Professor Julian Gunn MA MB BChir MD MRCP
Professor of Interventional Cardiology, Honorary Consultant Cardiologist & Insigneo Fellow.
Department of Infection, Immunity & Cardiovascular Disease
University of Sheffield
Beech Hill Road
Tel NHS Secretary - Royal Hallamshire Hospital: +44 (0) 114 271 2437
Tel NHS Secretary - Northern General Hospital: +44 (0) 114 271 4952/3
Fax: +44 (0)114 271 1863
University Secretary: Ms Susan Furness
Tel: +44 (0) 114 215 9506
I was trained in Medicine at Cambridge, and took junior hospital posts around England before being appointed Clinical Lecturer in Cardiology at the University of Sheffield in 1994 and BCS Young Investigator of the Year 1995. I was trained in Cardiology in Sheffield, and in coronary angioplasty by Professor David Cumberland. I was appointed Senior Lecturer in 2000 and became Reader in Interventional Cardiology in 2014 and Professor in 2016. I am a member of the Cardiovascular Biomechanics theme, with strong links with the Medical Physics Group, within the Department of Cardiovascular Science, and the Insigneo Institute for in silico medicine.
My higher degree was in the field of local coronary artery injury and healing, and my interests since then have exclusively centred on coronary artery disease (CAD), its endovascular treatment with percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI; angioplasty), the injury and healing resulting from that, and how we can improve upon the results of PCI. This research spans basic research, in vivo experimentation, translation into clinical studies and clinical decision making. Increasingly I am focusing on the application of computer models of coronary artery disease to develop ‘virtual’ coronary physiology based upon the coronary angiogram. I supervise Academic Clinical Fellows and students at BMedSci, MD and PhD level.
I lecture to undergraduate medical students and enjoy bedside teaching. I also teach Cardiology trainees on a regional level. I am a trainer in PCI in Sheffield and lecture on advanced PCI techniques nationally and internationally. I also teach on the Molecular Medicine MSc course.
I am Honorary Consultant Cardiologist at the Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and Lead for Acute Coronary Syndrome Pathways, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals Foundation Trust. I am Chairman of the Insigneo Cardiovascular Working Group. I am a member of the British Cardiovascular Society, and of the British Cardiovascular Intervention Society. I am reviewer for six Cardiology journals and regular reviewer for the BHF, MRC and NIHR.
- Computer modelling of coronary artery disease, coronary flow and decision making.
- Investigating pro-healing strategies in stenting in murine and porcine models of arterial injury.
- Treating left main coronary artery disease with special stenting techniques.
- Investigating the effects of high risk, risk scoring and frailty in PCI.
For key publications see below. For a full list of publications click here.
- Murali-Krishnan R, Iqbal J, Rowe R, Hatem E, Parviz Y, Richardson J, Sultan A & Gunn J (2015) Impact of frailty on outcomes after percutaneous coronary intervention: a prospective cohort study. Open Heart, 2(1). View this article in WRRO
- Morris PD, Van De Vosse FN, Lawford PV, Hose DR & Gunn JP (2015) "virtual" (Computed) Fractional Flow Reserve Current Challenges and Limitations. JACC: Cardiovascular Interventions, 8(8), 1009-1017.
- Morton AC, Rothman AMK, Greenwood JP, Gunn J, Chase A, Clarke B, Hall AS, Fox K, Foley C & Banya W (2015) The effect of interleukin-1 receptor antagonist therapy on markers of inflammation in non-ST elevation acute coronary syndromes: the MRC-ILA Heart Study. European Heart Journal, 36(6), 377-384. View this article in WRRO
- Gosai J, Purva M & Gunn J (2015) Simulation in cardiology: state of the art. European Heart Journal, 36(13), 777-783.
- Kunadian V, Qiu W, Ludman P, Redwood S, Curzen N, Stables R, Gunn J & Gershlick A (2014) Outcomes in patients with cardiogenic shock following percutaneous coronary intervention in the contemporary era: An analysis from the BCIS database (British Cardiovascular Intervention Society). JACC: Cardiovascular Interventions, 7(12), 1374-1385.
- Raina T, Iqbal J, Arnold N, Moore H, Aflatoonian B, Walsh J, Whitehouse S, Al-Lamee K, Francis S & Gunn J (2014) Coronary stents seeded with human trophoblastic endovascular progenitor cells show accelerated strut coverage without excessive neointimal proliferation in a porcine model. EuroIntervention, 10(6).
- Keller BK, Amatruda CM, Hose DR, Gunn J, Lawford PV, Dubini G, Migliavacca F & Narracott AJ (2014) Contribution of Mechanical and Fluid Stresses to the Magnitude of In-stent Restenosis at the Level of Individual Stent Struts. Cardiovascular Engineering and Technology, 5(2), 164-175.
- Tahir H, Bona-Casas C, Narracott AJ, Iqbal J, Gunn J, Lawford P & Hoekstra AG (2014) Endothelial repair process and its relevance to longitudinal neointimal tissue patterns: comparing histology with in silico modelling.. J R Soc Interface, 11(94), 20140022.
- Iqbal J, Sumaya W, Tatman V, Parviz Y, Morton AC, Grech ED, Campbell S, Storey RF & Gunn J (2013) Incidence and predictors of stent thrombosis: a single-centre study of 5,833 consecutive patients undergoing coronary artery stenting.. EuroIntervention, 9(1), 62-69.
- Van der Heiden K, Gijsen FJH, Narracott A, Hsiao S, Halliday I, Gunn J, Wentzel JJ & Evans PC (2013) The effects of stenting on shear stress: relevance to endothelial injury and repair.. Cardiovasc Res, 99(2), 269-275.
- Morris PD, Ryan D, Morton AC, Lycett R, Lawford PV, Hose DR & Gunn JP (2013) Virtual fractional flow reserve from coronary angiography: modeling the significance of coronary lesions: results from the VIRTU-1 (VIRTUal Fractional Flow Reserve From Coronary Angiography) study.. JACC Cardiovasc Interv, 6(2), 149-157.
- Malkin CJ, George V, Ghobrial MS, Krishnan A, Siotia A, Raina T, Morton AC & Gunn J (2013) Residual SYNTAX score after PCI for triple vessel coronary artery disease: quantifying the adverse effect of incomplete revascularisation. EuroIntervention, 8, 1286-1295.
- Caputo M, Chiastra C, Cianciolo C, Cutrì E, Dubini G, Gunn J, Keller B, Migliavacca F & Zunino P (2013) Simulation of oxygen transfer in stented arteries and correlation with in-stent restenosis. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Biomedical Engineering, 29(12), 1373-1387.
- Siotia A, Morton AC, Malkin CJ, Raina T & Gunn J (2012) Simultaneous kissing drug-eluting stents to treat unprotected left main stem bifurcation disease: medium term outcome in 150 consecutive patients. EuroIntervention, 8, 691-700.
- Tahir H, Hoekstra AG, Lorenz E, Lawford PV, Hose DR, Gunn J & Evans DJW (2011) Multi-scale simulations of the dynamics of in-stent restenosis: impact of stent deployment and design. INTERFACE FOCUS, 1(3), 365-373.