Professor David James
Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering
Professor of Bioprocess Engineering
Research Centre Director Advanced Biomanufacturing Centre
+44 114 222 7505
Full contact details
Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering
Sir Robert Hadfield Building
I graduated in 1989 from King´s College London with a Ph.D. in Biochemistry, followed by postdoctoral research in Wye College (University of London), then the University of Kent; the latter a joint project with the Advanced Centre for Biochemical Engineering at University College London.
Following appointment to Lecturer, then Senior Lecturer at Kent, I moved to the University of Queensland in 2001 as an Associate Professor of Bioengineering, then Professorial Research Fellow in the Australian Institute of Bioengineering and Nanotechnology.
I was appointed to a Chair in Bioprocess Engineering at Sheffield in 2006 with a Royal Society Wolfson Research Merit Award, Research and Training in Biopharmaceutical Bioprocessing for UK Bioindustry.
- Research interests
- Production of high-value therapeutic recombinant protein biopharmaceuticals
- Systems Biotechnology for Rational Bioprocess Engineering
- Cell Factory and Gene Vector Engineering
- Process Analytical Technology
- Engineering Protein Folding and Secretion in Eukaryotic Cell Factories.
- Engineering Mammalian Cells for Recombinant Monoclonal Antibody Production. Springer Netherlands.
- Risk factors for SARS-CoV-2 seroprevalence following the first pandemic wave in UK healthcare workers in a large NHS Foundation Trust. Wellcome Open Research, 6, 220.
- Engineering of the CMV promoter for controlled expression of recombinant genes in HEK293 cells. Biotechnology Journal. View this article in WRRO
- Bioinformatic design of dendritic cell-specific synthetic promoters. ACS Synthetic Biology, 11(4), 1613-1626. View this article in WRRO
- High-throughput multiplex analysis of mAb aggregates and charge variants by automated two-dimensional size exclusion-cation exchange chromatography coupled to mass spectrometry. Journal of Chromatography A, 462944-462944.
- Risk factors for SARS-CoV-2 seroprevalence following the first pandemic wave in UK healthcare workers in a large NHS Foundation Trust. Wellcome Open Research, 6. View this article in WRRO
- Control of Multigene Expression Stoichiometry in Mammalian Cells Using Synthetic Promoters.. ACS Synth Biol.
- Design of synthetic promoters for controlled expression of therapeutic genes in retinal pigment epithelial cells. Biotechnology and Bioengineering. View this article in WRRO
- Cell function profiling to assess clone stability. Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 117(7), 2295-2299.
- A platform for context-specific genetic engineering of recombinant protein production by CHO cells. Journal of Biotechnology, 312, 11-22.
- Resveratrol addition to CHO cell culture media: The effect on cell growth, monoclonal antibody synthesis and its chemical modification. Biotechnology Progress. View this article in WRRO
- Screening naturally occurring phenolic antioxidants for their suitability as additives to CHO cell culture media used to produce monoclonal antibodies. Antioxidants, 8(6). View this article in WRRO
- Comparison of data acquisition methods for the identification and quantification of histone post‐translational modifications on a Q Exactive HF hybrid quadrupole Orbitrap mass spectrometer.. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry, 33(10), 897-906. View this article in WRRO
- CHO Genome Mining for Synthetic Promoter Design. Journal of Biotechnology. View this article in WRRO
- Whole synthetic pathway engineering of recombinant protein production. Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 116(2), 375-387. View this article in WRRO
- Control of amino acid transport into Chinese hamster ovary cells. Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 115(12), 2908-2929. View this article in WRRO
- Highly sensitive detection of mutations in CHO cell recombinant DNA using multi-parallel single molecule real-time DNA sequencing. Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 115(6), 1485-1498. View this article in WRRO
- Metabolic phenotyping of CHO cells varying in cellular biomass accumulation and maintenance during fed-batch culture. Biotechnol Bioeng, 115(3), 645-660. View this article in WRRO
- In silico design of context-responsive mammalian promoters with user-defined functionality. Nucleic Acids Research, 45(18), 10906-10919. View this article in WRRO
- High-throughput quantitation of Fc-containing recombinant proteins in cell culture supernatant by fluorescence polarization spectroscopy. Analytical Biochemistry, 534, 49-55.
- Transcriptome-based identification of the optimal reference CHO genes for normalisation of qPCR data. Biotechnology Journal. View this article in WRRO
- Constructing Strong Cell Type-Specific Promoters Through Informed Design, 131-145.
- Precision control of recombinant gene transcription for CHO cell synthetic biology. Biotechnology Advances, 34(5), 492-503.
- Importance of Interaction between Integrin and Actin Cytoskeleton in Suspension Adaptation of CHO cells. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology, 178(7), 1286-1302.
- Integrated cell and process engineering for improved transient production of a “difficult-to-express“ fusion protein by CHO cells. Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 112(12), 2527-2542.
- NF-κB, CRE and YY1 elements are key functional regulators of CMV promoter-driven transient gene expression in CHO cells. Biotechnology Journal, 10(7), 1019-1028.
- Synthetic promoters for CHO cell engineering.. Biotechnol Bioeng, 111(8), 1638-1647.
- A mechanistic dissection of polyethylenimine mediated transfection of CHO cells: to enhance the efficiency of recombinant DNA utilization.. Biotechnol Prog, 30(5), 1161-1170.
- Predicting the expression of recombinant monoclonal antibodies in Chinese hamster ovary cells based on sequence features of the CDR3 domain.. Biotechnol Prog, 30(1), 188-197.
- Model-directed engineering of "difficult-to-express" monoclonal antibody production by Chinese hamster ovary cells.. Biotechnol Bioeng, 111(2), 372-385.
- Block decoys: transcription-factor decoys designed for in vitro gene regulation studies.. Anal Biochem, 443(2), 205-210.
- CHO cell line specific prediction and control of recombinant monoclonal antibody N-glycosylation.. Biotechnol Bioeng, 110(11), 2970-2983.
- Functional heterogeneity and heritability in CHO cell populations.. Biotechnol Bioeng, 110(1), 260-274.
- Expression of a glycosylphosphatidylinositol-anchored ligand, growth hormone, blocks receptor signalling.. Biosci Rep, 32(6), 653-660. View this article in WRRO
- Cell line specific control of polyethylenimine-mediated transient transfection optimized with "Design of experiments" methodology.. Biotechnol Prog, 28(1), 179-187.
- Impact of gene vector design on the control of recombinant monoclonal antibody production by Chinese hamster ovary cells.. Biotechnol Prog, 27(6), 1689-1699.
- A mechanistic understanding of production instability in CHO cell lines expressing recombinant monoclonal antibodies.. Biotechnol Bioeng, 108(10), 2434-2446.
- An empirical modeling platform to evaluate the relative control discrete CHO cell synthetic processes exert over recombinant monoclonal antibody production process titer.. Biotechnol Bioeng, 108(9), 2193-2204.
- Cell line-specific control of recombinant monoclonal antibody production by CHO cells.. Biotechnol Bioeng, 106(6), 938-951.
- Systems biotechnology of mammalian cell factories.. Brief Funct Genomic Proteomic, 7(2), 95-110.
- Dynamic analysis of GS-NS0 cells producing a recombinant monoclonal antibody during fed-batch culture. BIOTECHNOL BIOENG, 97(2), 410-424.
- Transient Gene Expression Levels from Multigene Expression Vectors. Biotechnology Progress, 23(2), 435-443.
- Functional proteomic analysis of GS-NS0 murine myeloma cell lines with varying recombinant monoclonal antibody production rate. Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 94(5), 830-841.
- Monitoring changes in nisin susceptibility of Listeria monocytogenes Scott A as an indicator of growth phase using FACS. Journal of Microbiological Methods, 66(1), 43-55.
- On the statistical analysis of the GS-NS0 cell proteome: Imputation, clustering and variability testing. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - Proteins and Proteomics, 1764(7), 1179-1187.
- Control of Culture Environment for Improved Polyethylenimine-Mediated Transient Production of Recombinant Monoclonal Antibodies by CHO Cells. Biotechnology Progress, 22(3), 753-762.
- Proteomic analysis of enriched microsomal fractions from GS-NS0 murine myeloma cells with varying secreted recombinant monoclonal antibody productivities. PROTEOMICS, 5(18), 4689-4704.
- A platform for high-throughput molecular characterization of recombinant monoclonal antibodies. Journal of Chromatography B, 826(1-2), 177-187.
- Control of Recombinant Monoclonal Antibody Effector Functions by Fc N-Glycan Remodeling in Vitro. Biotechnology Progress, 21(6), 1644-1652.
- Engineering mammalian cell factories for improved recombinant monoclonal antibody production: lessons from nature?. Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 91(2), 180-189.
- Transient production of recombinant proteins by Chinese hamster ovary cells using polyethyleneimine/DNA complexes in combination with microtubule disrupting anti-mitotic agents. Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 88(6), 707-721.
- Comparative proteomic analysis of GS-NS0 murine myeloma cell lines with varying recombinant monoclonal antibody production rate. Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 88(4), 474-488.
- Global changes in gene expression observed at the transition from growth to stationary phase in Listeria monocytogenes ScottA batch culture. PROTEOMICS, 4(1), 123-135.
- Fatty acids as haptens: exploring the limits of antigenicity. Molecular Immunology, 40(6), 381-389.
- Evaluation of individual protein errors in silver-stained two-dimensional gels. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, 306(4), 1050-1055.
- Engineering mRNA Translation Initiation to Enhance Transient Gene Expression in Chinese Hamster Ovary Cells. Biotechnology Progress, 19(1), 121-129.
- Rapid monitoring of recombinant protein products: a comparison of current technologies. Trends in Biotechnology, 20(4), 149-156.
- Protein modification during anti-viral heat-treatment bioprocessing of factor VIII concentrates, factor IX concentrates, and model proteins in the presence of sucrose. Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 77(1), 37-48.
- Metabolic control of recombinant monoclonal antibodyN-glycosylation in GS-NS0 cells. Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 75(2), 239-251.
- Protein Modifications during Antiviral Heat Bioprocessing and Subsequent Storage. Biotechnology Progress, 17(5), 974-978.
- Metabolic control of recombinant proteinN-glycan processing in NS0 and CHO cells. Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 73(3), 188-202.
- Evaluation of protein modification during anti-viral heat bioprocessing by electrospray ionization mass spectrometry. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry, 15(5), 351-356.
- Mechanisms of protein modification during model anti-viral heat-treatment bioprocessing of β-lactoglobulin variant A in the presence of sucrose. Biotechnology and Applied Biochemistry, 32(2), 109-109.
- Metabolic control of recombinant monoclonal antibody N-glycosylation in GS-NS0 cells. GLYCOBIOLOGY, 10(10), 1108-1108.
- Protein modification during antiviral heat bioprocessing. Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 67(2), 177-188.
- Metabolic Engineering of Recombinant Protein Sialylation. Biochemical Society Transactions, 28(5), A259-A259.
- Constraints on the transport and glycosylation of recombinant IFN-? in Chinese hamster ovary and insect cells. Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 63(5), 559-572.
- Characterisation of glycated albumin using electrospray ionisation mass spectrometry. Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine, 37(SPEC. SUPPL.), S520-S520.
- Efficient Human IFN-gamma Expression in the Mammary Gland of Transgenic Mice. Journal of Interferon & Cytokine Research, 19(2), 137-144.
- Monitoring recombinant human interferon-gamma N-glycosylation during perfused fluidized-bed and stirred-tank batch culture of CHO cells. Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 60(5), 596-607.
- Review: The Glycosylation Heterogeneity of Recombinant Human IFN-γ. Journal of Interferon & Cytokine Research, 18(5), 287-295.
- Real-time monitoring of recombinant protein concentration in animal cell cultures using an optical biosensor. Genetic Engineer and Biotechnologist, 17(2-3), 69-74.
- . Cytotechnology, 23(1/3), 103-111.
- Getting the glycosylation right: Implications for the biotechnology industry. Nature Biotechnology, 14(8), 975-981.
- Posttranslational processing of recombinant human interferon-γ in animal expression systems. Protein Science, 5(2), 331-340.
- Analysis of recombinat glycoproteins by mass spectrometry. Cytotechnology, 22(1-3), 17-24.
- N-glycans of recombinant human interferon-? change during batch culture of chinese hamster ovary cells. Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 48(6), 639-648.
- N-Glycosylation of Recombinant Human Interferon-γ Produced in Different Animal Expression Systems. Nature Biotechnology, 13(6), 592-596.
- High-Resolution Separation of Recombinant Human Interferon-γ Glycoforms by Micellar Electrokinetic Capillary Chromatography. Analytical Biochemistry, 222(2), 315-322.
- PURIFICATION AND CHARACTERIZATION OF A NITRILASE FROM BRASSICA-NAPUS. PHYSIOLOGIA PLANTARUM, 89(4), 811-816.
- DEVELOPMENT AND CHARACTERISTICS OF MYROSINASE IN BRASSICA-NAPUS DURING EARLY SEEDLING GROWTH. PHYSIOLOGIA PLANTARUM, 82(2), 163-170.
- Biosynthesis of (R)-2-hydroxybut-3-enylglucosinolate (progoitrin) from [3,4-3H]but-3-enylglucosinolate in Brassica napus. Journal of the Chemical Society, Perkin Transactions 1(7), 1909-1909.
- BIOSYNTHESIS OF R-2 HYDROXYBUT-3-ENYLGLUCOSINOLATE PROGOITRIN FROM 3 4 TRITIATED BUT-3-ENYLGLUCOSINOLATE IN BRASSICA-NAPUS. Journal of the Chemical Society Perkin Transactions I(7), 1909-1914.
- Biosynthesis of 2-hydroxy-3-butenylglucosinolate and 3-butenylglucosinolate in Brassica napus. Phytochemistry, 29(8), 2509-2512.
- Risk factors for SARS-CoV-2 seroprevalence following the first pandemic wave in UK healthcare workers in a large NHS Foundation Trust. Wellcome Open Research, 6, 220-220.
- ACE2-Independent Interaction of SARS-CoV-2 Spike Protein with Human Epithelial Cells Is Inhibited by Unfractionated Heparin. Cells, 10(6), 1419-1419.
- Production of Trimeric SARS‐CoV‐2 Spike Protein by CHO Cells for Serological COVID‐19 Testing. Biotechnology and Bioengineering.
- The use of catechins in Chinese hamster ovary cell media for the improvement of monoclonal antibody yields and a reduction of acidic species. Biotechnology Progress.
- On the Effect of Transient Expression of Mutated eIF2α and eIF4E Eukaryotic Translation Initiation Factors on Reporter Gene Expression in Mammalian Cells Upon Cold-Shock. Molecular Biotechnology, 34(2), 141-150.
- On the Optimal Ratio of Heavy to Light Chain Genes for Efficient Recombinant Antibody Production by CHO Cells. Biotechnology Progress, 21(1), 122-133.
- Analysis of Glycoprotein Heterogeneity by Capillary Electrophoresis and Mass Spectrometry. Molecular Biotechnology, 14(3), 241-249.
- Monitoring Recombinant Glycoprotein Heterogeneity, 277-288.
- Engineering protein folding and secretion in eukaryotic cell factories, Comprehensive Biotechnology (pp. 405-412).
- Protein Therapeutics Wiley-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA
- Engineering Protein Folding and Secretion in Eukaryotic Cell Factories, Comprehensive Biotechnology (pp. 419-426). Elsevier
- 1.29 Engineering Protein Folding and Secretion in Eukaryotic Cell Factories, Comprehensive Biotechnology (pp. 405-412).
- Analysis of Glycoprotein Heterogeneity by Capillary Electrophoresis and Mass Spectrometry, Springer Protocols Handbooks (pp. 1335-1346). Humana Press
- Glycosylation of Recombinant Proteins, Encyclopedia of Bioprocess Technology
- High Resolution Glycoform Analysis of Recombinant Human Interferon-Gamma During Batch Cultures of Chinese Hamster Ovary Cells, Animal Cell Technology: Basic & Applied Aspects (pp. 315-321). Springer Netherlands
- Expression Systems for Recombinant Biopharmaceutical Production by Mammalian Cells in Culture, Methods and Principles in Medicinal Chemistry (pp. 423-467). Wiley-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA
- Characterization of Therapeutic Proteins by Membrane and In-Gel Tryptic Digestion, Therapeutic Proteins (pp. 375-380). Humana Press
- Sample Preparation Procedures for High-Resolution Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Studies of Aqueous and Stabilized Solutions of Therapeutic Peptides, Therapeutic Proteins (pp. 461-470). Humana Press
- The impact of cooking on protein antigenicity, Food Allergy and Intolerance (pp. 150-161). Royal Society of Chemistry
Conference proceedings papers
- Proteomic Profiling Of Two-Dimensional Gel Electrophoresis Protein Expression Data. AIP Conference Proceedings
- How can thermal processing modify the antigenicity of proteins?. Allergy, Vol. 56(s67) (pp 56-60)
- Control of therapeutic monoclonal antibody glycosylation. ANIMAL CELL TECHNOLOGY: PRODUCTS FROM CELLS, CELLS AS PRODUCTS (pp 255-257)
- Resolution glycoform analysis of recombinant human interferon-gamma during batch cultures of Chinese hamster ovary cells. ANIMAL CELL TECHNOLOGY: BASIC & APPLIED ASPECTS, VOL 8 (pp 315-321)
- Control of Interferon-Gamma Glycosylation by the Addition of Defined Lipid Supplements to Batch Cultures of Recombinant Chinese Hamster Ovary Cells (pp 339-345)
- Epitope Determination for Antibodies Raised Against Recombinant Human Interferon-Gamma (pp 277-282)
- A COMPARISON OF 2 ELECTROPHORETIC METHODS FOR ANALYSING RECOMBINANT PROTEIN GLYCOFORMS. 1995 ICHEME RESEARCH EVENT - FIRST EUROPEAN CONFERENCE FOR YOUNG RESEARCHERS IN CHEMICAL ENGINEERING, VOLS 1 AND 2 (pp 896-898)
- The Functional Competence of Animal Cells: Anal Ysis of the Secretory Pathway (pp 71-74)
- Optimisation of PEI-Mediated Transient Expression in Chinese Hamster Ovary Cells (pp 655-657)
- Metabolic Engineering of Recombinant Plasminogen Sialylation in Animal Cells by Tetracycline-Regulated Expression of Murine CMP-NeuAc Synthetase and Hamster CMP-NeuAc Transporter Genes (pp 263-265)
- In silico design of mammalian promoters with user-defined functionality. WO 2018/193072 A1 Appl. 25 Oct 2018.
- Synthetic promoters for CHO cells, methods of producing synthetic promoters using transcription factor binding site modules. WO2015079053-A2; WO2015079053-A3 Appl. 08 Oct 2015.
- Regulating recombinant gene expression in vitro comprises providing a host cell encoding recombinant genes for expression, and contacting the cell with an exonuclease resistant block decoy. WO2014202640-A1 Appl. 24 Dec 2014.
- Predicting relative production titer of a panel of clonal producer cells in fed batch culture by simultaneously incubating each producer cell with a chemical cell stressor and determining the production titer response of each cell. EP2902493-A1; WO2015113704-A1 Appl. 01 Jan 1970.
- Method for determining e.g. cell identity of mammalian producer of user, involves comparing query cell-specific growth response fingerprint with reference cell-specific growth response fingerprints corresponding to cells. WO2014207166-A1 Appl. 01 Jan 1970.
Theses / Dissertations
- Teaching activities
CPE412 – Molecular Biotechnology