Professor Julian Gunn MA MB BChir MD MRCP
Professor of Interventional Cardiology, Honorary Consultant Cardiologist & Insigneo Fellow.
Department of Infection, Immunity & Cardiovascular Disease
University of Sheffield
Beech Hill Road
Tel NHS Secretary - Royal Hallamshire Hospital: +44 (0) 114 271 2437
Tel NHS Secretary - Northern General Hospital: +44 (0) 114 271 4952/3
Fax: +44 (0)114 271 1863
I was trained in Medicine at Cambridge, and took junior hospital posts around England before being appointed Clinical Lecturer in Cardiology at the University of Sheffield in 1994 and BCS Young Investigator of the Year 1995. I was trained in Cardiology in Sheffield, and in coronary angioplasty by Professor David Cumberland. I was appointed Senior Lecturer in 2000 and became Reader in Interventional Cardiology in 2014 and Professor in 2016. I am a member of the Cardiovascular Biomechanics theme, with strong links with the Medical Physics Group, within the Department of Infection, Immunity & Cardiovascular Disease, and the Insigneo Institute for in silico medicine.
My higher degree was in the field of local coronary artery injury and healing, and my interests since then have exclusively centred on coronary artery disease (CAD), its endovascular treatment with percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI; angioplasty), the injury and healing resulting from that, and how we can improve upon the results of PCI. This research has spanned basic research, in vivo experimentation, translation into clinical studies and clinical decision making. Increasingly I am focusing on the application of computer models of coronary artery disease to develop ‘virtual’ coronary physiology based upon the coronary angiogram. I supervise Academic Clinical Fellows and students at BMedSci, MD and PhD level and welcome applications from students interested in undertaking projects in the field of computational modelling of coronary artery blood flow.
I lecture to undergraduate medical students and enjoy bedside teaching. I also teach Cardiology trainees on a regional level. I am a trainer in PCI in Sheffield and lecture on advanced PCI techniques nationally and internationally. I also teach on the Molecular Medicine MSc course. I have taught 21 BMedSci, 7 MD and 8 PhD students.
I am Honorary Consultant Cardiologist at the Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and Lead for Acute Coronary Syndrome Pathways, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals Foundation Trust. I am Chairman of the Insigneo Cardiovascular Working Group. I am a member of the British Cardiovascular Society, and of the British Cardiovascular Intervention Society and its R&D committee. I am a Supervisor for the Wellcome 4Ward North Clinical PhD Programme, and Member of the EPSRC Image-guided therapies UK Newtork. I am reviewer for six Cardiology journals and for the BHF, MRC and NIHR.
- Computer modelling of coronary artery disease and blood flow.
- Clinical decision making in coronary artery disease.
- Complex percutaneous coronary interventions.
- Translational clinical trials in these areas.
I currently hold NIHR, BHF and MRC-DPFS grants.
For key publications see below. For a full list of publications click here.
- Morris PD, Silva Soto DA, Feher JFA, Rafiroiu D, Lungu A, Varma S, Lawford PV, Hose DR & Gunn JP (2017) Fast Virtual Fractional Flow Reserve Based Upon Steady-State Computational Fluid Dynamics Analysis: Results From the VIRTU-Fast Study. Journal of American College Cardiology Basic to Translational Science, 2(4), 434-446. View this article in WRRO
- Gosai J & Gunn J (2016) Simulation training for the trainee cardiologist: the evidence mounts. EuroIntervention, 11(13), 1454-1455. View this article in WRRO
- Morris PD, Taylor J, Boutong S, Brett S, Louis A, Heppenstall J, Morton AC & Gunn JP (2016) When is rotational angiography superior to conventional single-plane angiography for planning coronary angioplasty?. Catheterization and Cardiovascular Interventions, 87(4), E104-E112. View this article in WRRO
- Morris PD, Narracott A, Von Tengg-Kobligk H, Soto DAS, Hsiao S, Lungu A, Evans P, Bressloff NW, Lawford PV, Rodney Hose D & Gunn JP (2016) Computational fluid dynamics modelling in cardiovascular medicine. Heart, 102(1), 18-28. View this article in WRRO
- Morris PD, Van De Vosse FN, Lawford PV, Hose DR & Gunn JP (2015) "virtual" (Computed) Fractional Flow Reserve Current Challenges and Limitations. JACC: Cardiovascular Interventions, 8(8), 1009-1017.
- Gosai J, Purva M & Gunn J (2015) Simulation in cardiology: state of the art. European Heart Journal, 36(13), 777-783.
- Amatruda CM, Casas CB, Keller BK, Tahir H, Dubini G, Hoekstra A, Hose DR, Lawford P, Migliavacca F, Narracott A & Gunn J (2014) From Histology and Imaging Data to Models for In-Stent Restenosis. The International Journal of Artificial Organs, 37(10), 786-800.
- Keller BK, Amatruda CM, Hose DR, Gunn J, Lawford PV, Dubini G, Migliavacca F & Narracott AJ (2014) Contribution of Mechanical and Fluid Stresses to the Magnitude of In-stent Restenosis at the Level of Individual Stent Struts. Cardiovascular Engineering and Technology, 5(2), 164-175.
- Van der Heiden K, Gijsen FJH, Narracott A, Hsiao S, Halliday I, Gunn J, Wentzel JJ & Evans PC (2013) The effects of stenting on shear stress: relevance to endothelial injury and repair.. Cardiovasc Res, 99(2), 269-275.
- Morris PD, Ryan D, Morton AC, Lycett R, Lawford PV, Hose DR & Gunn JP (2013) Virtual fractional flow reserve from coronary angiography: modeling the significance of coronary lesions: results from the VIRTU-1 (VIRTUal Fractional Flow Reserve From Coronary Angiography) study.. JACC Cardiovasc Interv, 6(2), 149-157.
- Caputo M, Chiastra C, Cianciolo C, Cutrì E, Dubini G, Gunn J, Keller B, Migliavacca F & Zunino P (2013) Simulation of oxygen transfer in stented arteries and correlation with in-stent restenosis. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Biomedical Engineering, 29(12), 1373-1387.
- Tahir H, Hoekstra AG, Lorenz E, Lawford PV, Hose DR, Gunn J & Evans DJW (2011) Multi-scale simulations of the dynamics of in-stent restenosis: impact of stent deployment and design. INTERFACE FOCUS, 1(3), 365-373.
- Caiazzo A, Evans D, Falcone J-L, Hegewald J, Lorenz E, Stahl B, Wang D, Bernsdorf J, Chopard B, Gunn J, Hose R, Krafczyk M, Lawford P, Smallwood R, Walker D & Hoekstra A (2011) A Complex Automata approach for in-stent restenosis: Two-dimensional multiscale modelling and simulations. Journal of Computational Science.
- Morlacchi S, Keller B, Arcangeli P, Balzan M, Migliavacca F, Dubini G, Gunn J, Arnold N, Narracott A, Evans D & Lawford P (2011) Hemodynamics and in-stent restenosis: micro-CT images, histology, and computer simulations.. Ann Biomed Eng, 39(10), 2615-2626.
- Evans DJW, Lawford PV, Gunn J, Walker D, Hose DR, Smallwood RH, Chopard B, Krafczyk M, Bernsdorf J & Hoekstra A (2008) The application of multiscale modelling to the process of development and prevention of stenosis in a stented coronary artery.. Philos Trans A Math Phys Eng Sci, 366(1879), 3343-3360.
Conference proceedings papers
- Çimen S, Hoogendoorn C, Morris PD, Gunn J & Frangi AF (2014) Reconstruction of coronary trees from 3DRA using a 3D+t statistical cardiac prior. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics), Vol. 8674 LNCS(PART 2) (pp 619-626)