Professor Robert Storey BSc, BM, MRCP, DM, FESC
Professor and Honorary Consultant in Cardiology
Department of Infection, Immunity & Cardiovascular Disease
University of Sheffield
Beech Hill Road
Tel: +44 (0)114 215 9554
Fax: +44 (0)114 271 1863
Secretary: Mrs Vicky Cottam
Tel: +44 (0) 114 215 9504
I joined the University of Sheffield in 2002 as a Senior Clinical Lecturer in Cardiology and subsequently became Professor of Cardiology in January 2011. I am Head of the Platelet Research Group and Director of the Cardiovascular Research Unit. I am also Academic Director for the Cardiology and Cardiothoracic Surgery Directorate and an Honorary Consultant Cardiologist with Sheffield Teaching Hospitals National Health Service Foundation Trust. I have a special interest in antiplatelet therapy in the management of ischaemic heart disease, coronary intervention and prevention of atherothrombotic events. I am Past Chair of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) Working Group on Thrombosis (formerly Chair 2012-2014) and have been a member of 3 Task Forces for ESC Guidelines as well as author of many ESC position papers.
I received a BSc Hons in biochemistry from the University of York, UK, in 1985 before going on to obtain my medical degree (BM) from the University of Southampton in 1989. After completing general professional training, I trained in the fields of Cardiology and General (Internal) Medicine at Queen´s Medical Centre in Nottingham, completing specialist training in both fields in 2001. During that time, I developed a keen interest in thrombosis research, studying platelet biology and pharmacology, conducting clinical research studies in patients with cardiovascular disease and obtaining a postgraduate degree in research (DM) from the University of Nottingham. I have been an Executive/Steering Committee member of numerous international clinical trials and, at present, I am a member of the writing committees for the PLATO and PEGASUS studies and a member of the steering committees for the COMPLETE, RAPID-CTCA and OLD-RITA studies.
My principal research area is platelet biology and pharmacology. My particular interests are:
- platelet P2Y12 receptor and P2Y12 receptor antagonists.
- relationships between inflammation and thrombosis.
- clinical monitoring of antiplatelet agents.
- clinical trials of antithrombotic agents.
- genetic influences on platelet function and response to antiplatelet agents.
I am currently coordinator for the first year medical undergraduate Cardiovascular System module.
2015: Member of the NIHR EME board.
2000: DM with distinction, 'Novel platelet antagonists in the management of ischaemic heart disease', University of Nottingham.
1999: Young Investigators Award, International Society of Thrombosis and Haemostasis.
Numerous projects in the area of platelet pharmacology. Principal investigator for the PEGASUS platelet function substudy and STEEL PCI study.
For key publications see below. For a full list of publications click here.
- Alsharif KF, Thomas MR, Judge HM, Khan H, Prince LR, Sabroe I, Ridger VC & Storey RF (2015) Ticagrelor potentiates adenosine-induced stimulation of neutrophil chemotaxis and phagocytosis. Vascular Pharmacology, 71, 201-207. View this article in WRRO
- Bonaca MP, Bhatt DL, Cohen M, Steg PG, Storey RF, Jensen EC, Magnani G, Bansilal S, Fish MP, Im K, Bengtsson O, Ophuis TO, Budaj A, Theroux P, Ruda M, Hamm C, Goto S, Spinar J, Nicolau JC, Kiss RG, Murphy SA, Wiviott SD, Held P, Braunwald E & Sabatine MS (2015) Long-Term Use of Ticagrelor in Patients with Prior Myocardial Infarction. New England Journal of Medicine, 372(19), 1791-1800.
- Montalescot G, van 't Hof AW, Lapostolle F, Silvain J, Lassen JF, Bolognese L, Cantor WJ, Cequier Á, Chettibi M, Goodman SG, Hammett CJ, Huber K, Janzon M, Merkely B, Storey RF, Zeymer U, Stibbe O, Ecollan P, Heutz WMJM, Swahn E, Collet J-P, Willems FF, Baradat C, Licour M, Tsatsaris A, Vicaut E & Hamm CW (2014) Prehospital Ticagrelor in ST-Segment Elevation Myocardial Infarction. New England Journal of Medicine, 371(11), 1016-1027.
- West LE, Steiner T, Judge HM, Francis SE & Storey RF (2014) Vessel wall, not platelet, P2Y12 potentiates early atherogenesis.. Cardiovasc Res, 102(3), 429-435.
- Storey RF, Becker RC, Harrington RA, Husted S, James SK, Cools F, Steg PG, Khurmi NS, Emanuelsson H, Cooper A, Cairns R, Cannon CP & Wallentin L (2011) Characterization of dyspnoea in PLATO study patients treated with ticagrelor or clopidogrel and its association with clinical outcomes.. Eur Heart J, 32(23), 2945-2953.
- Patil SB, Jackman LE, Francis SE, Judge HM, Nylander S & Storey RF (2010) Ticagrelor effectively and reversibly blocks murine platelet P2Y12-mediated thrombosis and demonstrates a requirement for sustained P2Y12 inhibition to prevent subsequent neointima.. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol, 30(12), 2385-2391.
- Storey RF, Angiolillo DJ, Patil SB, Desai B, Ecob R, Husted S, Emanuelsson H, Cannon CP, Becker RC & Wallentin L (2010) Inhibitory effects of ticagrelor compared with clopidogrel on platelet function in patients with acute coronary syndromes: the PLATO (PLATelet inhibition and patient Outcomes) PLATELET substudy.. J Am Coll Cardiol, 56(18), 1456-1462.
- Storey RF, Bliden KP, Patil SB, Karunakaran A, Ecob R, Butler K, Teng R, Wei C, Tantry US, Gurbel PA & ONSET/OFFSET Investigators (2010) Incidence of dyspnea and assessment of cardiac and pulmonary function in patients with stable coronary artery disease receiving ticagrelor, clopidogrel, or placebo in the ONSET/OFFSET study.. J Am Coll Cardiol, 56(3), 185-193.
- Wallentin L, Becker RC, Budaj A, Cannon CP, Emanuelsson H, Held C, Horrow J, Husted S, James S, Katus H, Mahaffey KW, Scirica BM, Skene A, Steg PG, Storey RF, Harrington RA & PLATO Investigators (2009) Ticagrelor versus Clopidogrel in Patients with Acute Coronary Syndromes. NEW ENGL J MED, 361(11), 1045-1057.
- Evans DJW, Jackman LE, Chamberlain J, Crosdale DJ, Judge HM, Jetha K, Norman KE, Francis SE & Storey RF (2009) Platelet P2Y(12) receptor influences the vessel wall response to arterial injury and thrombosis.. Circulation, 119(1), 116-122.