Department of History
Thesis title: Clergy and lay relations in mid-seventeenth century England, 1640-1672
- Anthony Milton (Primary)
- Tom Leng (Secondary)
My thesis is an investigation into how the local religious community and its collective symbols and identities were reimagined during and after the Civil Wars, Interregnum and Restoration. It focuses on the dynamic of clergy and lay relations and the extent to which these relations changed as a result of the two greatest mass clerical ejections in English history.
By comparing both ejection waves through an intensive study of several richly documented parishes, my project aims to provide a distinctive new understanding of the nature and impact of early modern cultural change.
- PhD History, University of Sheffield, 2022 - present
- MA History (Local), University of Leicester, 2020-2021
- BA History, University of Leicester, 2017-2020
- PhD scholarship: AHRC White Rose College of Arts and Humanities
- Margaret Spufford MA Prize, University of Leicester, 2021
- College of Social Sciences, Arts and Humanities excellency scholarship, University of Leicester, 2020