Professor Kalina Bontcheva
Department of Computer Science
Professor of Text Analysis
Head of Natural Language Processing (NLP) research group
+44 114 222 1930
Full contact details
Department of Computer Science
Regent Court (DCS)
Professor Kalina Bontcheva is a senior researcher in the Natural Language Processing Group. From October 2015 she has been working on an EPSRC Career Acceleration Felllowship on summarisation of social media.
- Research interests
Professor Kalina Bontcheva is working on NLP for social media, semantic search, GATE, crowdsourcing of NLP corpora, and collaborative text annotation. She is demos co-chair at ACL'2014 and helped co-organise the biannual conference "Recent Advances in Natural Language Processing".
Professor Bontcheva led the PHEME EU project on computing veracity of social media content. She is also the PI of the TrendMiner and DecarboNet European projects, and a Co-I of the uComp project. Earlier in 2013 she completed leading the JISC-funded EnviLOD project.
Between 2006 and 2009 she was the Principal Investigator (PI) on 3 EU-funded projects (MUSING, TAO, and ServiceFinder) and the co-ordinator of the TAO consortium, which involved 7 partner institutions.
Between 2004 and 2006 Professor Bontcheva was Sheffield's technical project manager and researcher on the SEKT Integrated Project. Before that, she was Sheffield's technical manager and researcher on the MIAKT e-science project and also contributed to the AKT project. She has been working on Sheffield's GATE open-source NLP infrastructure since 1999.
- Natural Language Processing for the Semantic Web. Morgan & Claypool Publishers.
- Text Processing with Gate (Version 6). GATE.
- Mental health-related conversations on social media and crisis episodes : a time-series regression analysis. Scientific Reports, 10(1). View this article in WRRO
- Which politicians receive abuse? Four factors illuminated in the UK general election 2019. EPJ Data Science, 9. View this article in WRRO
- The evolution of argumentation mining : from models to social media and emerging tools. Information Processing & Management, 56(6). View this article in WRRO
- Rumour verification through recurring information and an inner-attention mechanism. Online Social Networks and Media, 13. View this article in WRRO
- Gaussian Processes for Rumour Stance Classification in Social Media. ACM Transactions on Information Systems, 37(2), 1-24. View this article in WRRO
- Gaussian Processes for Rumour Stance Classification in Social Media.. ACM Trans. Inf. Syst., 37, 20:1-20:1.
- Detection and Resolution of Rumours in Social Media: A Survey.. ACM Computing Surveys, 51(2). View this article in WRRO
- Discourse-Aware Rumour Stance Classification in Social Media Using Sequential Classifiers.. Information Processing & Management, 54(2), 273-290. View this article in WRRO
- Semantic Web and Human Computation: The status of an emerging field. Semantic Web, 9(3), 291-302. View this article in WRRO
- Generalisation in named entity recognition: A quantitative analysis. Computer Speech and Language, 44, 61-83. View this article in WRRO
- Sub-story detection in Twitter with hierarchical Dirichlet processes. Information Processing & Management, 53(4), 989-1003. View this article in WRRO
- A framework for real-time semantic social media analysis. Journal of Web Semantics, 44, 75-88. View this article in WRRO
- Overview of the Special Issue on Trust and Veracity of Information in Social Media. ACM Transactions on Information Systems, 34(3), 1-5.
- Classifying Twitter favorites: Like, bookmark, or Thanks?. Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology, 67(1), 17-25. View this article in WRRO
- Estimating collective judgement of rumours in social media.. CoRR, abs/1506.00468.
- Analysis of named entity recognition and linking for tweets. Information Processing & Management, 51(2), 32-49. View this article in WRRO
- Mímir: An open-source semantic search framework for interactive information seeking and discovery. Journal of Web Semantics, 30, 52-68.
- GATE Teamware: A web-based, collaborative text annotation framework. Language Resources and Evaluation, 47(4), 1007-1029. View this article in WRRO
- Making sense of social media streams through semantics: a Survey. Semantic Web Journal.
- Improving habitability of natural language interfaces for querying ontologies with feedback and clarification dialogues. Journal of Web Semantics, 19, 1-21.
- View this article in WRRO Getting More out of Biomedical Documents with GATE's Full Lifecycle Open Source Text Analytics.. PLoS Computational Biology.
- View this article in WRRO GATECloud.net: a Platform for Large-Scale, Open-Source Text Processing on the Cloud. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A. Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences.
- Transition of legacy systems to semantically enabled applications: TAO method and tools. Semantic Web, 3(2).
- Semantic Analysis of Textual Input, 61-78.
- Human language technologies, 37-49.
- Natural language generation from ontologies, 113-127.
- Adapting SVM for data sparseness and imbalance: A case study in information extraction. Natural Language Engineering, 15(2), 241-271.
- Adapting support vector machines for f-term-based classification of patents. ACM Transactions on Asian Language Information Processing, 7(2).
- Service-finder: Web scale semantic discovery. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, 367.
- Semantic Information Access, 139-169.
- Computational Language Systems: Architectures, 733-752.
- Tailoring automatically generated hypertext. USER MODEL USER-ADAP, 15(1), 135-168.
- Next generation knowledge access. Journal of Knowledge Management, 9(5), 64-84.
- Knowledge management and human language: Crossing the chasm. Journal of Knowledge Management, 9(5), 108-131.
- Emerging language technologies and the rediscovery of the past: a research agenda.. Int. J. on Digital Libraries, 5, 309-316.
- Corpus Linguistics and South Asian Languages: Corpus Creation and Tool Development.. LLC, 19, 509-524.
- Evolving GATE to meet new challenges in language engineering. Natural Language Engineering, 10(3-4), 349-373.
- Architectural Elements of Language Engineering Robustness. Journal of Natural Language Engineering, 8(2-3), 257-274.
- Understanding Human Preferences for Summary Designs in Online Debates Domain. Polibits, 54, 79-85. View this article in WRRO
- Semantic Enrichment and Search: A Case Study on Environmental Science Literature. D-Lib Magazine, 21(1/2).
- View this article in WRRO Partisanship, Propaganda and Post-Truth Politics: Quantifying Impact in Online Debate. Journal of Web Science 2019(7).
- View this article in WRRO RumourEval 2019: Determining Rumour Veracity and Support for Rumours.
- Transition of Legacy Systems to Semantically Enabled Applications: TAO Method and Tools. Semantic Web Journal.
- Linguistic Analysis Model for Monitoring User Reaction on Satirical News for Brazilian Portuguese, Lecture Notes in Computer Science (pp. 313-320). Springer International Publishing
- Collaborative Web-Based Tools for Multi-layer Text Annotation, Handbook of Linguistic Annotation (pp. 229-256). Springer Netherlands
- Extracting Information from Social Media with GATE, Working with Text (pp. 133-158). Elsevier
- GATE: An Open-source NLP Toolkit for Mining Social Media, The SAGE Handbook of Social Media Research Methods (pp. 499-511). SAGE Publications Ltd
- Contributors, Working with Text (pp. ix-x). Elsevier
- Preface In Bontcheva K, Ricci F, Conlan O & Lawless S (Ed.), User Modeling, Adaptation and Personalization (pp. V-VI). Springer International Publishing
- Natural language processing, Perspectives on Ontology Learning (pp. 51-67).
- Summarization of UGC, Mining User Generated Content (pp. 259-287).
- Learning Ontologies from Software Artifacts: Exploring and Combining Multiple Choices, Semantic Web Enabled Software Engineering (pp. 235-250).
- Semantic search over documents and ontologies (pp. 31-53).
- Crowdsourcing Named Entity Recognition and Entity Linking Corpora, The Handbook of Linguistic Annotation (Nancy Ide and James Pustejovsky, eds) Berlin: Springer
- Semantic Annotations and Retrieval: Manual, Semiautomatic, and Automatic Generation, Handbook of Semantic Web Technologies (pp. 77-116). Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Towards Enhanced Usability of Natural Language Interfaces to Knowledge Bases. In Devedzic V & Gasevic D (Ed.), Web 2.0 & Semantic Web (pp. 105-133). Springer
- Indexing and querying linguistic metadata and document content, Recent Advances in Natural Language Processing IV (pp. 35-44). John Benjamins Publishing Company
- Semantic Annotation and Human Language Technology In Davies J, Studer R & Warren P (Ed.), Semantic Web Technology: Trends and Research John Wiley and Sons
Conference proceedings papers
- WeVerify: Wider and Enhanced Verification for You - Project Overview and Tool Demonstration. Proceedings of the Conference for Truth and Trust Online 2019
- Predicting News Source Credibility. Proceedings of the Conference for Truth and Trust Online 2019
- Team Bertha von Suttner at SemEval-2019 Task 4: Hyperpartisan News Detection using ELMo Sentence Representation Convolutional Network. Proceedings of the 13th International Workshop on Semantic Evaluation, June 2019 - June 2019.
- View this article in WRRO Team Bertha von Suttner at SemEval-2019 Task 4: Hyperpartisan News Detection using ELMo Sentence Representation Convolutional Network. Proceedings of the 13th International Workshop on Semantic Evaluation. Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA, 6 June 2019 - 7 June 2019.
- SemEval-2019 Task 7: RumourEval, Determining Rumour Veracity and Support for Rumours. Proceedings of the 13th International Workshop on Semantic Evaluation, June 2019 - June 2019.
- Journalist-in-the-Loop: Continuous Learning as a Service for Rumour Analysis. Proceedings of the 2019 Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing and the 9th International Joint Conference on Natural Language Processing (EMNLP-IJCNLP): System Demonstrations, November 2019 - November 2019.
- Credibility and Transparency of News Sources: Data Collection and Feature Analysis. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, Vol. 2411
- eTranslation’s Submissions to the WMT 2019 News Translation Task. Proceedings of the Fourth Conference on Machine Translation (Volume 2: Shared Task Papers, Day 1), August 2019 - August 2019.
- Front Matter (pp i-iii)
- View this article in WRRO Investigating stability and reliability of crowdsourcing output. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, Vol. 2276 (pp 83-87), 5 July 2018 - 5 July 2018.
- Quantifying Media Influence and Partisan Attention on Twitter During the UK EU Referendum.. Social Informatics, Vol. 11185 LNCS (pp 274-290), 25 September 2018 - 28 September 2018. View this article in WRRO
- View this article in WRRO Helping crisis responders find the informative needle in the tweet haystack. Proceedings of the 15th ISCRAM Conference (pp 649-662). Rochester, NY, USA, 20 May 2018 - 23 May 2018.
- SoBigData. Companion of the The Web Conference 2018 on The Web Conference 2018 - WWW '18, 23 April 2018 - 27 April 2018.
- 2nd International Workshop on Rumours and Deception in Social Media: Preface.. CIKM Workshops, Vol. 2482
- The Semantic Web - ISWC 2018 - 17th International Semantic Web Conference, Monterey, CA, USA, October 8-12, 2018, Proceedings, Part II. International Semantic Web Conference (2), Vol. 11137
- The Semantic Web - ISWC 2018 - 17th International Semantic Web Conference, Monterey, CA, USA, October 8-12, 2018, Proceedings, Part I. International Semantic Web Conference (1), Vol. 11136
- View this article in WRRO Argumentation Mining: Exploiting Multiple Sources and Background Knowledge.. Proceedings of the 12th South - East European Doctoral Student Conference (pp 66-74), 9 May 2018 - 11 May 2018.
- Can Rumour Stance Alone Predict Veracity?. COLING (pp 3360-3370)
- View this article in WRRO Twits, twats and twaddle: Trends in online abuse towards UK politicians. 12th International AAAI Conference on Web and Social Media, ICWSM 2018 (pp 600-603)
- SoBigData: Social Mining & Big Data Ecosystem.. WWW (Companion Volume) (pp 437-438)
- Automatic Summarization of Online Debates. Proceedings of the 1st Workshop on Natural Language Processing and Information Retrieval associated with RANLP 2017 (pp 19-27). Varna, Bulgaria, 7 September 2017 - 7 September 2017. View this article in WRRO
- View this article in WRRO SemEval-2017 Task 8: RumourEval: Determining rumour veracity and support for rumours. Proceedings of the 11th International Workshop on Semantic Evaluation (SemEval-2017) (pp 69-76)
- Longitudinal Modeling of Social Media with Hawkes Process Based on Users and Networks. Proceedings of the 2017 IEEE/ACM International Conference on Advances in Social Networks Analysis and Mining 2017 - ASONAM '17, 31 July 2017 - 3 August 2017.
- Hyperlocal home location identification of Twitter profiles. HT 2017 - Proceedings of the 28th ACM Conference on Hypertext and Social Media (pp 45-54) View this article in WRRO
- Gold Standard Online Debates Summaries and First Experiments Towards Automatic Summarization of Online Debate Data.. CICLing (2), Vol. 10762 (pp 495-505)
- SemEval-2017 Task 8: RumourEval: Determining rumour veracity and support for rumours.. SemEval@ACL (pp 69-76)
- Stance Classification in Out-of-Domain Rumours: A Case Study Around Mental Health Disorders (pp 53-64)
- Stance Detection with Bidirectional Conditional Encoding. Proceedings of the 2016 Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing (pp 876-885), 1 November 2016 - 5 November 2016. View this article in WRRO
- View this article in WRRO Challenges of Evaluating Sentiment Analysis Tools on Social Media. Proceedings of the Tenth International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation, 23 May 2016 - 28 May 2016.
- User profiling with geo-located posts and demographic data. Proceedings of the First Workshop on NLP and Computational Social Science, November 2016 - November 2016.
- Broad twitter corpus: A diverse named entity recognition resource. COLING 2016 - 26th International Conference on Computational Linguistics, Proceedings of COLING 2016: Technical Papers (pp 1169-1179)
- Monolingual social media datasets for detecting contradiction and entailment. Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation, LREC 2016 (pp 4602-4605)
- USFD at SemEval-2016 Task 6: Any-Target Stance Detection on Twitter with Autoencoders. Proceedings of the 10th International Workshop on Semantic Evaluation (SemEval-2016), June 2016 - June 2016.
- Hawkes Processes for Continuous Time Sequence Classification: an Application to Rumour Stance Classification in Twitter. Proceedings of the 54th Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics (Volume 2: Short Papers), August 2016 - August 2016.
- Real-time Social Media Analytics through Semantic Annotation and Linked Open Data. Proceedings of the ACM Web Science Conference on ZZZ - WebSci '15, 28 June 2015 - 1 July 2015.
- Crowdsourcing the annotation of rumourous conversations in social media. WWW '15 Companion Proceedings of the 24th International Conference on World Wide Web (pp 347-353), 18 May 2015 - 22 May 2015.
- View this article in WRRO Towards detecting rumours in social media. AAAI Workshop - Technical Report, Vol. WS-15-04 (pp 35-41)
- Point Process Modelling of Rumour Dynamics in Social Media. Proceedings of the 53rd Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics and the 7th International Joint Conference on Natural Language Processing (Volume 2: Short Papers), July 2015 - July 2015.
- Understanding climate change tweets: an open source toolkit for social media analysis. Proceedings of EnviroInfo and ICT for Sustainability 2015, 7 September 2015 - 9 September 2015.
- USFD: Twitter NER with Drift Compensation and Linked Data.. NUT@IJCNLP (pp 48-53)
- Towards Detecting Rumours in Social Media.. AAAI Workshop: AI for Cities, Vol. WS-15-04
- Topic models and n-gram language models for author profiling. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, Vol. 1391
- Topic models and n-gram language models for author profiling. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, Vol. 1391
- View this article in WRRO Efficient named entity annotation through pre-empting. International Conference Recent Advances in Natural Language Processing, RANLP, Vol. 2015-January (pp 123-130)
- Recent Advances in Natural Language Processing, RANLP 2015, 7-9 September, 2015, Hissar, Bulgaria. RANLP
- Modeling Tweet Arrival Times using Log-Gaussian Cox Processes. Proceedings of the 2015 Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing, September 2015 - September 2015.
- Topic Models and n-gram Language Models for Author Profiling - Notebook for PAN at CLEF 2015.. CLEF (Working Notes), Vol. 1391
- ResToRinG CaPitaLiZaTion in #TweeTs. Proceedings of the 24th International Conference on World Wide Web - WWW '15 Companion, 18 May 2015 - 22 May 2015.
- A Human-annotated Dataset for Evaluating Tweet Ranking Algorithms. Proceedings of the 26th ACM Conference on Hypertext & Social Media - HT '15, 1 September 2015 - 4 September 2015.
- Using @Twitter Conventions to Improve #LOD-Based Named Entity Disambiguation (pp 171-186)
- User Modeling, Adaptation and Personalization
- Classifying Tweet Level Judgements of Rumours in Social Media. Proceedings of the 2015 Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing, September 2015 - September 2015. View this article in WRRO
- User profile modelling in online communities. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, Vol. 1275 (pp 35-48)
- PHEME: Veracity in digital social networks. CEUR Workshop Proceedings, Vol. 1181 (pp 19-22)
- View this article in WRRO The GATE Crowdsourcing Plugin: Crowdsourcing Annotated Corpora Made Easy. Proceedings of the European chapter of the Association of Computational Linguistics. ACL
- Passive-Aggressive Sequence Labeling with Discriminative Post-Editing for Recognising Person Entities in Tweets. Proceedings of the European chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics. ACL
- Corpus Annotation through Crowdsourcing: Towards Best Practice Guidelines. Proceedings of the International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation. ELRA
- Twitter Part-of-Speech Tagging for All: Overcoming Sparse and Noisy Data. Proceedings of the International Conference on Recent Advances in Natural Language Processing
- AnnoMarket: An Open Cloud Platform for NLP. Proceedings of the 51st Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics: System Demonstrations (pp 19-24)
- Where’s@ wally? A Classification Approach to Geolocating Users Based on their Social Ties. Proceedings of the 24th ACM Conference on Hypertext and Social Media (pp 11-20)
- Reliably evaluating summaries of twitter timelines. AAAI 2013 Spring Symposium on Analyzing Microtext. Stanford
- Recent Advances in Natural Language Processing, RANLP 2013, 9-11 September, 2013, Hissar, Bulgaria. RANLP
- Games with a purpose or mechanised labour? A comparative study. ACM International Conference Proceeding Series
- Recognising and interpreting named temporal expressions. International Conference Recent Advances in Natural Language Processing, RANLP (pp 113-121)
- TwitIE: An Open-Source Information Extraction Pipeline for Microblog Text. Proceedings of the International Conference on Recent Advances in Natural Language Processing
- Microblog-genre noise and impact on semantic annotation accuracy. HT 2013 - Proceedings of the 24th ACM Conference on Hypertext and Social Media (pp 21-30)
- Named entity disambiguation using linked data. 9th Extended Semantic Web Conference (ESWC2012)
- Crowdsourcing research opportunities: lessons from natural language processing.. I-KNOW (pp 17-17)
- Reputation Profiling with GATE.. CLEF (Online Working Notes/Labs/Workshop), Vol. 1178
- Recent Advances in Natural Language Processing, RANLP 2011, 12-14 September, 2011, Hissar, Bulgaria. RANLP
- Ontology-Based Categorization of Web Services with Machine Learning.. LREC
- CA manager framework: creating customised workflows for ontology population and semantic annotation.. K-CAP (pp 177-178)
- RoundTrip Ontology Authoring (pp 50-65)
- A natural language query interface to structured information. SEMANTIC WEB: RESEARCH AND APPLICATIONS, PROCEEDINGS, Vol. 5021 (pp 361-375)
- A Text-based Query Interface to OWL Ontologies.. LREC
- COLING 2008, 22nd International Conference on Computational Linguistics, Demo Proceedings, 18-22 August 2008, Manchester, UK. COLING (Demos)
- Proceedings of the First International Workshop on Ontology-supported Business Intelligence, OBI 2008, Karlsruhe, Germany, October 27, 2008. OBI, Vol. 308
- Opinion analysis for business intelligence applications.. OBI, Vol. 308 (pp 3-3)
- Large-scale, parallel automatic patent annotation.. PaIR (pp 1-8)
- RoundTrip Ontology Authoring. SEMANTIC WEB - ISWC 2008, Vol. 5318 (pp 50-65)
- CLOnE: Controlled language for ontology editing. SEMANTIC WEB, PROCEEDINGS, Vol. 4825 (pp 142-155)
- SVM Based Learning System for F-term Patent Classification.. NTCIR
- Experiments of Opinion Analysis on the Corpora MPQA and NTCIR-6.. NTCIR
- Hierarchical, perceptron-like learning for ontology-based information extraction.. WWW (pp 777-786)
- Ontology-based information extraction for business intelligence. SEMANTIC WEB, PROCEEDINGS, Vol. 4825 (pp 843-856)
- Natural language technology for information integration in business intelligence. BUSINESS INFORMATION SYSTEMS, PROCEEDINGS, Vol. 4439 (pp 366-380)
- User-friendly ontology authoring using a controlled language. Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation, LREC 2006 (pp 35-40)
- Creating tools for morphological analysis of sumerian. Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation, LREC 2006 (pp 1762-1765)
- Automatic extraction of hierarchical relations from text. SEMANTIC WEB: RESEARCH AND APPLICATIONS, PROCEEDINGS, Vol. 4011 (pp 215-229)
- Mining information for instance unification. Semantic Web - ISEC 2006, Proceedings, Vol. 4273 (pp 329-342)
- Perceptron Learning for Chinese Word Segmentation.. SIGHAN@IJCNLP 2005
- Using uneven margins SVM and Perceptron for information extraction. CoNLL 2005 - Proceedings of the Ninth Conference on Computational Natural Language Learning (pp 72-79)
- Indexing and querying linguistic metadata and document content. International Conference Recent Advances in Natural Language Processing, RANLP, Vol. 2005-January (pp 74-81)
- SVM based learning system for information extraction. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics), Vol. 3635 LNAI (pp 319-339)
- Generating tailored textual summaries from ontologies. SEMANTIC WEB: RESEARCH AND APPLICATIONS, PROCEEDINGS, Vol. 3532 (pp 531-545)
- SVM based learning system for Information Extraction. DETERMINISTIC AND STATISTICAL METHODS IN MACHINE LEARNING, Vol. 3635 (pp 319-339)
- Extracting a domain ontology from linguistic resource based on relatedness measurements. 2005 IEEE/WIC/ACM International Conference on Web Intelligence, Proceedings (pp 345-351)
- Multimedia indexing through multi-source and multi-language information extraction: the MUMIS project. DATA & KNOWLEDGE ENGINEERING, Vol. 48(2) (pp 247-264)
- Open-source Tools for Creation, Maintenance, and Storage of Lexical Resources for Language Generation from Ontologies.. LREC
- Automatic Language-Independent Induction of Gazetteer Lists.. LREC
- Large Scale Experiments for Semantic Labeling of Noun Phrases in Raw Text.. LREC
- Web Services Architecture for Language Resources. Fourth International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC’2004). Lisbon, Portugal
- A lightweight approach to coreference resolution for named entities in text. Anaphora Processing, Vol. 263 (pp 97-111)
- Examining the use of conceptual graphs in adaptive web-based systems that aid terminology learning.. International Journal on Artificial Intelligence Tools, Vol. 13 (pp 299-331)
- Recent Advances in Natural Language Processing III, Selected Papers from RANLP 2003, Borovets, Bulgaria. RANLP, Vol. 260
- Automatic report generation from ontologies: the MIAKT approach. NATURAL LANGUAGE PROCESSING AND INFORMATION SYSTEMS, Vol. 3136 (pp 324-335)
- Reuse and challenges in evaluating language generation systems. Proceedings of the EACL 2003 Workshop on Evaluation Initiatives in Natural Language Processing are evaluation methods, metrics and resources reusable? - Evalinitiatives '03, 14 April 2003 - 14 April 2003.
- Experiments with geographic knowledge for information extraction. Proceedings of the HLT-NAACL 2003 workshop on Analysis of geographic references -, 31 May 2003.
- OLLIE. Proceedings of the HLT-NAACL 2003 workshop on Software engineering and architecture of language technology systems - SEALTS '03, 31 May 2003 - 31 May 2003.
- GATE: A Unicode-based Infrastructure Supporting Multilingual Information Extraction. Proceedings of Workshop on Information Extraction for Slavonic and other Central and Eastern European Languages (IESL’03). Borovets, Bulgaria
- Rapid customization of an information extraction system for a surprise language.. ACM Trans. Asian Lang. Inf. Process., Vol. 2 (pp 295-300)
- Multilingual adaptations of a reusable information extraction tool.. EACL (pp 219-222)
- Robust Generic and Query-based Summarization.. EACL (pp 235-238)
- The use of conceptual graphs for interactive student modelling and adaptive Web explanations. KNOWLEDGE-BASED INTELLIGENT INFORMATION AND ENGINEERING SYSTEMS, PT 2, PROCEEDINGS, Vol. 2774 (pp 230-237)
- GATE: A Framework and Graphical Development Environment for Robust NLP Tools and Applications. Proceedings of the 40th Anniversary Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics (ACL’02). Philadelphia, USA
- Using a text engineering framework to build an extendable and portable IE-based summarisation system. Proceedings of the ACL-02 Workshop on Automatic Summarization -, 11 July 2002 - 12 July 2002.
- Extracting Information for Automatic Indexing of Multimedia Material.. LREC
- Using GATE as an environment for teaching NLP. Proceedings of the ACL-02 Workshop on Effective tools and methodologies for teaching natural language processing and computational linguistics -, 7 July 2002 - 7 July 2002.
- A Unicode-based Environment for Creation and Use of Language Resources. 3rd Language Resources and Evaluation Conference. Las Palmas, Canary Islands – Spain
- Human Language Technology for Automatic Annotation and Indexing of Digital Library Content.. ECDL, Vol. 2458 (pp 658-658)
- Using Human Language Technology for Automatic Annotation and Indexing of Digital Library Content.. ECDL, Vol. 2458 (pp 613-625)
- A framework and graphical development environment for robust NLP tools and applications.. ACL (pp 168-175)
- Adaptivity, Adaptability, and Reading Behaviour: Some Results from the Evaluation of a Dynamic Hypertext System.. AH, Vol. 2347 (pp 69-78)
- GATE: an architecture for development of robust HLT applications. 40TH ANNUAL MEETING OF THE ASSOCIATION FOR COMPUTATIONAL LINGUISTICS, PROCEEDINGS OF THE CONFERENCE (pp 168-175)
- Developing reusable and robust language processing components for information systems using GATE. 13TH INTERNATIONAL WORKSHOP ON DATABASE AND EXPERT SYSTEMS APPLICATIONS, PROCEEDINGS (pp 223-227)
- Adapting a robust multi-genre NE system for automatic content extraction. ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE: METHODOLOGY, SYSTEMS AND APPLICATIONS, PROCEEDINGS, Vol. 2443 (pp 264-273)
- Access to multimedia information through multisource and multilanguage information extraction. NATURAL LANGUAGE PROCESSING AND INFORMATION SYSTEMS, Vol. 2553 (pp 160-171)
- GATE. Proceedings of the 40th Annual Meeting on Association for Computational Linguistics - ACL '02, 7 July 2002 - 12 July 2002.
- Using HLT for acquiring, retrieving and publishing knowledge in AKT. Proceedings of the workshop on Human Language Technology and Knowledge Management -, 6 July 2001 - 7 July 2001.
- Dealing with Dependencies between Content Planning and Surface Realisation in a Pipeline Generation Architecture.. IJCAI (pp 1235-1240)
- The Impact of Empirical Studies on the Design of an Adaptive Hypertext Generation System.. OHS-7/SC-3/AH-3, Vol. 2266 (pp 201-214)
- Tailoring the content of dynamically generated explanations. USER MODELING 2001, PROCEEDINGS, Vol. 2109 (pp 213-215)
- Software Infrastructure for Language Resources: a Taxonomy of Previous Work and a Requirements Analysis. Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC-2). Athens
- Experience of using GATE for NLP R&D. Proceedings of the Workshop on Using Toolsets and Architectures To Build NLP Systems at COLING-2000. Luxembourg
- Generation of multilingual explanations from conceptual graphs. RECENT ADVANCES IN NATURAL LANGUAGE PROCESSING, Vol. 136 (pp 365-374)
- Menu-based interfaces to conceptual graphs: The CGLex approach. CONCEPTUAL STRUCTURES: FULFILLING PEIRCE'S DREAM, Vol. 1257 (pp 603-606)
- Task-dependent aspects of knowledge acquisition: A case study in a technical domain. CONCEPTUAL STRUCTURES: FULFILLING PEIRCE'S DREAM, Vol. 1257 (pp 183-197)
- DB-MAT: Knowledge Acquisition, Processing and NL Generation Using Conceptual Graphs.. ICCS, Vol. 1115 (pp 115-129)
- NL Domain Explanations in Knowledge Based MAT.. COLING (pp 1016-1019)
- DB-MAT: A NL based interface to domain knowledge. ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE: METHODOLOGY, SYSTEMS, APPLICATIONS, Vol. 35 (pp 218-227)
- Front Matter (pp i-xx)
- Front Matter (pp i-xxiv)
- Frontmatter (pp i-xix)
Software / Code
- http://gate.ac.uk/ GATE, a General Architecture for Text Engineering. Sheffield, UK: University of Sheffield Retrieved from
- Gold Standard Online Debates Summaries and First Experiments Towards Automatic Summarization of Online Debate Data, 495-505. View this article in WRRO
- Simple open stance classification for rumour analysis. International Conference Recent Advances in Natural Language Processing, RANLP, 2017-September, 31-39. View this article in WRRO
- View this article in WRRO Race and Religion in Online Abuse towards UK Politicians: Working Paper.
- View this article in WRRO Using Gaussian Processes for Rumour Stance Classification in Social Media.
Responsible AI for Inclusive, Democratic Societies: A cross-disciplinary approach to detecting and countering abusive language online, ESRC, 02/2020 - 01/2023, £508,135, as PI
SoBigData ++: An Integrated Infrastructures for Social Mining and Big Data Analytics, EC H2020, 01/2020 - 12/2023, £720,926, as PI
UKRI Centre for Doctoral Training in Speech and Language Technologies and their Applications, EPSRC, 04/2019 to 09/2027, £5,508,850, as Co-PI
ELG: European Language Grid, EC H2020, 01/2019 - 12/2021, £656,631, as PI
RISIS2: European Research Infrastructure for Science, technology and Innovation policy Studies 2, EC H2020, 01/2019 - 12/2022, £476,741, as co-PI
WeVerify: Wider and Enhanced VERIFication for You, EC H2020, 12/2018 - 11/2021, £403,577, as PI
- Journalist-in-the-Loop Machine Learning as a Service for Rumour Analysis, Google, 11/2018 - 12/2019, £44,642, as PI
- Automatic Detection of Online Misinformation, Google, 03/2018 - 02/2019, £43,077, as PI
- SoBigData Research Infrastructure, EC H2020, 09/2015 - 08/2019, £649,690, as Co-PI
- COMRADES: Collective Platform for Community Resilience and Social Innovation during Crises, EC H2020, 01/2016 - 12/2018, £257,000, as PI
- OpenMinTed: Open Mining INfrastructure for TExt and Data, EC H2020, 06/2015 - 05/2018, £418,388, as Co-PI
- Individual Profiling through Text Analysis, Air Force Office of Scientific Research USA, 09/2014 - 09/2015, £10,746, as Co-PI
- PHEME: Computing Veracity Across Media, Languages, and Social Networks, EC FP7, 10/2013 - 12/2016, £489,421, as PI
- DecarboNET: A Decarbonisation Platform for Citizen Empowerment and Translating Collective Awareness into Behavioural Change, EC FP7, 10/2013 - 09/2016, £253,753, as PI
- AnnoMarket: Annotation Resource Marketplace in the Cloud, EC FP7, 06/2012 - 05/2014, £394,226, as Co-PI
- Linked Data for Environmental Science, Joint Information Systems Committee, 06/2012 - 01/2013, £40,234, as PI
- TrendMiner: Large-scale, Cross-lingual Trend Mining and Summarisation of Real-time Media Streams, EC FP7, 11/2011 - 10/2014, £400,991, as PI
- GATE Cloud Exploratory: Adapting the General Architecture for Text Engineering to Cloud Computing, EPSRC, 02/2011 - 10/2011, £71,677, as Co-PI
- Machine Learning Methods for Personalised, Abstractive Summarisation of Consumer-Generated Media, EPSRC, 10/2010 - 05/2018, £591,755, as PI
- ServiceFinder: Realizing Web Service Discovery at Web Scale, EC FP7, 01/2008 - 12/2009, £206,407, as PI
- MUSING: MUlti-Industry, Semantic-based Next Generation Business INtelliGence, EC FP6, 04/2006 - 04/2010, £776,082, as PI
- TAO: Transitioning Applications to Ontologies, EC FP6, 03/2006 - 02/2009, £581,515, as PI
- Professional activities
Head of the Natural Language Processing research group