EU students and fees and funding

If you're a student from the European Union, read on to find out specific fees and funding information.


Students starting university in 2020/21 academic year

Fees and funding

The UK government has confirmed that EU students starting in September 2020 will continue to be eligible for Home fee status, meaning that they will pay the same fees as UK students. EU students will also be able to access financial support for the duration of their course.

UK government statement on funding support for EU students: 2020


The UK will leave the European Union (EU) at 11pm (GMT) on 31 December 2020, but will leave on the basis of an agreement made between the UK and the EU known as the Withdrawal Agreement. 

EU, non-EU EEA nationals and Swiss citizens and their eligible family members can still come to the UK (without requiring a visa) until the end of the transitional/ implementation period (31 December 2020). They can apply for immigration permission in the UK under a scheme designed by the UK government known as the EU Settlement Scheme. They will need to do this if they wish to remain in the UK after the end of the transitional/implementation period, or otherwise will need to apply under another category of the immigration rules. Those arriving from 1 January 2021 will need to apply for immigration permission to come to the UK under a category of the immigration rules which are in place at that time.

More information and advice

Students starting university in 2021/22 academic year

Fees and Funding 

If your course starts on or after the 1 August 2021 you will no longer be eligible for home fee status, undergraduate, postgraduate and further education financial support from Student Finance England. However, you will now be eligible for our generous international scholarship package: International Scholarships

You may still be eligible for home fee status, funding and Student Finance support if you meet one of the following criteria:

  • you are able to benefit from the citizens rights agreements
  • you are an Irish national living in the UK or Republic of Ireland - benefits of Irish nationals under the Common Travel Area arrangement will continue
  • If you are a British or Irish National living in the EU/EEA or Switzerland

It will not affect students starting courses in the academic year 2020/21.


The UK Home Office announced on Thursday 10 September that student visa applications via the new Student Route would open for applications on 5 October. 

Students from EU countries (including EEA and Switzerland) will need to successfully apply for a visa through the new system if they are coming to the UK from 1 January 2021 onwards. EU/EEA/Swiss students who are already in the UK before 1 January 2021 should apply for the EU Settlement Scheme. 

For more information, please visit our Student Visas and Immigration web pages

International students

The information detailed here is for EU students only. If you are not from the European Union, please refer to our international tuition fees information.

Details of how we define 'overseas' and 'home/EU' students for the purpose of charging tuition fees: Verification of an applicant's fee status