Dr Ruth Payne [MBChB MSc PhD DTMH MRCP]
NIHR Clinical Lecturer
Department of Infection, Immunity and Cardiovascular Disease
University of Sheffield
Beech Hill Road
Tel: +44 (0) 114 215 9530
I joined the University of Sheffield in 2018 as an NIHR Academic Clinical Lecturer and Honorary SpR in Infectious Diseases and Microbiology.
I graduated from the University of Sheffield Medical School in 2005 and I have worked in Sheffield, New Zealand, Oxford and Nottingham since then.
My research interests are in vaccinology and malaria infection. I am particularly interested in looking at the innate responses to vaccination and how these are affected by changes in vaccine regimen or adjuvant.
I teach on the Diploma of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (DTM&H) in Sheffield. I am also involved in peer teaching and medical student teaching, particularly during the clinical stages of my post.
For Key Publications see below. For a full list of publications click here.
- Jin J, Tarrant RD, Bolam EJ, Angell-Manning P, Soegaard M, Pattinson DJ, Dulal P, Silk SE, Marshall JM, Dabbs RA, Nugent FL, Barrett JR, Hjerrild KA, Poulsen L, Jørgensen T, Brenner T, Baleanu IN, Parracho HM, Tahiri-Alaoui A, Whale G, Moyle S, Payne RO, Minassian AM, Higgins MK, Detmers FJ, Lawrie AM, Douglas AD, Smith R, de Jongh WA, Berrie E, Ashfield R & Draper SJ (2018) Production, quality control, stability, and potency of cGMP-produced Plasmodium falciparum RH5.1 protein vaccine expressed in Drosophila S2 cells. npj Vaccines, 3(1). View this article in WRRO
- Coughlan L, Sridhar S, Payne R, Edmans M, Milicic A, Venkatraman N, Lugonja B, Clifton L, Qi C, Folegatti PM, Lawrie AM, Roberts R, de Graaf H, Sukhtankar P, Faust SN, Lewis DJM, Lambe T, Hill A & Gilbert SC (2018) Heterologous Two-Dose Vaccination with Simian Adenovirus and Poxvirus Vectors Elicits Long-Lasting Cellular Immunity to Influenza Virus A in Healthy Adults. EBioMedicine, 29, 146—154-146—154. View this article in WRRO
- Payne RO, Silk SE, Elias SC, Miura K, Diouf A, Galaway F, de Graaf H, Brendish NJ, Poulton ID, Griffiths OJ, Edwards NJ, Jin J, Labbé GM, Alanine DG, Siani L, Di Marco S, Roberts R, Green N, Berrie E, Ishizuka AS, Nielsen CM, Bardelli M, Partey FD, Ofori MF, Barfod L, Wambua J, Murungi LM, Osier FH, Biswas S, McCarthy JS, Minassian AM, Ashfield R, Viebig NK, Nugent FL, Douglas AD, Vekemans J, Wright GJ, Faust SN, Hill AV, Long CA, Lawrie AM & Draper SJ (2017) Human vaccination against RH5 induces neutralizing antimalarial antibodies that inhibit RH5 invasion complex interactions. JCI insight, 2(21).
- Payne RO, Silk SE, Elias SC, Milne KH, Rawlinson TA, Llewellyn D, Shakri AR, Jin J, Labbé GM, Edwards NJ, Poulton ID, Roberts R, Farid R, Jørgensen T, Alanine DG, de Cassan SC, Higgins MK, Otto TD, McCarthy JS, de Jongh WA, Nicosia A, Moyle S, Hill AV, Berrie E, Chitnis CE, Lawrie AM & Draper SJ (2017) Human vaccination against Plasmodium vivax Duffy-binding protein induces strain-transcending antibodies. JCI insight, 2(12). View this article in WRRO
- Payne RO, Griffin PM, McCarthy JS & Draper SJ (2017) Plasmodium vivax Controlled Human Malaria Infection – Progress and Prospects. Trends in parasitology, 33(2), 141-150.
- Rampling T, Ewer KJ, Bowyer G, Bliss CM, Edwards NJ, Wright D, Payne RO, Venkatraman N, de Barra E, Snudden CM, Poulton ID, de Graaf H, Sukhtankar P, Roberts R, Ivinson K, Weltzin R, Rajkumar B-Y, Wille-Reece U, Lee CK, Ockenhouse CF, Sinden RE, Gerry S, Lawrie AM, Vekemans J, Morelle D, Lievens M, Ballou RW, Cooke GS, Faust SN, Gilbert S & Hill AVS (2016) Safety and High Level Efficacy of the Combination Malaria Vaccine Regimen of RTS,S/AS01B With Chimpanzee Adenovirus 63 and Modified Vaccinia Ankara Vectored Vaccines Expressing ME-TRAP. The Journal of infectious diseases, 214(5), 772-781. View this article in WRRO
- Payne RO, Milne KH, Elias SC, Edwards NJ, Douglas AD, Brown RE, Silk SE, Biswas S, Miura K, Roberts R, Rampling TW, Venkatraman N, Hodgson SH, Labbé GM, Halstead FD, Poulton ID, Nugent FL, de Graaf H, Sukhtankar P, Williams NC, Ockenhouse CF, Kathcart AK, Qabar AN, Waters NC, Soisson LA, Birkett AJ, Cooke GS, Faust SN, Woods C, Ivinson K, McCarthy JS, Diggs CL, Vekemans J, Long CA, Hill AVS, Lawrie AM, Dutta S & Draper SJ (2016) Demonstration of the Blood-Stage Plasmodium falciparum Controlled Human Malaria Infection Model to Assess Efficacy of the P. falciparum Apical Membrane Antigen 1 Vaccine, FMP2.1/AS01. The Journal of infectious diseases, 213(11), 1743-1751.
- Ewer K, Rampling T, Venkatraman N, Bowyer G, Wright D, Lambe T, Imoukhuede EB, Payne R, Fehling SK, Strecker T, Biedenkopf N, Krähling V, Tully CM, Edwards NJ, Bentley EM, Samuel D, Labbé G, Jin J, Gibani M, Minhinnick A, Wilkie M, Poulton I, Lella N, Roberts R, Hartnell F, Bliss C, Sierra-Davidson K, Powlson J, Berrie E, Tedder R, Roman F, De Ryck I, Nicosia A, Sullivan NJ, Stanley DA, Mbaya OT, Ledgerwood JE, Schwartz RM, Siani L, Colloca S, Folgori A, Di Marco S, Cortese R, Wright E, Becker S, Graham BS, Koup RA, Levine MM, Volkmann A, Chaplin P, Pollard AJ, Draper SJ, Ballou WR, Lawrie A, Gilbert SC & Hill AVS (2016) A Monovalent Chimpanzee Adenovirus Ebola Vaccine Boosted with MVA. The New England journal of medicine, 374, 1635-1646.