Dr Paul Richmond
Department of Computer Science
Head of Research Software Engineering
Member of the Testing, Visual Computing and Complex Systems Modelling research groups
+44 114 222 1936
Full contact details
Department of Computer Science
Regent Court (DCS)
Dr Richmond is a research focused Research Software Engineer who has recently been awarded one of only six EPSRC Early Career Research Software Engineering (RSE) Fellowships. The focus of this fellowship is in facilitating the use of accelerated architectures such as Graphics Processing Units (GPUs) to accelerate scientific discovery.
He is developing software techniques, a provision of skills and training material and building a community to help drive the use of accelerators into mainstream science and engineering.
- Research interests
Dr Richmond has a proven track-record of forming inter-disciplinary collaborations to achieve agenda-driven research. His work focuses on developing software which facilitates the pioneering use of emerging high-performance computing architectures for complex systems simulation within computational science and engineering.
He is an excellent communicator with a long term record of engaging scientists and engineers from diverse interdisciplinary fields to deliver requirement-driven software solutions.
- Easy and efficient agent-based simulations with the OpenABL language and compiler. Future Generation Computer Systems, 116, 61-75. View this article in WRRO
- PRIMAGE project : predictive in silico multiscale analytics to support childhood cancer personalised evaluation empowered by imaging biomarkers. European Radiology Experimental, 4(1). View this article in WRRO
- Simulating crowds and autonomous vehicles. Transactions on Computational Science, 37, 129-143.
- Improved GPU near neighbours performance for multi-agent simulations. Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing, 137, 53-64. View this article in WRRO
- Parallelisation strategies for agent based simulation of immune systems. BMC Bioinformatics, 20. View this article in WRRO
- A data-parallel many-source shortest-path algorithm to accelerate macroscopic transport network assignment. Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies, 104, 332-347. View this article in WRRO
- Communication Sparsity in Distributed Spiking Neural Network Simulations to Improve Scalability. Frontiers in Neuroinformatics, 13. View this article in WRRO
- Two-dimensional batch linear programming on the GPU. Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing, 126, 152-160. View this article in WRRO
- Code generation in computational neuroscience: a review of tools and techniques.. Frontiers in Neuroinformatics, 12. View this article in WRRO
- Simulating heterogeneous behaviours in complex systems on GPUs. Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory, 83, 3-17. View this article in WRRO
- Data-parallel agent-based microscopic road network simulation using graphics processing units. Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory, 83, 188-200. View this article in WRRO
- PI-FLAME: A parallel immune system simulator using the FLAME graphic processing unit environment. SIMULATION, 93(1), 69-84. View this article in WRRO
- SpineCreator: a Graphical User Interface for the Creation of Layered Neural Models.. Neuroinformatics, 15(1), 25-40. View this article in WRRO
- Osteolytica: An automated image analysis software package that rapidly measures cancer-induced osteolytic lesions in in vivo models with greater reproducibility compared to other commonly used methods. Bone, 83, 9-16.
- From model specification to simulation of biologically constrained networks of spiking neurons.. Neuroinformatics, 12(2), 307-323. View this article in WRRO
- Democratic population decisions result in robust policy-gradient learning: a parametric study with GPU simulations.. PLoS One, 6(5), e18539. View this article in WRRO
- High performance cellular level agent-based simulation with FLAME for the GPU.. Brief Bioinform, 11(3), 334-347.
- AI and Games Symposium. Adaptive and Emergent Behaviour and Complex Systems - Proceedings of the 23rd Convention of the Society for the Study of Artificial Intelligence and Simulation of Behaviour, AISB 2009, 1-2.
- OpenABLext: An automatic code generation framework for agent‐based simulations on CPU‐GPU‐FPGA heterogeneous platforms. Concurrency and Computation: Practice and Experience.
- Agent-based modelling of pedestrian responses during flood emergency: mobility behavioural rules and implications for flood risk analysis. Journal of Hydroinformatics. View this article in WRRO
- Advancing Automatic Code Generation for Agent-Based Simulations on Heterogeneous Hardware, Euro-Par 2019: Parallel Processing Workshops (pp. 308-319). Springer International Publishing
- Large-Scale Simulations with FLAME, Studies in Big Data (pp. 123-142). Springer International Publishing
- Chapter 21 Template-Driven Agent-Based Modeling and Simulation with CUDA, GPU Computing Gems Emerald Edition (pp. 313-324).
- Chapter 21: Template-Driven Agent-Based Modelling and Simulation with CUDA. In Gpu Computing Gems USA: Morgan Kaufmann Pub.
Conference proceedings papers
- HyperPRAW. Proceedings of the 48th International Conference on Parallel Processing View this article in WRRO
- Data Aware Simulation of Complex Systems on GPUs. 2019 International Conference on High Performance Computing & Simulation (HPCS), 15 July 2019 - 19 July 2019.
- Surrogate Modelling for Efficient Discovery of Emergent Population Dynamics. 2019 International Conference on High Performance Computing & Simulation (HPCS), 15 July 2019 - 19 July 2019.
- Fast simulation of crowd collision avoidance. Advances in Computer Graphics (pp 266-277). Calgary, AB, Canada, 17 June 2019 - 20 June 2019. View this article in WRRO
- Data Standards for Artificial Life Software. The 2019 Conference on Artificial Life, 29 July 2019 - 2 August 2019.
- OpenABL: A Domain-Specific Language for Parallel and Distributed Agent-Based Simulations. Euro-Par 2018: Parallel Processing, Vol. 11014 (pp 505-518), 27 August 2018 - 31 August 2018. View this article in WRRO
- Parallel Pair-Wise Interaction for Multi-Agent Immune Systems Modelling. 2018 IEEE International Conference on Bioinformatics and Biomedicine (BIBM), 3 December 2018 - 6 December 2018. View this article in WRRO
- RateSetter. Proceedings of the Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference
- A Formula-Driven Scalable Benchmark Model for ABM, Applied to FLAME GPU (pp 703-714) View this article in WRRO
- FLAME GPU: Complex System Simulation Framework. 2017 International Conference on High Performance Computing & Simulation (HPCS), 17 July 2017 - 21 July 2017.
- A Standardised Benchmark for Assessing the Performance of Fixed Radius Near Neighbours (pp 311-321) View this article in WRRO
- PED: Pedestrian environment designer. Computer Graphics and Visual Computing, CGVC 2016 - Eurographics UK Chapter Proceedings (pp 105-112) View this article in WRRO
- Feasibility study of multi-agent simulation at cellular level with Flame GPU. Proceedings of the 29th International Florida Artificial Intelligence Research Society Conference, FLAIRS 2016 (pp 398-403)
- Road Network Simulation Using FLAME GPU (pp 430-441) View this article in WRRO
- The SpineML toolchain: enabling computational neuroscience through flexible tools for creating, sharing, and simulating neural models. BMC Neuroscience, Vol. 15(S1)
- Resolving Conflicts between Multiple Competing Agents in Parallel Simulations (pp 383-394)
- Path tracing on massively parallel neuromorphic hardware. Theory and Practice of Computer Graphics 2012, TPCG 2012 - Eurographics UK Chapter Proceedings (pp 25-28)
- Large scale pedestrian multi-simulation for a decision support tool. Theory and Practice of Computer Graphics 2012, TPCG 2012 - Eurographics UK Chapter Proceedings (pp 41-44)
- Agent-based Large Scale Simulation of Pedestrians With Adaptive Realistic Navigation Vector Fields.. TPCG (pp 67-74)
- Audio-Visual Animation of Urban Space. The Eighth Theory and Practice of Computer Graphics 2010 Conference (TP.CG.2010) (pp 183-190). Sheffield, 6 September 2010 - 8 September 2010.
- FLAME: simulating large populations of agents on parallel hardware architectures.. AAMAS (pp 1633-1636)
- A high performance agent based modelling framework on graphics card hardware with CUDA. Proceedings of the International Joint Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems, AAMAS, Vol. 2 (pp 1106-1107)
- A high performance agent based modelling framework on graphics card hardware with CUDA. AAMAS '09 Proceedings of The 8th International Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems - Volume 2, Vol. 2 (pp 1125-1126). Richland, SC, 10 May 2009 - 15 May 2009.
- Cellular Level Agent Based Modelling on the Graphics Processing Unit. 2009 INTERNATIONAL WORKSHOP ON HIGH PERFORMANCE COMPUTATIONAL SYSTEMS BIOLOGY, PROCEEDINGS (pp 43-50)
- NARCSim An Agent-Based Illegal Drug Market Simulation. ICE-GIC: 2009 INTERNATIONAL IEEE CONSUMER ELECTRONICS SOCIETY'S GAMES INNOVATIONS CONFERENCE (pp 152-159)
- A HIGH PERFORMANCE FRAMEWORK FOR AGENT BASED PEDESTRIAN DYNAMICS ON GPU HARDWARE. EUROPEAN SIMULATION AND MODELLING CONFERENCE 2008 (pp 213-220)
- Automatic Generation of Residential Areas using Geo-Demographics. ADVANCES IN 3D GEOINFORMATION SYSTEMS (pp 401-416)
- Open Epidemiology for pandemic modelling: a transparent, traceable, reusable, open source pipeline for reproducible science, STFC, 01/2021 - 06/2022, £629,489, as Co-PI
- Increasing rail transport throughput while avoiding incentives to compromise social distancing: agent-based quantification leading to guidelines, ESRC, 01/2021 - 11/2021, £193,818, as Co-PI
- JBC Data and Data Science, Government, 12/2020 - 05/2021, £45,863, as PI
- PRIMAGE: PRedictive In-silico Multiscale Analytics to support cancer personalized diaGnosis and prognosis, Empowered by imaging biomarkers, EC H2020, 12/2018 to 11/2022, £549,018, as Co-PI
- How do the atypical cadherins Fat and Dachsous Integrate, BBSRC, 10/2018 to 09/2021, £481,262, as Co-PI.
- STriTuVad: In Silico Trial for Tuberculosis Vaccine Development, EC H2020, 02/2018 to 07/2022, £465,323, as Co-PI
- Accelerating Scientific Discovery with Accelerated Computing, EPSRC, 02/2016 to 10/2021, £721,298, as PI
- Osteolytica: Transforming outcomes for patients with cancer induced bone disease, MRC, 08/2017 to 07/2018, £106,556, as Co-PI
- SATGPU Phase II, ATKINS LIMITED, 05/2017 to 08/2018, £50,000, as PI
- Mobility for Life II: Traveller Focused Integrated Mulit-Modal Transport Model, Siemens PLC, 02/2017 to 08/2017, £68,000, as PI
- RateSetter: Improving passenger boarding rate and reducing risk at the Platform-Train Interface, Rail Safety and Standards Board Limited, 01/2017 to 03/2018, £124,234, as Co-PI.
- JADE: Joint Academic Data science Endeavour, EPSRC, 10/2016 to 09/2019, £3,000,000, as Co-PI
- Accelerating Transport Microsimulation: Demonstrating the impact of future many core simulations, Department for Transport, 09/2016 to 01/2017, £22,607, as PI
- Mobility for Life: Traveller Focused Integrated Mulit-Modal Transport Model, EPSRC, 07/2016 to 01/2017, £49,868, as PI
- SATGPU, Transport Systems Catapult Ltd, 10/2015 to 03/2017, £45,500, as PI
- Digital Fruit Fly Brain, BBSRC, 09/2015 to 11/2018, £530,873, as Co-PI