Professor Robert Storey BSc, BM, DM, FRCP, FESC
Professor of Cardiology
Department of Infection, Immunity & Cardiovascular Disease
University of Sheffield
Beech Hill Road
Tel: +44 (0)114 215 9554
Fax: +44 (0)114 271 1863
I joined the University of Sheffield in 2002 as a Senior Clinical Lecturer in Cardiology and subsequently became Professor of Cardiology in January 2011. I am Head of the Platelet Research Group and Director of the Cardiovascular Research Unit. I am also Academic Director for the Cardiology and Cardiothoracic Surgery Directorate and an Honorary Consultant Cardiologist with Sheffield Teaching Hospitals National Health Service Foundation Trust. I have a special interest in atherothrombosis and antithrombotic therapy in the management of ischaemic heart disease, including coronary intervention. I was Chair of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) Working Group on Thrombosis 2012-2014 and have been a member of 3 Task Forces for ESC Guidelines as well as author of many ESC position papers.
I received a BSc Hons in biochemistry from the University of York, UK, in 1985 before going on to obtain my medical degree (BM) from the University of Southampton in 1989. After completing general professional training, I trained in the fields of Cardiology and General (Internal) Medicine at Queen´s Medical Centre in Nottingham, completing specialist training in both fields in 2001. During that time, I developed a keen interest in thrombosis research, studying platelet biology and pharmacology, conducting clinical research studies in patients with cardiovascular disease and obtaining a postgraduate degree in research (DM) from the University of Nottingham. I have been an Executive/Steering Committee member of numerous international clinical trials such as the PLATO and PEGASUS-TIMI 54 studies and am currently a member of the steering committees for the COMPLETE, RAPID-CTCA, SENIOR-RITA, AUGUSTUS and CLEAR-SYNERGY studies.
My principal research area is atherothrombosis. My particular interests are:
- platelet pharmacology.
- relationships between inflammation and atherothrombosis.
- fibrin clot properties and thrombotic risk.
- cardiovascular clinical trials.
- clinical practice guidelines.
I am currently coordinator for the first year medical undergraduate Cardiovascular System module.
2017: Member of the BHF Fellowships Committee.
2015: Member of the NIHR EME board.
2000: DM with distinction, 'Novel platelet antagonists in the management of ischaemic heart disease', University of Nottingham.
1999: Young Investigators Award, International Society of Thrombosis and Haemostasis.
Numerous projects in the areas of antithrombotic therapy and acute coronary syndromes.
For key publications see below. For a full list of publications click here.
- Orme RC, Parker WAE, Thomas MR, Judge HM, Baster K, Sumaya W, Morgan KP, McMellon HC, Richardson JD, Grech ED , Wheeldon NM et al (2018) Study of Two Dose Regimens of Ticagrelor Compared with Clopidogrel in Patients Undergoing Percutaneous Coronary Intervention for Stable Coronary Artery Disease (STEEL-PCI). Circulation, 138(13), 1290-1300. View this article in WRRO
- Sumaya W, Wallentin L, James SK, Siegbahn A, Gabrysch K, Bertilsson M, Himmelmann A, Ajjan RA & Storey RF (2018) Fibrin clot properties independently predict adverse clinical outcome following acute coronary syndrome: A PLATO substudy. European Heart Journal, 39(13), 1078-1085. View this article in WRRO
- Storey RF, Angiolillo DJ, Bonaca MP, Thomas MR, Judge HM, Rollini F, Franchi F, Ahsan AJ, Bhatt DL, Kuder JF , Steg PG et al (2016) Platelet Inhibition With Ticagrelor 60 mg Versus 90 mg Twice Daily in the PEGASUS-TIMI 54 Trial. Journal of the American College of Cardiology, 67(10), 1145-1154.
- Thomas MR, Outteridge SN, Ajjan RA, Phoenix F, Sangha GK, Faulkner RE, Ecob R, Judge HM, Khan H, West LE , Dockrell DH et al (2015) Platelet P2Y 12 Inhibitors Reduce Systemic Inflammation and Its Prothrombotic Effects in an Experimental Human Model. Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, 35(12), 2562-2570. View this article in WRRO
- Bonaca MP, Bhatt DL, Cohen M, Steg PG, Storey RF, Jensen EC, Magnani G, Bansilal S, Fish MP, Im K , Bengtsson O et al (2015) Long-Term Use of Ticagrelor in Patients with Prior Myocardial Infarction. New England Journal of Medicine, 372(19), 1791-1800.
- Montalescot G, van 't Hof AW, Lapostolle F, Silvain J, Lassen JF, Bolognese L, Cantor WJ, Cequier Á, Chettibi M, Goodman SG , Hammett CJ et al (2014) Prehospital Ticagrelor in ST-Segment Elevation Myocardial Infarction. New England Journal of Medicine, 371(11), 1016-1027.
- West LE, Steiner T, Judge HM, Francis SE & Storey RF (2014) Vessel wall, not platelet, P2Y12 potentiates early atherogenesis.. Cardiovasc Res, 102(3), 429-435.
- Storey RF, Becker RC, Harrington RA, Husted S, James SK, Cools F, Steg PG, Khurmi NS, Emanuelsson H, Cooper A , Cairns R et al (2011) Characterization of dyspnoea in PLATO study patients treated with ticagrelor or clopidogrel and its association with clinical outcomes.. Eur Heart J, 32(23), 2945-2953.
- Patil SB, Jackman LE, Francis SE, Judge HM, Nylander S & Storey RF (2010) Ticagrelor effectively and reversibly blocks murine platelet P2Y12-mediated thrombosis and demonstrates a requirement for sustained P2Y12 inhibition to prevent subsequent neointima.. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol, 30(12), 2385-2391.
- Storey RF, Angiolillo DJ, Patil SB, Desai B, Ecob R, Husted S, Emanuelsson H, Cannon CP, Becker RC & Wallentin L (2010) Inhibitory effects of ticagrelor compared with clopidogrel on platelet function in patients with acute coronary syndromes: the PLATO (PLATelet inhibition and patient Outcomes) PLATELET substudy.. J Am Coll Cardiol, 56(18), 1456-1462.
- Storey RF, Bliden KP, Patil SB, Karunakaran A, Ecob R, Butler K, Teng R, Wei C, Tantry US, Gurbel PA & ONSET/OFFSET Investigators (2010) Incidence of dyspnea and assessment of cardiac and pulmonary function in patients with stable coronary artery disease receiving ticagrelor, clopidogrel, or placebo in the ONSET/OFFSET study.. J Am Coll Cardiol, 56(3), 185-193.
- Wallentin L, Becker RC, Budaj A, Cannon CP, Emanuelsson H, Held C, Horrow J, Husted S, James S, Katus H , Mahaffey KW et al (2009) Ticagrelor versus Clopidogrel in Patients with Acute Coronary Syndromes. NEW ENGL J MED, 361(11), 1045-1057.
- Evans DJW, Jackman LE, Chamberlain J, Crosdale DJ, Judge HM, Jetha K, Norman KE, Francis SE & Storey RF (2009) Platelet P2Y(12) receptor influences the vessel wall response to arterial injury and thrombosis.. Circulation, 119(1), 116-122.