Dr Richmond Muimo PhD
Lecturer in Cell Biology
Department of Infection, Immunity & Cardiovascular Disease
University of Sheffield
Beech Hill Road
Tel: +44 (0)114 215 9515
Fax: +44 (0)114 271 3892
Secretary: Mrs Susan Clary
Tel: +44 (0) 114 215 9503
After completing my PhD at the University of Leeds in 1993, I took up a post as a PostDoctoral Researcher. In 1993 I became a Research Fellow at Dundee University where I went on to become a Lecturer in 2001. I joined The University of Sheffield in 2003 where I continue to work as a Lecturer.
I am focused on understanding the mechanisms that regulate ion transport in secretory epithelia, particularly in relation to cystic fibrosis. I have identified a number of CFTR-associated proteins that are involved in regulating ion channel function.
Over the past few years my interests have expanded into understanding the role of CFTR-associated proteins in neutrophil function and inflammation.
My teaching interests lie in aspects of membrane biology and invertebrate model systems which I teach on the MBChB and MSc in Molecular Medicine, respectively.
Biochemical Society, European Calcium Society and American Society For Cell Biology.
- Application of stable analogues of phosphohistidine to the study of cell signaling pathways.
- Nucleoside diphosphate kinase (NDPK) regulates CFTR function.
- Roles of NDPK in neutrophilic inflammation.
For key publications see below. For a full list of publications click here.
- Borthwick LA, Neal A, Hobson L, Gerke V, Robson L & Muimo R (2008) The annexin 2-S100A10 complex and its association with TRPV6 is regulated by cAMP/PKA/CnA in airway and gut epithelia.. Cell Calcium, 44(2), 147-157.
- Borthwick LA, Riemen C, Goddard C, Colledge WH, Mehta A, Gerke V & Muimo R (2008) Defective formation of PKA/CnA-dependent annexin 2-S100A10/CFTR complex in DeltaF508 cystic fibrosis cells.. Cell Signal, 20(6), 1073-1083.
- Borthwick LA, McGaw J, Conner G, Taylor CJ, Gerke V, Mehta A, Robson L & Muimo R (2007) The formation of the cAMP/protein kinase A-dependent annexin 2-S100A10 complex with cystic fibrosis conductance regulator protein (CFTR) regulates CFTR channel function.. Mol Biol Cell, 18(9), 3388-3397.
- Muimo R, Crawford RM & Mehta A (2006) Nucleoside diphosphate kinase A as a controller of AMP-kinase in airway epithelia.. J Bioenerg Biomembr, 38(3-4), 181-187.
- Muimo R, Hornickova Z, Riemen CE, Gerke V, Matthews H & Mehta A (2000) Histidine phosphorylation of annexin I in airway epithelia.. J Biol Chem, 275(47), 36632-36636.