Dr Ruth Payne [MBChB MSc PhD DTMH MRCP]
NIHR Clinical Lecturer
Department of Infection, Immunity and Cardiovascular Disease
University of Sheffield
Beech Hill Road
Tel: +44 (0) 114 215 9530
I joined the University of Sheffield in 2018 as an NIHR Academic Clinical Lecturer and Honorary SpR in Infectious Diseases and Microbiology.
I graduated from the University of Sheffield Medical School in 2005 and I have worked in Sheffield, New Zealand, Oxford and Nottingham since then.
My research interests are in vaccinology and malaria infection. I am particularly interested in looking at the innate responses to vaccination and how these are affected by changes in vaccine regimen or adjuvant.
I teach on the Diploma of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (DTM&H) in Sheffield. I am also involved in peer teaching and medical student teaching, particularly during the clinical stages of my post.
For Key Publications see below. For a full list of publications click here.
- Jin J, Tarrant RD, Bolam EJ, Angell-Manning P, Soegaard M, Pattinson DJ, Dulal P, Silk SE, Marshall JM, Dabbs RA , Nugent FL et al (2018) Production, quality control, stability, and potency of cGMP-produced Plasmodium falciparum RH5.1 protein vaccine expressed in Drosophila S2 cells. npj Vaccines, 3(1). View this article in WRRO
- Coughlan L, Sridhar S, Payne R, Edmans M, Milicic A, Venkatraman N, Lugonja B, Clifton L, Qi C, Folegatti PM , Lawrie AM et al (2018) Heterologous Two-Dose Vaccination with Simian Adenovirus and Poxvirus Vectors Elicits Long-Lasting Cellular Immunity to Influenza Virus A in Healthy Adults. EBioMedicine, 29, 146-154. View this article in WRRO
- Payne RO, Silk SE, Elias SC, Miura K, Diouf A, Galaway F, de Graaf H, Brendish NJ, Poulton ID, Griffiths OJ , Edwards NJ et al (2017) Human vaccination against RH5 induces neutralizing antimalarial antibodies that inhibit RH5 invasion complex interactions. JCI insight, 2(21). View this article in WRRO
- Payne RO, Silk SE, Elias SC, Milne KH, Rawlinson TA, Llewellyn D, Shakri AR, Jin J, Labbé GM, Edwards NJ , Poulton ID et al (2017) Human vaccination against Plasmodium vivax Duffy-binding protein induces strain-transcending antibodies. JCI insight, 2(12). View this article in WRRO
- Payne RO, Griffin PM, McCarthy JS & Draper SJ (2017) Plasmodium vivax Controlled Human Malaria Infection – Progress and Prospects. Trends in parasitology, 33(2), 141-150. View this article in WRRO
- Rampling T, Ewer KJ, Bowyer G, Bliss CM, Edwards NJ, Wright D, Payne RO, Venkatraman N, de Barra E, Snudden CM , Poulton ID et al (2016) Safety and High Level Efficacy of the Combination Malaria Vaccine Regimen of RTS,S/AS01B With Chimpanzee Adenovirus 63 and Modified Vaccinia Ankara Vectored Vaccines Expressing ME-TRAP. The Journal of infectious diseases, 214(5), 772-781. View this article in WRRO
- Payne RO, Milne KH, Elias SC, Edwards NJ, Douglas AD, Brown RE, Silk SE, Biswas S, Miura K, Roberts R , Rampling TW et al (2016) Demonstration of the Blood-Stage Plasmodium falciparum Controlled Human Malaria Infection Model to Assess Efficacy of the P. falciparum Apical Membrane Antigen 1 Vaccine, FMP2.1/AS01. The Journal of infectious diseases, 213(11), 1743-1751. View this article in WRRO
- Ewer K, Rampling T, Venkatraman N, Bowyer G, Wright D, Lambe T, Imoukhuede EB, Payne R, Fehling SK, Strecker T , Biedenkopf N et al (2016) A Monovalent Chimpanzee Adenovirus Ebola Vaccine Boosted with MVA. The New England journal of medicine, 374, 1635-1646.