Dr Steve Maddock
Department of Computer Science
Deputy Director of Learning and Teaching (PLA)
Head of the Visual Computing research group
+44 114 222 1830
Full contact details
Department of Computer Science
Regent Court (DCS)
Dr Steve Maddock is a Senior Lecturer in Computer Graphics and is Head of the Visual Computing research group. He has a Class I Degree in Computer Science, a PGCE (Maths, 11-18) and a PhD in computer graphics modelling and animation, all from the University of Sheffield.
He has over 30 years’ experience in developing computer graphics software and spent six months on secondment at Gremlin/Infogrames which gave him valuable insights into the computer games industry
- Research interests
Dr Maddock’s research interests are in facial modelling and animation, augmented and virtual reality, and, more generally, in 3D computer graphics.
- CompoundRay, an open-source tool for high-speed and high-fidelity rendering of compound eyes.. Elife, 11.
- Simulating crowds and autonomous vehicles. Transactions on Computational Science, 37, 129-143.
- A computerized craniofacial reconstruction method for an unidentified skull based on statistical shape models. Multimedia Tools and Applications. View this article in WRRO
- A data-parallel many-source shortest-path algorithm to accelerate macroscopic transport network assignment. Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies, 104, 332-347. View this article in WRRO
- Two-dimensional batch linear programming on the GPU. Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing, 126, 152-160. View this article in WRRO
- An Evaluation Approach for a Physically-based Sticky Lip Model. Computers, 81(1). View this article in WRRO
- A scoping review of the use and application of Virtual Reality in Pre-clinical Dental Education. British Dental Journal, 226(5), 358-366. View this article in WRRO
- A corpus of audio-visual Lombard speech with frontal and profile views. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 143(6), 523-529. View this article in WRRO
- The impact of the Lombard effect on audio and visual speech recognition systems. Speech Communication, 100, 58-68. View this article in WRRO
- Data-parallel agent-based microscopic road network simulation using graphics processing units. Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory, 83, 188-200. View this article in WRRO
- The impact of automatic exaggeration of the visual articulatory features of a talker on the intelligibility of spectrally distorted speech. Speech Communication, 95, 127-136. View this article in WRRO
- A PCA-Based method for determining craniofacial relationship and sexual dimorphism of facial shapes. Computers in Biology and Medicine, 90, 33-49. View this article in WRRO
- OneClick: A Program for Designing Focused Mutagenesis Experiments. AIMS Bioengineering, 2(3), 126-143.
- Physically-Based Forehead Animation including Wrinkles. Computer Animation and Virtual Worlds, 26(1), 55-68.
- Accurate Multidimensional Poisson-Disk Sampling. ACM T GRAPHIC, 29(1).
- Topological Correction of Hypertextured Implicit Surfaces for Ray Casting. The Visual Computer, 24(6), 397-409.
- Topological correction of hypertextured implicit surfaces for ray casting. VISUAL COMPUTER, 24(6), 397-409. View this article in WRRO
- Game Portability Using a Service-Oriented Approach. International Journal of Computer Games Technology, 2008.
- A Constraint-Based approach to Visual Speech for a Mexican-Spanish Talking Head. International Journal of Computer Games Technology, 2008.
- Progressive refinement rendering of implicit surfaces. COMPUT GRAPH-UK, 31(5), 698-709. View this article in WRRO
- Approximating character biomechanics with real-time weighted inverse kinematics. Computer Animation and Virtual Worlds, 18(4-5), 349-359.
- Ray casting implicit fractal surfaces with reduced affine arithmetic. VISUAL COMPUT, 23(3), 155-165.
- A statistically-assisted sketch-based interface for creating arbitrary 3D faces. Theory and Practice of Computer Graphics 2007, TPCG 2007 - Eurographics UK Chapter Proceedings: Celebrating 25 Years of the Eurographics UK Chapter, 123-130.
- A Serious Game for Traffic Accident Investigators. International Journal of Interactive Technology & Smart Education, 3(4), 329-346.
- Inverse skinning. IET Conference Publications(516 CP), 163-172.
- View this article in WRRO Anti-aliasing with stratified B-spline filters of arbitrary degree. COMPUT GRAPH FORUM, 25(2), 163-172.
- Adapting motion capture data using weighted real-time inverse kinematics.. Comput. Entertain., 3, 5-5.
- Game logic portability. ACM International Conference Proceeding Series, 265, 458-461.
- Technologies for characters in computer games. Scientia, Estudos Interdisciplinares em Computação, 16(1), 5-12.
- Constraint-based synthesis of visual speech. ACM SIGGRAPH 2004 Sketches, SIGGRAPH'04.
- Using Synthetic Vision for Autonomous Non-Player Characters.. Inteligencia Artif., 7, 19-25.
- Using Synthetic Vision for Autonomous Non-Player Characters in Computer Games. Inteligencia Artificial, Revista Iberoamericana de Inteligencia Artificial, 21, 19-25.
- Computer cames. Virtual Reality, 5(4), 183-184.
- Computer Games Technology and Higher Education. Virtual Reality, 5(4), 185-194.
- PERSONAL CAL WORKBOOKS - THE NEXT CHAPTERS. COMPUT GRAPH, 19(4), 631-635.
- A PERSONAL CAL WORKBOOK. COMPUT GRAPH, 18(3), 299-304.
- Depth-aware Neural Style Transfer for videos. Computers.
- Using pose estimation to identify regions and points on natural history specimens. PLOS Computational Biology, 19(2), e1010933-e1010933.
- Deep learning image segmentation reveals patterns of UV reflectance evolution in passerine birds. Nature Communications.
- Recent Advances in Video Analytics for Rail Network Surveillance for Security, Trespass and Suicide Prevention—A Survey. Sensors.
- A Sketch-based Interface for Real-time Control of Crowd Simulations that incorporate Dynamic Knowledge. Journal of Virtual Reality and Broadcasting.
- Improved GPU near neighbours performance for multi-agent simulations. Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing. View this article in WRRO
- Developing a Serious Game for Police Training In Ferdig RE (Ed.), Handbook of research on effective electronic gaming in education (pp. 451-477). Information Science Publishing
- Computer Vision, Computer Science Handbook, Second Edition CD-ROM CRC Press
- Mainstream rendering techniques, Computer Science Handbook, Second Edition (pp. 38-1-38-32).
- Visual Realism John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Conference proceedings papers
- Augmented Reality Safety Zone Configurations in Human-Robot Collaboration. Companion of the 2023 ACM/IEEE International Conference on Human-Robot Interaction
- Investigating Visual Features for Cognitive Impairment Detection Using In-the-wild Data. 2023 IEEE 17th International Conference on Automatic Face and Gesture Recognition (FG), 5 January 2023 - 8 January 2023.
- Eye blink rate based detection of cognitive impairment using in-the-wild data. 2021 9th International Conference on Affective Computing and Intelligent Interaction (ACII). Nara, Japan (virtual conference), 28 September 2021 - 1 October 2021.
- Breathing Life into Statues Using Augmented Reality. Proc. CGVC 2020
- Fast simulation of crowd collision avoidance. Advances in Computer Graphics (pp 266-277). Calgary, AB, Canada, 17 June 2019 - 20 June 2019. View this article in WRRO
- 3D visual speech animation using 2D videos. ICASSP 2019 - 2019 IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP) (pp 2367-2371). Brighton, 12 May 2019 - 17 May 2019. View this article in WRRO
- A sketch-based interface for real-time control of crowd simulations that use navigation meshes. 14th International Conference on Computer Graphics Theory and Applications, Vol. 1 (pp 41-52). Prague, Czech Republic, 25 February 2019 - 27 February 2019. View this article in WRRO
- Recreating Sheffield's Medieval Castle in situ using Outdoor Augmented Reality. Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality, Vol. 11162 (LNCS) (pp 213-229), 22 October 2018 - 23 October 2018. View this article in WRRO
- Physically-based sticky lips. Computer Graphics and Visual Computing, CGVC 2018 (pp 51-59) View this article in WRRO
- Sketching for real-time control of crowd simulations. Computer Graphics and Visual Computing, CGVC 2017 (pp 81-88) View this article in WRRO
- A Standardised Benchmark for Assessing the Performance of Fixed Radius Near Neighbours (pp 311-321) View this article in WRRO
- Automatic planar shape segmentation from indoor point clouds. Proceedings of the 15th ACM SIGGRAPH Conference on Virtual-Reality Continuum and Its Applications in Industry, Vol. 1 (pp 363-372) View this article in WRRO
- Using Semi-automatic 3D Scene Reconstruction to Create a Digital Medieval Charnel Chapel. Proceedings of EG UK Theory and Practice of Computer Graphics View this article in WRRO
- PED: Pedestrian environment designer. Computer Graphics and Visual Computing, CGVC 2016 - Eurographics UK Chapter Proceedings (pp 105-112) View this article in WRRO
- Analysis of visemes in the GRID corpus. Abstract of UKspeech
- Using sketching to control heterogeneous groups. Computer Graphics and Visual Computing, CGVC 2015 (pp 87-91) View this article in WRRO
- Investigating the Impact of Artificial Enhancement of Lip Visibility on the Intelligibility of Spectrally-Distorted Speech. FAAVSP-2015 (pp 93-98), 11 September 2015 - 13 September 2015.
- Road Network Simulation Using FLAME GPU (pp 430-441) View this article in WRRO
- GPU Simulation of Finite Element Facial Soft-Tissue Models. TP.CG.2013 (pp 1-8). Bath, UK, 5 September 2013 - 6 September 2013.
- Creating animatable non-conforming hexahedral finite element facial soft-tissue models for GPU simulation. 20th International Conference in Central Europe on Computer Graphics, Visualization and Computer Vision, WSCG 2012 - Conference Proceedings(PART 2) (pp 317-326)
- Audio-Visual Animation of Urban Space. The Eighth Theory and Practice of Computer Graphics 2010 Conference (TP.CG.2010) (pp 183-190). Sheffield, 6 September 2010 - 8 September 2010.
- Craniofacial reconstruction based on skull-face models extracted from MRI datasets. The Eighth Theory and Practice of Computer Graphics 2010 Conference (TP.CG.2010) (pp 143-150). Sheffield, 6 September 2010 - 8 September 2010.
- Evaluation of A Viseme-Driven Talking Head. The Eighth Theory and Practice of Computer Graphics 2010 Conference (TP.CG.2010) (pp 139-142). Sheffield, 6 September 2010 - 8 September 2010.
- Comparison of different types of visemes using a constraint-based coarticulation model. The Eighth Theory and Practice of Computer Graphics 2010 Conference (TP.CG.2010) (pp 199-206). Sheffield, 6 September 2010 - 8 September 2010.
- Integration of Acoustic Simulation with Interactive Visual Animation of Urban Environment. EAA EUROREGIO 2010 Summer School. Ljubljana, Slovenia, 15 September 2010 - 18 September 2010.
- A talking head for speech tutoring. The ACM / SSPNET 2nd International Symposium on Facial Analysis and Animation (pp 14-14), 21 October 2010 - 21 October 2010.
- Extracting skull-face models from MRI data for use in craniofacial reconstructions. Workshop on Face Behaviour and Interaction (FBI 2009). Manchester Metropolitan University, Manchester, UK, 25 August 2009.
- Segmenting the External Surface of a Human Skull in MR Data. The Sixth Theory and Practice of Computer Graphics 2008 Conference (TP.CG.08). University of Manchester, UK, 9 June 2008 - 11 June 2008.
- Sketching Faces. Fifth Eurographics Workshop on Sketch-Based Interfaces and Modeling 2008 (SBIM 2008). Annecy, France, 11 June 2008 - 13 June 2008.
- A progressive refinement approach for the visualisation of implicit surfaces. ADVANCES IN COMPUTER GRAPHICS AND COMPUTER VISION, Vol. 4 (pp 93-108)
- View this article in WRRO Topological correction of hypertextured implicit surfaces for ray casting. IEEE International Conference on Shape Modeling and Applications 2007, Proceedings (pp 103-+)
- A progressive refinement approach for the visualisation of implicit surfaces. GRAPP 2006: PROCEEDINGS OF THE FIRST INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON COMPUTER GRAPHICS THEORY AND APPLICATIONS (pp 26-33)
- Individualised character motion using weighted real-time inverse kinematics. GAME-ON 2004: 5th International Conference on Intelligent Games and Simulation (pp 57-64)
- A collaborative virtual training architecture for investigating the aftermath of vehicle accidents. MESM '2004: 6th Middle East Simulation Multiconference (pp 170-178)
- An architecture for domain-independent collaborative virtual environments. GAME-ON 2004: 5th International Conference on Intelligent Games and Simulation (pp 84-88)
- Use and Re-use of Facial Motion Capture Data.. VVG (pp 135-142)
- Image-based talking heads using radial basis functions. THEORY AND PRACTICE OF COMPUTER GRAPHICS, PROCEEDINGS (pp 74-80)
- Planar bones for MPEG-4 facial animation. THEORY AND PRACTICE OF COMPUTER GRAPHICS, PROCEEDINGS (pp 81-88)
- Use and Re-use of Facial Motion Capture Data. Institute of Mathematics and its Applications Vision, Video, and Graphics 2003, VVG 2003 (pp 1-8)
- Preventing collapse within mass-spring-damper models of deformable objects. WSCG '97: THE FIFTH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE IN CENTRAL EUROPE ON COMPUTER GRAPHICS AND VISUALIZATION '97, CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS, VOL 1-4 (pp 70-78)
- Augmented Reality for Safety Zones in Human-Robot Collaboration. EG UK Computer Graphics & Visual Computing
- Depth-aware Neural Style Transfer using Instance Normalization. EG UK Computer Graphics & Visual Computing (2022)
- An Augmented Reality System for Safe Human-Robot Collaboration. 4th UK-RAS Conference for PhD Students & Early-Career Researchers on "Robotics at Home"
- Towards Insect Inspired Visual Sensors for Robots. UKRAS20 Conference: “Robots into the real world” Proceedings View this article in WRRO
- Creating Finite Element Models of Facial Soft Tissue. WSCG 2013. Plsen, Czech Republic, 24 June 2013 - 27 June 2013.
- Sketch-Based Posing of 3D Faces for Facial Animation. Proceedings of The Eighth Theory and Practice of Computer Graphics 2010 Conference (pp 223-230). Sheffield, 6 September 2010 - 8 September 2010.
- Sketching Faces. Proc. Fifth Eurographics Workshop on Sketch-Based Interfaces and Modeling 2008. Annecy, France, 11 June 2008 - 13 June 2008.
- Localised Topology Correction for Hypertextured Terrains. The Sixth Theory and Practice of Computer Graphics 2008 Conference (TP.CG.08). University of Manchester, UK, 9 June 2008 - 11 June 2008.
- A comparison of audiovisual and auditory-only training on the perception of spectrally-distorted speech. 18th International Congress of Phonetic Sciences.
- Physics-Based Soft-Tissue Modelling and Simulation. IUPS 2013.
- Depth-aware Neural Style Transfer using Instance Normalization.
- CompoundRay: An open-source tool for high-speed and high-fidelity rendering of compound eyes, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory.
- Simulating Crowds and Autonomous Vehicles, arXiv.
- Fast Simulation of Crowd Collision Avoidance, arXiv.
- Segmenting biological specimens from photos to understand the evolution of UV plumage in passerine birds, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory. View this article in WRRO
- Games Software Engineering, Royal Academy of Engineering, 09/2021 - 06/2024, £27,936, as PI
- In2Stempo, Network Rail, 10/2019 - 05/2021, £221,245, as Co-PI
- Heritage-led urban regeneration: a scalable model for community engagement using immersive technologies, AHRC, 01/2019 - 06/2019, £2,985, as PI
- Digital Engagement for Heritage-led Urban Regeneration, AHRC, £66,568, as Co-PI
- SATGPU Phases II, III, IV, V, VI, ATKINS LIMITED, 05/2017 to 08/2018, £50,000, as Co-PI
- Optimisation, Transport Systems Catapult Ltd., 10/2015 - 03/2017, £39,000, as Co-PI
- Facial expression and autism, Sheffield Childrens Hospital NHS Trust, 04/2005 - 02/2007, £24,113, as Co-PI
- Studentship, Infogrames Development Studios, 02/2000 - 01/2003, £3,100, as PI
- Studentship, KAZOO 3D LTD, 01/2000 - 01/2003, £5,950, as PI
- Professional activities and memberships
Member of INSIGNEO, Sheffield Robotics and the Cultural Industries Research Network