraduate applicants

Students applying for courses offered by the University's English Language Teaching Centre (ELTC) or the University of Sheffield International College (USIC) are advised to contact the ELTC and USIC for information about English language requirements.

Information for ELTC applicants is also available on the following web page:

Entry levels for Summer School

A world top-100 university

We're a world top-100 university renowned for the excellence, impact and distinctiveness of our research-led learning and teaching.