Your results

Informing us of your results

For all applicants, we require evidence of the qualifications upon which the offer of a place is based. If you're taking one of the following qualifications, and you'll complete your exams after you have applied to the University, UCAS should provide us with your results automatically.

  • A Levels
  • Scottish Highers
  • Irish Leaving Certificates
  • Most BTECs
  • The International Baccalaureate if you've given permission for your results to be shared with UCAS

Where UCAS don't provide us with your results, you'll need to supply them to us yourself by emailing If you have paper certificates/transcripts, please attach to your email high quality scanned colour copies or colour photographs. If your exam board offers an online qualifications verification service, please also grant the University of Sheffield access to this. If your exam board doesn't have an online verification service, we may ask them to send an official email confirming your qualifications to

If you supply your results yourself, we may ask you to present the original paper copies of your transcripts/certificates when you come to register at the University. We'll email you to let you know if we need you to do this.

Official translations into English

If any of your certificates or transcripts have been issued in a language other than English, you should include with them official, authenticated English translations. Official translations of qualifications documents are also a requirement of the UK government's visa regulations. The translation should be on official letter-headed paper, clearly state that it is an accurate translation of the original, and include all of the following pieces of information:

  • The translator or translation company's name and contact details
  • The translator or translation company's credentials or qualifications
  • The date of the translation
  • The translator's full name and signature, or the full name and signature of an authorised official from the translation company

The translation should be done by an official translator/translation service. We won't accept translations by agents unless the agency offers a recognised translation service and the translator can demonstrate appropriate credentials, for example NAATI, CATTI or NAETI. English language modules studied as part of the agent's degree course, for example TEM-4 or TEM-8, are not considered appropriate credentials.

Processing your results

If you narrowly fail to satisfy the academic conditions of our offer, we may still be able to confirm your place. This will depend on whether we have any places left on the course you've applied for, any extenuating circumstances that may have impacted on your studies, and whether we believe you're sufficiently prepared for the course.

If there are places remaining once the bulk of results have been received in August, your application will be reviewed by the Admissions Tutor in the light of your final results.

If you fail to satisfy the academic conditions of your offer and we can't confirm your place, or if you change your mind about the course you want to study at Sheffield, you have the option to search our vacancies and apply through Clearing.