English language requirements
The accepted English language requirements for international students are as follows:
- Undergraduate applicants are required to achieve a minimum of IELTS 6.0 with 5.5 in each component or equivalent.
- Postgraduate applicants are required to achieve a minimum of IELTS 6.5 with 6.0 in each component or equivalent.
- Some academic departments may require a higher score.
Most academic departments are able to make conditional offers to applicants who do not meet the English language requirements when they apply for an academic programme. A conditional offer is subject to applicants achieving the required level of English before starting the programme.
If you have completed a first degree taught in English in a majority native English speaking country, we will not normally require you to provide other evidence of English language ability.
For students who need to improve their English before the start of their academic programme, the University's English Language Teaching Centre provides long and short term English preparation programmes.
For students who do not meet the academic or English Language requirements, the University of Sheffield International College offers pathways to undergraduate and postgraduate study.
Students can choose to study an International Foundation Year in the following subjects:
- International Foundation Year in Business, Social Sciences and Humanities
- International Foundation Year in Science and Engineering
- International Foundation Year in Dentistry
Students can choose to study a Pre-Masters in the following subjects:
Upon successful completion, students can progress to an undergraduate or postgraduate degree at the University of Sheffield.
Upcoming events for offer holders and enquirers
We're running a series of information sessions, student panels and virtual activities to help you understand what Sheffield has to offer.