Support and guidance for carers


The University of Sheffield is committed to supporting students with caring responsibilities access higher education. We firmly believe that being a carer should not prevent anyone from fulfilling their potential and achieving their goals.

We have a team of experts who work in partnership with other universities, colleges, schools, local authorities and charities to help aspiring students access a university education.

Students with caring responsibilities that choose to apply to the University of Sheffield, and declare their circumstances via our Access+ eligibility declaration, will receive additional consideration throughout the admissions process. If you're eligible for our Access+ scheme you may also be eligible for an alternative offer equivalent to one grade below the standard A Level requirements for your course.

Access Sheffield

Pre-application: Information and guidance

Whether you're just starting to think about higher education or seeking more information about what support is available for university students, we're here to help.

If you support a student with caring responsibilities in Y7-Y10, please contact the Higher Education Progression Partnership (Hepp), which works across the Sheffield City Region to encourage more young people to consider higher education opportunities by providing targeted activities for young carers.

All the outreach work that we do is supported by our Student Ambassadors, current University of Sheffield students who are carers. You can watch one of them speaking about her time as a student at Sheffield, and the help she received, in our video.

Visiting Sheffield

If you're intending to visit Sheffield for an open day we can arrange to meet with you. Get in touch to let us know when you're planning to attend. Alternatively, if you'd like to visit on a different day, we can arrange for one of our Student Ambassadors, who may have experienced similar circumstances, to meet you and take you on a tour of the campus. You can also speak to our dedicated contacts about applying to university. You're welcome to bring a relative, friend, supporter, guardian or social worker.

If you'd like to arrange a visit, please get in touch with our dedicated contacts, Sarah Adams and Lucy Scheinkonig:

We also offer a travel bursary which can help refund some of your costs:

Access Travel Bursary

Making your UCAS application

Our Applying Essentials guidance describes the process of applying to study with us:

Applying Essentials

We strongly encourage you to declare that you're a carer in your UCAS application, and to complete our Access+ eligibility declaration:

Access+ eligibility declaration

This means that our academic selectors will be aware of your circumstances, and will give your application additional consideration when we receive it, and when exam results are released. Depending on the qualifications you're taking, we may also be able to make you an alternative offer of one A Level grade below the standard entry requirements for your course, or the equivalent if you're taking other qualifications.

If you're concerned that you may not meet our standard or alternative course entry requirements due to issues of a social, personal or domestic nature, which could include your caring responsibilities and related circumstances, we'd also encourage you to provide more information via our Disrupted Studies scheme. This will help us to put your application into context and will further support our decision-making.

Disrupted Studies

For support with your UCAS application, Access+ eligibility declaration and/or Disrupted Studies notification, please contact Heather Macleod Jones, our Admissions Officer with responsibility for Access:
0114 222 1410

Financial and transition support

If you're a recognised carer you may be eligible for a University bursary. This money is yours to keep, you don't have to repay it and it won't affect your student finance.

University bursary for carers

We can also put you in contact with other local and national support services, including those which may offer additional financial support.

If you have any questions, an expert from our Financial Support Team will be happy to give you the advice you need.

Our Counselling Service can provide personal support, and we'd encourage you to make your department or Personal Tutor aware of your circumstances so they can offer academic support as necessary.

Our support for students with caring responsibiltiies

Explore the University

Discover why Sheffield is the right choice for you at one of our open days or events.