Dr Tom Pering
BSc, MSc, PhD
Department of Geography
+44 114 222 7968
Full contact details
Department of Geography
Geography and Planning Building
Tom Pering joined the department as a Teaching Associate in July 2016. He obtained his BSc in Physical Geography at the University of Reading in 2010.
Following this he moved to Lancaster University where he completed a MSc course in Volcanology and Geological Hazards.
He undertook his PhD at the University of Sheffield with thesis titled "Bubbles in Basalts: Measuring and Modelling Basaltic Degassing", completed in 2015.
- Research interests
My research revolves around the measurement of sulphur dioxide, using ultra violet cameras, and modelling via computational fluid dynamics and laboratory analogues of a variety of degassing modes from basaltic magmas, including: passive, strombolian, and lava fountaining.
Within this I am particularly interested in applying low-cost alternatives to previously expensive methods. In particular, I use low-cost computing platforms such as the Raspberry Pi.
- Author Correction: Combined ground and aerial measurements resolve vent-specific gas fluxes from a multi-vent volcanic system. Nature Communications, 11(1).
- Characterization of acoustic infrasound signals at Volcán de Fuego, Guatemala: a baseline for volcano monitoring. Frontiers in Earth Science, 8.
- Ultraviolet camera measurements of passive and explosive (Strombolian) sulphur dioxide emissions at Yasur volcano, Vanuatu. Remote Sensing, 12(17).
- Combined ground and aerial measurements resolve vent-specific gas fluxes from a multi-vent volcano. Nature Communications, 11(1). View this article in WRRO
- Low-cost hyperspectral imaging system: Design and testing for laboratory-based environmental applications. Sensors, 20(11). View this article in WRRO
- Strombolian eruptions and dynamics of magma degassing at Yasur Volcano (Vanuatu). Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 398, 106869-106869.
- Degassing at Sabancaya volcano measured by UV cameras and the NOVAC network. Volcanica, 2(2), 239-252. View this article in WRRO
- Periodicity in volcanic gas plumes : a review and analysis. Geosciences, 9(9). View this article in WRRO
- The PiSpec: A Low-Cost, 3D-Printed Spectrometer for Measuring Volcanic SO2 Emission Rates. Frontiers in Earth Science, 7. View this article in WRRO
- Measuring and Visualizing Solar UV for a Wide Range of Atmospheric Conditions on Hawai’i Island. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 16(6). View this article in WRRO
- A Rapidly Convecting Lava Lake at Masaya Volcano, Nicaragua. Frontiers in Earth Science, 6. View this article in WRRO
- Dynamics of outgassing and plume transport revealed by proximal Unmanned Aerial System (UAS) measurements at Volcán Villarrica, Chile. Geochemistry Geophysics Geosystems, 20(2), 730-750. View this article in WRRO
- The development of a low-cost, near infrared, high-temperature thermal imaging system and its application to the retrieval of accurate lava lake temperatures at Masaya volcano, Nicaragua. Remote Sensing, 10(3). View this article in WRRO
- Combining spherical-cap and taylor bubble fluid dynamics with plume measurements to characterize basaltic degassing. Geosciences, 8(2), 42-42. View this article in WRRO
- Smartphone Spectrometers. Sensors (Switzerland), 18(1), 223-223. View this article in WRRO
- Low-cost 3D printed 1 nm resolution smartphone sensor-based spectrometer: instrument design and application in ultraviolet spectroscopy. Optics Letters, 42(21), 4323-4326. View this article in WRRO
- Ultraviolet Imaging of Volcanic Plumes: A New Paradigm in Volcanology. Geosciences, 7(3). View this article in WRRO
- A novel and inexpensive method for measuring volcanic plume water fluxes at high temporal resolution. Remote Sensing, 9(2). View this article in WRRO
- The dynamics of slug trains in volcanic conduits: Evidence for expansion driven slug coalescence. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 348, 26-35. View this article in WRRO
- A Low-Cost Smartphone Sensor-Based UV Camera for Volcanic SO2 Emission Measurements. Remote Sensing, 9(1). View this article in WRRO
- Ultraviolet Imaging with Low Cost Smartphone Sensors: Development and Application of a Raspberry Pi-Based UV Camera. Sensors, 16(10). View this article in WRRO
- Conduit dynamics and post explosion degassing on Stromboli: A combined UV camera and numerical modeling treatment. Geophysical Research Letters, 43(10), 5009-5016. View this article in WRRO
- Dynamics of mild strombolian activity on Mt. Etna. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 300, 103-111. View this article in WRRO
- Correlation of oscillatory behaviour in Matlab using wavelets. Computers & Geosciences, 70, 206-212. View this article in WRRO
- High time resolution fluctuations in volcanic carbon dioxide degassing from Mount Etna. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 270, 115-121. View this article in WRRO
- Periodic volcanic degassing behavior: The Mount Etna example. Geophysical Research Letters, 40(18), 4818-4822.
- First Measurements of Gas Flux with a Low-Cost Smartphone Sensor-Based UV Camera on the Volcanoes of Northern Chile. Remote Sensing, 12(13), 2122-2122.
- Volcanic degassing along the enigmatic South Sandwich volcanic arc.
- Ultraviolet camera measurements of passive and explosive sulphur dioxide emissions at Yasur volcano, Vanuatu.
- Multiparametric measurements of the lava lake at Masaya volcano.
- First measurements of volcanic gas composition at Bagana volcano, Papua New Guinea.
- Teaching activities
Tom currently teaches on:
- GEO113 – Earth, Wind, Ice and Fire
- GEO118 – Geographical Skills
- GEO248 – Research Design for Geography and Environmental Science
- GEO275 – Geographical Data in the World
- GEO356 – Geographical Research Project
- GEO3004 – Applied Volcanology
- GEO3007 – Lake District Fieldclass