Experience Sheffield Scholarships
We're offering over 150 Experience Sheffield Scholarships worth £3,600 each for home and EU students starting their studies in September 2020. If you're eligible you'll be invited to apply once you receive an offer from us.
The text below describes the awards for 2020 scholarship, we'll update this for 2021 entry soon.
You must meet all of the criteria below to be eligible to apply:
- Have a household income of £50,000 or less. Home (non-EU) students must have this assessed by Student Finance England or equivalent funding agency.
- Received an academic offer to study a full-time, undergraduate course at the University of Sheffield starting in September 2020.
- Be eligible to pay the home rate of fees.
Applications are now closed.
All applicants will be contacted before the end of April 2020 regarding the outcome of their application.
Applications for 2021 entry will open later this year.
When assessing your application we will also take into account the following widening participation criteria:
- Have you entered the University through one of our outreach schemes?
- Have you come from a school/college that is performing below the UK’s national average?
- Are you the first person in your immediate family to go to university (other than siblings)?
- Have you been in care as a looked-after child for at least 13 weeks since the age of 14?
- Do you have a disability?
- Are you a carer for an ill or disabled family member?
- Are you from a black, Asian and minority ethnic group?
- Are you a female applying for a course in the Department of Economics or Faculty of Engineering?
- Are you a male applying for a course in the in the School of Nursing and Midwifery; Department of Human Communication Sciences; Department of Psychology; Department of Sociological Studies; the School of English, Department of Oncology and Metabolism or the School of Education.
- Do you come from one of the more deprived areas of the country as defined by the government's Indices of Multiple Deprivation (IMD) database? If your postcode IMD value is 16,250 or less, you meet this criteria. You can check your postcode ranking using the IMD website. Please note this criteria only applies to students who live in England.
- Do you come from an area where it is not usual for people to go to university? This is defined by the government's classification called POLAR. To meet this criteria your address must fall into quintile 1 or 2 of POLAR3 or POLAR4. Please note this information only covers the UK. You can check your eligibility for this criteria using the government's POLAR database.
To assess your eligibility for the two postcode criteria we'll use the home address you used on your UCAS form when you applied for your course.
If your application is successful, you will be required to provide a copy of your Student Finance Entitlement letter from Student Finance showing that you meet the relevant loan eligibility.
If you are an EU student and you are not eligible to receive a maintenance loan from Student Finance please contact the Financial Support Team (contact details below) to discuss the evidence you will need to provide to confirm your household income.
A selection panel consisting of senior academic and professional services staff will consider your scholarship application. When making their decision, the panel member will take into consideration the widening participation criteria you meet and also give regard to your answers within the application form.
About funding for the Experience Sheffield Scholarships
The money for these scholarships is provided by donations from generous people, organisations and companies that want to support students. Many of the donors are alumni (former students) of the University of Sheffield.
If you receive an Experience Sheffield Scholarship you may be invited to relevant events during your studies at Sheffield.
I'm not sure what my household income is, can I apply?
Yes, you are welcome to apply. However, if you are awarded the scholarship this will be conditional on you confirming your household income and providing evidence where necessary.
Can I apply for this scholarship and the Global Summer Experience Scholarship?
Yes, you can apply for both the Experience Sheffield Scholarship and the Global Summer Experience Scholarship. If your applications are successful you will be able to receive both awards too.
I'm an EU student, can I apply?
EU students who meet all of the criteria listed above are welcome to apply for an Experience Sheffield Scholarship.
Students from the EU, who are not eligible to receive a Maintenance Loan from Student Finance, will be asked to provide evidence to confirm their household income.
Can international students apply?
No, you need to be eligible to pay the home rate fees for your course to apply.
How will you check my household income?
If you have applied for a means-tested assessment by Student Finance, and give consent to share your information with us, we will be able to automatically confirm your household income.
If you are not eligible to apply for means-tested support from Student Finance please contact us to discuss what evidence you can provide to confirm your household income.
- Scholarships will be paid directly into your bank account in 2 instalments of £600 per level of study, for up to 3 years.
- As a scholarship recipient you will be closely involved with our fund raising work and you can help provide our donors with a greater understanding of what it is like to be a Sheffield student. At the end of each academic year you will be asked to provide a short report outlining the past year and how the scholarship has helped you.
- Successful recipients will be invited to attend an annual 'thank you' event at which you can meet donors and other scholarship recipients.
- We will not share any personal details about you with donors without your prior consent.
- If you withdraw from the University part of all of the scholarship may be repayable.
- If you take a period of leave of absence your scholarship may be suspended.
Financial Support Team
For specific questions about fees, bursaries, scholarships and financial support, get in touch: email@example.com