Professor Chris Newman MA PhD FRCP
Professor of Clinical Cardiology and Honorary Consultant Cardiologist
Department of Infection, Immunity & Cardiovascular Disease
University of Sheffield
Beech Hill Road
Tel: +44 (0)114 271 3194 - CRF Office
Tel: +44 (0) 114 215 9529 - University Office
Fax: +44 (0)114 271 1863
I joined the University in 1995 following an MRC Clinician Scientist Fellowship spent at the National Institute for Medical Research and Royal Postgraduate Medical School (1989-1992) and University of Cambridge (1992-1995). I was appointed as Director of the Clinical Research Facility in 2004, a joint initiative between the University and Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. The NIHR Sheffield CRF has units both at the Royal Hallamshire Hospital and Northern General Hospital. In September 2014, I took on the role of Faculty Director of Research & Innovation for the Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry & Health.
My main research interest is in non-viral gene delivery, particularly the use of high frequency ultrasound to promote plasmid-mediated vascular gene delivery. I also have interests in site specific targeting of gene therapy vectors, the vascular biology of pulmonary hypertension, the pathophysiology of sudden death in young diabetics, new approaches to the analysis of gene expression in acute coronary syndromes and links between the pathobiology of osteoporosis and cardiovascular disease.
I organise and deliver teaching within modules of the undergraduate medical student curriculum. I teach on courses related to the ethics and governance of clinical research.
For key publications see below. For a full list of publications click here.
- Hameed AG, Arnold ND, Chamberlain J, Pickworth JA, Paiva C, Dawson S, Cross S, Long L, Zhao L, Morrell NW, Crossman DC, Newman CMH, Kiely DG, Francis SE & Lawrie A (2012) Inhibition of tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL) reverses experimental pulmonary hypertension.. J Exp Med, 209(11), 1919-1935. View this article in WRRO
- Condliffe R, Pickworth JA, Hopkinson K, Walker SJ, Hameed AG, Suntharaligam J, Soon E, Treacy C, Pepke-Zaba J, Francis SE, Crossman DC, Newman CMH, Elliot CA, Morton AC, Morrell NW, Kiely DG & Lawrie A (2012) Serum osteoprotegerin is increased and predicts survival in idiopathic pulmonary arterial hypertension.. Pulm Circ, 2(1), 21-27. View this article in WRRO
- Sheridan PJ, Marques JLB, Newman CMH, Heller SR & Clayton RH (2010) Rate-dependent measures of repolarization predict inducibility of ventricular arrhythmias.. Europace, 12(4), 553-560.
- Newman CM, Crosdale DJ, Fisher KD, Briggs SS, Norman KE, Seymour LW & Hellewell PG (2009) P-selectin dependent targeting to inflamed endothelium of recombinant P-selectin glycoprotein ligand-1 immunoglobulin chimera-coated poly[N-(2-hydroxypropyl) methacrylamide]-DNA polyplexes in vivo visualised by intravital microscopy.. J Gene Med, 11(4), 326-334.
- Newman CMH, Starkey I, Buller N, Seabra-Gomes R, Kirby S, Hettiarachchi J, Cumberland D & Hillis WS (2005) Effects of sumatriptan and eletriptan on diseased epicardial coronary arteries.. Eur J Clin Pharmacol, 61(10), 733-742.
- Akowuah EF, Gray C, Lawrie A, Sheridan PJ, Su C-H, Bettinger T, Brisken AF, Gunn J, Crossman DC, Francis SE, Baker AH & Newman CM (2005) Ultrasound-mediated delivery of TIMP-3 plasmid DNA into saphenous vein leads to increased lumen size in a porcine interposition graft model.. Gene Ther, 12(14), 1154-1157.
- Sheridan PJ, Lawrie A, Crossman DC, Holt CM & Newman CM (2005) VP22-mediated intercellular transport correlates with enhanced biological activity of MybEngrailed but not (HSV-I) thymidine kinase fusion proteins in primary vascular cells following non-viral transfection.. J Gene Med, 7(3), 375-385.
- Lawrie A, Brisken AF, Francis SE, Wyllie D, Kiss-Toth E, Qwarnstrom EE, Dower SK, Crossman DC & Newman CM (2003) Ultrasound-enhanced transgene expression in vascular cells is not dependent upon cavitation-induced free radicals.. Ultrasound Med Biol, 29(10), 1453-1461.